Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 07:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Default what makes the IP forum different from other diet forums?

From time to time the philosophy of this forum gets a revisiting that banters about and even beats up the benefits of the kind of support which is available on this forum and what each member and poster hopes to get from the format.

Support. That is what we are all about and why we find ourselves here. Some new-comers want information only. Some need on going heavy duty support. Some want a lot of support initially and then take off running, others are more about sharing their journey, and are excited to find a community where that can happen. All great reasons to participate, and after almost 18 months on here I feel I know a lot of really wonderful, smart, strong, insightful and dedicated people. Some long-haulers like myself, feel the need to offer help because that is who they are...others feel the obligation to "pay it forward" or there is the need now to connect regularly with the friends made along one's own journey.

But the big deal and what makes a unique place here on 3FCs is we are not so much about what happens when one gives into cravings and crashes....then has to restart.

For sure there are reboot and the 90% threads where most of those convos are directed. Any other diet forum entertains those goings-on intermixed with every other topic and convo. Keeping that separate on the IP forum has allowed us to create striving for the 100% culture that is needed and not available ANYWHERE else. All other diets allow for cheats...they can be adjusted and hijacked to fix a stray quickly. Those diets did not work for a large number of people on IP. The forums where support is given for needing to allow for weekend transgressions, planned weekends, holidays birthdays or anniversaries are in abundance...they are the norm. Regularly people fall off the wagon and it's acceptable to do it, talk openly about it, and get back on. Cravings are part of any diet. IP for the most part reduces the physical craving but the psychological/emotional and social pieces of eating are still battles that need to be conquered. With the physical piece being addressed nicely for most after a few days/weeks...the opportunity to get the other pieces together for a successful maintenance and life ever after are the bonus for those who recognize and are looking for the tools to get prepared for that golden part of happily ever after. Over and over we see reference to " My Last Diet".

For this reason, it is important to keep most of the threads on the IP forum clean. There is the reboot where we can talk about the difficulties in staying in line and not drifting far from goal and what our own maintenance SHOULD look like. Which unlike P1-2, maintenance is not going to be the same for everyone. There is the 90% place where those who are OK with going a little slower or feel the need to confess how they are doing this with less than staying on plan. They might help someone who wants to know how many days and how much off plan before there is a noticeable shift in gain or ability to get back on track. This is real support need as well, but honestly...these needs can be addressed on any diet forum. That piece is part of any other diet and therefore is openly expected, addressed and a guilt free gimme zone.

From time to time with new participants this difference comes up, and the creation of places for these other postings questions and support is available. Perhaps we need to incorporate why this philosophy needs to be respected somewhere in the stickies. It is not the intent of anyone here to judge or ban anyone else. However; the need for the clean support on IP is critical. It is not something that can be found anywhere else on 3 FCs or the internet. It is worth preserving. We have people who have lost a significant amount of weight AND maintained the loss and there is one common denominator in the ones who can claim both of these accomplishments. That is lifestyle changes made easier by taking advantage of the emotional support that can drive a new life because the physical element of IP (ketogenesis) allows the reshaping of the mindset for that" happily ever-after" we all say we want.

Kudos to those who recognize and strive to preserve this. It is very special.

kathie

Last edited by 65X65; 04-12-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:55 AM   #2  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Nothing to add to your great post 65 - just a great big for you!
Old 04-12-2014, 08:09 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Well said 65... THANK YOU!!
Old 04-12-2014, 09:48 AM   #4  
AmberLS

S/C/G: High 298, IP-250/182/165

Height: 5ft 5in

I have gotten amazing support from this group and I totally get what you're saying! In my own house my boyfriend claims that no diet works without cheat days so he doesn't quite get it. I'm two months OP tomorrow and I may not be able to say that if it wasn't from the stern support from the 100% OPers!
Old 04-12-2014, 10:07 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberLS View Post
I have gotten amazing support from this group and I totally get what you're saying! In my own house my boyfriend claims that no diet works without cheat days so he doesn't quite get it. I'm two months OP tomorrow and I may not be able to say that if it wasn't from the stern support from the 100% OPers!
Thanks Amber...This is the place for people who HAVE had "The talk" with themselves. We are not offended then when another member reminds us... If one has NOT had the talk with one's self...the tendency to become offended at the attitude here can be a bit of a surprise.

No offense intended...but no apologies for the culture here either.

Last edited by 65X65; 04-12-2014 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:10 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 206/160.1/140

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65X65 View Post
Thanks Amber...This is the place for people who HAVE had "The talk" with themselves. We are not offended then when another member reminds us... If one has NOT had the talk with one's self...the tendency to become offended at the attitude here can be a bit of a surprise.

No offense intended...but no apologies for the culture here either.
65x65: I completely agree with everything you said.

I have gotten tremendous support from this forum and I am very grateful for the knowledge and encouragement I have gotten from long haulers as well as newbies like myself. I think that when you decide to make this the last diet, as well as incur the expense, it makes no sense to cheat yourself. That is how I view it. I have been completely OP since starting 6 weeks ago. I even gave away my craft beer stash! That was major. My health and long term goals are what I am focusing on right now. I think you have to reach a point where you say to yourself, "I'm worth it".
Old 04-12-2014, 11:35 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlady1981 View Post
65x65: I completely agree with everything you said.

I have gotten tremendous support from this forum and I am very grateful for the knowledge and encouragement I have gotten from long haulers as well as newbies like myself. I think that when you decide to make this the last diet, as well as incur the expense, it makes no sense to cheat yourself. That is how I view it. I have been completely OP since starting 6 weeks ago. I even gave away my craft beer stash! That was major. My health and long term goals are what I am focusing on right now. I think you have to reach a point where you say to yourself, "I'm worth it".
Absolutely. The other significant difference I wish to point out..is the difference between and unplanned slip and a planned cheat. These are two entirely different psychological events. They have nothing in common.

A slip----Very human. And we all strive to be better in everything we do...all the time. Sometimes a momentary weakness occurs. Sometimes well intentioned eating away from our own control results in getting something we would not have chosen. We find out the meat was "brinned" in a sugar solution ... after the fact. The Veggies were tossed in melted butter. Someone who slips...generally punishes themselves mentally way beyond anything anyone else could say or do.

Planned cheats by someone on the other hand, should incur no remorse. And an adult who chooses this plan of action should not feel they need to explain. This is CERTAINLY not sinning..but it is an intentional digression from the plan. The bottom sentence on the paper work given to me by my IP office was capitalized:

"NO CHEATING FOR THIS TO WORK...HAVE A GREAT WEEK!"

Staying on plan becomes a week by week effort. In truth day by day. For many and esp at the beginning it is hour by hour. Finding support to do that is MUCH harder and less abundant than being loosey goosey with this or any diet. If it was so easy to do there would be no need to find like minded strangers and souls somewhere to help followers manage and encourage strict adherence.

Me thinks some do protest too much.Too often.

Last edited by 65X65; 04-12-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:56 AM   #8  
Started IP 2/13/13

S/C/G: 248/123/123

Height: 5'2"

I can say that the reason this plan has worked for me has been the 100% OP requirement. As was described on another thread, I am clearly an "abstainer." I can go without anything. The stricter, the better. When I allow myself too much leeway and things are blurry, I am in trouble.

I went a couple of months without coming back to this forum, mainly due to being busy and partly because I wanted to see what I had within myself to keep myself going rather than relying too heavily on this forum to keep me motivated and focused. I found that I could do it on my own. I did not NEED this forum to keep me OP. That said, I wanted to come back because I am forever grateful to those who helped me get "over the hump" when I first started and felt the need to contribute to that community and "pay it forward" as you have aptly described.

Upon returning a few weeks back, I did noticed a markedly more relaxed atmosphere as far as doing this plan and being "OP." A few times, I thought that a new Phase 1 protocol must have been issued because things being shared were clearly not OP as I knew it. When I found that it hadn't been, I was a bit confused. That's why I spoke up yesterday regarding the idea of a Wendy's chili salad for a meal replacement. I now see that it was one of my pals, Liana who said it and that she meant it in regard to later phases and maintenance. In context, that whole thing makes more sense now, and I hope I did not offend her by saying what I said. I think she understands that P1 is a whole 'nuther ballgame and, at least imo, the stricter you follow it, the better.

I guess I'm just rambling here, but wanted to lend my support to the idea that IP and this forum are different. Strict adherence is really the only way to go and it IS the dominant culture of this forum. Here-here.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:04 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviesGirl View Post
I can say that the reason this plan has worked for me has been the 100% OP requirement. As was described on another thread, I am clearly an "abstainer." I can go without anything. The stricter, the better. When I allow myself too much leeway and things are blurry, I am in trouble.

I went a couple of months without coming back to this forum, mainly due to being busy and partly because I wanted to see what I had within myself to keep myself going rather than relying too heavily on this forum to keep me motivated and focused. I found that I could do it on my own. I did not NEED this forum to keep me OP. That said, I wanted to come back because I am forever grateful to those who helped me get "over the hump" when I first started and felt the need to contribute to that community and "pay it forward" as you have aptly described.

Upon returning a few weeks back, I did noticed a markedly more relaxed atmosphere as far as doing this plan and being "OP." A few times, I thought that a new Phase 1 protocol must have been issued because things being shared were clearly not OP as I knew it. When I found that it hadn't been, I was a bit confused. That's why I spoke up yesterday regarding the idea of a Wendy's chili salad for a meal replacement. I now see that it was one of my pals, Liana who said it and that she meant it in regard to later phases and maintenance. In context, that whole thing makes more sense now, and I hope I did not offend her by saying what I said. I think she understands that P1 is a whole 'nuther ballgame and, at least imo, the stricter you follow it, the better.

I guess I'm just rambling here, but wanted to lend my support to the idea that IP and this forum are different. Strict adherence is really the only way to go and it IS the dominant culture of this forum. Here-here.
When the water gets muddy no one can tell how deep the pond is.

Last edited by 65X65; 04-12-2014 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:14 PM   #10  
Started IP 04/22/2013

Yep SylviesGirl - you got it exactly, I will be forever grateful to the people here when I first started out who showed me that staying 100% OP was the way to make this work - to get the "most bang for my buck" so to speak.

I didn't always want to hear it and did my share of pouting about being "deprived" but once my mindset changed to "I can do this" it opened up a whole new world for me. Instead of worrying about what I couldn't have, I found a bunch of delicious food I could have. I learned new ways to cook, found new veggies, came up with creative ways to work through the hungries - all with the great support and advice here.

All we can do is offer what worked for us, help keep others on track when they are tempted to go off plan or have unintentionally gone off plan and keep sharing the knowledge. Whether someone uses the information or does whatever the heck they want is up to them. I really don't care which way they go - I do care that they have all the information and hopefully make decisions after weighing all that information and deciding what is the best course for them.

This is a great board with a lot of wonderful people who are willing to share their time and experiences to try to help other or celebrate the successes. That, in my opinion, is the most important aspect and makes this a great resource.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:18 PM   #11  
Started IP 04/22/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by schenectady View Post
Oh, how well you have stated this, 65X65, and I could not agree more.

I am so appreciative of the difference in working on IP with the goal of 100% OP. I know that does mean we are all actually 100% for all sorts of reasons, part of that for people like me is the struggle to deal with stress and emotions.

But I do work on the principle of being 100% every day. I do not plan cheats, instead, I plan to work around whatever might bring me into contact with a potential cheat. That is a skill I need to master for all the years for the rest of my life.

In order to succeed (I am not at goal yet but at almost -100 pounds, I am getting there!) I must plan and calculate how I am going to handle special occasions, big birthdays, family gatherings, office parties, travel, etc so that I do not throw my body or my mind into a tizzy.

This is not an abstract thing on my part; those who have been here since I started in August know that I have fallen several times and it can be a very hard and lengthy time getting back up. If I knew how to successfully deal with my emotions and the curves which life throws, I would not have weighed close to 300 pounds. So I do know how this works - it works when every fiber of my being goes for the goal of being intensely and reflectively 100% OP.
You know we're all proud of you schenectady for the truly hard work you put into staying OP and your honesty and reflectiveness if you do stumble. You'll get there, you are a strong woman! Besides, it's probably too late to return all those adorable clothes you bought!
Old 04-12-2014, 03:30 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by schenectady View Post
Oh, how well you have stated this, 65X65, and I could not agree more.

I am so appreciative of the difference in working on IP with the goal of 100% OP. I know that does mean we are all actually 100% for all sorts of reasons, part of that for people like me is the struggle to deal with stress and emotions.

But I do work on the principle of being 100% every day. I do not plan cheats, instead, I plan to work around whatever might bring me into contact with a potential cheat. That is a skill I need to master for all the years for the rest of my life.

In order to succeed (I am not at goal yet but at almost -100 pounds, I am getting there!) I must plan and calculate how I am going to handle special occasions, big birthdays, family gatherings, office parties, travel, etc so that I do not throw my body or my mind into a tizzy.

This is not an abstract thing on my part; those who have been here since I started in August know that I have fallen several times and it can be a very hard and lengthy time getting back up. If I knew how to successfully deal with my emotions and the curves which life throws, I would not have weighed close to 300 pounds. So I do know how this works - it works when every fiber of my being goes for the goal of being intensely and reflectively 100% OP.
Scenectady...you know how much I value your opinion and experience. Many of us have stated, this forum and the diet..in that order... are about what is in your head...then what goes in your mouth.

Thanks so many of you for your PMs today...WOW!!! I had no idea so many were feeling the same frustration...so am glad I spoke up. Figured it was my turn to get dragged through the mud again in the name of what the needs are for so many. No one ever said "I wish I hadn't tried so hard when reaching an accomplishment"...and having others celebrate success with with you is sweeter when you know how hard you worked, and are happy.

Myself, I miss the fact we see less frequent posts about the NSVs ...and how members planned or were succesful in navigating a holiday or social situation that was challenging.

Drawing strength from each other was what endeared this forum to me early in my journey. Honestly I would not have been able to survive this diet during my mother's illness and passing and my father's surgeries (dealing with it all long distance and the travel) during the year I was trying to lose with out the strong ladies from here ..(and men too...where did they go???) . Some had been on IP for a while...I hope they are having a wonderful life and drop in again to share and encourage. Those members were MY slavation...example and encouragement. They challenged me with out realizing it...that if they could do it...so could I. When I began IP...I think I did not fully grasp the commitment and changes that would need to take place in my life. The daily chat and other threads showed me the real truth to what I needed to sign up for. Forever grateful for that...and that is what really needs to paid forward.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:25 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 190/137.5/140

Height: 5-4

65, thanks for this message. You are always kind and full of good information. I almost think that this thread could be sub-titled, why IP is different than other diets. For example, I successfully lost weight on weight watchers years ago. I could have the treats and such, but I do not feel it taught me real healthy, clean(sorry but there simply are foods that are toxic to our bodies) eating, and in the end, it became easier and easier to stray on maintenance. I know others who do quite well on WW and it is a good diet for them. IP is very restrictive, but it really has made me think about what I put in my mouth and how it affects my whole body. Dealing with severe arthritis is not easy and my body is very temperamental. I am in pain all the time, and so I need to make sure that at least what I am eating will make me feel the best that it can. It is the MAIN reason I choice IP, the anti-inflammatory components are necessary. I know people do IP and don't do it 100%, but for me, I don't understand why. I would just do something less expensive like WW and maybe reduce carbs on that diet, not cheat on IP. It makes no financial sense to me and it makes no sense to reduce the effectiveness the foods on this diet have on the body. But that is me.

Again, thanks and have a great weekend!
Old 04-12-2014, 04:43 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 185.2/180.4/145

Height: 5'5

No matter what diet we choose, everyone is on their own journey and that's why it's great there are diverse threads on this site. People are human and make mistakes. No one on this site deserves to judge or feel superior to others because of the way someone chooses to do IP. Doing alternative products is not technically doing IP, but do those people deserve to be judged? Those products are not on the IP protocol and for some can probably slow weight loss probably as much as an occasional cheat.

We're all adults here and I think the attempts to control the content of these boards needs to stop. I think it's great that there are threads for 100%'ers, 90%'ers, people who started IP in a certain month, etc. We're all different people at different ages, different family structures, and different issues with food, etc. I say that we respect each others' differences and not be so quick to judge or to try to control what is posted on the threads. Some things posted on the boards make me uncomfortable or annoyed, but guess what, I move on to a different thread when that happens. Let's be mature, respectful adults and if you don't agree with a certain thread, just stick to the ones you DO agree with.

I also don't understand what was meant by "cleaning up" the boards. What exactly does that mean? Kicking out the "riff raff" who occasionally cheat and aren't ashamed of it?!

Last edited by KookySuki; 04-12-2014 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:46 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by drd1961 View Post
65, thanks for this message. You are always kind and full of good information. I almost think that this thread could be sub-titled, why IP is different than other diets. For example, I successfully lost weight on weight watchers years ago. I could have the treats and such, but I do not feel it taught me real healthy, clean(sorry but there simply are foods that are toxic to our bodies) eating, and in the end, it became easier and easier to stray on maintenance. I know others who do quite well on WW and it is a good diet for them. IP is very restrictive, but it really has made me think about what I put in my mouth and how it affects my whole body. Dealing with severe arthritis is not easy and my body is very temperamental. I am in pain all the time, and so I need to make sure that at least what I am eating will make me feel the best that it can. It is the MAIN reason I choice IP, the anti-inflammatory components are necessary. I know people do IP and don't do it 100%, but for me, I don't understand why. I would just do something less expensive like WW and maybe reduce carbs on that diet, not cheat on IP. It makes no financial sense to me and it makes no sense to reduce the effectiveness the foods on this diet have on the body. But that is me.

Again, thanks and have a great weekend!

I had someone near and dear (who needs to lose at least 100 lbs) to me say those exact words..."very restrictive"

My response was a gut reaction ..

......"this diet is not nearly as restrictive as being overweight ...
Closed Thread