Old 05-01-2014, 06:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Default May Chat

Welcome to the Diabetes May chat....
Old 05-01-2014, 06:46 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I finished the Michele May book and here is my opinion. It has a lot of good information. The thing I liked about it is that it told you how to avoid overeating. Don't eat mindlessly. Eat when you are hungry, stop when satisfied. One hint was after you fill your plate with the amount of food you think you need, eat half of it and then stop for a couple minutes and decide how you feel. Do you still need to eat the rest of it? One of my bad habits is that I put my dinner on a smaller plate so it looks like a bigger portion. But then I use that for an excuse to go back for seconds because I only ate a small portion. I know I do this, but it's hard to stop myself. Yesterday, I cooked extra chicken so I could have a piece leftover for today, but I ended up finishing it before the night was over.

The thing I didn't like about the book is it makes me think that I CAN eat carbs. It tells you to make 1/4 of your plate carbs and eat 45gm of carb at each meal. No matter how many times they tell me it's ok to do this, I know my BS will spike if I do it, but part of me wants to believe them. It would be fine if I wanted to continue to take the glimiperide, but I don't!

Yesterday after dinner I made some oatmeal cookies for DH. I thought about the story of the woman who wanted the 2 cookies, and I ate 2 of them. I normally don't like sweets, but they were really good. When I checked my BS it was 136, so I decided to do a 15 min walk on the treadmill to try to counteract the cookies. It worked, and at bedtime I was at 119. I wasn't hungry, but DH made an egg sandwich and asked me if I wanted some. I ate 1/4 of it, which amounted to 1/2 slice of regular white toast. This morning I was at 176. I just can't eat that bread. I know it. Why do I read something and then think I can eat it? I don't care what Michele May says. Even the Lord's Prayer says "give us this day, our daily bread." Sorry, I can't do it. Carol, get it through your thick head once and for all!

Rant over......

Rennie, my husband has absolutely not a hint of eating disorder, and he thinks the whole idea is rubbish. He gets very upset when he sees women eating in the car. He said "She's going to go home and tell her husband she's starving because she didn't eat anything all day." He's probably right in many cases but I try to explain to him that she could be someone with a very busy schedule that just didn't have time to fit a decent meal in. I didn't eat in the car because I used to drive a manual transmission for years, and you need both hands to do that. On top of that, I smoked. There's only so many things you can do at one time. But when I worked at this one job, there was a McDonald's on the way, and I stopped every morning for a breakfast sandwich to take to work. Sometimes, when they had BOGO or 2fer I would get 2 sandwiches. After I left that job I no longer passed a McDonald's going to work, but I didn't lose weight!! I guess I was making up those calories and fat somewhere.

Our thread was very busy yesterday. It was so good to see everyone here and chattering away!
Old 05-01-2014, 08:06 AM   #3  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

I can't believe it's May already!
Old 05-01-2014, 09:30 AM   #4  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Thanks Carol Sue for starting the new thread On the bread, it's just white bread. I can't handle it either so I just don't eat it other than the occasional biscuit and I can't handle those either. What is in bleached flour?????
I also drove a manual transmission for many years , I also smoked while driving (burned the plastic on the front of my radio up ) but I did many things while driving. I just learned how to do what I wanted. I lived in VA and worked in DC so I was on the road a long time everyday. Often times when you eat just to be eating you forget what you have eaten. or that you even ate depending on how long it has been. I still eat in the car but it's usually an Atkins bar on my way some where so that I don't eat what I have no business before I get there.

Shannon yep May has smiled upon us.

Well I did my A1c test this morning I will mail it this afternoon. According to the chart my A1c should be at least 6. something which is way better than the 10.5 I had before. Todays fbs was down 2mg to 134 not great but not bad. I wonder if it's the strips (you all had me thinking this morning). Also my weigh in .... Ladies 159.8. I have never seen the 150's except in 92-93 when I was pregnant with my first.

Feeling good
Old 05-01-2014, 11:12 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Rennie CONGRATULATIONS girl for being in the 150s and having brought your fbs down so. You are doing so great. I am so proud of you girl. Now to just get my tail back on track and to stay there. It is strange how our bodies work isn't it. I can handle the eggs, but not the Atkins bars... just the opposite from you. That's why 1 way of eating doesn't not fit all. Oh yes, I wish I had known that I could have sent the bars to you, but I already promised to take them to my daughter when I go to see her. Sorry

Shannon Your's and Rennie's stories of the messy kids cooking in the kitchen brought back fond memories of when we used to have family gatherings at DH#2's grandmothers. That woman was a really good cook and I learned loads of great info from her because she had gone through the depression. DH used to say I could get more meals than anyone he ever saw out one chicken, but I had learned how from her. But any way that woman would cook and us granddaughter-in-laws would clean up the kitchen. We used to laugh joke about how that "woman must have dirtied every pan she owned" and our reward was to enjoy eating and then cleaning up.. You are good at making memories with your daughter. She will really enjoy the Y camp and cooking and you will enjoy the "me time".

Carol Sue We sound so much a like. I saw you write about the Sara Lee bread and though... "If I'm going to count calories I could switch to that. My daddy eats that". I did fine yesterday. You know what I really have learned I need to just count carbs and do Atkins.

Yesterday I did pretty good, "to start with". I had the tacoless taco and was so proud of myself because I ate half and put the other half in fridge for after church. Got to church and Tony and the preacher were talking about how they try to stay away from sweets and how hard it was. I piped up and said "I don't crave the sweets" which is true, "my problem is I love chips... any kind of chips -- potato chips, corn chips nachos". I swear before I left someone had made and brought some different flavored chocolate balls candy etc. Now I never eat on Wednesday night because I don't want to get in the habit + that lady always make some kind of sweets for those who want it can eat it. Everyone was talking about how good they were. What did I do? This woman who never wants or craves something sweet went over there and I ate one. Now granted it was "just" one, but I left wondering "what was I thinking?" I had just in one candy ball abolished a day's good job of low carbing.

I had to go by the store and I decided to get beef jerky and some kind of turkey things. I actually am glad I did that though because I even stood in the check out and told DH that I was going to buy a whole bunch of them for our trip for snacks or meal replacement.

Well, here is what I learned last night. If I had been far enough along on low carbing, 1 candy ball would not have hurt me so that isn't a biggy except for timing. (Carol Sue an occasional slice of bread or whatever won't be a big deal when we get our fbs under control. We just know that we can't do it on a regular basis. But for now we need to focus more on what we are trying to accomplish.)

The big lesson is I WILL NOT be taking beef jerky or anything like that on my trip. I will be figuring out something else out between now and then. With the sugar of the candy ball & it really wasn't real big and the surgar that was obviously in both the jerky and turkey thing, it almost made me gag. If nothing else, I will rely on the Atkins shakes if I have too and by then I should be able to add nuts for snacks as well. Atkins book talks about a sugar-free jerky but I haven't seen it.

So saying all that, I've come to the conclusion that I must do low carb. My fbs was 150 this morning up from yesterdays 144. I have a A1c in a month and 4 days. I have just enough time to get back OP Atkins Induction. Since I need to do Atkins Induction for longer than 2 weeks and I know DH is going to derail me with eating out some, I will have to us Carbohydrate Addicts Diet for my back up on those days which means when I have to eat somewhere that does not make Atkins feasible I will have what CAD calls a Reward Meal. That way I know I will still be on plan. In fact when we go on our trip, CAD may be the way for me to go so that I will not ruin all my hard work with weight loss and lowering my fbs. Twelve years ago I lost 78 lbs doing CAD, so I know it is a safe back up for me. May end up doing that anyway eventually. But the weight loss on that is slow and Atkins is quicker and will get me the healthier #s faster and also keep me from having to take anything other than Metformin for bs.

Sorry this is so long. Guess I just need to put it out there so I can see it and hopefully make it real to me. Today is Day #1 back on AI. DH said something about going to the fish place today, but never pinned down on it before I went to bed. We need batteries for the 3D glasses so we can watch some movies and the ones he got were the wrong ones. I'm going to look on the Taco Bell website and see what they have that I can eat because they are in with Long John Silvers otherwise, I will be doing a CAD day today instead of Atkins.

Have a good day Chickies.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:36 PM   #6  
~Rennie

Thanks Trish and family comes first anyway. I hope she likes the bars, my kids like them I am just like you with the chips (I must stay away from them) one turns into a serving, serving into a half bag ... bag gone LOL I kick myself too when I eat perfectly all day and in the evening I eat something I clearly know I had no business eating (like you said timing is key). My son made fried chicken for dinner last night. I was a good girl, I ate my chicken before church so when I got home I just had water while they ate Check the sodium in your jerky also, I don't eat it but most packaged meats have a ton of sodium. On your post being long (which it wasn't it is fine) ... see what happens when you stay away other than being missed
Old 05-01-2014, 07:55 PM   #7  
~Shannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattygirl63 View Post
Shannon Your's and Rennie's stories of the messy kids cooking in the kitchen brought back fond memories of when we used to have family gatherings at DH#2's grandmothers. That woman was a really good cook and I learned loads of great info from her because she had gone through the depression. DH used to say I could get more meals than anyone he ever saw out one chicken, but I had learned how from her. But any way that woman would cook and us granddaughter-in-laws would clean up the kitchen. We used to laugh joke about how that "woman must have dirtied every pan she owned" and our reward was to enjoy eating and then cleaning up.. You are good at making memories with your daughter. She will really enjoy the Y camp and cooking and you will enjoy the "me time".
I like making memories in the kitchen but my Type A personality always ends up irritated, lol! The hubby has a training class for 2 weeks straight in June out of state. Thank God the cooking camp falls on the second week he will be gone. I will be fried after the first week. I love love love my daughter but she is super clingy and doesn't ever want to play alone so it is exhausting spending an entire day with her, esp at 40 and overweight. Even when he's done with work the hubby barely spends any time with her so it's all me, all the time. Preschool two mornings a week this year has been such a lifesaver for me. It ends in 3 weeks for summer and I am scared, lol.

Quote:
Sorry this is so long. Guess I just need to put it out there so I can see it and hopefully make it real to me. Today is Day #1 back on AI. DH said something about going to the fish place today, but never pinned down on it before I went to bed. We need batteries for the 3D glasses so we can watch some movies and the ones he got were the wrong ones. I'm going to look on the Taco Bell website and see what they have that I can eat because they are in with Long John Silvers otherwise, I will be doing a CAD day today instead of Atkins.

Have a good day Chickies.
Good luck with AI! We really love hearing from you Trish! Please post more

Last edited by Shannonsnail; 05-01-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:02 PM   #8  
~Shannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2b150 View Post
Thanks Trish and family comes first anyway. I hope she likes the bars, my kids like them I am just like you with the chips (I must stay away from them) one turns into a serving, serving into a half bag ... bag gone LOL I kick myself too when I eat perfectly all day and in the evening I eat something I clearly know I had no business eating (like you said timing is key). My son made fried chicken for dinner last night. I was a good girl, I ate my chicken before church so when I got home I just had water while they ate Check the sodium in your jerky also, I don't eat it but most packaged meats have a ton of sodium. On your post being long (which it wasn't it is fine) ... see what happens when you stay away other than being missed
Before I started this new way of eating it was very common for me to eat an entire bag of chips, crackers, etc. in the evening. My daughter would often ask for something at lunch the next day only to be told they were gone since the previous lunch. It was awful and embarrassing. It's hard to believe I haven't eaten more than couple tortilla chips in the past month. No cheese crackers (like cheez-its), no potato chips, no vanilla cream wafers, no ritz crackers.....amazing. The stuff is still in my house. I buy it at the store for my hubby. But I don't eat it. So amazing. Don't get me wrong, I do sometimes want it and sometimes think how easy it would be to grab it on the way out the door or at night when I'm feeling bored. I just know now that it's not worth it. Losing this much weight by cutting out those things has made it crystal clear what they do to me and I am no longer interested in "being friends" with such ill-intentioned items.

Last edited by Shannonsnail; 05-01-2014 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:19 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 377/350/180

Height: 6'0"

Carol Sue - Does Whole Grain bread make you spike like that? I was fantasicing someone last night about olive garden breadsticks that I probably should never touch with a ten foot pole...

Renni - Congrats on the weight loss!

patty hope the carbohyrdates addicts diet is your ticket :-D

Kinda tired, got home late from working out and waiting for chicken to bake in the oven so I can make supper. I don't even know if my workout counted, I couldn't push myself to get my heart rate about 135.. i feel as if I'm kinda pathetic for that. Ah well...:-|
Old 05-01-2014, 08:26 PM   #10  
~Shannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
Yesterday, I cooked extra chicken so I could have a piece leftover for today, but I ended up finishing it before the night was over.
I used to hate the leftovers from dinner. I put them in little containers and on trash day retrieved them and threw the contents out. Hubby won't eat leftovers and I didn't either. Now I get excited when there are leftovers from dinner...that's lunch tomorrow or the next day!! I used to read about people who ate leftovers for lunch and thought 'yuck'. LOL! When we don't have leftovers at dinner now I always feel a little sad.

Quote:
The thing I didn't like about the book is it makes me think that I CAN eat carbs. It tells you to make 1/4 of your plate carbs and eat 45gm of carb at each meal. No matter how many times they tell me it's ok to do this, I know my BS will spike if I do it, but part of me wants to believe them. It would be fine if I wanted to continue to take the glimiperide, but I don't!
Until now I've never really bought into low carb. I even worked for 8 years at a company specializing in cardiovascular and diabetes research where my boss was the scientist who founded the company. I watched him eat low carb every day and talk about what the studies were showing regarding low carb and I still didn't really buy it enough to try it. When I met my hubby he was low carbing. He lost 75 lbs while we were friends. We got married and I told him his way of eating was not healthy. He stopped and has since gained 120 lbs. To say I was a well informed skeptic is putting it mildly, lol. But now I see what the carbs were doing to me. That being said plenty of folks can follow calorie in calorie out ideals and even low fat high carb and lose weight. But my guess is genetically they handle carbs really well and have no insulin resistance. That is not me.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:36 PM   #11  
~Shannon

Oh what a day! I volunteered in the office at preschool today but got done early so I had some time to run a few errands and treat myself to lunch out alone. I went to Panera and got their Cobb Salad with Avocado. A few hours after that I felt a little off so I checked my BS but it was 104 so no idea. This afternoon we headed to Aldi to restock groceries. I am tired and probably going to bed early but I must shower first! I did weigh today and the scale is going down - yay! I think the pause is over for this week, thankfully! I think I'd like to reach my next mini goal of a 10% loss over the next couple weeks. It is now May and I have so many big days. Our 7th anniversary is next Tues and I made reservations at a fancy steakhouse we go to most years on our anniv. I will eat whatever I want that night! They have really good sweet potatoes, not sure I can turn that down. Next Thursday is Muffins for Mom day at preschool and I know my daughter will not really understand if I don't eat a muffin with her. Then there is Mother's Day and my 41st bday and then at the end of the month there is vacation. It's going to be a tough month for weight loss.

Last edited by Shannonsnail; 05-01-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:11 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 291/240.6/147

Height: 5'7"

Hi! I'm new here and newly diagnosed. I hope I can join you all.

Right now I'm just a little disappointed in myself for walking into this. It's not like I thought I could be 41, way over weight, and sedentary and there would be no consequences ;-)
Old 05-01-2014, 09:36 PM   #13  
~Shannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSecondHalf View Post
Hi! I'm new here and newly diagnosed. I hope I can join you all.

Right now I'm just a little disappointed in myself for walking into this. It's not like I thought I could be 41, way over weight, and sedentary and there would be no consequences ;-)
Welcome! So glad you are joining us! I was aware I was prediabetic for 7 years before I took any personal ownership of it.....don't be so hard on yourself!
Old 05-01-2014, 09:45 PM   #14  
~Rennie

Shannon I know what you mean on clingy. Two of ours are like that, one is easing up he's 15 but he still comes to check to see if I'm still in the house or something, idk and the other of course is my baby. She will go to sleep on the couch because she wants to near me. I tell her, Mommy will be here when you wake up, I promise (since I wake her up she knows that) . When my now 15 year old was little I called him my hip baby I did everything with him on my hip because if I put him down or left him he would scream. It would drive me nuts. The youngest is all my doing. Having her at 38 it is what it is On the snacks. I don't care for cheese crackers so they can be here forever (they have always made my mouth dry) now if Nabisco still made tidbits in the red box oh my, I would binge for sure. Crackers I had turned to the premium unsalted rounds and when I first started eating them I would eat the serving and be done. Then one day I ate a half of a box. I thought you have got to be kidding me. I stopped buying Ritz because of that now I can't eat those Sour cream and onion chips Utz brand are my poison. I will eat those things until I am sick. So of course I don't buy them anymore. Shannon that's a wonderful all around NSV to be able to say NO to those ill-intentioned items. You have certainly got one up on me there my friend. Consider all of those dates as cheat days and since you like those things I would actually take the time to log the food and record what it does and how your body reacts, something to do at the end of the day Just a thought

Thanks silentartic , Olive Garden anything gives me a spike. Did you know there house salad is like 300+ calories? I eat it anyway and call it my cheat day On the subject of your heart rate - tired is tired, your body spoke and you listened. You'll have a better workout tomorrow, get some rest

TheSecondHalf to the thread. Don't be disappointed. I knew that I was borderline and did nothing to prevent it so here I am. Lots of information here from great people
Old 05-01-2014, 10:45 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

olive Garden Salad

Not only 350 calories... BUT ALSO 25 g of fat and... 22 carbs and....1930 grams of sodium!!!!!!

Last edited by JLUS; 05-01-2014 at 10:46 PM.
Closed Thread