General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-07-2014, 10:57 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/280/130

Height: 5' 6"

Default Just Getting Started - Please help!

Hey everyone!

Basically I have just started my weight loss journey weighing in at a massive 290 pounds at only 19. I have gotten to the stage where I can't accept it anymore (was an athlete until a couple of years ago) and basically am hoping to lose about 160 pounds in about a year.

I started about 12 days ago limiting my calorie intake, cutting out the crap and walking everyday for 45 minutes with intermittent weight training. I drink about 4litres of water per day. So, I am eating about 1000 - 1200 calories per day, average day:

Breakfast:

Small tub of yoghurt
Banana
2 weetbix with vegemite

Snack:

Slice of lite cheese
6 almonds

Lunch:
Light cup of soup
Cruskit with lite cheese and light springwater tuna

Snack:
6 almonds
Handful red grapes

Dinner:
Meal replacement shake (slim right chocolate)

I find I'm not having a hard time with the amount of food (never ate a lot to begin with: just terrible foods and ate at weird times) and haven't slipped up yet. However, I can't motivate myself to exercise everyday but I do work in retail on my feet all day.

I was hoping for people's thoughts on my plan and goals but was also hoping to have some questions answered.

What's the go with stretch marks and saggy skin? My gp said my skin should be quite elastic because I am only 19 but I was hoping to hear from someone who has been through the experience and knows.

Will I lose weight faster because I was a rower and have only just put on the weight in the last 18 months?

If I go off the pill will that help me to drop weight? (I gained when I first went on it)

Any tips for staying motivated?

Thanks guys I really appreciate any help!

Good luck to you all x
hayleylaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:18 AM   #2  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Sorry to say it to you harley but this diet plan is a really really bad idea.

Firstly there's no vegetables or fruit in it.
Secondly you are taking insufficient calcium - you are setting yourself up for osteoporosis in later life, but earlier than normal.
Not to mention every other vitamin or mineral most likely -this alone will cause you to fail.
This diet seems to be lacking in everything, including calories.

I haven't worked out if trying to lose 160 pounds in a year is reasonable or not, but i am sure this diet won't work.

The briefest way i can show you how to go would be to suggest you read my food diary blog at the bottom of the page. I'm not saying its perfect or perfect for you. But there is plenty in there that you need to know and incorporate into what you are doing.

The exercise you've opted for looks fine although you should have at least one or two days off a week from exercise to prevent burnout/boredom and give your body a rest.

So i wonder what happened to cause this weight increase in such a short time. Probably something to do with going from a lot of exercise to none? And not phasing down your eating at the same time? Would it be something like that? In the past i've always found that sudden life changes cause weight increase so you have to structure a diet that can take you through such changes and that you can live with for the rest of your life.

Because of things like that i didn't even start my exercise program until very recently -and i've been dieting since the beginning of the year. And i'm a bit nervous about what will happen when i stop this fitness trend i'm just starting. It is likely to stop around the end of the year when its get too hot and i haven't got a goal anymore.

So now i've had a look at how much you have to lose every week for the rest of the year and i can tell you, its not going to happen. Almost impossible, given the nature of reality.

If i was you the first thing i'd do is let go the end of year expectation.
The second thing i would do is increase your calories and nutrition significantly.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/280/130

Height: 5' 6"

Thanks for your reply!

That was what I ate today but i do eat quite a bit of fruit and veggies! Probably a bad example of a day; my bad.

You are definitely right about the weight gain. I was a rower in high school and gave it up when I turned 17, started working at kfc and went on the pill all at the same time! Then I turned 18, went to uni and started drinking and just let the problem get the best of me basically.

Just to clarify as well: I was hoping to lose 160 pounds in about a year, not by the end of the year, which works out to just under 3 pounds a week. It's ok if it doesn't happen and I understand that weight loss will slow down as time goes on but it's just a rough time frame

My gp (who also happens to be my stepdad) told me to eat between 1000-1200 calories a day and exercise and the weight will fall off and I am starting lite n easy 1200 meal plan next week. But your response and other research also seem to think that this amount is not enough. What calorie intake would you recommend for me?

Thankfully I am still reasonably quite strong and fit (I know it sounds silly given my weight) from my rowing days but I just can't find the motivation! Just pure laziness.

Also, I have never really liked drinking milk or dairy products (besides cheese); do you have any suggestions for upping my calcium intake?

Thank you!
hayleylaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:00 PM   #4  
stop wishing, start doing

S/C/G: 215/185/155

Height: 5'7

Hello and welcome to 3FC!!!

A good place to start with calorie intake is your currant weight X10, then subtract 500 calories from that. This will give you the amount of calories you should eat to lose 2lbs a week so if your going for 3lbs a week you could probably just shave a little more off.

some non-dairy sources of calcium are broccoli, collard greens, kale, bok choy, and oranges. There are also foods fortified with calcium like almond milk, orange juice, and oatmeal. (Just make sure the package says fortified w/ calcium)

To stay motivated browse the boards here!! Also remember why you are doing this, or you can make a motivation/inspiration vision board or on pinterest.

I wish you well on your journey & have a great day hope to see you around!
xopeaceandlovexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:12 PM   #5  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Hi! Welcome I don't have much of a comment on your dieting plan but I do wish you luck and hope everything works out for you.

Regarding your birth control pills, many people do gain weight initially but the effects only typically last for a few months and then your appetite and weight should level out. Most likely, any weight gain after those first few months on the pill was related to other factors. However, if you notice you struggle to lose weight, I'd talk to your gyno about changing pills. If you're taking them for a reason (you know, to prevent babies or for other health-related issues!) I would definitely not go off of them just because you think it may help you lose weight
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:28 PM   #6  
banned

Hayley, what a relief to read your response!

first there's an article i just read here that someone posted, it would be a good idea for you to read it. What's it called….i can't remember but i will dig up the link for you. The point that i want to get across to you from that particularly (although all of it is well wroth all of us reading) is that gp's cannot be relied upon for dietary advice. They tend to lack sufficient education about it. No offence to your step dad. Actually my own gp seems to have no clues either as we've discussed how so many people come in blah blah blah. I was surprised actually.

Anyway what next. Well peace has given you a much better place to start your calories point from.

There are other ways but what she suggests i've heard often enough, and know its not unhealthy. However for long term weightloss, i think 500 calories reduction can seem a bit severe after a while. It might depend on what your starting weight is. I just know that for me at around 170 or 180 pounds a reduction that enabled 2 pound loss a week cause me to be too hungry. I started off trying to lose about half a pound a week so bear that in mind when you get down to that sort of weight. And don't worry, most people lose more than 2-3 pounds a week to start with anyway.

And have little pauses once in a while, say every three months, when you can increase your calories a little bit for a little while, say a month. This won't cause you to regain weight but it will help reprogram your body. Its a complicated topic and i don't want to go into it here but you can read about it in a book called the Don't Go Hungry Diet also written by an Australian who has been around about your weight at around about your age. I am not suggesting you follow her program but there is a ton in that book which is of great benefit to us all. I believe. The writer is a scientist in the field and now also works with people with food disorders as an extra part of her career.

The motivation for exercise will come. Don't force yourself if you are not ready. I actually find it very easy to start a diet without exercise. I've just started a running program four months into my diet. A really easy one. Only twice a week. yay! i love easy. But i want to win, not just run in it, a 10km race at the end of the year. (I'm counting on all the best athletes competing in the longer races).

Well if you don't like dairy, there's no point me telling you to drink milk. The stronger flavoured cheese like parmesan and aged cheddar apparently have higher calcium or is it protein content. Anyway re cheese, i suggest sticking with eating good quality cheese. If you can afford to avoid it, try eating mainly the good stuff. I really love the goats fetta cheese you can buy in a green box at the supermarket. Since i'm an aussie too, i know you can come across the same thing. I add little bits of that to my salads for flavour. The thing is when you food is quality, you can feel better eating less of it.

Sorry off topic. I don't' really know too much about other sources of calcium but you can find them on line easy enough with google. I drink milk and yoghurt so its not issue for me. But don't forget you need sunlight and potassium to absorb it as well So that's where the balanced diet and lifestyle comes in. Work on this while you are young because at around mid 40s (i forget) your body stops up taking calcium into the bones.

btw my father was a rower in his school days. He's 78 now and still as strong as an ox. Even when rowing. He's much much stronger than me. He is also a lot taller which partially explains it too.

Have you ever tried yoga? my favourite is Iyenga and if you are from the sydney area there is a great teacher around there called Alan Goode.

Or take up dancing. Or adventure sport. No hurry but these are good options. SErious bushwalkers burn through some calories too. I was in a club once for a short while in tassie. They'd go off each weekend for an all stride. They get to see lots of wonderful places. Anyway options for the future.

I had another tip but its gone out of my mind. Another book i've just read which i like is French Women Don't get fat. Its influenced my style of eating a little bit too. And i already know a bit about french eating styles but it was good to read it.

ah oh yes, read the discussion about TDEE another thread. I found it interesting to discover a TDEE website with lots of calculators and gadget and stuff.

Well i'll get that thread details and otherwise good luck.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:33 PM   #7  
banned

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...on-health.html

Oh i remember the other point i wanted to make. Some, or a lot, of people get upset by the massive and constant fluctuations of the scales. This is completely unnecessary. There are always sensible reasons for it and usually it has nothing to do with fat, not when its overnight. So someone suggested that if it bothers you to average out the daily readings over the course of a week. But even it may not be the whole story because of the impact of the menstrual cycle on water retention.

Anyway so long as you know you are not over eating calories, you are going to be on the right track for most of the time.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:58 PM   #8  

For now, beyond adding more to your diet, just STICK with it for a month and see what happens. It certainly won't add weight. Don't beat yourself up about exercise - that's a whole new hurdle. Just make sure that you got down some routine (that you can always tweak) to autopilot so that you can demonstrate to yourself that you can keep at it.

Personally speaking, things that cause me to think too hard or overplan (tends to happen when I start new things) causes me to burn out early.

Last edited by pixelllate; 05-07-2014 at 12:59 PM.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:10 PM   #9  
stop wishing, start doing

S/C/G: 215/185/155

Height: 5'7

Pattience I have to thank you for bringing up calcium!! While reading this I was thinking about my own calcium intake and realized I have been lacking there also! Oops!! I will be reaching for the almond milk later =) thanks again
xopeaceandlovexo is offline   Reply With Quote