Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 04-17-2014, 07:34 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Default IE - Don't Give in to Bikini Body Season

One of the interesting IE blogs is Isabel Foxen Duke http://isabelfoxenduke.com/

Here she appears in an interview about the dangers of crash dieting in order to meet the expectation of bikini season. I'm sure all of us have felt the pressures of warmer weather, the exposure of our arms and legs and the dread of getting into a swimsuit. The diet mentality kicks into full gear at this time of year and we have to remember that it can be very harmful to our bodies and our minds to go on crash diets. Very interesting interview http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/seg...a76056960000f7
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:23 AM   #2  

Ok I listened to it. I don't buy the 6 meal a day thing at all, I like the three meals basically theory but I'm sitting here eating grapes at the moment and if you need another meal or snack so be it. I just think it's important to get hungry and not graze in that ozone of neither hungry nor full all the time where I'm constantly thinking about what else to eat now.

I do really buy into the farmers market thing for us we have a huge vegetable garden which provides it's bounty in seasonal flushes so we overdose on the salads, then peas, then sweet corn, and then tomatoes oh my the tomatoes! One of our most beloved tomato fest meals is chopping up a huge bowl of tomatoes with salt, let them sit 30 minutes to get them real juicy, and then a loaf of crusty bread to sop of the tomato juice and bottle of good red wine. Yum yum yum.

I love to go to a produce market and fill my cart with what looks great in between and build meals around the veggies but then I like to cook so that probably isn't for everybody.

Another thing that I've learned that works for me is to take some of my heavier favorites like pastas and risotto and make it as a side dish with a protein and vegetables. It really let's me enjoy them and not get the heavy uncomfortable feeling I just don't like anymore.
CindySunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:52 AM   #3  

I agree with you about the 6meals a day. It is very counter intuitive to tell someone not to diet but then instruct them to eat 6 meals a day. When I was dutifully following similar advice about several small meals I was even more constantly hungry and constantly thinking about food. So even the person saying not to diet is actually giving dieting advice. But the other speakers I thought were very good.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:15 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
I agree with you about the 6meals a day. It is very counter intuitive to tell someone not to diet but then instruct them to eat 6 meals a day. When I was dutifully following similar advice about several small meals I was even more constantly hungry and constantly thinking about food. So even the person saying not to diet is actually giving dieting advice. But the other speakers I thought were very good.
I agree the eat 6 times a day could easily turn into 8. These crazy weight loss plans are ridiculous.

Furthermore there are skinny women that don't look good in bikinis. In my younger years with a great body I wouldn't wear them, they tend to come off easily when you're doing water sports, so I always wore full swimming suits anyway. So what's in less coverup clothing anyway, most of us just want to look good in clothes ha.ha.

The eating 6 times a day is supposed to keep you from getting hungry? We'll there is no such thing as weight loss without getting hungry, everyone just needs to realize that, and go thru the hunger pang session, until their stomach and brain realize that the new lesser portion size is the new norm, and then and only then do the hunger pangs stop.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:38 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
I agree the eat 6 times a day could easily turn into 8. These crazy weight loss plans are ridiculous.

Furthermore there are skinny women that don't look good in bikinis. In my younger years with a great body I wouldn't wear them, they tend to come off easily when you're doing water sports, so I always wore full swimming suits anyway. So what's in less coverup clothing anyway, most of us just want to look good in clothes ha.ha.

The eating 6 times a day is supposed to keep you from getting hungry? We'll there is no such thing as weight loss without getting hungry, everyone just needs to realize that, and go thru the hunger pang session, until their stomach and brain realize that the new lesser portion size is the new norm, and then and only then do the hunger pangs stop.
Who are we to say who looks good or doesn't look good in a bikini? We don't want to be judged but we're very quick to judge others. It's something that we women are taught to do, self critique and critique others and it's unecessary completely. It's a habit I have had, along with all women I bet but I'm slowly and surely retraining myself to not attack a woman based on her appearance.

There is weightloss without hungry, but we should never strive to be hungry. Hunger is a natural signal given to us at birth for a reason. How would we know to eat if our body doesn't signal us? I agree with you that we need to not fear hunger but rather use it as a tool to meet our own needs. Unfortunately many people override their hunger signals in either 2 ways:

1. They overeat, undermining their hunger signals because they want to eat to fill emotional needs, and try to supress their discomforting feelings with food. Thereby ignoring their body's natural hunger/satiety regulation system.

2. They undermine their hunger signals through dieting, putting all their trust into someone else telling them when to eat, how much to eat, what to eat and what not to eat.

Both of these reasons cause us to completely disconnect with our body taking us further and further away from our own needs. Hunger is not scary once you really learn what it is, how it works and give it what it's asking for.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:20 PM   #6  

I just wanted to say that I am totally giving into bikini season this year and buying a FATKINI. Texas beach here I come
stunningsparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:04 PM   #7  

I've never heard of a fatkini
Old 04-22-2014, 03:11 AM   #8  
Cat Cuddler

S/C/G: 287/266/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunningsparkle View Post
I just wanted to say that I am totally giving into bikini season this year and buying a FATKINI. Texas beach here I come
The word "bikini" has never been in my vocabulary. However, maybe we should change the name "fatkini" to "cutekini" or "curvykini"!

Have a great time on the Texas beach!
doingmybest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:52 PM   #9  

I'm also "giving in" and totally pumped! Its not my sole motivation, but a side bonus to positive changes I've made.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:18 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 260/261/180

Height: 64 inches

I found the interview very interesting. I completely can relate to the information from all of the panelists. I have tried every "diet" out there and this is something that actually makes sense to me. I agree the media and "beach bikini" talk makes it even more difficult to not buy in to the idea that there is a perfect diet out there that will cure everything and if I just follow that "perfect diet" for a matter of 6 weeks of less I will look like the model who is advertising the product/plan. I thought the discussion on Kim Kardashian was interesting in that she is so open about showing how wonderful she looks now so soon after having a baby, but even if I had all of the same benefits as her, a personal chef, personal trainer, and money to get the best of everything, I still would not be able to get rid of my personal issues with food, just like every other diet I have tried I would just gain it back plus some. I feel like the more I restrict myself the more I end up eating in the end. In the past year I have been working closely with a therapist to deal with issues that i always somehow circulate back to food and eating. As i have learned more about myself i am learning that the restriction is actually a major trigger for me to eat more unhealthy foods.
Mercedes136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:26 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedes136 View Post
I feel like the more I restrict myself the more I end up eating in the end. In the past year I have been working closely with a therapist to deal with issues that i always somehow circulate back to food and eating. As i have learned more about myself i am learning that the restriction is actually a major trigger for me to eat more unhealthy foods.
Oh how I can relate to this. When I look back in my life through pictures and see how beautiful I was (never thin, but much thinner than now) I long for the days of not stepping on scales or dieting. My first diet was Atkins, and soon after I embarked on a decade of hating myself every time I put a piece of bread in my mouth. That's a lot of damage and negativity to ingest along with that piece of bread. It wasn't until I started weight myself, weighing food, counting calories, using a tape measure, and criticizing every morsel of food I put in my mouth that I started really gaining weight.

You look back and you think to yourself how long you have been trying to change and work out and fix fix fix your diet only to accumulate more weight. I have spoken to a lot of people about this and they all come to the same realization, that it's not until they start dieting that they start packing on the pounds. The only exception to those findings is people who have just recently lost a little weight - it drives them to believe that they finally found the right diet and that they will sustain it forever. Unfortunately statistics do not support long term success but I can totally and compassionately see how someone has to blind themselves to those facts in order to sustain temporary weight loss.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:44 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
I've never heard of a fatkini
I ordered this one

http://www.forever21.com/Product/Pro...234&VariantID=
stunningsparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 212/148/130

That's really cute Stunningsparkle. Term cutekini works for me.

So when I was at my heaviest and most negative mind-frame was when my appendix ruptured and I had surgery that the doctors had purposefully left open the incision for (to allow to drain, ew gross right, but appreciate the appetite suppressant haha you're welcome)
One of the nursing-students from the local university did her best to console me with an emphatic "Guess you won't be wearing a bikini this summer." (I don't know how she thought that would be helpful, but having several nurses in my family I do know it's hard to say the right thing.)
I said to her, "Honey, if I can fit into a bikini this summer, your d*mn-rights I'm wearing one, and the scar from this will be on display for the whole beach!"
I started at the gym that year even though it took a few more years for the courage to wear a bikini. I do wear a bikini and I am not perfect. Stretch marks (no kids) and scars on display.
bravome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:59 PM   #14  
Black Barbie

S/C/G: 252/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Good for you, bravome!! Have no fear and enjoy your life! It's very freeing to live your life making decisions that are YOURS and are not based upon what other people think.
Olivia7906 is offline   Reply With Quote