Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 04-16-2014, 05:54 PM   #1  

Default How do you know if you're too fat to wear something?

I am 5'8 and weigh 165lbs, (want to get down to 130lbs)the other day I wore a miniskirt out in public and felt a tad bit insecure at times. No one gave me any crazy looks that I know of. But I have one of those body types where its hard to tell if I am overweight or not, or if I look too fat in something. if I was too big for the mini dress would someone have told me? or gave me a crazy look. I just don't know how to tell if I look good in something or not
Bout2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:58 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I know what you mean....I often find it hard to tell. You either have to ask someone you trust or you can take a photo of yourself in the mirror. It does help to have a full length mirror, but I find that my brain plays tricks on me. Mainly, you should judge it based on how it makes YOU feel, not what others think. If you feel good in your skirt then don't worry about it. I do believe we should dress in an age appropriate way so at my age I wouldn't wear a miniskirt but you're probably a lot younger. Also, when I do wear a skirt, I wear it with hosiery but that's because my skin has been through a lot after years of ups and downs with my weight.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:37 PM   #3  

You're never too fat to wear something. Ever. Don't ever let anybody tell you you are too heavy, barring public decency laws of course. Wear what makes you feel comfortable. Nobody else can tell you what to wear, only you.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

You have to be a little careful about deigning yourself too-fat to fit into something. In my experience it's a slippery slope and it opens a lot of new doors to insecurity. I notice that if I one day say "i'm too fat to wear spaghetti straps" that it even when I lose a little weight the confidence to wear spaghetti straps doesn't come back with weight loss. So really be careful about telling yourself you're too fat to wear something.

On the other hand, having good style and good taste goes beyond weight/size. I can be a dunce about it so I take selfies from my closet or department store dressing rooms and send them to my BFF and she gives me immediately advice like "yo did you get that in the old lady's department???" or "you look great in that but do they have it in a different color? Pink washes you out." And I trust her so I go with it, I know she wouldn't let me look bad and she's very sheek.

Sometimes a selfie can even help me make up my own mind. The mirror and a picture tell different stories so sometimes I look good in the mirror but don't like how it looks in a picture, or vice versa. Find ways to support yourself and keep the words "too fat" out of it! Use words like "Does this compliment my shape?" "Is this shirt to long or too short?" "Would this look better if it was tailored in the bust?" Remember, clothes are inanimate objects, they exist solely for the purpose of making YOU look good, they are not made so that you can make THEM look good got it??
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:18 PM   #5  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

I see lots of girls wearing short skirts who i think gee you've got a lot of confidence. I think they don't look great on very big girls but you don't sound like you are in that category at all.

But as suggested above, ask for a second opinion from a trusted friend or family member and if you aren't confident dressing in a certain way, don't push yourself.

I once went to a party wearing a ******* suspender belt and knickers with bra (borrowed from a friend). It was a knickers and jocks party. I was pretty skinny at the time and very young but i felt soooo awfully self conscious and wished i was wearing something more tame. Still no one gave me a hard time or even attempted to maul me. I figure they were quite nice people there. I only knew the two friends i came with. I was glad to leave.

Its usually only boys who would give you direct negative (cruel) feedback about your dress sense but boys will say anything to anyone regardless of how they nice or not they look.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:40 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 225/223/150

Height: 5'7"

For me, as long as it fits well and you're comfortable in it, then you can wear it.
brittslosingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:16 PM   #7  

Height: 5'9"

I always think if I don't feel comfortable in it, then it probably isn't for me. I want to be confident in what I wear, because confidence is the best accessory. If I feel great in it, I strut a little and don't much care what others think. If you are comfortable, wear it with your head held high. If not, figure out why and proceed from there. I like the idea of sending a selfie to a good friend. There may be a reason why you are feeling that way. Maybe it's not the worst fashion disaster, but perhaps there's a reason for the insecurity. A little off color- wise, or perhaps it's accessorized poorly. Then again, maybe it is completely unflattering all together for your body type. I do agree that saying someone is too fat for something seems harsh, but there should be some limits with regards to occasion, age, and decency level. Call me a fashion prude I guess, but I do trend towards old lady clothes a lot of the time!
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:22 PM   #8  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

If I can't button it up.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:31 PM   #9  
One day at a time...

S/C/G: 229/ticker/129

Height: 5'4

I ask my husband or I take a picture of myself in it. I've found in general that if I have to ask it probably looks bad.
Katie816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:38 PM   #10  
LRH

S/C/G: 152/132/127

Height: 5'5"

As the others said, if you feel comfortable and confident, it's probably a good fit.
LRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:23 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 203.6 / 200.8 / 115

Height: 5'2"

I think anyone can wear a particular piece of clothing if they buy the right size (not the size you wish you were) and know how to style it. If you like miniskirts but are nervous about people staring, start off with a dark miniskirt and dark tights so you feel more covered. If you like leggings, wear them with a tunic and a nice belt. You don't have to be a size 0 to enjoy fun clothes.

Even skinny fashionistas have an off day, so if you wore something that made you uncomfortable later, try to shrug it off. And like others said, be confident. I saw a video of an overweight woman who walked up and down Sunset Blvd in a tiny bikini. She was confident even though some people made nasty comments. Her confidence and energy made her look great, regardless of her actual size.
Sasha29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:54 AM   #12  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

If you can't go on with your business without worrying about how your clothes fit or look and feel uncomfortable, you're not too fat, the clothes are just not right for you.

It's very liberating to lose the "I'm too fat for clothes" and replace it with "These clothes aren't right/These clothes are too small" or something similar.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:47 AM   #13  

In my experience, its pretty individual/subjective. If, when you read magazines, or see people in similar outfits, do you personally think that they pull off their outfits well? That could give a good indication of what current state of you can pull of what outfit.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:48 AM   #14  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

It's really not so much about body size as it is about body shape. For example, if you've got great legs you're probably gonna rock it in a short skirt (whether you're fat or thin). The question is, "Does this compliment my body?" Not "Am I too fat to wear this?"

Also, you should consider your body style and not what's trendy. The maxi-dress trend is killing me. Tall willowy girls look hot in maxi-dresses. Everyone else looks like a Weeble. Why does no one understand this?
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:13 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novus View Post

Also, you should consider your body style and not what's trendy. The maxi-dress trend is killing me. Tall willowy girls look hot in maxi-dresses. Everyone else looks like a Weeble. Why does no one understand this?
I'm 5'4", hourglass shape and I rock this trend and intend to rock no matter what anyone says. I've heard a lot of people say that nobody can pull off maxi dresses and have probably said so about me wearing them. But. I. Don't. Care. I'm short, I wear them with gladiator flats, I love how they narrow at my waist and hide my legs, are roomy and breezy, and they show off my upper decolletage which is one of my favorite parts of me. So.... nobody can rain on my parade.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote