General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-04-2014, 12:13 PM   #1  

Unhappy Sinkhole

This is probably the oddest post I will ever post, but here it goes!

I was out walking this morning, and noticed a new sinkhole down the street from our house. Now that area has always had this other "sinkhole" in the grass area that's up the curb. It looks like someone dug a hole and left it. But about one house over from that, I saw this morning that the road right up against the side walk is broken and caved in, its maybe 5 inches in diameter. I want to call someone and tell them, but its Sunday...I'm worried that this should be address ASAP, but I also don't want to be a nervous Nellie and go reporting an "emergency" today and end up causing a stir for no reason.

Should I just wait until tomorrow?

*I just noticed this, but its possible its been there for a few weeks, I usually run past there and don't take note of such detail. Today was the first time I've walked by in a while. But it is definitely newer.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

Is there a non-emergency number you can call?
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:47 PM   #3  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

Call 911 and they'll route it to where it needs to go, or a hotline for the city (for us it's 411.)

I'm from Montreal, Canada where the bridges are falling and construction trucks are falling into sinkholes You would feel terrible if it affected someone - make the call. Feeling silly may feel better than the alternatives, eh?

Last edited by souvenirdarling; 05-04-2014 at 12:48 PM.
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:23 PM   #4  

Height: 5'9"

I am from Florida and not long ago a sinkhole opened up under a man's house and he went in and never came out. Definitely call someone.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:41 PM   #5  

I wanted to know how long this sink hole has been there before I called. While I only noticed it today, I know its newer. I used google maps since I know they just redid our neighborhood about 5 months ago. The hole is there but looks smaller, and is just a round hole. That's probably why I haven't noticed it until now, it had more of those broken edges and seemed a little bigger, but again I'm trying to compare it to google map. I looked for info and the place to report such incidents in my town opens tomorrow at 8am. I could call the PD but around here, that kind of move would earn us a flag with the local PD.

About 2 years ago our 5 y/o went outside at like 4am and set off our house alarm, so he ran in and hid. It didn't wake up DH and I, and the emergency call from the alarm company didn't either because our phones were on silent. When we woke up at like 6am, we saw the missed calls from the alarm company and wondered why the police knocking didn't wake us, its a beeping from down stairs (not that loud actually) and we were upstairs sleeping, its more about it triggering an alert for the police....we ended up finding out that although the alarm company dispatched the PD with the info that the home owners were not responding, the PD drove by, SAW THE FRONT DOOR NOT OPEN and never eve got out to check! This was confirmed by the police dept. They said everything look fine from their patrol car....All someone has to do is break in from a window not in view from the street, and just make sure they keep the front door closed and the PD wont even get out to knock about a home alarm going off...

If I call them on a Sunday for a sink hole, I promise, they wont even come out to look.

Last edited by GlamourGirl827; 05-04-2014 at 01:43 PM.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:45 PM   #6  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

I wouldn't call the police. It's a public works issue I would think. They may have someone on call for emergencies on the weekends. But is this a real emergency???? I don't know. I think I'd wait.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:06 PM   #7  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

In Michigan it is okay to call 911 to report one.
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote