Old 04-29-2014, 08:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/194/150

Height: 5'5

Default What's up with HOT YOGA?

I am a little bit confused because my coach advised me not to do hot yoga ( moksha) . I bought a membership in an attempt to do more exercise and now that I was starting to enjoy it, she tells me it could somehow( because you sweat a lot ....) stop my weight loss.
Has anyone here had the experience of doing yoga and IP at the same time and not losing weight? I really wanna do it!WHYYYY? now that for once I was starting being consistent about exercise

Last edited by Deepblue; 04-29-2014 at 08:34 PM.
Deepblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 282/166/170

Height: 5.6

I have exercised, sweated all thru my IP journey and it may have slowed lbs but the inches have been good and so is muscle tone. For the most part I have lost over 3 a week, just slowing down now. I think that building exercise into your routine will ultimately help you reach your goal and maintain.
Jenny38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 196.3/185.2/160

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny38 View Post
I have exercised, sweated all thru my IP journey and it may have slowed lbs but the inches have been good and so is muscle tone. For the most part I have lost over 3 a week, just slowing down now. I think that building exercise into your routine will ultimately help you reach your goal and maintain.
I was feeling guilty about doing a walk/run/bike interval tonight...I know I'm not supposed to work out too hard, but it felt sooooo good! Glad I'm not alone in this. Thanks!
JSorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:19 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepblue View Post
I am a little bit confused because my coach advised me not to do hot yoga ( moksha) . I bought a membership in an attempt to do more exercise and now that I was starting to enjoy it, she tells me it could somehow( because you sweat a lot ....) stop my weight loss.
Has anyone here had the experience of doing yoga and IP at the same time and not losing weight? I really wanna do it!WHYYYY? now that for once I was starting being consistent about exercise
It could slow the scale but not your fat loss. Have you seen pictures of 5 lbs of fat and 5 lbs of muscle? The muscle takes up a LOT less space.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 259.2/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

I did hot yoga for during the beginning of my journey and I did just fine!!
ems70508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:13 AM   #6  

Quote:
I think so too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSorrell View Post
I was feeling guilty about doing a walk/run/bike interval tonight...I know I'm not supposed to work out too hard, but it felt sooooo good! Glad I'm not alone in this. Thanks!
Yes! It's like you are in the mood. I feel so good I feel like exercising!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
It could slow the scale but not your fat loss. Have you seen pictures of 5 lbs of fat and 5 lbs of muscle? The muscle takes up a LOT less space.
I had to google it , for sure the people I see in the yoga studio look very lean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ems70508 View Post
I did hot yoga for during the beginning of my journey and I did just fine!!
That gives me peace of mind, thank you!
Old 04-30-2014, 06:26 AM   #7  
Renee~ Started IP Aug. 25

S/C/G: 186/136.4/125

Height: 5'4"

I do not know much about hot yoga, or any yoga for that matter, but my only thought is you may want to add a little extra salt on the days you go to the studio due to the increased sweating???
ReenHag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:30 AM   #8  
Started IP: 4/4/2014

S/C/G: 154/See Ticker/125

Height: 5'0''

And I'd add lots of extra water.
Chrztina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:20 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Muscle tone is real important esp if you are trying to lose the kind of weight that is going to leave behind loose skin. My IP site advocated exercise after the second month if it was clear you were not having any health issues with the protocol that might indicate your body was not adapted to the program. As an older woman..I lost just under 3 lbs a week for the first 4+ months. It dropped later in my journey to 2.5...then to about 1-2 lbs a week. I never had a stall..and always lost something except for 1 week when nearly at goal. However, the inches were steady at coming off. My sizes dropped quickly after the 3rd month...and I had to buy new clothes (resale in some cases) fairly often during my journey from Jan 10- August 19th of 2013. I began light/moderate exercise 1st week of April...which was about 10-11 weeks in.

My "excess" skin has continued to tone and shrink...and I'm going to be OK with sleeveless this summer...(LOL...if it gets warm enough....ever again)...Do love my spanx...but at nearly 66 now..who doesn't love them?

For me exercise was absolutely one of the best lifestyle changes I made for myself. That was a tough sell for me...and I still don't love it...but wouldn't dream of stopping and no way second guessing myself. It was a very good thing to help the muscle and strengthening as well as balance and flexibility. This is about overall health for me...not just the scale. And I am sure my size is considerably smaller than if I had not exercised most of the way through. Now have continued and actually increased duration, intensity and frequency of exercise. Not sure that increase is something that would have been easy to do if I was still trying to make exercise part of the lifestyle changes. By the time I hit goal...I was in the groove.

There are enough landmines for the rest of my personal weight control life...exercise won't be one of them now!

Last edited by 65X65; 04-30-2014 at 11:22 AM.
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:57 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 221/192.4/160

Height: 5 '8

I love hot yoga too! I tried doing a couple of classes during the second week of IP and noticed that I was excessively salty while sweating and had a long recovery period (3-5 days after a class) for my muscles.

I will note that I did not lose anything that week, but my body is extremely stubborn and it could have been a coincidence.

I have been doing unheated yoga and have been doing well, but am planning to do at least one hot class a month.

I would see how you feel after a hot class and yes, keep up the salt, water and extra protein that day.
CO_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:58 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 187.7/158.2/150

Height: 5'6''

I spoke to my coach about hot yoga and she said that she had a number of clients doing it. She encouraged extra water and said to take an extra packet if I feel that I need it. I just signed up today at a local studio for a month and am planning to start this week. I did hot yoga before and really liked it.
kontesanera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:52 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenHag View Post
I do not know much about hot yoga, or any yoga for that matter, but my only thought is you may want to add a little extra salt on the days you go to the studio due to the increased sweating???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrztina View Post
And I'd add lots of extra water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_6 View Post
I love hot yoga too! I tried doing a couple of classes during the second week of IP and noticed that I was excessively salty while sweating and had a long recovery period (3-5 days after a class) for my muscles.

I will note that I did not lose anything that week, but my body is extremely stubborn and it could have been a coincidence.

I have been doing unheated yoga and have been doing well, but am planning to do at least one hot class a month.

I would see how you feel after a hot class and yes, keep up the salt, water and extra protein that day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kontesanera View Post
I spoke to my coach about hot yoga and she said that she had a number of clients doing it. She encouraged extra water and said to take an extra packet if I feel that I need it. I just signed up today at a local studio for a month and am planning to start this week. I did hot yoga before and really liked it.
I am taking all your advice, more water, more salt, and let us see what happens...Thank you all for the replies!