Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-30-2014, 08:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 345/see tracker/200

Height: 5'7"

Default Struggling with weight loss and stress

Hi everyone-so i'm writing this here is a way to hold myself accountable for an issue I've been having for the last couple of weeks.

So I recently was offered a job in the city that's about six hours away from where I live now. I absolutely hate my current job (this place is the definition of a hostile work environment) and have been looking for a new one for the past couple of months when I was offered this job. It's a great opportunity and I'm really excited about it.

The problem is that although I know that's moves can be very stressful I seem to have a difficult time handling any sort of transition or change my life. And this is a big change for me. Plus I have the added stress of having to let my current boss know that I'm quitting and it just so happens I'm leaving during a really crazy time. Also, money is a really big issue since I will be doing this move on my own and although I've saved some money up it's still going to be very tight.

With all this going on I've been slacking on exercising and eating healthy. I haven't completely given up on either but I haven't really been consistent with working out for trying to maintain a healthy diet. I know I've always been a stress eater but it seems like my hunger is out-of-control lately and I know it's due to stress.

So what I'm looking for is advice on how any of you maintain your exercise and healthy eating routine while being in stressful situations. Aside from work which is always stressful for me I've been really good about staying on track however all this change has thrown me for a loop. Again, I'll be the first to admit I don't handle change well. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated!
NYFLAgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

I'm not sure this will help, but I find moving to a new city so exciting! I wish it were me! (I was born in Paris, raised in Montreal and I now live in Toronto. I've also lived in Boston, Banff, Los Angeles, and Tokyo, and loved every one of those moves.) Is there any chance you can reframe your situation as an adventure rather than a stressor?

As for your eating, perhaps you can write down everything you plan to eat the next day, so you'll have something down on paper.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: size 12/size 2-4/size 4

Height: 5'5

Hi there,
First of all, congratulations on the new job. It sounds like a wonderful opportunity and something to be excited about! I understand being under so much stress and having a hard time staying on track. I gained about 30lbs last year for that reason. I think what helps me stay focused now is more about what I tell myself. I will say to myself, the stress will be there anyway. So I can either be stressed and heavy or be stressed and thin. That has worked well for me. I remember that food won't help or erase it. It will just make it worse later. Just my 2 cents. I hope through all the stress, you can have a few moments to really enjoy your accomplishment and remain excited about this opportunity!
christine123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:26 PM   #4  
I can do this!

S/C/G: 289/265/200

Height: 5'6"

Congratulations on your new job!

My advice is, try and have food pre made so it is easy to grab. When I do this I'm able to pack a lunch that's healthy and dinner is done in 20 minutes. I cut up all my vegetables, have salads made up and chicken cooked. I cook fish because it is fast. I keep lean cuisines in my freezer. I pack my lunch for the next day before I go to bed.

I hope that helped a little. Good luck with your move.
PumpkinField is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:05 AM   #5  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Sometimes sticking to my plan is comforting in a stressful situation. When I feel like too many aspects of my life are out of control it is grounding to remain in control of this one, important thing. Maybe you can try to formulate your thinking around that idea: don't look at your weight loss process as one more stressor in your changing life. Rather, consider it a touchstone of constancy when everything else seems to be changing.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:15 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I know some people who are devastatingly scared of change. One in particular is willing to live at home with her mother forever because she's so afraid of change. She hates her job but is unwilling to look for a new one eventhough she doesn't pay rent, and has no expenses because she doesn't go anywhere for vacations (too scared of the change in scenery I guess lol). So she has the financial freedom to quit and look for another job but doesn't because she's scared of change.

I'm quite the opposite, I look for change I want change I love change. However that doesn't mean that I'm not scared of change, I just find ways to be excited about change because life can be so boring if there's nothing to shake things up. I also believe that if you're not moving forward you're moving backwards and backwards is not an option.

I know you want advice about eating the right foods while stressing out but maybe if you found a way to cope with your stress you'd feel more in control of your eating. You have to talk positively to yourself, stop telling yourself to be nervous. The more you reinforce the nervousness the more you'll feel it. It sounds dumb but look in the mirror and say it to yourself "I'm so excited about moving!!" Tell your friends, family, and everyone you meet about this exciting new change and listen to them gush and praise you, even if you're feeling nervous just put on the happy act and praise yourself too. It does wonders for pumping you youp.

Make a list of pros and cons about moving/new job versus staying/this job. Leave the list up and add to it as the day progresses. You'll see by the time you finish that list that it will help you decide. If your Pros list is twice as long as your cons list then you'll feel stupid if you don't take the job!

Then you need to be a big girl and pull off those bandaids in a flash. say YES to the job and then go in, stand tall and give your notice. No apologies!!!! If someone gives you lip "oh this isn't a good time" as long as you stand and smile and nod and hold true to what you want it will be over in a flash. And then most of your nervousness will be gone and replaced with anxious excitement.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:59 PM   #7  

Wow Wannabeskinny thank you for that-seriously that was great advice. Thank you to everyone else as well-this is why I love posting here.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:11 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYFLAgirl View Post
Wow Wannabeskinny thank you for that-seriously that was great advice. Thank you to everyone else as well-this is why I love posting here.
Just remember that you do not owe your boss your lifelong loyalty anymore than he owes you his. In this day and age we deserve to have a job that fulfills us and provides us with happiness as well as a paycheck and benefits. Also, things will NOT fall apart there if you leave, don't give yourself too much credit here. They'll be fine without you, and you'll be more than fine without them.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:13 PM   #9  

Thanks Wanna-I know they'll be fine but my boss is a she devil. Not being dramatic but she's completely insane. Everyone that's left (and turnover has been huge in the last two year that she's taken over) she's had a huge confrontation with and been really unprofessional. While I don't mind the confrontation I just don't really want to deal with it. But I know I have to and know that once it's over I'll feel great.