Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 03-26-2014, 05:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/239/134

Height: 5'5''

Smile Help with Meal Planning & Prep, Please!!

I have not yet had my surgery, and won't have it until around July, but ever since I found out that WLS was an option for me, Ive been counting calories and all around have been eating healthier foods.

However, I am horrible at getting in the correct amount of protein, veggies, fruits, etc. that I need in a day. I'm also having trouble with picking out good snacks.

I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea or example of how I can plan & prepare my meals for the week? I think this would help me out TREMENDOUSLY!

TIA!
ashleynm87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:45 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

ok. hmmm. let me give you a few broad brush strokes - for NOW. but for after surgery, please understand that things will change. And that's because your tastes will change, you won't feel like eating, things will go down nicely one day and not the next. Yeah, it's a bit challenging especially for the first three months, but IT GETS BETTER. i promise.

So, what does your doc say you should be eating right now? 60 grams of protein?

a rule of thumb: each ounce of meat, fish, chicken, turkey has about 7 grams of protein. a jumbo egg has 9 grams of protein. So, if your doc says you should be eating about 60 grams a day, that's 8-9 ounces TOTAL. and since a 3-4 ounce serving of protein is considered to be about the size of a deck of cards, you're looking at 4 ounces and lunch, and 4 ounces at dinner, plus an egg for breakfast.

a can of tuna is about 5 ounces once you drain it [i think]. 1/4 pound deli ham or turkey is 4 ounces. add a slice of cheese, and you're in good shape [protein wise, that is].

and don't forget a variety of veggies. my nutritionist told me to eat some at EVERY meal, including breakfast. yougurt with cucumbers works. so does cottage cheese and tomatoes. even a poached egg on a slice of tomato works. i've been making tortas [a thick omelet that cooks in the oven] with all kinds of veggies and cheese. My 8 inch frying pan is a perfect size for this - i get 5 nice slices out of it.

WATCH THE CARBS, and that includes fruit. try to eat fruit with protein. cheese and fruit. yogurt and fruit. don't suffer here.

So, after all this, here's what i've had for today:

breakfast: hard boiled egg, cheese and crackers and 1/2 c strawberries
lunch" about 3 oz chicken salad made with some almonds and grapes [i ran out of celery], 1/2 c white bean salad [with diced cucumbers, carrots, all the rest of the celery! onions, red peppers and a whole pile of herbs with an olive oil and red wine vinegar dressing]

snack - 1/2 c SF chocolate pudding [it wasn't a good day], cheese and crackers

dinner - it'll be some homemade vegetarian white bean soup with romano cheese.

tomorrow, i might have a buffalo turkey sandwich on 1 slice of bread with a slice or two of cheese, some chopped cucumbers and red peppers mixed with some hummus [yum!] for lunch. there's still about 3 oz of chicken left, the bean soup, the bean salad, escarole, and of course, hard boiled eggs, cheese, crackers, apples, grapes.

sorry to be so long winded, but i hope it's given you some ideas. PLEASE eat what you enjoy - within 'the rules' - there's absolutely no reason to suffer
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:36 PM   #3  

Thank you! It helps a lot seeing a day of eating. But it's hard sometimes to get fresh fruits & veggies in AK! I'll be happy when we move and we can have real meat (without all the nasty antibiotics & junk) and go to a farmers market....
Old 03-26-2014, 11:54 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

canned and frozen are OK, too - just get the lower sodium and the no-sugar-added ones. but you're right - farmers markets are GREAT!
Old 03-28-2014, 04:07 AM   #5  

Ashley,where in Alaska are you? Im down in the kenai area. I don't have trouble getting fresh produce. all the stores sell it. also organic stuff, also in the summer we have farmers markets. as far as meat,we have moose, and fresh sea foods. and you can buy organic meats just costs more. I had bariatric surg 4 yrs ago and doing fine. I just had my tummy tuck this fall. even tho ive had the surg and the amounts I eat at one time are restricted I find I can eat more often so its always a struggle,the surg is a tool and requires careful eating. theres a web site that was very helpful too me with recipes and ideas, its called theworldaccordingtoeggface sounds strange but check it out. good luck on your journey. akrosey
akrosey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:45 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

ROSEY!!!! how are you??? where have you been? besides getting all tucked, that it. ...

nice to see you
Old 03-28-2014, 05:35 PM   #7  

Hi Jiffy,I'm doing well. I lost 137# and kept it off for 2 yrs. our ins was about to end( Long story grrr) and I wanted my tummy done. I was referred to a wonderful lady plastic surg in anch. my body was a challenge becuz of my age and the amount of loose skin which hung almost to my knees. she cut 32# from my lower tummy . it felt like being cut in half and restitched. I didn't spend any time in the hosp, being that I have had mersa befor and she didn't want me to be exposed to those germs. so hrs after the surg I went to my dd house to recover. 3 weeks later I came home. it was painful,i had stitches clear around my waist and down and around the personal area..i had drains and a belly band. I recoverd fast and was so pleased with the results. my dr said she was sorry I didn't have abelly button any more and a big scar but I told her I was really pleased and it wasn't as if I would be wearing a bikini at my age. lol must say I bought some lacy undies tho I would do it again .. I was interested in the other post as I have never had trouble with fresh produce here,it can be pricey sometimes tho. so now I consider my self "enough" im maintaining and have even been going to the pool for exercise. I weigh weekly to keep my self honest, like I said I still cant eat a lot at a meal,about 1 cup but I can graze all day so must be careful. I did gain 9# over the holidays but have since lost it. I can eat just about anything but have a very bad reaction to sugar..if I choose to eat stuff with sugar I better stay home.. im sorry im alurker and check in to see whats going on.. hope you are doing well and everyone else..ttfn rosey
akrosey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:34 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

Ashley, I am one month post op from VSG..... I just got "solid soft" food today. So one tip I would give you is try taking smaller bites now.... and try "sipping" to get your liquids in. You cannot gulp anymore and it is HARD to get the water in... in fact, I went to the doctor yesterday and I have a UTI, and I am dehydrated..... I used to drink 100 oz of water a day. It is not really bad not having anything to drink with your meal (I think I read you were worried about that)....

Wait... I have another tip.... listen to Jiffypop! She has a lot of knowledge on this!!!! And then, start taking smaller bites now (and waiting between them-cause the uncomfortable feeling is indescribable when you don't), and also sip, sip, sip!

Lastly, THank you and your family for your military service. I know it is your husband "physically" serving..... but I am the mother to a soldier and I know the entire family sacrifices.
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:39 PM   #9  

Thank you ladyrider! I appreciate it!!

@akrosey49, I am in the interior. I can sometimes find good fuits & veggies at Fred Meyers or Safeway. But MAN is it expensive! gotta love AK!