Old 04-02-2014, 12:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 300/249/180

Height: 5'10"

Question Going out for Breakfast

Have a weekly thing where I meet a bunch of friends for breakfast. I actually made alternate plans for us for 2 weeks in a row coming up, but need to get through this week. Last week (week 1) for me I had egg whites and turkey bacon and heard today, turkey bacon is a no-no. Just found the menu online (http://www.bonattsbakeryrestaurant.com/menu.html), so have time to plan this out but still not sure. Is chicken/apple sausage or ham a good choice? How can I order my eggs- worried about extras being put into items etc. I like them anyway. Appreciate any advice/support. Really want to be 100%. Thanks in advance!
Jillybee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:51 PM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillybee123 View Post
Have a weekly thing where I meet a bunch of friends for breakfast. I actually made alternate plans for us for 2 weeks in a row coming up, but need to get through this week. Last week (week 1) for me I had egg whites and turkey bacon and heard today, turkey bacon is a no-no. Just found the menu online (http://www.bonattsbakeryrestaurant.com/menu.html), so have time to plan this out but still not sure. Is chicken/apple sausage or ham a good choice? How can I order my eggs- worried about extras being put into items etc. I like them anyway. Appreciate any advice/support. Really want to be 100%. Thanks in advance!
I wouldn't choose the meats at all.
You can have eggs and veggies (scrambled or omelet) or eggs and a salad to stay within IP.
If you have 2 eggs, either subtract from your dinner protein or sometimes I count 2 eggs as my restricted for the day.

1 egg + 2-3 egg whites = 1 omelet packet
A serving of egg beaters would probably also be similar to an omelet packet.

Just make sure their omelets/scrambled eggs are made with whole eggs and nothing else is "added" (IHOP puts pancake batter in their omelets).

Or you can have coffee and an IP bar.

Last edited by lisa32989; 04-02-2014 at 01:54 PM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Jilly..Good for you for asking..
Actually b-fast is one of the easiest meals to do out. Remember first and foremost...you do NOT need to order off the menu.

You can call ahead and see if they can accommodate your "dietary needs" to put your mind at ease, but most places that do breakfast have kitchens and cooks that are VERY used to customizing meals for people....SO...SKIP the breakfast meats, cheese and fruits.They are too high in fat, carbs and or salt.
  • You can mirror an IP packet easily{100 calories// +or-17 g protein//under 7 carbs} pretty easily by ordering a 3-egg white omlette or fritatta. ( 3 egg whites = 60 calories and 18 g protein)
  • Specify --- they must be FRESH egg whites only. That way you know they are not processed with anything extra.Scrambled eggs often have pancake flour added to the mixture...{...fluffy and gorgeous when they are plated....however: CARB city.}
Pick several veggies you like..that are IP phase 1 compliant such as spinach, mushrooms peppers or asparagus etc...( another 25-30 calories and only a few carbs)

Ignore the toast if you want them to bring it so not to appear to be too far off the beam from the rest of the table...The waiters have a way of saying NO TOAST?? (like it's a crime against national security...)...if you are afraid of being tempted...tell them no bread, or better yet, order your meal gluten free, sugar free and salt free...They get the picture and go with exactly what you tell them when you say this.. Coffee or tea and lots of water ...you are good to go.

This meal can even be done at lunch time if there are no other good options. Most Kitchens can handle a few egg whites...and have them on hand!!!

Enjoy your friends, not having to cook and being out...that is what a get-together is for! And..this meal will not ruin your compliance.

Last edited by 65X65; 04-02-2014 at 01:54 PM.
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:59 PM   #4  

I have always used turkey bacon in phase 1 scrambled with eggs. It did not have carbs. Can you tell me why its a no-no.
eandc2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:09 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandc2006 View Post
I have always used turkey bacon in phase 1 scrambled with eggs. It did not have carbs. Can you tell me why its a no-no.
1. It is not on the P1 list
2. too high in fat
Old 04-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #6  

Clarification for the eggs

1 egg white has 4 g protein http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...products/112/2
1 whole egg has 6g protein, 5 g fat

1 egg + 2 egg whites is 14 g protein, 103 calories
1 egg + 3 egg whites is 18 g protein, 119 calories

Based on large eggs

Both ways would fit into "range" for an IP packet.

Last edited by lisa32989; 04-02-2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:37 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Clarification for the eggs

1 egg white has 4 g protein http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...products/112/2
1 whole egg has 6g protein, 5 g fat

1 egg + 2 egg whites is 14 g protein, 103 calories
1 egg + 3 egg whites is 18 g protein, 119 calories

Both ways would fit into "range" for an IP packet.
Actually it depends on the size egg you use...we use ex large and jumbo at home.....which are actually closer to 7- 8g.

It's not something you can control when you are out...
Old 04-02-2014, 03:42 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 300/249/180

Height: 5'10"

Thank you all so much!! Feel so much better about this!
Jillybee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:09 PM   #9  

Quote:
Thank you all so much!! Feel so much better about this!
You can do this...so many of us have had to be out for business and planned and unplanned travel...there are a lot of ways to manage not eating at home. Planning is key...but when you get stuck having 2 or 3 "go to" meals you can easily get out will allow you to be 100% compliant. You may NOT always be able to pack what you need if you are on this for any length of time...so you need plan "B". Extended family may not be someone you can depend on so you need a few lines to cover your needs...esp...if what is being served won't work for you. (Hint: 2 FF side salads, a naked grilled chicken breast(-toss-the-bun-thank-you) from a take out will save the day on the way to a dinner at Aunt Edna's that you don't think will be IP friendly when you are far from home and have run out of bars and shakes. Walmart carries EAS carb control shakes and so do a lot of groc and Rx stores.

My parents were both close to 90 years of age, and live hundreds of miles from me, and both were ill a lot in the 6 months+ I was going through P1 and 2. My Mom was moved into assisted living, had several strokes, and they both had pneumonia..{not at the same time...} and my father had a hip replacement! I was on the road A LOT.. usually without much warning. My mom passed away...and my dad went into congestive heart failure right after that. I managed to be 100% until reaching goal, and having those "go to" meals allowed me to manage it all when a "cooler" of food or prepping additional food was not an option. Knowing what to do and that I COULD do it and not use the events as a reason to deviate from the plan......relieved a lot of stress. It was all hard enough...

I think messing up or going off IP would have made it all harder to deal with...not easier. I would have had to start over and still be trying to get to goal if I had not stayed with it.

Like I and others have said...you can do this!!!!!

Last edited by 65X65; 04-02-2014 at 04:09 PM.