Old 04-25-2014, 07:34 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #78

Good morning gals. Had a thunderboomer and rain last evening, but it is all quiet and peaceful so far this morning. Seems to have dried out to so it didn't last long.

Jack had no problem yesterday morning. Said we had a leak and they fixed it no charge and he was home within the hour. I then went and got my nails done and the man who owns the place did them and hit my cuticles with the file and so they are all red and itching since yesterday. I put cuticle salve on them but it didn't help so took my extra strength foot cream and rubbed into them and they stopped for awhile, but they are itching again.

I have part of the hat done for my stylist and love the colors and the pattern but the yarn has a lot of wool and hasn't helped with the itching either. I want to get it done and make her a pair of mittens to go with it. I think if I have a full skein left I will use it to make socks.

Maggie: Hope your jeep repairs are horrendous. Cars sure are expensive to operate and in this day and age you pretty much have to have one unless you live someplace like New York city.

Jean: I hope they can find a way to help the friend with the tumor. Is it causing him trouble physically like memory or attitude change or physically getting around? Jack puts away dishes the same way. He usually knows the general area I keep stuff, but stuff will come up missing because he can't remember where he put it and we don't have that many cupboards! One thing that drives me nuts is he won't put things inside things like mixing bowls. He just sets the big ones on top of the little ones or puts the bigger skillets on top of the smaller ones. Not worth getting in an argument about so I just fix it.

You gals have a great weekend. It is commissary weekend oh joy! Jack is going to go and get his hair cut in the morning, but that is all of the plans for tomorrow. Faye
[/COLOR]

Last edited by gma22; 04-25-2014 at 07:35 AM.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:38 AM   #2  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friendly Fantastic Friday

GOOD AFTERNOON IN APRIL MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

We went to the store and bought fresh parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme and chives and my keepers arrived today. I had them in a little water in the fridge to keep them fresh. It was interesting to find that there were recipes on the packaging they were wrapped in. The containers fit nicely in the fridge that is in the kitchen on a shelf. I didn’t put the chives in one but wrapped them in a wet paper towel and put them in a zip lock bag. They seem to keep quite well that way as that is how I have kept them for a long while. I know I will be quite pleased with the keepers and will transfer the chives into one when there is room. The parsley took up all the room in the larger keeper and I didn’t want to crowd any of them for they stay fresher with room in the containers.

I know I will be up several times tonight because I have been drinking more ice water than usual but I felt I needed to drink lots of it so drank it and it was so good. Some packaged food I ate today must have had a lot of sodium in it.

What they did to the Jeep didn’t fix the problem so now they are going to put in a new radiator. We just had a new one installed 2 years ago but they aren’t made of metal anymore but some type of plastic. They are at least going to not charge us for the labor ~ just the parts which will be a great saving for us. After all they are the folks that did all the work on the Jeep two years ago. Plus they gave us a decent car to drive in the meantime.

DONNA FAYE I got a chuckle when I read your post when you said that you hoped that the repairs were horrendous. I take you just didn't type in the word "not" in that statement.

JEAN Hope all you planned to do today got done and you are a happy person.

Always remember ~ Never, ever, never give up
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:28 AM   #3  

Good morning to you all. It is clear and chilly this morning. Jack just left to run a small errand then will go and get his hair cut around 7:30. They open early on Saturday and he hates going so much he likes to be the first one there when they open the doors.

Not much going on today. I put in a load of laundry and will also do sheets today and work on the hat. It is coming along nicely and I love the pattern and color.

Maggie: Oh my gosh, I am so sorry. Obviously I meant I hope the charges were NOT horrendous. You would think parts would have better warranties. Nothing lasts anymore sad to say.

You all have a nice Saturday. Going to sit here and make out a menu and make grocery list for tomorrow's commissary run. Faye

Last edited by gma22; 04-26-2014 at 07:30 AM.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:07 PM   #4  

Good morning, ladies. Nice day in the high 70s. I love it.

My friend's daughter called and said she is going to put her into the same nursing home as her father. I'm kind of sad but Janice will at least be cared for and we will be sure one or two of us visit every day.

I'm catching up on my housework today. No fun there.

Faye, I need to plan next week's menus today, too. I try to get to the grocery store on Tuesday when they have senior discount. I saw in the paper this morning the commissary isn't going to save but about 10% on groceries beginning next year. The storms you had made it to us yesterday evening. Much thunder and lightening and a tornado touched down.

Maggie, I love fresh herbs. The taste is so much better. I have a window box with them in it. Those electrical problems can surely be horrendous. I had similar problems with a car I had and after they had replaced about everything on it, I ended up trading it in for the problem persisted.

Hi, Jean.

Enjoy your day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:55 PM   #5  

Good Afternoon! We are having strong winds today and it's not all that warm outside. There was a funeral at church this morning. The lady always sat in the pew behind us on Sunday mornings. She would spend winters in FL with her daughter and died down there in January. The "lunch" was broasted chicken, ham, green beans, cheesy potatoes, and rolls catered. The church ladies provided several different salads and cake for dessert. We just got home and I left again for the bridal shower. We had a "follow me" car going into town while goofballs tried to fill cracks in the pavement with tar. The shower was in a little town not far away so Bob's secretary and I went together. They had all kinds of fancy hot and cold dips with different kinds of chips, cheese and crackers, a veggie and fruit platter, smokies, lemonade or coffee, plus a Bloody Mary drink with dill pickles, asparagus spears, celery, and olives, mini cupcakes, and mints. I could have had another whole meal!

Maggie -- I hope the mechanics can find and fix the problem on your Jeep. I'm convinced my car is "clunking" again. Bob will have to drive it. I know you will enjoy using your new herb containers.

"Gma" -- Bob finally heard my washer making all the noise when it spins. His solution is to call the repairman! Ya think? Wish I could send a grocery list, for the things I forgot yesterday, with you!

Susan -- It is sad about your friend going to the nursing home. It might perk her up to be with her husband and around other people though. I'm sure she will appreciate your visits.

Now I need to change clothes and clear off the counter plus do a couple loads of laundry. However, I'm on the iPad instead. Hope you all enjoy the rest of your day and evening!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:53 PM   #6  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Hot Saturday

It is HOT here in the ♥-Land in the 91˚+ area with a low of 58˚ for the night and just a pettily bit of a 20% chance of rain. We won’t be able to get our Jeep back till next week sometime and it is sure weird driving around in this car for it sits so low to the ground but has plenty of leg room so we aren’t complaining. The radiator they ordered is plastic and probably next year we will get a metal one and have it installed along with replacing all the plastic stuff under the hood with metal pieces also. If those plastic ones aren’t built to last more than 2 years we surely don’t want another. Right now we don’t have a choice since they don’t order from the company that makes the metal ones and they can get the Jeep ready to drive more quickly than it would take for us to order a metal radiator and get it delivered and installed. We are kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place on that one. If we had known they don’t last very long when we had it installed two years ago then we would have had it replaced before now with a metal one.

I got a lovely bag of Clementine’s at the market today and have them in the fridge to get nice and cool. We plan on cutting into the round seedless watermelon we got yesterday which has been in there cooling all night.

I am making pork chops, potatoes and asparagus for dinner this day. I just started to do that when Will announced he was getting into the shower so I came in here to post. When I run water in the kitchen it draws it from his shower downstairs for some reason and I sure would hate to scald him. He will be out soon and I can get dinner started.

We went out to the range this afternoon and did some shooting and did pretty good. The wind wasn’t blowing but we had a slight breeze so it was quite pleasant out there. Hope it is as nice next week so we can go back.

JEAN You can have that strong wind for awhile for we are tired of it here. That luncheon sounds like it was a yummy one for that departed soul.

SUSAN The nice thing is that your friend can be where her husband is and that you gals will continue to visit her. We would rather our Jeep be fixed up than buy a new one which would cost twice as much as we paid for ours and not have all the "stuff" that is on it. Paid for has such a nice ring to it.

DONNA FAYE No harm, no foul for I knew what you meant and were absolutely not being mean. I heard today that commissary prices won't be any better than places like Walmart and other such markets. I find it a shame that things for those who have served our country are being scaled back.

Last edited by Maggie; 04-26-2014 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:00 PM   #7  

Good Morning! It's another gloomy, very windy day in my corner of the world. The rain sprinkles have begun to fall and there is rain predicted for the next few days. We've been to early church, a roast is cooking for dinner, potatoes and green beans ready when it's time, and a cucumber sliced and waiting. Plan to do some cleaning in the laundry room after we eat so the washer repairman won't have to wear a dust mask and duck under the cobwebs!

Maggie -- Too hot at your house yesterday! When we were at SAMs last week, they had a watermelon slicer that looked like an apple cutter only much bigger. It would slice the melon into 12 slices and core the middle at the same time. I never buy a whole melon but wondered if I would even be able to "work" the thing. I found it interesting that you can replace the plastic Jeep parts with metal ones. "They" sure don't make things to last like in the "old" days.

I need to check the dryer and fold a load of towels. Hope you all are enjoying a warm sunny day!
Old 04-27-2014, 02:45 PM   #8  

Good afternoon. Crazy weather for the next few days. It is thundering and lightening and raining hard and we are supposed to get several inches of rain in the next couple days so it is going to get ugly as we always have flooding around Memphis besides my garage flooding because they need to redo the concrete around the bottom and won't spend the money.

We splurged and had pizza after commissary shopping. It was totally nuts there today. It was crowded and people were being rude. We had to stand in line to check out forever too. It is all done now and put away so we have a reprieve for a couple weeks again.

I have the laundry all done but need to go upstairs and make the bed since I washed sheets today. Other than that I need to do up the few dishes and go back to knitting the hat.

Susan: I am so very sorry they are going to have to put your friend in a nursing home, but maybe she will feel better being closer to her husband. I am sure with her illness she wasn't getting to visit him much. I will pray for their family and for you too as I am sure this is very difficult for you. I found a pork tenderloin today that was already spiced and such so I hope it is good. Tenderloin is great because it is so low in fat. I got the mesquite one so hope we like it. Maybe make it with some nice new potatoes and some baby carrots.

Maggie: It irks me that they are taking potshots at the retired veterans so they can finance other crap. This administration is the worst our country has ever had to deal with so I am definitely not going to be sorry when his behind is out of office. Wow, it got warm at your house. We were in the 80's yesterday and it was quite lovely. It is really sticky today so I had to turn on the ac. The floors are even sort of sticky from the awful humidity today but that's what you get living in the south. I always think of you when I see the beautiful red buds. Everything bloomed late this year because of the crazy winter so we just recently had bloomed dogwoods and red buds and such.

Jean: I had to laugh at Bob thinking the solution to fixing your washer was to have someone come and fix your washer! Sounds like what Jack would day. Usually his comment when I ask him about a problem is, "I don't know, I'm not a plumber or I'm not a mechanic, or I'm not a whatever." Well frankly, I know that! Do you guys have a buick? Which one did you buy? We aren't buying a new car until December of 2015 but I have been looking at the Buick Lacrosse and really like it, but then I really like the look of the Ford Taurus too. I will not buy foreign under any circumstances. It is pretty breezy here too. I wore a summer scarf this morning and the darn thing kept trying to unwrap so I was fighting it and trying to walk with my cane and it wasn't going very well.

Well gals, I am going to go upstairs and make the bed. Have a great afternoon all. Faye
Old 04-28-2014, 08:11 AM   #9  

Good morning. We are in the midst of some very ugly weather at the moment. We have thunderstorm warnings and some places have tornado warnings. It is heavy winds and rain, thunder mostly right where I am, but Jack said it is bad out at the plant. So far we haven't lost power.

Down 3 lbs

Hopefully all of you came through any nasty weather ok.

Better get off the computer. You all have a nice day today. Faye
Old 04-28-2014, 12:30 PM   #10  

Good Morning! It's raining again today and I won't complain because we need it. Church counting went quickly as most of the money was cash; lots of visitors for Confirmation yesterday. The gift shop money was skimpy this week and has been deposited. After lunch we are heading to Sioux Falls for Ian' band concert tonight. We will meet them for supper first. Hard to believe it's almost May Basket Day!

"Gma" -- We have a Buick Enclave and really like it. We test drove a comparable Ford (can't remember the name) and it didn't have nearly as much leg room in the front nor back. We have the third seat which is nice for hauling things. We drive when we go to Maui since we can get four large suitcases, and three smaller ones in the space. I like the fact it sits up higher, but not as high as the pickup. on losing another 3#s! We had strong winds Saturday and Sunday but the really bad weather bypassed us. Hope you stay safe too!

I need to wrap Amanda's birthday gift -- she asked for a new mixer! We always give the kids money but like to wrap something too. Hope you all enjoy a marvelous Monday!
Old 04-29-2014, 07:16 AM   #11  

Good morning gals. It is chilly and more rain and nasty weather expected today for us then clearing out and by the weekend lots of sun and 80+ degree temps for next week.

Finished the hat for my stylist. The color isn't very accurate here. I worked at it for about half an hour, but couldn't get it to come out right. It is bright oranges and pinks. I looked for a pattern that used sock yarn and the hats I found were either too involved or plain so I took a plain watch cap sock yarn pattern so I knew how many stitches to cast on then found a worsted weight pattern that had a nice pattern repeat that matched the number of stitches so it is actually a combination of the two.

I doubt I knit today. This rain is wreaking havoc with the ole bones so my hands a really sore as well as my left shoulder which acts up from time to time if I have been knitting a lot as I tend to lean forward just a bit when I knit and it strains the muscle right in my left shoulder blade.

I was going to do sweeping and mopping today but am going to wait now with the rain until tomorrow. No use in doing it twice and Jack tracks in when he comes in from work. So just daily chores for me today I guess.

Jean: We looked at the Edge/MKX, but it was smaller than the Mariner in room so we went with it. I really like the look of the Enclave a lot, but we are going to get a sedan because it is becoming increasingly hard for me to step up into the Mariner or into Kelly's van or anything where I have to step up into a vehicle. I got a real giggle as you said you drive when you go to Maui. That must be a wet ride. n

Hello to Susan and Maggie! Have a great day all. Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg connieshat.jpg (35.8 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by gma22; 04-29-2014 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:25 AM   #12  

Good Morning! Rain, rain, and more rain! I'm just thankful the storms haven't been close to us. I don't think there is any chance for soccer games tonight. We drove in rain both coming and going yesterday. Ian looked so grown up in his shirt and tie -- very handsome young man if I do say so myself. I am always amazed at how some people act at concerts, gatherings, etc. The combined bands played the Star Spangled Banner and some grubby looking guys didn't even remove their caps. The vets presented the flags and some people just kept talking. Makes me mad they don't show respect!

"Gma" -- The hat is so cute! I really like the colors and pattern! I'm impressed that you can figure out how the colors and pattern will work. Greek to me! Hope your hands and shoulder feel better soon. Bob's secretary drives a Cadillac similar to my car. I picked her up for for the shower and she commented how much easier it was for her to get in and out of mine. Her's doesn't have as much door space as I do; she has a new knee and the swelling from neurothopy (sp?) in her whole leg. Cars are sure different! There is nothing graceful about me getting in and out of Bob's pickup.

I need to get my day going. First thing on my agenda is to call the appliance store and line up a washer repairman. I see $$$ coming! Hope you all enjoy a terrific Tuesday!
Old 04-29-2014, 01:13 PM   #13  
Thin Within

Talking Tuesday and a very Windy Day

It is in the high 50˚s as I sit here and I can hear the wind blowing. As long as it continues to blow so hard like it is they can’t drive our Jeep to test it to see if what they have done to it so far has fixed the problem. They need a day when it is rather still to do the testing. So in the meantime we have this car which my only complaint with is that it is hard for me to get into for I have to rather fall down onto the seat. I would much rather climb up into my Jeep. The dogs haven’t been going for a ride with us for we don’t want them in that car.

I was busy yesterday typing up “The History Of Duelling”, using an old English font. There are 10 rules that the combatants had to adhere to. Will is giving a speech on the subject and so I made the handouts for him to give one set of rules to each person in the audience. Dueling originated in France. I printed the rules out on very old parchment looking paper and rolled them up into a scroll and tied them with a bow of thistle string. He went by the gun shop where a set of dueling pistols belonging to the museum is on display to pick up one of the guns for his “show and tell” talk. The talk and demonstration is for a group here in town that each year gives a hefty donation to the museum. A courtesy talk, so to speak, as a “thank you” for their generosity.

I don’t like the wind. Have I said that before? Probably a hundred or so times I am sure. We will have that nice teen boy back, when the wind stops, to pick up trash that has been deposited in the back yard during these windy days. I wish the shops around the corner would hook the lids down on their trash bins. The wind just lifts it up and brings it around the corner down the alley to our yard. We can tell where it comes from by the type of trash it is.

I haven’t yet decided what it is that I will fix for dinner this day and will probably wait until my main squeeze gets home and ask if there is anything in particular he wants me to make. He will be back in time for whatever meat he chooses will get thawed in time for the fixing. AH, but I love that feature on my microwave oven that enables me to thaw things out quickly.

JEAN Nut mich rain in all this wind we are having. Sorry if the rain there does cancel the soccer game tonight. Kids do grow up too fast don't they. That is a real shame that folks can't be more respectful.

DONNA FAYE We would love to have some of your rain. Perhaps we could make a trade ~ our wind for your rain. That is a lovely hat and I am sure it will put a nice smile on your friends face when she sees it. :cp

Last edited by Maggie; 04-29-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:34 AM   #14  

Good morning to you all. It is going to stay around 60 today for a high but looks like a nice sunny day for several days now and looking forward to a nice warm weekend. We are going out this weekend and replace Jack's droopy drawer swimsuits before they get picked over and get him some ankle socks to wear with his New Balance for the cruise. He says this pair don't hit him as high on the ankle so he can wear the footie style socks like I wear around the house. In fact, he can buy the same ones as I buy mens' to wear because I have such big feet!

I think I am going to start the mittens today. Again the pattern is for dk weight but all I have to do is go up a size or two on the needle and do a gauge swatch to make sure it is to gauge and then I am good.

Jack met the lady who lives next door now. She was pulling out of her garage and stopped and introduced herself and shockingly said she had a teenage daughter and if her music ever got too loud to just come over and let them know and they would make her turn it down. Jack said she was really nice and I noticed they are really quiet. Yippeee, maybe we finally have decent neighbors.

I need to call the dr office and schedule a gyn appt for another biopsy and I am stalling. I am so tired of going through all that stuff, but it needs to be done one last time I guess so I should get on it today. It will probably be 6 weeks before I can get in to see him anyway as he is always booked solid.

I bought a coral scarf that is called a bead scarf because it has end caps on each end that you attach a line of beads or whatever to it. I bought beads for it, but the head pins are too short and too thin that I bought so I went and did something kooky. I ordered two key chains each one has a picture of each grandson on it. I am going to take the little square picture and put it on the end cap. I wear it and can have my grandsons along for the ride!

Jean: I get really peeved at people who don't show respect too. Seems like it is mostly younger people who don't really care. I guess because most of them never went through war for one thing. I mean we are still the generation of the draft notice and forced military service besides our parents going through WW2 instilling respect in us for patriotism and such. Well you figure in our day they burned the flag and now they refuse to salute it in any way, we burned our bras and nowadays they not only don't wear one, but show their boobs to the world on a daily basis, we had free love, but now free love is sadly considered the norm and those that wait are considered freaks, our parents smoked and drank and ate what they wanted and died young a lot of time. We now have no smoking everywhere, drinking has risen to way about a social drink at dinner and everyone is on some diet or other. Freedom was the norm and now little by little we are becoming a nation of socialists who allow our government to tell us what to do in every aspect of our lives. So though we have technology, better medicines, hospitals drs and such to save more lives, and other things, I sometimes wonder if it has all been worth it. For the most part gone are the days of parades downtown, sodas at the soda fountains, all day Saturday movies for one price, playing outside at night let alone daytime, and traveling with your family anywhere without being strip searched.

Maggie: On the menu tonight is cold shrimp for me and crab cakes for Jack. He hasn't decided what he wants to go with it yet. He will be home early today as he has a dr appt this afternoon and is leaving work at 11. Hope you can get your Jeep back soon. I have just the opposite problem. Because my knee doesn't bend well and is my right knee, stepping up into the SUV is really getting difficult as I have to put all my weight on the bad knee getting into the passenger's side.

Well gals, need to fix my meds and get me some breakfast. Have a great middle of the week. Sure hope they pick up my trash today as we have a lot since they missed us last week. Faye

Last edited by gma22; 05-02-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:27 AM   #15  

Good Morning! It's another cool, windy, wet morning in my neighborhood. I am waiting for the washer repairman to call if he can work me into his schedule today -- sometime between 9 and 4. Bob helped me do some power cleaning in the basement last night. I would be embarrassed to have anyone pull my washer and dryer out let alone wade through the scattered kitty litter, dust, and cobwebs! I could live without a basement that seems to collect stuff that should be out the door -- except for the litter boxes.

Maggie -- I bet Will's talk on dueling will be interesting. People who enjoy history have a way of making it interesting to others. I am sick of wind too! I hate having my hair just the way I like it and then have to go outside only to have the wind rearrange it. Soccer was postponed last night. If it is the first game, they don't make it up but will after that. We may have games after school is out! This weather has just been nuts. The soccer fields are next to the interstate which have been under construction for a couple years. It's been a challenge to keep up with "how to get there." Beth has to travel that way for work so let's us know in advance which exit to take.

"Gma" -- I hope Jack can find a swimsuit that fits. I still have a dumb phone but thanks for the information on the food diary app. It sounds like you have lucked out on nice neighbors this time. Be sure to share a picture of your scarf when you get the pictures on it. Cute idea! Good luck with the doctor appt. I don't like those either.

I need to sort through the paper pile so best keep going. We have a dinner at the hospital tonight for being "life saver" donors. The chef is good so the food will be delicious. Hope you all enjoy a wonderful Wednesday!

Last edited by Jean; 04-30-2014 at 11:29 AM.