General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-01-2014, 11:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW242/CW207/GW150

Height: 5'3

Unhappy Too scared to weigh myself...

I began my weightloss journey yesterday and have been eating a lot better and have been going to the gym and I am motivated to really do well this time. I want to track my weightloss to see the improvements but I am scared to weigh myself because I know I will be ashamed of the number I see...
tinamariefitforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:23 AM   #2  
Cat Cuddler

S/C/G: 287/266/150

Height: 5'5"

I am exactly the same way. It was so very hard for me to face and it still is because I have always been so ashamed of my weight. I can't even believe that I posted my weight here. I am guessing that a lot of people feel this way.

The most accurate way that I can track my progress is to know my weight every week. Believe me, whenever I see it go down, it is a huge victory for me. Also, knowing your weight will help you to monitor your health to see if there might be any underlying issues to address (like thyroid).

I think that the effort you have been making is great and when you know the real results, it can keep you motivated.

I am sending you big hugs and wishing you all of the best on your journey!

Last edited by doingmybest; 04-02-2014 at 01:51 AM.
doingmybest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:08 AM   #3  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

There are plenty of ways to track your progress besides the scale. Take measurements, use the "pants-o-meter" to check fit, track how fast you recover from your exercise ... it isn't mandatory to use a scale to be successful. Or, if you're lazy with math, set it for less-familiar units like kilograms! Weight is just a number and merely one facet of an overall program.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:38 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I'm all for not weighing yourself for many reasons. But FEAR is not one of them. Don't do that to yourself, you deserve better than to bury your head in the sand. Especially now that you're being kind to yourself and working out and taking care of yourself.... you're gonna wanna know how much you lost! You don't have to weigh yourself all the time or everyday or every month or even ever again.

I just think that self acceptance is the first step to any kind of happiness at all. Imagine that your sister/best friend/someone you love was too scared to weigh themselves. What would you tell them? Would you tell them that if they way more than xyz that you wouldn't love them anymore? Of course not. Before you get on that scale make peace with yourself, no matter what that number is just know that it's temporary. It can be a different number as fast as tomorrow. It's just a starting point and nothing more than that.

More than anything though, let's say you lose a bunch of weight, won't you be curious what your heighest was? I would.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:53 AM   #5  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I didn't weigh myself for months and months while I was on this climb up. It was part of my denial of the problem - not facing the music. Yet, I also kind of knew.

I had to go to the doctor's office 2 days ago. I knew they would weight me. And I was not looking forward to it, but it did help to know the number (and it did correlate with where I thought it would be).

I here people say that they don't want to know, but once they get rolling, many of them regret it. They also regret not taking measurements or taking photos. Why? Because weight loss is not linear. You may have weeks where the scale doesn't move, but you lose inches or drop a pants size. THAT shows progress even though the scale hasn't shown it yet. And this is because the scale is just one of the tools to show getting healthier. But it's an important tool.

What will happen, ask yourself, if you get on the scale 2 months from now and you are shocked at the number - of it being so high... Will you think, "man, I must have weighed a ton!" Or, "am I even losing weight? How can I still be this heavy?" Especially at higher weights, it can take 20-30 pounds (or more) to lose a pant size, but only 10 at lower weights, so I could have lost 25 pounds, but still wear the same pant size. Couldn't that be frustrating and maybe lead me to thinking I'm not losing? But losing 25 pounds in two months is great! But I wouldn't know I lost the 25 pounds and might get discouraged by thinking I only lost 5 or 10.

And as said above, not weighing out of fear is usually a bad choice. Avoidance is rarely good.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:32 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 257/ticker/154

Height: 5'5.5"

Knowing the number or not knowing the number doesn't change what it is. Knowing the number gives you a reference point. Fearing the number keeps your thoughts on the negative. Even if you don't share it here right now, someday you might want to in order to show how far you've come.
fadedbluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #7  
me

S/C/G: 299/135/fit

I had a quantum scale. It basically tells you weight loss instead of weight. for example, when you first weigh in, it tells you 0. the next day if you lost .5, it will say -.5 and keep adding if you lost (or gained). I also feared that number. I didn't actually weigh myself on a real scale until my quantum scale said -29.0. When I weighed myself on the real scale I was 270 (meaning I was 299 when I started). I know a lot of people said just do it, but I can definitely understand where your fear comes from as I had the same reasons. Even if you don't have the kind of scale I did, you can also just take pictures or measurements for now. You need a starting point. Good luck.
kisskiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:43 AM   #8  

You don't have to if you dread it. I mean, sure there might be some regret when you reach goal, and you want to see the before, but thats in the future. As long as you do whatever you need to do to get to where you want to be (which for me, when I didn't weigh myself, I already knew from the mirror/way that clothes fit) just delay the weighing until you incorporate good habits. That way you'll feel more confident knowing that no matter how much you actually weigh, you already got an established routine cause your clothes might be a lil looser, or you a feel a lil more active or you are just clearly seeing that you are eating fewer cals and/or moving more. Besides some slight regret (and not really, when I think about it because I was never really sure if I would ever get to goal) delaying the weighing was not a hindrance for me.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:09 PM   #9  
I can do it!

S/C/G: 272/260/150

Height: 5'7 Age: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinamariefitforme View Post
I began my weightloss journey yesterday and have been eating a lot better and have been going to the gym and I am motivated to really do well this time. I want to track my weightloss to see the improvements but I am scared to weigh myself because I know I will be ashamed of the number I see...
Don't let that number have power over you. Honestly, I think it's better to measure yourself! You're doing a really good job and as long as you continue your efforts, there is nothing to be ashamed of. I have felt exactly this same way, so I am measuring myself instead. But eventually I'm going to have to look at that number!
Bunnydream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:22 AM   #10  

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'4"

I weigh myself every other day pretty much, but I keep that number to myself and don't share it IRL. Years ago, I was so much more afraid of the scale, but now I just know I have to just get over the fear and do it because it keeps me honest.

Besides, if you have been watching yourself and exercising, isn't there a good chance you have lost weight rather than gained?
BettyBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:26 PM   #11  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

When I finally faced the music myself, my high weight was just a guestimate since the scale only measured up to 350! But that gave me a starting point and helped me work on my first set of goals.

Remember that it's just a number. You can choose to use that information as a starting point and to help gauge your progress, or you can choose to let it define you. Don't give it that power!
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 185/185/125

Height: 5'3”

I understand how you feel. I was like that when I started my weight loss journey few years ago. Best thing you can do is be brave and make that step onto the scale. I hated what I saw but it gave me the reality I needed to start my journey. And then I found it helped me in the long run. Every time I jumped onto the scale and saw I was making progress it encouraged me. First 1lb, then 5, then 10, now almost 40lbs and I still find it encouraging knowing exactly how much I have lost. So the first day or even first few may feel defeating but keep your head up and keep going for your weight loss goal. When you start seeing the number on the scale drop and knowing how far you've come it'll help keep you going.
dragonstar85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:08 PM   #13  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisskiss View Post
I had a quantum scale. It basically tells you weight loss instead of weight. for example, when you first weigh in, it tells you 0. the next day if you lost .5, it will say -.5 and keep adding if you lost (or gained). I also feared that number. I didn't actually weigh myself on a real scale until my quantum scale said -29.0. When I weighed myself on the real scale I was 270 (meaning I was 299 when I started). I know a lot of people said just do it, but I can definitely understand where your fear comes from as I had the same reasons. Even if you don't have the kind of scale I did, you can also just take pictures or measurements for now. You need a starting point. Good luck.
That is an awesome scale!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote