Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 11:06 PM   #1  

Default Jumping into the Atkins pool

OK folks, some of you might remember me posting for info on Atkins a couple of weeks ago. Well, we're taking the plunge effective tomorrow. I just got back from the store with my giant butcher order, lots of veggies and fresh spinach. And I'm terrified.

My wonderful husband is also doing this- we've got a LOT to lose together- and his attitude is much better than mine about this. I haven't felt so depressed since I tried WW 18 mos ago... all I can think about is all the stuff I can't have.

I realize there's so much that I can have compared to WW, my friends are doing it and say its great... but I'm a worryer, and I know I'll be craving like mad. I'm already eating up all the "bad" stuff in the house to get rid of it- god forbid I give it away!! I'm sure all these carbs I've taken in this weekend will make my withdrawl that much worse.

I've got my lo-carb recipie book, and we want to try new things. I'm just afraid, mostly of failure, as usual.

So, I'll be writing in to tell you about how it's going and praying it won't be as bad as I've imagined it to be.

Thanks for your support....

SpyGirl

Portland, OR
Old 01-18-2004, 11:28 PM   #2  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

SpyGirl,

I *promise* you will feel soooo much better on Atkins. Cravings pass, and great-tasting food that keeps you full remains. Yes, you will have withdrawal pains, but afterwards, you should be ok. I'm not tempted by high-sugar stuff anymore after 2 months on low-carb. I ate some cake at my mom's this past week to be polite and it was NOT GOOD. Who would ever think chocolate cake with frosting would be bad? But I found it overpowering, like eating a tablespoon of saccharin.

Don't worry, you can do this!
Old 01-19-2004, 07:41 AM   #3  
Baby Steps

I agree with Sarah--the cravings pass! Well, I admit that once in a while I look @ something I'm not supposed to have and sigh. But the urge to eat it passes when I think of the bit I've lost so far and the amount I have to go yet. enjoy what you CAN have
Old 01-19-2004, 08:11 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 223/GOAL/140

Height: 5'6"

SpyGirl,

Change is always difficult and Atkins or any change in eating is very scary at first, I was terrified that I'd fail at this one too like all the others. But promise yourself the first 2 weeks cheat free, a woman can do almost anything for 2 weeks. That's how I've done the whole thing 2 week promises to myself at a time it's easier than looking down the road to a year from now. And here I am 6 months later totally on program, I'm as surprised as anyone.

My cravings left after 3 days, some people find it takes a full 7 days. The most wonderful thing happens on Atkins though, you know that desperate feeling like you have to eat something this very instant or someone's goona die? ya, that goes away. The urge to eat just vanishes. You're left only to contend with the emotional and boredom eating, physiologically you're set. Granted our brains are the hardest thing to master but there's many before you who you can lean on, feel free to lean hard, we can take it.

You're worth it, fight hard.
Tummy
Old 01-19-2004, 11:14 AM   #5  
Head Princess

Spygirl -

What side of Portland are you on? Theo'sgirl and I both live in the Portland area, so you can even have in person support if you need it. You're gonna do great!!!
Old 01-19-2004, 11:46 AM   #6  
The Princess O' Pets

Spy Girl,
Don't you worry I did just the same thing as you did the day before I started, and my cravings only lasted 3 days, BUT I felt so energized it didn't matter. I still only crave ketchup. The good thing about this plan is if you fall off, just get back up, As long as it is a fall off for just 1 meal, you usually do OK. You just have to get right back on it. Like Star said we are both in Portland, so if you need advice or help just ask! Plus you are in the right place! It also helps to do the food log thread, that will help you chart out your carbs and see other ideas of food other people have.

Good luck!!!
Old 01-19-2004, 01:03 PM   #7  

It's 10 AM here in not-so-sunny-today Portland, and I still haven't had breakfast since I'm just not a breakfasty person... they say not to do that, but I can't bring myself to eat in the morning yet.

My DH actually stayed home from work today (I have the day off as a holiday), but I just think he wants to be sure we get through at least Day 1 together.

We ate this chocolate cake last night, and I couldn't finish it- it just started to taste awful about halfway through... and I'm not even really started yet!

My poor DH, he's so ready for this- I wish I was more upbeat and less depressed about it.

We're in Tualatin, so if you guys are around local, maybe we can meet up sometime.

Onward into Atkins!

SpyGirl
Old 01-19-2004, 02:08 PM   #8  
2nd time around-er

hi spygirl,

i too find the cravings pass but it takes me about 7 days. THEN i get a rush of energy and well-being that is fantastic! i always get a little cleaning out binge - this last time i went through all my old cookbooks AND recipe box and tossed everything that isn't Atkins friendly (this is my 2nd time, so i can tell by a quick look no problem).

i also did some needed rearranging in my house and the changes i made were wonderful.

the rush has passed, i'm now in my third week on Level 2, but still feel great and no cravings. now when i want something quick to eat, i almost always go for a piece of special cheese - i like to keep an assortment of really wonderful cheeses in the fridge (small amounts of each). this is a real treat for me.

everyone finds their own special treats that fit in the atkins way of life. i encourage you to be courageous and find those things that really satisfy you, too.

one more little tidbit, remember when on induction not to eat less than your body wants. you do have to limit some of the allowed items, but eat all you can of the unlimited ones until you are full. you don't want to limit yourself and be hungry during these first weeks. you actually won't gain from eating all that meat - you will lose more if you follow atkins' suggestions. it really does work! it's amazing and defies our "logic". (that's why there are so many critics - they just can't believe this actually works!)

good luck to both of you! i think it's great you are doing it together, that can be sooooo helpful. but be prepared for the fact that men usually lose more weight faster than women do... but in the long run you can lose just as much or more. so don't be discouraged by this seemingly unfair trend.

Last edited by YooHoo; 01-19-2004 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:15 PM   #9  
Head Princess

Spygirl - We're in Hillsboro and I believe Theo'sgirl is somewhere in SE Portland.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:01 PM   #10  

Oh man... it's 3:00 pm, and I want something sweet so baaaad!! Chocolate! Cookies! Something!!!! I'm not exactly hungry... I've eaten about 4 pieces of bacon in the morning, and some taco meat with cheese and sour cream at lunch. So according to my Fitday, it says I've had about 3 carbs... I've got some eggs boiled, and was going to make deviled eggs, but now I have a HEADACHE!!!

God help me... I feel all weird and crawly. I'm so glad I'm off work today- I wouldn't be worth a flip!

I'm going to make a cup of green tea with Splenda to see if it shakes off the sweet craving at all.

Any advice ladies? I need to know what to be eating... I can't think straight!

SpyGirl
Old 01-19-2004, 06:43 PM   #11  
Head Princess

Welcome to withdrawls

Hang in there. I find distraction tactics to be especially helpful. Clean something, do your nails, work on a puzzle, go shoe shopping. Just get yourself good and distracted from thinking about food and obsessing about what you "can't" have.

It is honestly miserable for a few days. I was a raging maniac - not even my beloved doggies would come near me. I was tired, grumpy, and completely dissatisfied. I wanted to eat even though I wasn't hungry because I wasn't getting what I wanted (like pasta!). Those 3 or 4 yucky days have been well worth it, though. I'm happier, mood swings are almost non-existant, my skin looks better, I rarely have menstrual cramps, I'm stronger, I'm not controlled by my eating, and I'm removing weight!

I promise - it's worth it and you'll feel much better very soon as long as you don't give in.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:57 PM   #12  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hang in there Spy, your gonna do great. Just remember you can always come in here and scream when a craving hits lol.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:11 PM   #13  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

I am the queen of sugar and I cannot do this program without a quart of Sugar Free jello reading and waiting in my fridge. It really helps to have it handy when those cravings hit!
Old 01-19-2004, 11:52 PM   #14  

OMG---- it's 8:45pm, we just got back from Friday's, bringing my daily carb count to a whopping 8 carbs... and I feel like I'm dying. I'm shaky, nauseous, weepy. This is worse than really bad PMS. I have NO energy. I don't know if I can go to work like this tomorrow.

I went and got the sugar free jello, and some Reddi Whip (less than 1 carb), but haven't had any yet. I want to do this right, without cheating. A friend of mine is doing her own version of induction, keeping below 20 carbs, but eating anything under that, including low carb bread, ice cream, etc. She's losing, and isn't going through this ****....

What have I gotten myself into?

SpyGirl
Old 01-20-2004, 12:00 AM   #15  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyGirl
OMG---- it's 8:45pm, we just got back from Friday's, bringing my daily carb count to a whopping 8 carbs... and I feel like I'm dying. I'm shaky, nauseous, weepy. This is worse than really bad PMS. I have NO energy. I don't know if I can go to work like this tomorrow.

I went and got the sugar free jello, and some Reddi Whip (less than 1 carb), but haven't had any yet. I want to do this right, without cheating. A friend of mine is doing her own version of induction, keeping below 20 carbs, but eating anything under that, including low carb bread, ice cream, etc. She's losing, and isn't going through this ****....

What have I gotten myself into?

SpyGirl
Daily count of 8? Hey where's the other 12 you are allowed? Induction can be rough but you are making it HARDER on yourself... come on there, little camper, eat your vegs and salad, and have some cheese, or pepperoni, SOMETHING to get you up to 12. With all the vegs you are allowed, 8 is too low.

No wonder you had a rough day. Those 12 grams of carbs can help more than you think. Less is not more in Induction. 20 is the goal.

Induction is also 2 weeks of Strict Eating to break you of carb addiction. That's why there is no fake bread, ice cream, etc.... to get you out away from that for a bit.

YOU CAN DO IT!! Eat what you are allowed but do not punish yourself by staying way under 20. That way lies the Giant Temptation of Carb Overload.
Closed Thread