Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-13-2014, 01:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 229/172/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Womens' topic - my weight loss always happens only at TOM!

It is weird - all the time I keep working out, for the past 2 1/2 months, I noticed that my weight 'never' reduces at normal times, and as if an accumulated effect, the weight goes down suddenly at TOM by as much as 5 - 7 lbs! And then again, I have to wait till next TOM for the next set of weight loss although I work out consistently during the inbetween weeks. What could be the reason for this? Anybody think of any reason?
BigNomore71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:42 PM   #2  
Level 5 Vegan

S/C/G: 289/171/140

Height: 5'4"

I don't know, but I noticed the same thing, so if somebody knows, it would be awesome to find out what's up!

Actually, this past month, I went back to WW from CC and I've been losing pretty steadily every week, so I wonder if I won't get my period-whooshes or what this month.
PUPMOM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

This topic has come up before, and while most women posting notice a cycle-based pattern, there seem to be a variety of common, and not-so common atterns.

Some research indicates that metabolism imcreases during tom (but for many women, so do cravings, hunger, and water retention).

I tend to gain 5-7 lbs of water weight a few days before and a few days into tom. If I don't give in to pms/tom hunger and cravings, I will lose really well the week after tom, and fairly well the week after. During pms/hunger (7-10 days), my hunger goes haywire. I feel half-starved no matter how much or how little I eat, even when eating low-carb (which normally curbs my hunger fairly well). Low-carb helps some during the hunger phase of my cycle, but not as much as during other phases of my cycle.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:24 PM   #4  

Height: 5'6"

It is a weird phenomenon. I lose consistently through the month, but I'll lose 4 pounds in a matter of days during TOM.

I personally think (for me) it's due to an increase metabolism combined with the absence of other period symptoms. I don't bloat, nor do I have an increase in hunger/cravings.
grinchygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:26 AM   #5  

Same here ladies! For years and years...

My hunger is out of control the week or so before TOM, then after it gets here, I see a small loss, then within days after its gone I lose anywhere from 5-7 pounds. Its frustrating because if I didn't eat so much/horribly the week before TOM I'll see a really big loss... but most of the time, basically all the time, I pretty much binge the whole week prior, sometimes even 2 weeks. Sometimes I PMS from ovulation until TOM. And like kaplods said, it really doesn't matter what diet I follow, I do low carb as well to control cravings, and it helps the rest of the month, but TOM it barely puts a dent in my eating/cravings. I find "ways around it" and will over at other foods, though I do prefer carbs and sweets.

I wish there was a way to stop it though. I know it slows my weight loss and as I get to lower weights it basically stops it. At heavier weights, I seem to be able to handle the extra calories without too much effect, but I remember last time getting into the 150s and even 140s, those 5-7 days of over eating really set me back, and I'd spend the rest of the month losing the pound or two I'd gain at TOM.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:30 AM   #6  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

I've never thought of it being about metabolism but just water retention. I always notice increases in weight in the week leading up to TOM or maybe more and then i get the whoosh thing.

Anyway its all good if your weight keeps going down month after month isn't it.

Just got this from herehttp://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b...luid_retention which is a government health website.
Quote:
Fluid retention (oedema) occurs when fluid isn't removed from the body tissues, including the skin. Causes include the body's reaction to hot weather, a high salt intake, and the hormones associated with the menstrual cycle. Symptoms include swelling of body parts such as feet, hands and ankles, a feeling of stiffness or aching and weight fluctuations. Drinking plenty of water will actually help your kidneys to flush out excess fluid. Fluid retention may be a sign of disease.

and this which suggests that metabolism slows not speeds up during menustration so then its got to be all about water retention in the end. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7124662
Quote:
Basal metabolic rate, resting metabolic rate (RMR), and energy cost of selected activities were measured in six healthy young women who were participating in a study of protein requirements. The women were confined to a metabolic unit for 92 days during which they consumed a defined formula diet. The basal metabolic rate of the women was 20.7 +/- 2.6 kcal/kg body weight/day and the caloric requirement for maintenance of weight was 38.7 kcal/kg body weight/day. Basal metabolic rate varied significantly with the menstrual cycle. Basal metabolic rate decreased at menstruation and fell to its lowest point approximately 1 wk before ovulation subsequently rising until the beginning of the next menstrual period. RMR was 0.99 +/- 0.16 kcal/kg/h. The energy expenditure while sitting was 1.06 times RMR, while walking it was 2.81 times RMR, and while performing treadmill exercise it was 3.47 times RMR.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote