Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 03:32 PM   #1  

Default Help! Call me dumb but....

Ok, just trying to start the Atkin's thingy today. However, I just really don't get it! Call me dumb but...

is the idea that you can have 20 g of carbs a day. This includes the 2-3 cups of salad greens and 1 cup of other veggies and then i can eat what ever i want as long as it's on the acceptable foods list?

And, is there a way to calculate net carbs or do I always have to go to the guide thingy.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Lorelle
Old 01-19-2004, 04:04 PM   #2  
Head Princess

Hi Lorelle -

I'm not sure if I understand your question, but I'll give it a shot.

For the first 2 weeks of induction, it's important to stick to the rules of induction - including what veggies and how much are allowed. I think of it as "detox" time.

It's always a good thing to journal what you eat and drink along with the carb count and whatever other nutritional info you want to track. www.fitday.com is an excellent tool for this.

Since this is a lifestyle change, you're going to have to spend time learning what works for you and re-training yourself on your eating habits. Measure everything, write it down, add it up, walk the aisles in the grocery store and read labels so you will know the carb content of something even if you're out and can't read the packaging on your friend's meal or at the restaurant.

Eventually, it will become more intuitive, but at the beginning, make sure you are diligent! We can't change our habits if we're not aware of them. Journaling your food also helps you to avoid "carb creep."

Did I answer your question?
Old 01-19-2004, 04:24 PM   #3  

Thanks for the response!

I was just wondering, essentially if I can eat outside the meat and veggies required ( I realize it must be on the allowed foods list)?
Old 01-19-2004, 07:55 PM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Welcome Lorelle, Fitday is a wonderful tool to help you keep track of your carbs/fiber/calories, etc.... Its a life saver.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:18 AM   #5  
Baby Steps

Lorelle--when I started Atkins I had the same question. I'm still not sure how someone gets up to 20 grams a day w/just eating off the recommended list. lol This is a great site to get answers to any/all your questions. The ladies here are also great for support for the days you really don't think you can do it and need someone to coach/talk ya through why you CAN
Old 01-20-2004, 03:12 PM   #6  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Hi Lorelle and Welcome!!!
I guess the acceptable foods list is a bit confusing. 20 gr carbs is the limit for induction. The book does tell you that you can eat anything on that "acceptable food" list as long as you eat until you are full. The truth is that all those things do have small amounts of carbs. Its the vegetables that tally up. 2 Cups loose lettuce/salad and 1 C of another vegetable. Usually meats right off the bone....(beef, chicken, pork, fish) have zero carbs. Most cheese has zero carbs and eggs have 1 each (I think). Some of your prepared luncheon meats have carbs.....hot dogs.....bacon....sausages due to the nitrates and trace amounts of sugar. The allowed dairy has small amounts of carbs (whip cream and cream for coffee). I can't stress enough about reading labels. Sugar is disguissed as so many other names and its a real eye opener once you see them. I personally don't tallly up my carbs but thats just me. I've tailored the Atkins to suit me and I hate to do that. Other people prefer to list and tally portions and carb grams. You have to do what is right for you. Good luck!!!
Closed Thread