Old 04-22-2014, 07:48 PM   #1  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Wink I want to rejoin WW but I'm not sure if I will do online or meetings

Hi there,

I have done WW a number of times but when I really devote myself to it and stay motivated, I have done well. I reached my 10 percent goal about five or seven years ago and I think the fact that I connected so well with a leader, really helped.

I like the aspect of meetings where it is fun to meet people and feel motivated but the thing I haven't liked about some of the meetings I went to more recently was that I felt that sometimes the leaders were a bit bossy and snobbish and it seemed that it was a weight loss competition, which I don't think is healthy, I mean this isn't The Biggest Loser.

I am a computer/iPad and iPhone person so I really liked the online and the etools because I found it much easier to track my points online and look up different foods. That seemed like such a convenience and I like the WW community online for the most part.

So, I don't know, the issue I am struggling with about doing the online or etools is weighing myself. I don't like keeping a scale at home because I tend to obsess about it, when I was doing JC, I had a scale and I became obsessed with the scale, weighing myself all the time and I drove myself nuts.

What are others experiences and advice?

Thanks!

Amy
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:33 PM   #2  

Have you looked into itrackbites (or it could be itrackbytes). I had it on my iPhone 5 and loved it. A very inexpensive way to do weight watchers
stunningsparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:57 PM   #3  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

I have never heard of it before you mentioned it, stunningsparkle, thank you for the suggestion. Is this an app?

Thanks!

Amy
Old 04-24-2014, 06:24 PM   #4  
Less of a Better Me

I tried online WW because like you I'm comfortable online and thought I could do it myself. I understood the program and never really learn anything new in meetings. But....I just didn't stay on it doing it alone. I would have a "weigh in" day but I knew it was only me seeing the result (not that anyone other than WW staff sees it there) and so I didn't really feel motivated to stay on track for weigh in. It was all to easy to say I would weigh the next day or next week.

For me, the in person meetings do 3 things:

1. The accountability of the weigh in really does motivate me. If I'm weighing in tomorrow (I am!) then I'm not going out to eat today and I'm really watching what I eat.

2. Going to a meeting where everyone talks about weight loss helps me to focus on weight loss. It just keeps my head in the right place.

3. Having the weekly meeting structures my week for me. It gives me a very short term goal to focus on. I just stay more focused going to in person meetings.

I do also record calories (I use MyFitnessPal) as well as WW points on the WW site. So, I do think online can be great for people who can keep up the motivation and stick with the program online. It would be nice if I was one of those people, but I'm not.

As far as the leader, when we moved to this area we had to check out a lot of meetings before we found a leader and meeting we've clicked with.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:22 PM   #5  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

Talking

stunningsparkle-

Thank you for that info about the app, I checked it out and I may try it, quite reasonable. Have you found that the app is accurate with WW Points?

Koshka,

I definitely hear what you're saying. I was so fortunate to have the great leader who I met awhile ago, I really felt that I clicked with her because we were around the same age and I really liked her personality. She's no longer working in that location but I may call WW of Philadelphia and ask if she is in the Philly area, maybe I can ask them about a leader that would be similar in personality. I agree with you about the weigh in, if I know that I'm going to weigh in on a certain day, I'm less inclined to eat a heavy and salty meal.

Maybe when I move I will start going to meetings and do the app that sparkle suggested, that would be good for me, instead of paying for the e-tools or online.

Thank you both so much and good luck on releasing the weight!!

Amy
Old 04-25-2014, 01:23 AM   #6  

I used it about three years ago (I believe) and compared to the online program at the time it seemed pretty accurate.
stunningsparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:43 PM   #7  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

Thank you stunningsparkle! I will definitely consider doing it! It sounds great.

Take care,

Amy
Old 04-26-2014, 04:25 AM   #8  

You could always try out a meeting and if you found it wasn't for you, try the online version.

From my experience, I would suggest trying a month's worth of meetings before making a decision. It's like when you meet anyone or experience something new - it may take a few encounters before you get a real sense of what something or someone is like.

With my meetings, no one talked at first; but I noticed that after I had been attending regularly for a couple months the same people started attending and we would begin to not only contribute to the meetings, but we would begin to talk amongst ourselves as well.
Autumnjana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:52 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 404/306/170ish

Height: 5'7"

I love weight watchers! I prefer going to meetings so I have something to be accountable for. I am lucky and have a great leader but took 3 different meetings to find the one I chose.
projectjudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:34 PM   #10  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

Thank you everyone for the replies.

I started using my fitness pal to track my calories. That seems to work for me because it's like WW online tracking but free. I'll consider meetings again.

Thanks!

Amy
Old 06-03-2014, 03:15 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 135/133/115

Height: 5'2"

Default Weight Watchers points on My Fitness Pal...

Hi seabiscuit, I know this is a month late, but just saw your post.

I just downloaded a thing to be able to see WW points on my fitness pal along with calories Very neat. It doesn't show up on the app, only on a computer and you have to use firefox for it. It was pretty easy to do too.

Here are the instructions I followed if you are interested...

* Make sure on myfitnesspal your diary is set up like this - Carbs then Fat then Fibre then Protein then None (edited by logging onto myfitnesspal - Settings - Diary Settings) This will allow it to calculate the Points.

1st - You need to use the Mozilla Firefox browser. If you don't have it, download it for free. (I've heard there is something that will make this work on Chrome browser as well, but this is the one I did)

2nd - Use this link to add the grease monkey add on to mozilla firefox...
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir.../greasemonkey/
(after doing this you will see a lil monkey face on the top bar of mozilla you can click on with options)

Then go to this link (which is a user script) and hit install - http://userscripts.org:8080/scripts/show/122949

Your diary on myfitness pal should now show points as well.

Here is the link to the discussion I found it on on mfp - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/s...-points-on-mfp

Grease Monkey Add on -
Allows you to customize the way a web page displays or behaves, by using small bits of JavaScript.
(JavaScript; an object-oriented computer programming language commonly used to create interactive effects within web browsers.)

User Script Summary: Adds display of Weightwatcher points to any daily food diary page. Defaults to the older weight watcher point calculation. To display the new Points Plus calculation, edit the source code. On line 10, change variable pointsPlus=false; to pointsPlus=true; To display whole point precision instead of 0.5 (matches exactly WW calculators), change the variable precisionWW to false on line 11

Last edited by Aldergrove BC; 06-03-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Aldergrove BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:25 PM   #12  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

Default hi there...

Hi,

Thank you all for your input. I've decided that I want to try meetings and e-tools together, a family member is willing to split the cost with me half way, which is very nice. I was planning on heading to a meeting today but something came up. I'm planning on going this weekend if there are meetings in my area.

I am just dreading the scale. I've been in denial for so long about the number on the scale that I am a bit anxious about seeing it, yes, it's just a number but I've let it measure my self-worth. I feel that I will be more focused and dedicated this time but I've said that before. I'm ready for a fresh start, I just have some anxieties. I think that the group support will help.

Thanks for reading.

Amy