Old 04-07-2014, 02:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 217.5/211/154.5

Height: 5'4"

Post Seeking Support for Reduced-Carb Plan, i.e. 17 Day Diet

On Cycle 1, Day 11 of 17-Day Diet. Am new member. Would love support.
its2much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:36 AM   #2  

Hi. I am thrilled to find this 3FatChicks website! I just joined - an unusual step for me. I got a lot out of reading in various forums over the last few days--so jumping in and joining in feels right! Factors coalesced recently and I decided I will do what I need to lose my excess weight (I have not consciously "dieted" or tried to lose weight in over 5 years--for various reasons). So I pulled out the 17 Day Diet book (the original one, not the newer Breakthrough edition) I had bought last year. I like the healthy foods (vegetables, lean protein, yogurt, etc.) and the simplicity. A male friend is doing it with me, he makes occasional alterations for himself, while I am doing it in its "pure" form from the book. Anyhow, I am currently on Cycle 1, Day 11; and I have lost 6.5 pounds. I am a little disappointed because I had hoped to lose more, but keeping my chin up. Good news is I am rarely hungry, and never feel bloated. I am having success but am open to changing diets/eating plans if it stops working for me - after Cycle 1 or 2. (Note: I don't like the work diet; I prefer eating plan.) I say that because I am reading of people making their own hybrid programs that are more effective for themselves, after they've been on one plan awhile. I am having constipation problems and am playing with what will eliminate them (pun intended).
Any support is appreciated!
Old 04-07-2014, 07:00 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I don't know how many people follow this specific diet, but there are plenty of low carbers around. I am lowish carb myself, but I'm on a roll-my-own plan. I just wanted to suggest you not get disappointed if you don't find others doing this diet. You can always join in some more generic low carb thread or start one yourself.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I would also suggest that you try to set your expectations lower for the speed at which you lose weight. You've lost 6.5 lbs in 11 days, which is a *lot* but that isn't unusual for starting a low carb diet because low carb diets deplete glycogen and glycogen is stored with water, so people often see a big drop in weight the first few weeks on a low carb diet as the water is released.

But in the longer term, a lot of people aim to lose 1 or 2 lb a week, even on low carb diets. That's on average... most people face weeks that they go up in weight despite remaining on plan. It can seem daunting and disappointing to think that the weight might come off that slowly, but think about where you will be a year from now. A year from now, won't you be glad that you were losing weight this year, even if you only lose 1 or 2 pounds a week?

Good luck. Like I said, there are plenty of folks enthusiastic about low carb dieting around here. It works well for a lot of people. I hope you find the support you are looking for!

Last edited by yoyoma; 04-07-2014 at 07:02 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:17 PM   #4  

Thanks, Yoyoma! Yes-- I'm sure in a year I'll be happy I'm losing, even if it isn't large weekly amounts. I'm doing this particular plan, however, to get the reinforcement of losing a good amount the first 17 days. So I feel on track with that. I will continue with this forum even if not many people are on the program I'm on--appreciate the encouragement from you. I have a question---do all of the low carb programs cause constipation? I am really struggling with this ; even though I am taking sodium docusate (Colace), Metamucil, & drinking my water/walking. I may have to get Miralax, which I did not want to do.