Old 04-26-2014, 11:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 140/138/115 (Reboot-Nov. 2015)

Height: 5'-3 1/2"

Red face Anyone out there trying to lose only 20 to 30 pounds

I had only 20 pounds to lose and decided to do the ideal protein diet because it appealed to me because I have always felt protein was important for weight loss and have done other diets that focused on protein and I had great results. The problem was that when I felt good at the weight I got to, I got too comfortable and allowed it to slowly creep back up, saying to myself....oh, it is only 2 pounds and then.....oh only another pound, I will cut back starting next Monday.

This time I want to follow it to the end and make a point of trying to keep all the weight off for good. Now that I am on my journey yet again and actually lost quite a bit initially, I am now struggling to lose the last bit and it has been slow and I am a bit frustrated since this is an expensive diet.

Let me know how you are doing and how you cope with the frustration when you don't see results even though you are really following the diet.
Blondi13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:20 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 153/139/120

Height: 5.0

Hi Blondi

I am in the process of loosing about 20 lbs. I have hit a bit of a plateau and need to reset. But for the most part I am on my way. I can relate to what you are saying very much. I lost 22 lbs the first time I did IP and then I let it all come back and then some. I have promised myself that this is the last time I will do this diet.
kdspirited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:49 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 153/134/130

Height: 5'6"

Hi Blondi13 and kdspirited! This is my first time on IP and I too was attracted to it because I needed to kick some bad habits and I liked that the diet was planned out for me- I failed at WW because it was too easy to make bad choices. The cost of it also keeps me on track... if I'm going to use our family's resources to do this diet, then I'm not going to waste it by cheating. However, when the slow weeks happen with little to no change, I do think about how expensive it is and whether this is the best use of our money, but then a change happens and I carry on. I am also noticing that small changes in weight are meaning big changes in how clothing is fitting and that too is motivating.
Proudmama2maet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:39 PM   #4  

Default Yes always a challenge

I have business trip in a couple of weeks and am really worried. There will be wine, lots of food at restaurants etc and hate to let people know I am on a diet. I will order my salads and ask for oil and vinegar on the side. I am sure I will be getting weird looks but need to focus on getting through it. I don't want to have to start over again.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:41 PM   #5  

Kids pirated, how are you trying to reset? I am at that point right now. Hopping to lose this week and doing what I can including working out almost every day despite what my couch said. She said not to do too much incSe it goes for the muscle. I will see next week.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:44 PM   #6  

Proudmama2maet, spell correct is a pain sometimes so hopefully I get your name correct. Yes, I worry about the cost but keep trying to tell myself, it is a lull and it will get better and like you, since I am paying quite a bit, I won't let myself cheat. It is too expensive that way and the longer I need to be on it, the more it will be. Focus on the goal at hand.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 153/139/120

Height: 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondi13 View Post
Kids pirated, how are you trying to reset? I am at that point right now. Hopping to lose this week and doing what I can including working out almost every day despite what my couch said. She said not to do too much incSe it goes for the muscle. I will see next week.
Blondi

First and foremost stick with it. I know it sounds counter intuitive to not workout. But trust your coach. I think you should not workout for a little bit. It will help your body that is building muscle a break and it also releases water it uses to build it. If you must exercise do something light yoga, Pilates etc. Also try and up your protein take an extra packet when you workout. Your body needs that. Drink more water and make sure you are not constipated.

I also relate to your business travel story. I travel a lot for work and I make up a story like I cant have wine because I am taking antibiotics or I have to go back and do some more work. Or I am watching what I eat have a wedding in the family etc. I have used them all.
kdspirited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:30 PM   #8  

Hi kdspirited (spell check changed your name last time on me). I used to run before starting IP and have not run much because my coach said not to overdo it. I have been walking about and hour a day with few slow runs for 5 minutes. I will see on Friday how me weight is and if my muscle was affected. I hope I go down this week. The last few weeks I have barely lost anything and am trying to change it up a bit as well. I will do the extra proteins as well because that does make sense. I will let you know how it goes. I had a meeting on my normal weigh in day so had to delay it a Few days. I will hope for good results. My boyfriend says he certainly can see I am losing weight.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:23 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondi13 View Post
Hi kdspirited (spell check changed your name last time on me). I used to run before starting IP and have not run much because my coach said not to overdo it. I have been walking about and hour a day with few slow runs for 5 minutes. I will see on Friday how me weight is and if my muscle was affected. I hope I go down this week. The last few weeks I have barely lost anything and am trying to change it up a bit as well. I will do the extra proteins as well because that does make sense. I will let you know how it goes. I had a meeting on my normal weigh in day so had to delay it a Few days. I will hope for good results. My boyfriend says he certainly can see I am losing weight.
Blondi13: Much as you like to work out - do not make yourself sweat and breath heavy! That means you are working too hard and your body will not pull the fat out of storage and you will not lose weight. Remember, this (Phase 1) is not a forever part of the health contract you made with yourself. When you have lost the weight you want and phase over to maintenance, THEN you can workout like a maniac & build muscle. Right now your body can only work on one thing at a time, and you want that to be losing stored fat, yes? We have all been there and done that. Don't think along the same lines as a conventional calorie counting diet - it is not just a matter of calories in vs. calories out. Also, the closer you get to goal, the harder it will be to lose those last few pounds.

I had a stall for 3 weeks and wasn't feeling the best and only had about 10-12 lbs to goal. My coach & I decided that what my body was telling me was that I needed more food so I went on the Phase 1 & 2 Alternative Program (which adds 1 starch, 1 low fat dairy and 1 fruit per day) - it is the plan that diabetics (type II) can use. I began losing weight again and felt a lot better.
I continued to lose even on Phase 3 (when we usually top up our glycogen and gain 3ish pounds - NOT FAT). I have been on maintenance for almost 2 months now and not having any issues keeping within 2 lbs of my goal - sometimes above by a lb sometimes below by a lb.

Hang on and look at all your NonScaleVictories. Sometimes weight is just a number on a scale; it's not our health or measurements or blood sugars or lipids or energy, etc.
Chin up, it gets better!
Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:04 AM   #10  
IP Start 4/16/14

S/C/G: 170/163/135

Height: 5'8"

This is my first time on any diet and I'm trying to lose about 30 lbs. I started on 4/16 and lost about 7 lbs in the first week, but have lost less than a pound altogether since. I'm not concerned but I do find it curious, especially this early.

For me, this diet is about developing some reasonable habits. I've been a carb fiend all my life and I had no idea how bad that approach to food was until I started researching IP for a curriculum project. Also, I used to drink maybe 30 oz liquid a day--none of it water, and I'm now becoming used to drinking a lot more.

I do feel good and for the first time in my almost 45 years, I'm preparing real food for myself every day. I know I'm eating less than 850 calories a day (about 60% protein, 20% fat, and 20% carbs) and the Ketostix confirm I'm in ketosis every day, so I know I will begin losing again eventually. I have not cheated but I have substituted some alternative products for IP ones a few days (Quest bars, Pure Protein shakes, and Syntrax Matrix shake mix) because I want to be prepared for the transition off IP food when my trial period ends in a few weeks. Does using alternate stuff count as cheating?

Anyway, I am forming a new relationship with food and no matter how long it takes me to get rid of 30 lbs, I think the long-term effects will be beneficial. Plus, everyone in my house is suddenly into the kinds of stuff I'm eating--salads, boiled eggs, grilled chicken, etc. so it's having a good effect on us all.
alienoreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:45 PM   #11  

Hi.. I started on Apr 2 and trying to lose 20 lbs. I lost 8 lbs so far and on track to lose more.
My weigh in is this Thursday hoping for some good results
hope2781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:45 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I'm re-starting after a period of being off the IP diet since February. I stopped due to having some health issues (not related to the diet), and had not yet reached my goal. I re-started the diet today, and plan to stay on it until I lose 20-25 pounds. I need to go back to getting weighed-in, but I really don't want to buy food again, as it was so expensive. I may do it, though, because I really appreciated the encouragement and accountability from my coach.
zephyr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:00 PM   #13  
Evemomma

S/C/G: 170/132.5/130

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone!

I started IP on April 16th...I started with 35 lbs to lose. I have Hashimotos and expect that it may be slower for me than the typical IP dieter. I was pleased to lose 5 lbs for my first weigh in. I know I have lost since than, but my scale at home is not terribly accurate.

I had a REALLY busy weekend as we had a big birthday party for my 4 year old daughter and also had out of town guests staying. I realized I forgot a protein pack twice this weekend because I was super busy and didn't really feel hungry. I hope that doesn't affect my weight loss. It wasn't until the next morning that I realized I was short.

I also think it will soon be my TOM, so I'm noticing more water retention. Oh well. Even so, I put on a pair of jeans today that I haven't been able to wear in 5 months!

I have a friend doing IP and she says she feels very hungry and sluggish (she's only 15 lbs from her goal weight). Is that common to feel that way the closer to goal weight? I have been so pleased that I have felt SUPER energetic and not hungry at all on this plan. I would hate for that to start.
evemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:05 PM   #14  

Hi Liana,
Thanks for the feedback. Yes I am so used to always working out and I know working out generally does not have much impact on my weight loss. My diet is key. 6 years ago I did a half ironman race where I exercised 2 hours a day with up to a 6 hour training session one day on the weekend and I actually gained weight. Some was certainly muscle but I didn't look fit like I would have thought. At least I finished the race and then went on a diet to lose fat. I have been going to the gym and mainly walking at a comfortable pace. A few times I would trow in a few 5 minute runs without breaking a sweat but I was doing it to see what would happen this week since I have not been losing much weight since the first week. My weigh in is late this week so have a Few more days and will hope for the best. Yes I will keep the exercise light as my coach suggested but it nice hearing it from other people going through this diet as well. Alienoreo, I get what you are saying about not losing much after the first week. Me too. I am hoping for better results on Friday. I think I am down for what my scale says now.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:09 PM   #15  

Oh another thing that might be affecting my weight loss could be that I am on antibiotics for a root canal I have to deal with on Wednesday which I am not happy about. On my last diet I wasn't losing when I was on antibiotics as well.