Old 04-14-2014, 09:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 404/306/170ish

Height: 5'7"

Default Went to my first OA meeting today

I was nervous so I sat in my car for about 1/2 hour before the meeting started. All the women going in to the meeting were very very young (I am 57). They were also very thin so I guess they have different issues than I do. Got very discouraged and didn't even go into the meeting. Figured that all the girls would think i am grotesque. I have about another 60 pounds to lose.
I am very familiar with the twelve steps as I am clean and sober in NA/AA for 17 years. Guess I will have to do this using the tools from the big book but am soo disappointed.
projectjudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:02 PM   #2  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectjudi View Post
I was nervous so I sat in my car for about 1/2 hour before the meeting started. All the women going in to the meeting were very very young (I am 57). They were also very thin so I guess they have different issues than I do. Got very discouraged and didn't even go into the meeting. Figured that all the girls would think i am grotesque. I have about another 60 pounds to lose.
I am very familiar with the twelve steps as I am clean and sober in NA/AA for 17 years. Guess I will have to do this using the tools from the big book but am soo disappointed.
I went to one OA meeting many many years ago when I was much younger (I am 40 now) and found the opposite. Everyone was much older and much more overweight than me. I felt uncomfortable. Eventually I began attending Celebrate Recovery which is based on 12 steps but with a Christian emphasis and it encompasses all addiction types. I definitely think you can apply what you've learned through NA/AA to eating/food. On the other hand if you really want to attend OA specifically you should go. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks. As you know, you don't have to talk if you don't want to. I often gained perspective just from listening to others. You can find a sponsor and perhaps she will have some help for you in feeling more comfortable. Alternatively, I have heard there are phone in meetings. Best wishes!
Shannonsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: size 20/14/10

Height: 5' 7"

There are lots of online OA meetings around the clock. Maybe you could try attending one of them and see how you like it b4 going to an in-person meeting again. They also have conference call telephone meeting options.
mariposssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:11 PM   #4  

S/C/G: size 20/14/10

Height: 5' 7"

Here is a link to one of the sites for online OA

http://oa12step4coes.org/meetings.html
mariposssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:36 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 160/155/120

Height: 5'2"

thanks maripossa!
maddierep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:22 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 404/306/170ish

Height: 5'7"

thanks for the feedback. think I will try the online idea
projectjudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:11 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 200/189/140

Height: 5' 5"

Judi, let us know what you think about the online OA, will you please? I have wished for years that we had OA in my little town, or even within a decent driving distance! I absolutely know that I am addicted to certain behaviors and foods, etc. I have read books about OA, but that's it.
OK Lizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:32 PM   #8  
No where to go but up

S/C/G: 235/235/145

Height: 5.4

Judi, I hear you about facing the thin-lings but courage!! You are there for you and you are worth it. I love your tag line!
BarbieBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:26 AM   #9  
on a mission

S/C/G: 436/424/175

Height: 5'7

I Go To The Telephone Meetings Only Love Them
BrandyEyecandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:41 AM   #10  

I havent gone to a face to face yet, some of the telephone meetings are good, you can check out on oa.org

keep in mind that some of the thin people you see have recovered/are in recovery and lost weight.
davina is offline   Reply With Quote