General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:15 PM   #1  

Default Diet Suggestions???

I have a 13 year old daughter with Aspergers Syndrome. Her metabolism doesn't function correctly and her weight has become a big problem. She tries to watch what she eats, not a heavy eater but she keeps gaining and gaining. Right now she is around 250 lbs. Is there a diet someone could suggest that might aid her in dropping some weight? I had thought about supplementing glucomannan into her diet..does anyone know if this works??
aspergersmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:28 PM   #2  
yogini99

S/C/G: 137/125/123

Height: 5'6"

I would recommend seeing an endocrinologist to have her hormones, etc check out to see if there is something they can do.
Yogini99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Welcome, why do you say that her metabolism doesn't function properly. If that is something that her doctor told you then for sure he would have made some suggestions as to how to help her. Can you share that information?
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:36 PM   #4  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

I would definitely speak with a doctor if you can. You might also be able to get useful information and support from local organizations such as The Arc, Special Olympics, etc. I work with people with intellectual disabilities and will see if I can find any resources to send to you.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:15 PM   #5  

We had genetic testing done...along with lots and lots of more tests. One testing that was done they told us that her metabolism wasn't functioning properly, that we needed to watch her weight. Well..we have watched it...climb and climb. See sees her dr regularly, they have sent her to more than one dietician and we end up in the same situation. More testing that says her metabolism isn't functioning as it should and to continue watching her weight. After a long discussion with one of her drs, he is who suggested that we add glucomannan to see if that would help her loose some of the weight. We have yet to have a dr that will just say...do this or do that or to tell us any suggestions to aid/boost her metabolism or if there is a medication to try. I'm just kind of at a loss. At her age although with aspergers she isn't much on social situations, she is becoming very self conscious with her outward appearance. After glucomannan being suggested by a dr I just wondered if anyone had used it or not that could give me an idea of if it works, if there were any noticeable side effects..anything like that.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:45 AM   #6  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspergersmama View Post
I have a 13 year old daughter with Aspergers Syndrome. Her metabolism doesn't function correctly and her weight has become a big problem. She tries to watch what she eats, not a heavy eater but she keeps gaining and gaining. Right now she is around 250 lbs. Is there a diet someone could suggest that might aid her in dropping some weight? I had thought about supplementing glucomannan into her diet..does anyone know if this works??
I wonder if it's worth getting a second opinion, maybe from an endocrinologist specializing in pediatrics or asbergers? To tell you that her metabolism is functioning properly is so general as to be almost meaningless. WHAT is lacking or too much? That might provide guidance as to what is correctable. Book suggestion is Fat Chance by Robert Lustig,a pediatric endocrinologist. His anecdotes of patients who gained due to specific endocrine issues were enlightening.

From what I've read in other books, a teenager going on a diet is at risk for developing lifelong disordered eating such as bulimia.

Last edited by mars735; 04-01-2014 at 07:49 AM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:51 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I don't know if this would help, but volumetric principles may be useful. If she's not a big eater, making the foods she is eating inherently lower in calories may make her weight stabilize or even reduce.

This is how I feed myself and my family. We are eating any and everything, but it's cut about 50% with non-starchy vegetables.

A plate I'd give my daughter would have chicken nuggets, macaroni and cheese, and roasted broccoli. You'd never know that the chicken nuggets are actually chicken and yellow squash nuggets, the macaroni is hidden veggie and the cheese sauce is actually pureed cauliflower mixed with cheese.

These little tweaks are how I add a lot of nutrition, keep my calories low, and also stretch my budget.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:04 AM   #8  

What's wrong with her metabolism exactly? I have a hard time understanding why they would tell you that something is wrong with her metabolism yet give you no suggestions on how to help her.

Diet pills are STRONGLY discouraged on this board.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:52 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
What's wrong with her metabolism exactly? I have a hard time understanding why they would tell you that something is wrong with her metabolism yet give you no suggestions on how to help her.

Diet pills are STRONGLY discouraged on this board.
Ditto all of this.

My experience with konjac root (noodles) has been - if I have one serving, I'm fine. If I double it (easily since it's so low in calories) then I end up with a severe stomach ache.

I believe that it's really for an issue of satiety, though. If she's not over eating, then it wouldn't be an appropriate solution.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:24 PM   #10  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
We had genetic testing done...along with lots and lots of more tests. One testing that was done they told us that her metabolism wasn't functioning properly, that we needed to watch her weight. Well..we have watched it...climb and climb. See sees her dr regularly, they have sent her to more than one dietician and we end up in the same situation. More testing that says her metabolism isn't functioning as it should and to continue watching her weight. After a long discussion with one of her drs, he is who suggested that we add glucomannan to see if that would help her loose some of the weight. We have yet to have a dr that will just say...do this or do that or to tell us any suggestions to aid/boost her metabolism or if there is a medication to try. I'm just kind of at a loss. At her age although with aspergers she isn't much on social situations, she is becoming very self conscious with her outward appearance. After glucomannan being suggested by a dr I just wondered if anyone had used it or not that could give me an idea of if it works, if there were any noticeable side effects..anything like that.
I agree with others, get her to an endocrinologist. They can help narrow down what is going on and how to proceed in terms of diet.

I can tell you this much- my youngest daughter has a gluten allergy. She gained A LOT of weight when she was eating gluten products. She ate no more, actually less than her teenage peers, all allegedly "healthy foods" (wheat pasta, wheat bread, etc) yet the weight just kept piling on and on, to a point where she was reduced to tears from frustration. It was determined that gluten was the cause of her bloated stomach and other areas of her body. Some days, though, she doesn't always eat gluten free (she's still a teenager, a senior in high school), but I feed her gluten free at home, which has stabilized her weight gain. One day, she will drop it completely from her diet, but I know it's not easy being a teen and going out with friends once in awhile and just wanting to be one of the gang and eat some pizza like everyone else. She does have another friend with a gluten problem, so they go to Taco Bell or eat gluten free foods when they go out.

I suggest that maybe you look up symptoms of gluten sensitivity and gluten allergy. My daughter gets severe cramps when she has too much of it- she doesn't eat it much now, so it's not too bad, but she knows when she's over done it and stops eating it for a few days. However, not everyone has stomach problems, which is usually the first sign of a gluten intolerance/allergy. There are quiet a few symptoms.

Also, have her vitamin D3 levels checked- something that both of my daughters as well as I suffer from- that can cause weight gain as well.

I wish your darling daughter (and yourself!) the best, may you find what's ailing her in terms of weight gain. Keeping fingers crossed that you find some answers soon!
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:01 PM   #11  

Thanks for all the advice I agree, a second opinion, especially with an endocrinologis is something we for sure need. When doing all her testing and the metabolism issue was discussed, we were told that due to her chromosome issues, and problems it will cause, one thing it has a big effect on is her metabolism, and will cause to to function very slowly and weight gain would happen. Their suggestion was to watch what she eats, make sure she isn't overeating and keep her active. Those things haven't been an issue, but the weight keeps coming. I talked to her pedi neuro today and she is referring her out to an endocrinologist Diet pills aren't an option as far as Im concerned, especially since she has every side effect possible to everything she takes. I was hoping someone would have a good suggestion and I want to say thanks again, everything that goes on with her gets slightly overwhelming and we hit lots of brick walls, I don't know why we haven't been referred out before to some different doctors for some of her issues that aren't strictly aspergers. Thanks again!
Old 04-02-2014, 11:40 PM   #12  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucomannan

Its a good idea to do some research when you learn about new things. Wikipedia is always useful. There is good information in the article. Please read it.

It might also be a good idea to learn more about metabolism so you can understand why she is putting on weight regardless of your good efforts.

What is the name of her metabolic condition.

If she's not overeating, and still putting on weight, is there really anything you can do. YOu can't keep reducing her food indefinitely. because she will just be starving.

Nevertheless, fibre is a good idea. Protein and fibre help with satiety.

What sort of calories per day is she on now? Have you checked what sort of calories she should be doing. though i'd think if she's seen a dietician you must have.

I guess you also just have to make sure her macro nutrients are in balance and that she's not eating too much high calorie food.

I also wonder if you have ever discussed the low carb diets with your doctors/dieticians. I"m not pro them but given the way insulin works, maybe it would help. But don't jump into putting her on that unless you have all sides of the story and are fully aware of any possible risk - e.g. caused by long term damage to the kidneys or something.

I mean if "watching" what she eats etc is not working, it may be worth learning about.

Also if you do use the glucomannan and psyllium be aware that too much of it long term might also cause bowel problems so ask the doctor about that too.

Follow the warnings about taking adequate water!!!

What sort of exercise does she do?
Could she become a marathon runner or a long distance cyclist? or some other type of athlete? I've done cycle touring. YOu ride your bike all day long. And see the world.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:27 AM   #13  

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice I agree, a second opinion, especially with an endocrinologis is something we for sure need. When doing all her testing and the metabolism issue was discussed, we were told that due to her chromosome issues, and problems it will cause, one thing it has a big effect on is her metabolism, and will cause to to function very slowly and weight gain would happen. Their suggestion was to watch what she eats, make sure she isn't overeating and keep her active. Those things haven't been an issue, but the weight keeps coming. I talked to her pedi neuro today and she is referring her out to an endocrinologist Diet pills aren't an option as far as Im concerned, especially since she has every side effect possible to everything she takes. I was hoping someone would have a good suggestion and I want to say thanks again, everything that goes on with her gets slightly overwhelming and we hit lots of brick walls, I don't know why we haven't been referred out before to some different doctors for some of her issues that aren't strictly aspergers. Thanks again!
Let us know how it goes with the endocrinologist! I hope the best for you and your daughter!
Old 04-03-2014, 11:45 AM   #14  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
That's wonderful that you have an appointment with an endocrinologist! I wish you and your daughter nothing but success- may he/she give you answers and the help you need to help your daughter get some of her weight off.

I know things can be so overwhelming. While my circumstances are a bit different than yours, none the less, the worry (especially about the future) and thoughts that I have daily overwhelm myself at times, as well, as a mother. You're doing the very best that you can- please remember that. She knows this and appreciates it, and she makes it all worth it.

My youngest daughter, who is a senior in high school, had a concert recently for her chorus with a full audience in attendance. She dedicated a special song that I used to sing to her when she was a kid and young teen- got right up before that crowd, announced to me- "Mom, this one's for you, I love you Mom, I just love you!" and proceeded to sing. If that didn't tell me how much she loved and appreciated me, I don't know what would have. I still cry, watching the video of it, it just moved me to pieces.

She has cancer, has a gluten allergy, an auditory learning disability, and has a weight problem. Yet, she has done three sports all year long all throughout high school- Cross Country, Ski Team, and Track and Field- (javelin, shot put, discus, 400 meter) and has made honor roll and moved up to College Prep classes, working hard every single day. I wouldn't trade her (or my oldest daughter and son) for anything else in this world- when we found out her cancer may be back, I told her, I lost her twin at birth, I will never ever lose her. So please know, you are not alone in being overwhelmed, scared, and worried- there's quite a few of us on this board that have kids with special needs or other medical problems that we face daily. We're here if you need us.

Please let us know how you're both doing and stay in touch with us. Even if all we can do is just listen or give support online, it's a safe place for you to share your worries and concerns and just let it all out. This place has been my private safe haven at times since I joined- I've shared an awful lot here over the years (good, great, and bad), and always appreciated the other members caring and concern and support. We do care here, let us help you.

Last edited by Steelslady; 04-03-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:20 AM   #15  

Hi aspergersmama, Just out of curiosity what has she been eating and what's her activity level?
MsMatic is offline   Reply With Quote