Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 07:46 AM   #1  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Default April Chat

Welcome to the Diabetes monthly chat ...
Old 04-01-2014, 07:50 AM   #2  
~Rennie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattygirl63 View Post
I've put an egg salad back on my list if I need it. However, I really need to eat it if I can so I can eat at least 1200 calories. I make my plan and then I tweat it throughout the day to adjust solium, calories and now carbs and fiber. So it is different from original plan, but it is better because sodium is lower.

I read that you shouldn't exercise right after a meal. I got half way through my exercise and indigestion hit me really hard so I guess I will have to start waiting 2 hrs after eating to exercise.

This is all a learning experience and learning to listen to the signals my body sends me. I'm not hungry, but I have to say I reeaaalllyy want my usual carbs right now. However, I do know that you have to do the AI for a good 3 days before the cravings go away. By day 4, I should be rid of those cravings. So I probably will make myself eat the egg salad later this evening.

I'll catch y'all tomorrow.
Trish sorry you didn't feel well while exercising I have to eat before I exercise or I feel nauseous and light headed. It also makes me feel like I am burning all that ate so added incentive
Old 04-01-2014, 09:20 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Rennie - Oh how heartbreaking it would be to have to buy all new clothes! LOL Wait til your daughter is in her teens...she will see how much fun clothes shopping can be!

I have settled in with the new med. With my eating plan, which is between 1000-1200 calories per day, my numbers are forming a pattern. They are still too high (fbs 142) but way lower than the 200s I'd been having. I think weight loss will bring it down lower and eventually I can stop taking it. That is my plan. I exercised gently yesterday for 25 min and did not experience a dangerous drop. I exercise about an hour after I eat. Long enough not to get indigestion, but short enough that my BS is rising from my meal, to avoid a low.

Shannon - You are getting the hang of it. Luckily you are Prediabetic and small changes will really help in the long run. We want to continue to get this type of good news from you! I wish I had been given the opportunity to do this before I became full blown diatetic.

Trish - According to Fitday, I am consuming about 30 gm carb per day. It's actually hidden carb because I am still not eating any bread, pasta, rice, potatoes or sweets. Except the night before last I ate lasagne. It was planned. My husband wanted it for dinner and I wanted to see how this new med would react with a carby meal. But I was able to go right back to low carb and not binge. I have not lost anymore weight after that 6 lb drop, but I have also not gained. My fiber has dropped considerably and I am seeing signs of that. I have cut out my high fiber crackers because of the carbs, and I have not had any beans all week. I use canned beans. I rinse and drain them then refrigerate, but they seem to go bad before I can eat them all. I'm thinking of freezing them in 1/2 cup portions because they will defrost quickly when I want them.

It is normal to be craving carbs. Your body is used to having them and needs to adjust. In a few more days, the cravings will subside. I get them a bit after I finish a meal. It's as if my body feels that it needs that slice of bread. After a while it goes away.

Here's hoping we all reach goal before long. I intend to reach goal, but I haven't decided what "goal" is. I'll know it when I get there.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 04-01-2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:11 AM   #4  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

Happy April Fool's Day! We told my daughter there was snow on the ground and that her hair had turned green, lol!

Yes, I hope to keep having good news!!

I thought I would share the breakfast that has been helping me start off my day.....boil in the bag omelettes! I have been making these daily for about a week. I like variety at dinner but do better with routine the rest of the day.

Ok, so this does take extra time in waiting but I use that time to clean up my kitchen or empty the dishwasher or whatever (I stay at home with my daughter). Boil a large pot of water (fill about halfway). Lightly beat 2-3 eggs, mix in a small amount of whatever you want in it (shredded cheese, cooked sausage or bacon, diced ham, veggies), I like to add a dallop of sour cream or milk, add your preferred seaonings (I like salt, pepper and garlic powder). Mix well and add mixture to a quart size freezer bag. Seal and put into boiling water (if multiple bags, use sharpie to put initials/names on baggies). Boil 13 min. Remove baggie, open and omelette will slide out onto plate. Enjoy!

Last edited by Shannonsnail; 04-01-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:21 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

I got this from Prevention.com and thought I would share it. I thought it was good to know this because people still think low carb is bad for you.

Study Shows: Atkins Diet Lowers Risk Of Heart Disease

The Atkins and other low-carb diets have been the subject of various studies and considerable ongoing research. Johns Hopkins researchers have found that overweight and obese people who go on the Atkins Diet reduced inflammation throughout their body.

This inflammation is a trigger for heart disease so its reduction also diminishes the risk for the disease. Study results have been presented to the American Heart Association.

The Atkins diet has actually been around for some time. The nutritionist Robert Atkins who launched this weight loss plan actually began adhering to the diet himself as far back as 1965. His diet was published in Vogue in 1970 and began to grow in popularity from there.

What followed were best-selling books and, today, even grocery store items. Of course, controversy has also accompanied the diet.

Many have claimed that it is not a healthy diet in spite of its ability to achieve significant weight loss. Since the controversy, however, many studies have been conducted in order to determine if there are truly benefits associated with the Atkins Diet.

While the Johns Hopkins study made headlines, there have been others. An earlier study published by theNew England Journal of Medicine found that following the Atkins diet during a two-year period led to a greater reduction in triglycerides and bad cholesterol levels than other diets such as the Mediterranean diet.

Participants also experienced lower blood pressure and, of course, lost weight. In fact, the Atkins is regarded as one of the better plans for losing abdominal weight.

Losing waist circumference is a major facet of the Atkins plan. Waist that is larger than 35 inches around can easily be associated with a greater risk for heart disease. A diet like Atkins which is known for reducing waist size can reduce these risks.

Obesity itself is a factor linked to heart disease as well as other conditions like diabetes and stroke. The Atkins Diet is regarded as a viable way to effectively manage weight and enhance one’s health.

While many people have heard of this popular diet, not everyone may be familiar with its basic tenets. The Atkins Diet calls for a reduction of carbohydrates. In fact, many of today’s popular low-carb diets have been influenced by the success of the Atkins Diet. Though dieters will significantly limit their carbohydrates, they will increase their protein intake.

This protein-rich plan is particularly strict during the initial phase of the diet. Early on, carb intake is essentially associated with a salad and some low-starch vegetables. The diet calls for a stop on processed foods containing carbs and refined sugars.

Anyone contemplating beginning the Atkins diet should understand that there are four phases associated with this weight loss plan. The first introductory phase, according to most participants, is regarded as the most difficult as the reduction of carbs tend to be a major departure from the way most people eat. The second phase involves ongoing weight loss, while the third phase is known as pre-maintenance, and the last phase is simply maintenance.

Is the Atkins Diet right for everyone? If one goes by the studies, anyone who is obese, overweight, and has a large waistline can benefit by the weight loss associated with strict adherence to the Atkins Diet. By reducing weight, dieters also reduce their risk factors for heart disease and other serious health conditions like diabetes. Losing abdominal weight can be difficult for many dieters, too, but the Atkins plan is known for its ability to shrink waistlines.

Dieters contemplating changing their lifestyle and diet should discuss their plans with their healthcare provider. Once you are sure about beginning this diet, it’s a good idea to find out more about it in detail. Books about the Atkins Diet are available and there is also a website to find out more information about eating.

Get to understand what foods are off limits and what foods are alright to eat in great quantity. Dieters may have to revamp their pantries and learn new ways of cooking healthy using Atkins-friendly ingredients. Those serious about following the plan have weight loss to look forward to and, if these studies are correct, some health benefits too!
Old 04-01-2014, 12:23 PM   #6  

Rennie Thanks for starting our April Chat. I used to exercise when I first got up, but since my recumbent bike is in the bedroom and DH is a day sleeper, I can't do it early like that any more. I can't move it into the living room because he has his regular stationary bike in here so not room for both. I actually starting riding mine after lunch because I read in the Reverse Diabetes book (not Prevention) that it was better for diabetics to exercise after we eat. Of course, he didn't say how long we should wait. DH thinks I should exercise before I eat. I read somewhere else that you should wait 2 hrs after, so I may try Carol Sue's waiting an hour and exercise and see how I do with that. However, I don't plan to do any exercise today other than regular moving around.

Shannon You are doing so good and just think of what a good example you are to your precious little one. I'm 70 yrs old and I often feel that I owe it to my grown children a good example of eating right. As I learn new healthy eating ways, I share it with them hoping they can see that the fact I never gave up will be encouraging to them. You can be so proud of yourself.

Carol Sue I rejoined Prevention.com website. So glad you reminded me of that when you shared from it. They are so good and helpful. I read on there today about indigestion and some of the foods it say eat seem to be my problem right now, but I know they are things I will add back into my diet as I progress.

I was so ill during the night. I was feeling pretty good and as soon as I laid down, it hit me. I had to come and sit almost upright in my recliner to let my tummy get settled. The problem with that is that my DH comes alive about midnight and here I'm not feeling well and he want to talk to me. I was reading on-line and in some of his medical books to see what to do. He has an emergency diagnosis book and he was questioning me "do you feel this" "No. "What about this"? I really don't think it is gerd as I don't have all the symptoms. I ate 6 small meals yesterday, but I just made myself eat them to reach the calories etc. I honestly felt like I had overloaded my stomach.

Today I read on Prevention.com that protein makes you feel full longer because it takes it longer to digest... even up to 24 hrs. So I am even more convinced that is what I did. I overloaded. So I am going to continue the Atkins Induction, but I am going to eat ONLY WHEN I AM HUNGRY and eat only as much as I need to be satisfied. I am not going to worry too much about calories, because I know that I would not go over 1600 calories in a day if I do that. I will keep a count of the carbs to keep them down around 20 g for a while and then after a week or two I will start adding carbs 5 g a week to see how many I can eat and still lose weight. I am not going to even worry about the fiber as I think that by choosing the right carbs that will also take care of itself. I think left to the combination of Atkins and Intuitive Eating that the weight and the digestive problems will take care of themselves.

So far today, I had the 1/2 avocado and 1 egg cooked in my Stove Wave in the microwave. Thanks Carol Sue for sharing that with me. My plan is to have that steak for lunch that I didn't eat yesterday and then take the rest of the day as it comes and decide what I'll eat when I get hungry. If I eat 6 small meals, but it may just be 3 or 4 small ones. No real rules at this time except the Intuitive Rules of when I'm hungry, eat what I really want and eat only as much as it takes to satisfy my hunger and no more. I might check out Fitday. I notice a lot of 3fchickies use it.

I almost decided to go ahead and just eat fiber and not worry about Atkins, but then 2 things happened. My weight was up again 1 lb so I had gained a lb on high fiber and I gained a lb switching to Atkins. That didn't bother since I do that when switching diets. But I was thrilled to see my FBS at 121 today the lowest it has been in 6 or 7 yrs. It got that low only one time before when I was doing Atkins. Then I read the article I posted on here from Prevention about Atkins. That sold me. It shows me what works and that it is safe and that I had just overloaded my stomach yesterday trying to reach a minimum of 1200 calories when I wasn't hungry. Personally I stay up and get up too late to eat so many small meals. So I now know how I have to eat to control the fbs so I'm going with it.

Sorry this so long. I'm still not up to par so may have repeated myself. If so, I do apologize. I believe we are all going to find our way and make it to our goals. Like Carol Sue, I'm not sure what my final goal will be. I have people even DH say I would look good at 150 so I made that my goal, but will decide when I get there what I want to do from there.

Have nice day Chickies.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:08 PM   #7  
~Rennie

Carol Sue I am so not looking forward to that. I listen to the boys that wear men size clothes tell me about what they WANT on a regular basis. It's interesting to hear them say when I get a job I'm gonna buy this this and this. Well little do they know and their older sister can tell them money flows through your pockets/fingers quickly if you are not careful and you will have nothing to get you through the week before you blink. Good for you on your fbs being in the 140's and eating no pasta, potatoes, bread or sweets will definitely help you cut weight. That's how I lost the 10lbs in January but February and March weren't that easy. I think my body adjusted I haven't decided what "goal" is. I'll know it when I get there. <--- this is me, I have numbers set in place but I do suspect I will know truly when I get there

Shannon, I like the idea of boil in a bag. I tried the microwave omelet and it makes it taste and look fake. I may give that a shot, I don't buy freezer bags so I'll have to get those also

Trish great job on your fbs being in the 120's We didn't make it to the gym today not sure why but ok. My husband was making pancakes for himself which is what he typically does before the gym since they are so heavy. They smelled so good so I decided I would look up protein pancakes. I used bits and pieces from 7 different recipes according to what I had in here and came up with this ...

Makes 3 -- 4.5 inch pancakes
Calories 99, carbs 8, protein 12, sodium 204, fiber 1 <- in each one, I didn't think that was too bad other than the sodium

1 tbsp WildRoots flaxseed meal
1/8 cup Betty Crocker rice flour blend
1 egg
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
¼ tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp baking powder <-- probably didn't need since I had the rice flour
½ cup of water

I only ate one with sohgave low glycemic syrup which is 60 calories
Old 04-01-2014, 04:54 PM   #8  
~Shannon

Rennie, definitely get the freezer ones, they are thicker and can withstand the heat. Here is a pancake recipe I've had success with (low carb, not high protein, might not fit what you are looking for)
http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/201...uten-free.html

Last edited by Shannonsnail; 04-01-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:42 PM   #9  
~Rennie

Shannon sounds good and looks good also. There are 6 grams of protein in a serving of her pancakes. Thank you for sharing this site with me I like a few of the recipes on that site. How much does coconut flour and almond flour cost? I priced one of them made by Bob's Red Mill and it was almost $10 so I left it at the store.

I'm having a snacky evening, not good at all

Last edited by love2b150; 04-01-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:34 PM   #10  

Shannon Thanks for the boil in bag omelet recipe and the low carb recipe site. I've never seen coconut flour, but will have to check it out when I can add it back into my plan.

Rennie Thanks for your recipe too.

I am reading The New Atkins for a New You book again. Haven't gotten very far because I am mostly relaxing and taking it easy today giving my tummy time to heal. I was pleased to see in the new book that they recommend 4 or 5 small meals, but they also have a few rules that sound more like Intuitive Eating because they suggest eating only when you are hungry and eat as much as it takes to satisfy you. However, they do recommend that you not go more than 5 or 6 hrs without eating something. This is good for me because when I did IE there were days that I could eat as soon as I got up and maybe eat up to 5 meals, however, there were a lot of times that I just didn't get hungry. It will be nice to be on a plan that allows me to go longer without food. I really believe when my tummy is better that I'm going to really enjoy doing this.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:39 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I saved both of these pancake recipes but I don't know if I'll ever actually make them. I don't usually buy unusual ingredients such as Flaxseed meal or Rice Flour. Also, I have erased the thought of carby foods from my mind for the moment and don't want to temp fate by trying even low carb versions. I'm afraid it will just make me crave the real thing. You know what they say, "If it's not broke, don't fix it." I am absolutely amazed that I have done this for this long. It is so not me, but long overdue.

I feel absolutely wonderful today. I have been very sniffly with seasonal allergies so I took a Benadryl at bedtime and I slept like a dead man. I had so much energy today! I think it's a combination of my glucose dropping and the low carb diet. I exercised for 35 min at a higher intensity than usual, and I did intervals. I sure hope this continues. I feel like I'm 40!

I exercise while I'm watching my soaps, so that's after lunch, which is usually light. Today I had kale and spinach with sauteed mushrooms, onions and garlic. Topped with some feta cheese and black beans. Yummy Yummy! Before dinner my bs was 132, but I just checked it and it's at 99. So the exercise has helped bring it down.

Rennie, although I would like to be slim and svelt, my weight loss goals have more to do with health than looks. That ship has sailed! LOL If I could comfortably fit into my clothes that are too tight I will be more than happy. My goal is to be at whatever weight allows me to have good BP and BG without meds. I wouldn't care if I had to continue to use Metformin because I have no side effects from it, and it is known to have health benefits.

Trish - I sure hope your tummy settles down soon. Is it pain, or just an upset stomach? I agree that you should not try to reach 1200 calories if it makes you feel stuffed. Many people on low carb are eating lower calories than normal because the protein makes you feel full longer. And right now I wouldn't worry about fiber until you are feeling better. I think low carb is going to work well for you when you finally get your stomach issues taken care of. Worry about that first.

When I first started this my calories were around 1000 but recently they have gone up into the 1200 range. I don't know if that's why I haven't lost any more or not, but I will be patient. If I don't lose more by the end of the week I will look into cutting back. I am only eating eggs, fish, meat, and veggies for the most part, but maybe I'm eating too many protein calories. That's the only place it could be because there's not many calories in veggies.

My husband makes himself 2 pieces of french toast for breakfast. It sure looks good! Then he scrambles the leftover eggs for me. If I make my own breakfast I use egg substitute.

I think that's funny that you and DH use different bikes. My husband uses my treadmill and weights but won't use the elliptical. My 5 year old grandson loves the elliptical. He looks so cute using it. Last time he fell off, but I'll bet he gets right back on it again.

Shannon
, I think I'm too cheap to buy freezer bags. LOL Social Security doesn't allow much money for fancy extras.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 04-01-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:07 PM   #12  
~Rennie

Trish I am good for eating one meal a day maybe two. When I did the Jorge Cruise diet that's when I started eating more on a regular basis, not I think I do more IE and have been for some time. I just didn't know what it was called

Carol Sue, I'm not wanting to be slim or svelte either . Just comfortable in my own skin and healthy (I still have school aged children to raise) and getting off of diabetic meds is definitely a plus. I started buying flaxseed meal a few years back. I was buying Bob's Red Mill but it's grainy so the WildRoots brand is much more like flour and I can deal with the texture better. I was looking into gluten free that's how I ended up with the rice flour blend. It's been in the pantry for a good while now. I buy things and then forget about them, bad habit I have
Old 04-01-2014, 08:27 PM   #13  

Rennie When I was growing up I only ate breakfast on special occasions or when traveling. I only ate lunch and dinner. Once in a while when dating, I would have a cold drink. I hated going out to eat on a date because I wasn't hungry and would actually get sick to my stomach sometimes when I went out to eat on a date. I never had a weight problem until I was made to believe that I HAD TO eat 3 meals a day. I always say I had to learn to gain weight by eating the way people told me WAS HEALTHIER for me. Then I had to hear them fuss because I gained weight and they were always looking for a diet for me to eat less so I could lose weight. DH #2's grandmother was always sending me ads about a NEW diet she saw. Before I married DH #2, I lived alone and was losing weight like crazy because I only ate 1 meal a day and then once in a great while I would have a small snack which usually meant a bite of something... not really even big enough to actually qualify as a snack.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:24 PM   #14  
~Shannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
I saved both of these pancake recipes but I don't know if I'll ever actually make them. I don't usually buy unusual ingredients such as Flaxseed meal or Rice Flour. Also, I have erased the thought of carby foods from my mind for the moment and don't want to temp fate by trying even low carb versions. I'm afraid it will just make me crave the real thing. You know what they say, "If it's not broke, don't fix it." I am absolutely amazed that I have done this for this long. It is so not me, but long overdue.

I feel absolutely wonderful today. I have been very sniffly with seasonal allergies so I took a Benadryl at bedtime and I slept like a dead man. I had so much energy today! I think it's a combination of my glucose dropping and the low carb diet. I exercised for 35 min at a higher intensity than usual, and I did intervals. I sure hope this continues. I feel like I'm 40!

I exercise while I'm watching my soaps, so that's after lunch, which is usually light. Today I had kale and spinach with sauteed mushrooms, onions and garlic. Topped with some feta cheese and black beans. Yummy Yummy! Before dinner my bs was 132, but I just checked it and it's at 99. So the exercise has helped bring it down.

Rennie, although I would like to be slim and svelt, my weight loss goals have more to do with health than looks. That ship has sailed! LOL If I could comfortably fit into my clothes that are too tight I will be more than happy. My goal is to be at whatever weight allows me to have good BP and BG without meds. I wouldn't care if I had to continue to use Metformin because I have no side effects from it, and it is known to have health benefits.

Trish - I sure hope your tummy settles down soon. Is it pain, or just an upset stomach? I agree that you should not try to reach 1200 calories if it makes you feel stuffed. Many people on low carb are eating lower calories than normal because the protein makes you feel full longer. And right now I wouldn't worry about fiber until you are feeling better. I think low carb is going to work well for you when you finally get your stomach issues taken care of. Worry about that first.

When I first started this my calories were around 1000 but recently they have gone up into the 1200 range. I don't know if that's why I haven't lost any more or not, but I will be patient. If I don't lose more by the end of the week I will look into cutting back. I am only eating eggs, fish, meat, and veggies for the most part, but maybe I'm eating too many protein calories. That's the only place it could be because there's not many calories in veggies.

My husband makes himself 2 pieces of french toast for breakfast. It sure looks good! Then he scrambles the leftover eggs for me. If I make my own breakfast I use egg substitute.

I think that's funny that you and DH use different bikes. My husband uses my treadmill and weights but won't use the elliptical. My 5 year old grandson loves the elliptical. He looks so cute using it. Last time he fell off, but I'll bet he gets right back on it again.

Shannon
, I think I'm too cheap to buy freezer bags. LOL Social Security doesn't allow much money for fancy extras.
Carol Sue, lol, I hear ya! I buy the cheap ones at Aldi but honestly, I use alot of that type product because I buy meat in bulk to freeze and do alot of cooking ahead to freeze. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have them!
Old 04-01-2014, 09:34 PM   #15  
~Shannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2b150 View Post
Shannon sounds good and looks good also. There are 6 grams of protein in a serving of her pancakes. Thank you for sharing this site with me I like a few of the recipes on that site. How much does coconut flour and almond flour cost? I priced one of them made by Bob's Red Mill and it was almost $10 so I left it at the store.

I'm having a snacky evening, not good at all
Rennie, I'm not gonna lie, the products recommended on that blog are pricey but I really trust the author's opinion on brands. When I had that dr appt in Dec I felt hopeless and was doing alot of online research when I stumbled across All Day I Dream About Food. I love to bake and the thought of not baking or only baking with aspartame or splenda really disheartened me. I cannot tolerate aspartame. It gives me migraines, even the amount in a breath mint. And splenda I can only tolerate in small amounts, like in tea or coffee. So, when I found her blog and saw that her recipes were more focused on other substitutes I got hooked. The more I read the more I felt comfortable with her recommendations. I've also emailed with her several times. Anyway, I did a massive purchase to stock my pantry. It was expensive but now I always have what I need when a recipe pops up that appeals to me. I bought my ingredients in bulk to lower my cost and ordered online bc we get free shipping with amazon so I think the BRM coconut flour was around $8 and some change per pound. Not cheap but maybe less than at a local shop.
Closed Thread