PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/163/125

Height: 5'4"

Default Metformin success stories?

Hey all,
I've been prescribed Metformin by my endocrinologist this week, but I have been hesistant about taking it.. I've heard a lot of bad things about the side effects (constipation, nausea, etc), so I would love to hear a bit more from people who have actually had succes (weight loss wise) while on Metformin, with or without the side effects.

I've been trying to lose weight for as long as I can remember, but nothing seems to work Which is why I'm ready to try anything that could possibly help me lose weight, but still hearing about the side effects of metformin makes me a bit anxious..

Anyways, looking forward to your replies

PS: I've been diagnosed with PCOS, however I'm not insuline resistant. Another reason that makes me wonder whether Metformin will really be able to help me lose weight?

Last edited by dreamer2207; 03-26-2014 at 09:16 AM.
dreamer2207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:14 AM   #2  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

My MIL takes it for diabetes, but in doing so she went from slightly over 200lbs to 153. She really doesn't suffer many side effects either. She does get the occasional "intestinal affliction" from it but it is really a minor inconvenience given everything else.

What were you concerned about specifically?

Last edited by MauiKai; 03-26-2014 at 09:24 AM.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:02 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I do not have PCOS but I do take Metformin for diabetes. When I first went on it I lost 25 lbs over a couple months, but the weight loss stopped after that.

I read online that Metformin has a lot of benefits for PCOS, so weight loss should not be your only concern with it. I did not have any side effects with it until my DR put me on the highest dose allowed. You should start out low, 500mg once or twice a day. If all goes well with that dose, it can be increased if your doctor feels it's necessary. Some people can get side effects even on a low dose. I suggest your try it out at 500mg per day and see what happens. If your body does not have a bad reaction, then increase it. You can always stop taking it. It's very inexpensive and well worth a try, IMO.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:24 AM   #4  
Stubborn.

S/C/G: 197/See ticker/135

Height: 5'6''

My endocrinologist put me on metformin for my PCOS while bragging about how much easier it would make it for me to lose weight, but it destroyed my liver function before I could see any results. They had me check in with some blood tests after a month and I went from normal levels to 60-year-old-alcoholic levels. My father went on it (for pre-diabetes rather than PCOS) and lost about 20 lbs in 3 or 4 months, though.

I'd say that enough people have success with it that it's worth a shot, but if you don't feel right, make an appointment right away.
Hotaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:11 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 304/283/190

Height: 5'11"

I went on metformin for pre-diabetes, and the first several weeks were ROUGH... After that, the side effects normalized for the most part.

In the beginning, had terrible stomach issues and gas to fill a weather balloon at all times... Most of the stomach issues have resolved, but the gas remains, LOL.

It DID have a positive effect on my a1c, though...

Good Luck,

Dean
vwdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 220/220/130

Height: 4' 11"

Hi there,
I went on metformin after many and I mean many blood tests and finally my doctor found out I had pcos. I took metformin to regulate my period, since I was getting it every 6 months. I got my period right away and I also lost weight. I lost about 20 lbs! After a few weeks of taking it I get the surprise that I was expecting my first child! Now we have 2 boys and I thank metformin for it!
Mamayezi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:28 PM   #7  
Gonna be skinny!

S/C/G: 240/224/140

Height: 5'5

I will be starting this as well after being diagnosed with PCOS. They have been trying for so long to figure out why I don't have periods (haven't had one in 18 years now, but they said my cycle was alive and well considering I've had 3 kids with no assistance.) I originally went in because it has been a ridiculous struggle to lose weight, no matter how much effort- this is with a nutritionist and a personal trainer for strength training.

I should be starting it within the next week or two so I will give updates as well for the weight loss benefits as well as the side effects.

Last edited by ladypeacek; 03-31-2014 at 12:28 PM.
ladypeacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:21 AM   #8  

S/C/G: Current 150 Goal 132-143

Height: 5'5"

Default Skeptical

Hello,

I am new to this metformin, and I'm a little skeptical sense my doctor told me I could lose weight while on this medication for my type 2 diabeetus. Reason why I'm skeptical 1. I have worked far to hard and I do not want to gain weight again. 2. I'm not digging the side effects all that much. 3. With these side effects I am really worried for I don't really need any more stress in my life as it is.

This is how my doctor wants me to start taking it. FYI tomorrow beings the first day.

Week 1: 1tab 500mg tab @ breakfast
Week 2: 1 tab 500mg tab @ breakfast 1 @ supper
Week 3: 2 tab 500mg tab @ breakfast 1 @ supper
Week 4: 2 tab 500mg tab @ breakfast 2 @ supper

Maybe I'm just over reacting But I'm really scared of gaining all the weight I have all ready lost back and becoming really sick with this medication.
ahealthy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:51 PM   #9  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I did not lose weight on Metformin. What it does for me it stop new weight gain from creeping ON.

I did not do well on the regular. I take extended release and I "stair stepped" up to my 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening much like you have going on. My doc said if I spend to spend longer on any "step" just give it an extra week on that step to acclimate. Then try moving on to the next step.

I have read about people going the other way -- XR does not work for them and the regular does.

HTH!

Astrophe
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:23 AM   #10  

I was started metformin about 5 months ago, and all I can say is that it completely changed my life! Not only have I had two periods during that time (after being without one for half a year), but I lost about 10 pounds with no change to my diet or exercise routine. I struggle with a lot of muscle and joint pain from inflammation and after just about a month it was manageable.
I did have some slight stomach upset when I first started, but it went away after my second week. For me, the side effects completely disappeared, so don't be discouraged if your first couple weeks are rough!
If anyone's interested I've ordered Metformin online few times from http://www.reliablerxwebs24.com/go/Metformin 10% off discount code “SALE10”. As far as I know this code can be used as many times as you want.

Last edited by DorotheaW; 02-21-2019 at 03:20 PM.
DorotheaW is offline   Reply With Quote