Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/155/135

Height: 5'3"

Default Anybody else juicing?

I've recently added juicing to my diet and wondered if anyone else here is doing it? I'm coming back from a recent illness and am trying to keep my eating as clean as possible. I've been juicing in addition to eating healthy foods, and not doing a juice fast. Although my husband did a juice fast for 10 days and lost 30lbs! I'm leaning more towards a healthy balance of foods in my diet, than a quick drop in weight. Hopefully losing the extra lbs will be a bonus for me. Plus I've been using the juice almost as medicine to help with some of the side effects of the illness I went through. Ginger has been a life saver for me!

So I was just wondering what other juicers were doing? Maybe we could share some favorite recipes and tips to help keep the momentum going.
Micki k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 233/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

I do shakes every morning and a juice with my dinner almost every evening.

My morning shakes consist of pineapple, spinach, frozen banana and unsweet almond milk.

My evening juicing is usually chard, kale or collards (if I have from my garden I also use brocolli leaves and/or cauliflower leaves) apples, carrotts and a bit of lemon. Sometimes I'll add half a cucumber and/or celery. A bit of lemon actually neutralizes the taste of some of the stronger vegetables.
seaurchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:54 PM   #3  

I've generally understood juicing to be a good 'supplement' to your diet, as opposed to a weight loss strategy. Leafy greens tend to be on the awesome side of things, though it's important to switch things up once in a while so your body gets a good range of different nutrients. Carrots, beets, parsnips and fruit are all pretty high in sugar, so be sure to keep that in mind when you add them to your daily consumption!

If you're looking to use it as a possible meal replacement option, I'd definitely recommend blending instead of juicing; the extra fiber helps regulate digestion and stabilize blood sugar levels. Also, it's more filling!

Apart from that, I've heard that starchy veg (eg. carrots, beets, etc.) don't play well in your tummy when juiced alongside fruit (except lemons/limes) because your system changes it's priorities when digesting both starch and simple sugars (ie. the fructose in fruit). No idea if that's true, but it holds with the 'not too much sugar' guideline side of things anyway, so not a huge deal.

I'll look forward to hearing more tips about juicing here as well! Thanks for asking so I don't have to
Defining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:02 AM   #4  

S/C/G: See tracker!

Height: 5'4''

I haven't bought my juicer yet, but I'm planning to really soon! My family used to juice when I was a little kiddo and it was always so much fun picking out and combining different veggies to make juice with.

If you're interested, you can look up rebootwithjoe.com and get his juicing cleanse free downloads (did you notice the free part?) A friend of mine is almost done with the 10-day one and on the first day he lost 5 lbs. It was pretty crazy lol. I'm not sure if that's the one your husband did or not, but there's a ton of other juicing cleanses out there too. Joe also has an awesome documentary called Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead on Netflix. It's about him going on a juicing fast for 3 months and basically rebooting his entire physical health. It was so cool to watch!

As far as I know right now, if you juice fruits only in the morning, it's better for you during the day due to the way it digests/blood sugar and all that. You can always read into that info more if you'd like!

If you find anymore info, let me know! I'd love to share recipes together. Good luck!
cdavidowsky37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:38 AM   #5  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

There are so many beneficial things left out of a juice (and i doubt its just fibre) that i think the only good option for drinking juice is as a treat rather than as an excellent source of nutrients.

A juice is like having a jaguar/sportscar/rollsroyce without an engine.

Also with juice, especially fruit juice, its full of acid so you must rinse your mouth well with water after if you don't want to lose your enamel. A dentist told me that.

The fruit and veggies themselves are generally so low cal you can't over eat them.

And then there's the cost.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:41 AM   #6  

I did a juice *feast* (juicing with some fresh, cooked veggies and I added 1.5oz of almonds and two protein shakes) for 10 days in december and lost 6 pounds...would have kept it up because after the 3rd day I felt AMAZING...but then Christmas dinner came >.<

But today is actually day 1...I'm starting it up again because I loved how I felt and my body was responded beautifully! Seriously though...I have always been a hard core *I need my meat* kinda gal...and I don't think that's bad...but while juicing my energy skyrocketed, my skin completely cleared up, I was sleeping soundly through the night, and I was still able to work out for an hour and half three times a week!

Haha now I'm getting myself all excited to do it again!
RideRunRepeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:00 PM   #7  
banned

S/C/G: 25/21.6/0

Height: 5'8"

If you go on YouTube and search for Dan the Life Regenerator McDonald and also Fully Raw Kristina, they have great juice recipes. One of my favorite that I make all of the time is Dan's Lemon Ginger Blast. It's expensive to make (10 ingredients!), but it's soooo tasty.
Dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:04 PM   #8  
Food and Wine Lover

S/C/G: Goal Weight: 125

Height: 5'3"

I've been juicing for years, I just love it. I have a lot of limitations with my diet. I don't tolerate the peels on veggies/fruits, nor can I have raw veggies/fruits without some kind of acid reflux...but I found that juicing is okay for my digestion. I know it lacks the fiber, but I can get my fiber elsewhere. My favourite daily breakfast juice is a mix of carrots, spinach and apple.

What is the benefit of ginger? I know it's good for the stomach, but I don't know much else about it as a juice.
Chardonnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:54 PM   #9  

I haven't yet, but I want to!
You can't go wrong with all those nutrients.
Amy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:38 PM   #10  

Default Nutribullet - Good or Bad?

I'm retired and on a fixed income so I can't afford to purchase the Cadillac type juicers that all so called weightloss gurus promote. I can however, afford the Nutri-bullet with its payment plan.

Has anyone tried it and what can you tell me about it? I am more or less house bound because of nerve damage to my feet and cannot do much in the way of physical exercise. Walking alone is very painful so I must do something to lower my weight to a healthy level. I recently purchased some books at the local thrift store on eating whole foods and hope to begin following their course of dieting.

I'm hoping that together, the juicing and the whole foods plan, will help me lose what I must before suffering a fatal heart attack. Or, as my doctor put it, lose weight or die. Nice guy.

I don't know what the difference is in the juicers, but just watching the infomercial for the N-B makes sense as far as the fiber and roughage is concerned. I've considered saving up for one of the more expensive one's touted by the guru's but they must be getting an affiliate commission on the sales generated through their links. I only want what works and not one I can brag about having.

Any feed back would be appreciated.

Thanks, Alex

PS - I don't know what a trackback is below here so I'm leaving it blank.

Last edited by alex1944; 05-11-2014 at 08:10 PM.
alex1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:46 PM   #11  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

I think the nutribullet would be good if you are not straining out the solids. Otherwise strained juices cannot be considered whole foods or weightloss foods. They should only be used as dehydrator and quick easy energy when you can't access proper food.

I haven't got a nutribullet but i have seen them advertise and it looks like it might be a whole food drink which would be good. As far as a gadget goes, i think they look pretty good. Pretty fuss free. I've heard others on this forum say they like them.

Last edited by Pattience; 05-11-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:09 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattience View Post
I think the nutribullet would be good if you are not straining out the solids. Otherwise strained juices cannot be considered whole foods or weightloss foods. They should only be used as dehydrator and quick easy energy when you can't access proper food.

I haven't got a nutribullet but i have seen them advertise and it looks like it might be a whole food drink which would be good. As far as a gadget goes, i think they look pretty good. Pretty fuss free. I've heard others on this forum say they like them.
Thank you! That was a quick reply. One point in favor!

-Alex
alex1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:01 PM   #13  

Smile Fellow Juicer Here

Hi! Congratulations for getting this far. I'm so glad you are feeling better regarding your illness. Juicing is definitely a wonderful thing for your body.

I also only do cleanses a couple of times a year but I incorporate 2 juices every day as my regular diet. I'll do a breakfast juice with fruits,oats,chia seeds etc and then a veggie juice in the afternoon with kale, cucumber, carrots, tomatoes, and maybe add some pineapple for additional sweetness. I just go produce crazy and throw everything in my Vitamix! It's the best. I've been doing it for almost 2 years and it's been life changing. I keep it fresh and mix and match so I keep it interesting.

I also have had health challenges and am currently in a good space. Ginger is awesome I agree. Great for inflammation and upset stomach!

Also try fresh garlic and aloe. Both have wonderful natural healing properties!

Good luck with everything. Thanks for the post!
healthforlife11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:40 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 223/197/120

Height: 5'5

LOVE juices! I have a slow juicer (Hurom, got it on sale) and often make a huge batch that will last me for two days.
This is my go-to juice:
kale, green apple, cucumber, lemon, ginger.

Super delicious! I feel it balances my blood sugar in the morning. I've been off it for a while and really saw a difference. I'm more bloated and feel extra tired in the afternoon (plus I'm having nasty sugar cravings). Juices are the best!
muguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:12 PM   #15  

Default Omega 2005

I've noticed when I juice that my body functions better. My favorite is

green apple, beet, kale, carrot and ginger.
YogaPrincess7 is offline   Reply With Quote