Old 04-12-2014, 10:32 AM   #1  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Default Articles on sugar in mainstream press

I am glad to see more articles on the effects of sugar in the mainstream press. This morning I saw the following article on Yahoo. It is not heavy on details or science but is a testimonial. I think that this type of article will get more people's attention than the ones heavy on science and can do a great deal to influence people.

https://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-livi...202700552.html
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:43 AM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2lose View Post
I am glad to see more articles on the effects of sugar in the mainstream press. This morning I saw the following article on Yahoo. It is not heavy on details or science but is a testimonial. I think that this type of article will get more people's attention than the ones heavy on science and can do a great deal to influence people.

https://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-livi...202700552.html
Thank you for sharing that article I agree the effects of sugar need to be in the mainstream press and will hopefully get people to thinking. Sugar is a killer and as the article stated, it is added to foods you'd never dream of.

That being said, I read a post on another low carb forum just this morning that was quite disturbing regarding sugar. The poster stated she is on Atkins and does not eat sugar. She & her family went out for dinner at Outback Steakhouse. She ordered steak & green beans. Atkins friendly....or was it? When she tasted the green beans, they tasted sweet. Green beans don't taste sweet...or at least they aren't supposed to taste sweet. She asked the server about them and was told there is "seasoning" on them which is basically just salt & pepper. Hmmm....salt & pepper isn't sweet She then asked to see the manager. The manager confirmed they use a "vegetable butter" which contains various seasonings including " a little brown SUGAR". When you order a vegetable, you expect to receive a vegetable, not a vegetable with added sugar If you are trying to avoid sugar and you are out at a restaurant, you obviously can't assume anything is safe. How very sad

Even more disturbing is something my DBF told me recently. He was diagnosed with cancer in February and is receiving chemo. While at the hospital to get his treatment he noticed they had bowls of candy & individual package of cookies for patients!!! From all the research I have done, sugar feeds cancer! How sad is it that this is what they are making available to cancer patients on chemo!! Even worse, he saw someone getting a chemo injection while sucking on a lolipop

Lets hope articles like this one will become more prevailant and people will get a clue!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:54 PM   #3  
diamondgeog

The history of sugar is fascinating. Added sugar was in I think a few island places like Papua New Guinea for most of human history.

In America in 1820 the average consumption was the sugar in one 12 ounce soda every five days. All dishes over five days. Now it is every 7 hours. Then who knows what artificial sweetners do?

And how is that helping? Instead of getting to the root of your problem you try to shift it to another sweetner.

Sugar is quite obviously killing us. And what happened when fat became an enemy? Yep they had to add more and more sugar because things tasted awful without the fat.

Sorry about your DBF. I hope he gets better. I wouldn't put all my eggs in this basket but I've heard ketogenic diets can have great help to fighting cancer.

I was doing a 5K run and went to an American Diabetes Association booth. One of the reps pulls out a bagel. I say probably not the best idea at a diabetes booth. She says she has type 2. She starts telling me her doctor said she would die without bagels. She needed them. No I am not making this up.

So how do things get better? You get diabetes, you're scared. You go to ADA for help. They tell you to eat bagels. I guess we have to keep sharing on social media.

Last edited by diamondgeog; 04-12-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:09 AM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgeog View Post
Sorry about your DBF. I hope he gets better. I wouldn't put all my eggs in this basket but I've heard ketogenic diets can have great help to fighting cancer.
Thank you DG.

Since the diagnosis he has done a complete 180. There is so much contraversary about diets for cancer. Sadly, most oncologists don't put much emphasis on it (hence the candy & cookies where folks are receiving chemo ). He was basically told to eat "healthy". Unfortunately, one person's definition of "healthy" isn't going to be the same as another's. I worked with a woman who ate french fries & ketchup several times a week. Her philosophy was...french fries are potato and ketchup is tomato...therefore, "healthy".
This diagnosis has been a real eye opener for the both of us. That being said, nothing just happens, everything happens for a reason. We are doing our own research and remaining positive.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote