Old 04-10-2014, 09:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/249/170

Height: 5'7

Default Clothing Dilemma - What have you done?

Morning Everyone,

I am running into a small dilemma with my wardrobe - simply put, I don't have enough clothes for the current size I am but since I am working out and exercising - I would hate to buy clothes today and not fit in them in a month. It seems like a waste of money, however - I currently have one pair of pants and maybe five shirts I am shuffling through.

Do I just bite the cost and buy some clothes to get me through the next few months? How has everyone else handled their wardrobe with changing weight.

Thanks!
SugarRomeoTango4852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:17 AM   #2  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Second hand stores and consignment stores are a good place to start!

Then if you have to go shopping for brand new stuff, try and find the most versatile things you can. One or two things that you can easily mix and match.

I have vowed to wear my current clothes until they literally are falling off or worn out. I just cleaned out my closet of all of the things that are WAY to big and that I know I will never wear again and am left with very little. I have no issues wearing the same couple of things over and over again for the time being though. I would rather repeat now and save my money for goal shopping. I have started saving tip money from my second job specifically for goal clothes!

Perhaps you have someone who can sew very well who might be able to alter your clothes a bit to make them last a little longer too!
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:24 AM   #3  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarRomeoTango4852 View Post
Do I just bite the cost and buy some clothes to get me through the next few months? How has everyone else handled their wardrobe with changing weight.
Simply put, yes.

Even just one more pair of pants, for now, will make you feel so much better. I second the thrift shops, and definitely shop clearance. (I am currently wearing a pair of purple pants I would have never worn but they were $7 and they fit, and actually look quite nice lol). I've also been buying the same style of pants in different sizes as I go down, so I keep an eye out if they go on sale and buy the next size down - I know I like them and it takes the stress out of trying clothes on!

If money is really a concern, see if you're able to consign any of your current clothing. But I think you'd be surprised what you can find with a little time at a thrift shop!
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:39 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 275/249/170

Height: 5'7

Thank you both for your responses - I've picked through the Thrift shop/salvation army around here (we don't have many!) and all the clothes are pretty thread bare and/or worn out. I will keep picking but I think I am going to have to find some new duds.
SugarRomeoTango4852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:48 AM   #5  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I cannot wear super baggy clothes and feel good about myself, so i've gotten new ones along the way.

I try to get things that can last 1-2 sizes. So, things that have a bit of spandex helps TONS. And, I tend to opt for fitness type clothes that can serve double duty for fitness and every day (like yoga pants).
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:05 AM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:171 CW:see ticker GW 120

Height: 5'1

im waiting until these clothes are almost falling off.I work 6 days a week and get by on 4 pairs.so im going to keep it at a minium.Lucky me shirts are baggy so they will fit until goal weight.If you need clothes just buy enough to get your through.clearance is good and ebay can be good too.
skittlesfirehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:18 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 163/162/120

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Morning Everyone,

I am running into a small dilemma with my wardrobe - simply put, I don't have enough clothes for the current size I am but since I am working out and exercising - I would hate to buy clothes today and not fit in them in a month. It seems like a waste of money, however - I currently have one pair of pants and maybe five shirts I am shuffling through.

Thanks!
How about just buying a basic set of pants and jacket? Then you can use your current tops with them? And don't forget the power of scarves, EVERYONE wears them and they can really change the look of an outfit.

I was at Walmart the other day and they have all of the spring stuff out. They have some really pretty knit pieces in basic neutrals - black, navy or beige. The knits wash well, are forgiving and by buying a matching jacket and pants, it allows you to dress it up or make it casual.

That's what I'm doing because I don't want to invest alot in "temporary" clothing. My money is going to be used for the GOOD STUFF!!!
Chubbie Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:19 AM   #8  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

I used thrift shops and eBay on the way down. Clothes on eBay are fairly cheap - possibly reflecting low demand. The best buys were "collections" when one seller posted a bunch of clothes in the same size.

Good luck - there's no easy solution.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/133/140

Height: 5'2"

See if there is a Savers store near you. I have luck finding new clothes with the tags still on at low prices there. And, they have 50% off all clothing on four or five different holidays.
EasySpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #10  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I bought way too much on the way down and spent a mint. Mostly because i was so excited to fit. Now, I'm much more conservative because I have at least 6 sizes left to go (I hope)

Go on Ebay or talk to an old relative and see if you can find a dress clip. I use one for several shirts and dresses that are just too wide. It clips the the sides of the dress together at the back and looks like it's part of the clothes. This way you don't look like you're wearing a tent.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:37 PM   #11  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiojane View Post
Go on Ebay or talk to an old relative and see if you can find a dress clip. I use one for several shirts and dresses that are just too wide. It clips the the sides of the dress together at the back and looks like it's part of the clothes. This way you don't look like you're wearing a tent.
I had to google this, but it is a brilliant idea!
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:44 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 112/101/60

Height: 161

Hi!

Well I had the same problem since in my town you CAN NOT find clothes larger than size 20 I had to travel to find some, so it was really expensive for me.

I usually had two pair of jeans, I can only wear jeans to work and for home, some yoga pants (ugh I know!) but they fitted xD

I buy at second hand stores and wear them until they are worn out and since Ive lost 24lb I wear a belt until I can find something that fits me better.

My husband recomended me to buy pants one size less than mine so I could actually feel how Im losing weight so I did once and those pants are loose now

Money is always a concern for me so second hand stores are my favorite kind of stores!
SkylarLeeDixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:33 PM   #13  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Thank you both for your responses - I've picked through the Thrift shop/salvation army around here (we don't have many!) and all the clothes are pretty thread bare and/or worn out. I will keep picking but I think I am going to have to find some new duds.
Maybe check around and see if there are better thrift stores somewhere nearby? Perhaps in a nearby bigger city or something?

If I go to the city, I can plan an all-day shopping trip because there are so many stores! I've gotten some really fantastic clothes at unbelievable prices. And fortunately the stores around here don't put out the crap clothes (if it's trash, it goes in the trash) so the selections are awesome. I don't even go to "real" stores any more. Even consignment shops seem expensive to me.
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:41 PM   #14  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

There's also the option of "renting" clothes. Basically you pay a monthly subscription fee, pick out some outfits, and they send you the clothes to wear for as long as you want. It's like Netflix for fashion. A friend uses Gwynnie Bee and loves it. I've also heard some bloggers rave about it.
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:04 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 232/197/145

Height: 5'4"

I when yo Thrift stores.
FatAbbi is offline   Reply With Quote