General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-22-2014, 08:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Default Bikini to burkini, what's your ideal swimwear?

I love swimming, but hate shopping for swimwear. Anything less than hideous never comes in my size. I've even considered custom swimwear that costs nearly as much as my wedding gown.

This year, I decided to try my hand at making my perfect swimsuit (or if not perfect, as good as anything I've ever been able to buy).

I ordered a convertible, underwire swimsuit bra frome Onestopplus. The straps are detachable and can be attached at different points for different suit strap configurations. This way I don't have to build a bra into my suit.

I started looking at online images of swimwear for ideas. My first search (using the search terms "modest swimwear") and found everything from navel-covering 50's style bikinis to longsleeved burkinis for muslim ladies (think full scuba gear without the mask and with a dress over the top of it all).

I did like some of the short sleeved, knee-length (just above, or just below) swim dresses.

It's not about religion for me, I just like to have my upper arms and thighs covered. I don't mind a low-cut suit, because I actually like my boobs and even my neck and shoulders. Heck I'd even rather bare my midriff than my batwings.

I saw a cute plus size bikini once in the early 90's in a plus size fashion magazine. It had a cropped lycra, short sleeve t-shirt with a short-but-not-too-short pleated swimskirt that just covered the navel, but barely (and I think it had suspenders). I would have bought it if it had come in deep shades of navy or royal blue rather than dayglo orange and pink, and if the pricetag weren't $350.

I'd like to make a suit that's flattering, comfortable, and covering without looking too strange.
Shorts sleevers probably won't work, but cap sleeves might. Knee length may be too long, but I think I can get away with mid-thigh.

Hopefully my sewing and design skills are up to the task of making something presentable.

Last edited by kaplods; 03-24-2014 at 01:12 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'7"

I like one pieces and then wearing board shorts that are more like shortie shorts. My arms are okay but my thighs have stretch marks that I am just not comfortable showing.
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:47 PM   #3  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

The tops of my thighs are my worst problem when wearing a swimsuit. I have 2 one pieces that have little skirts attached, but they don't cover it all - they just skim the top of my thigh. I'd never wear a suit with just regular leg openings. Just. can't.

I like a one piece suit, though. That's showing enough skin for me. I'm not thrilled about my thighs and arms either, but I'm working on them and they're much better than they were. I like the look of a sarong skirt over a suit when not in the water.
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:04 PM   #4  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Its my bum and thighs i don't like showing off but i don't think my situation could be improved by any other version of swimsuit.

I think it could be a good idea for you to try the mid thigh suit. But are you still going to use the usual swimwear stretch fabric?

I think sleeves could be ok too. and if you don't mind exposing your belly, then why not try a top to just below the bust and shorts to mid thigh and around the hips.

I don't think a skirt is a particularly great idea, unless you have it as a skirt over shorts. This is a style that women wear in some sports already.

The neckline for the top should be wide and low. And low at the back as well.

You could also have the shorts part right down to below the knee like the yoga pants. In fact you could probably try adapting a yoga /gym outfit or using it as a pattern.

The sort of fabric you want should have a high elastane content. Also known as lycra or spandex.

If print were an option, i'd go for a busy print.

I"m a sewer by the way but i have still a lot to learn and i'm trying to teach myself pattern making too.

Make sure you line it all in the right parts.

I don't know how you'd go at figuring out a pattern without one to start from unless you buy one from a sewing shop.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:46 AM   #5  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

I've only owned one swimsuit in my life and I bought it a year ago or so just for the hot tub....a long time ago I borrowed a swimsuit from my SIL and never gave it back...I liked it, it was an athletic-style swimsuit and I used it for water aerobics...now it's just way too big, I tried it on last year and it was so indecently big that I couldn't wear it in public...so I had to buy something else

I bought from the mix n match section at fred Meyers...I bought a boy-cut black swim shorts and a black polka dot top that covers my stomach...it ties behind my neck and provides decent bra support but not enough where I could play water sports or anything...it looks good and i'm covered enough...

I actually tried on a yellow bikini last year when I was shopping and didn't look horrible...my DH thought I looked fantastic lol....but I myself was not comfortable enough in that to wear it in public so I didn't buy it...
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:36 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I have chipmunk-cheek-like bulges at the top of my inner thighs. I've always had them, even when I was literally underweight and my tummy was super slim. So, I bought one of the one-piece swimsuits with an attached skirt and it does a good job of covering up the bulges.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:06 AM   #7  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I have not been in water since my teenage years. A couple of years ago, I found myself yearning to get in the water with my grandkids at a water park. I always felt like I was too big to be in public in a bathing suit. Now, I am embarrassed to show all my hanging bits.

Even though it will be expensive, I am considering buying swim capris or shorts with a 3/4 length swim shirt.

http://hydrochic.com/chlorine-proof-...nt-piping.html or
http://hydrochic.com/land-sea-swim-capris.html

with

http://hydrochic.com/wrap-swim-shirt.html

I found a cheaper swim shirt too - http://www.koshercasual.com/Swim-Shirt-1246_1246_p.html

Last edited by time2lose; 03-24-2014 at 09:22 AM.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:19 AM   #8  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

I wore a 2 piece for the first time last year but with a mesh coverup so it didn't show off my unsavory bits. It was nice not worrying or stressing.

I had thought about making my own but it was cheaper to get the swimwear on clearance, less than 2 bucks each.

One day, I'd love to get a high-waisted bottom with regular top or a monokini since both can cover up my lower stomach. My arms and thighs are fine save for a little loose skin, doesn't bother me as much as my stomach.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:25 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I bought my first bikini last year since having my six year old. It's retro and high waisted to cover up the wrinkly mommy skin. I haven't worn it yet and try to avoid wearing bathing suits as much as possible!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:24 PM   #10  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

I had a tankini I really loved - the bottoms were shorts. I am not exactly thrilled by my thighs so that hid the parts I don't enjoy so much! I'd love to one day be comfortable with my thighs - I think at this point I'd be more comfortable showing off my stomach, even at this weight! Maybe it will fit again this year...

The shorts were like these: http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-155...rt-bottoms.jsp

I can't imagine ever wearing a bikini. Well, at least not a teeny tiny one. But I'd love to wear a proper two piece eventually

I'd get much too hot in a swim shirt or anything that covered my arms!
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:26 PM   #11  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma View Post
I have chipmunk-cheek-like bulges at the top of my inner thighs. I've always had them, even when I was literally underweight and my tummy was super slim. So, I bought one of the one-piece swimsuits with an attached skirt and it does a good job of covering up the bulges.

Oh my gosh, this! I didn't see this before I posted but this is exactly my issue. I just hope it goes away with a little hard work.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:53 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattience View Post
Its my bum and thighs i don't like showing off but i don't think my situation could be improved by any other version of swimsuit.

I think it could be a good idea for you to try the mid thigh suit. But are you still going to use the usual swimwear stretch fabric?

I think sleeves could be ok too. and if you don't mind exposing your belly, then why not try a top to just below the bust and shorts to mid thigh and around the hips.

I don't think a skirt is a particularly great idea, unless you have it as a skirt over shorts. This is a style that women wear in some sports already.

The neckline for the top should be wide and low. And low at the back as well.

You could also have the shorts part right down to below the knee like the yoga pants. In fact you could probably try adapting a yoga /gym outfit or using it as a pattern.

The sort of fabric you want should have a high elastane content. Also known as lycra or spandex.

If print were an option, i'd go for a busy print.

I"m a sewer by the way but i have still a lot to learn and i'm trying to teach myself pattern making too.

Make sure you line it all in the right parts.

I don't know how you'd go at figuring out a pattern without one to start from unless you buy one from a sewing shop.

I agree with everything you said. I actually did buy a pattern to start from. Butterick 5795.

I prefer two-piece suits, because they're easier to get into with my fibromyalgia and arthritis.

I actually own two bottoms that I feel reasonably comfortable with. One is a wideleg short in polyester/lycra (almost like short culottes) and the other is a short skirt with attached panties in nylon/lycra. Both are black. Ideally, they'd be a bit longer, but they're acceptable.

I hate the top (an unflattering tank) because it has no support and the hem falls at the widest part of my belly (the humpty dumpty look). It was my hatred of the top that inspired me to try to make something more flattering. If the top turns out well, I will use my existing bottoms as a pattern.

I bought three different fabrics to experiment with. Two solids (black and burgundy) in poly/lycra and a print (it is kind of busy with splashes of neon colors on a black background) in nylon/lycra.

I think I'm going to make a longish A-line tank with "cold shoulder" sleeves - really just 3-4" wide tubes of fabric to cover the problem area of my upper arms. I probably wouldn't even have to attach the sleeves to the suit.

Ideally, I'd like to have 2-3 mix and match sets, so I can swim every day without having to get into a damp suit.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:07 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma View Post
I have those bulges too, not only on my inner thighs, but also on my upper arms. One of the arm bulges is actually a "fatty tumor" (encapsulated scar tissue) from where the seat belt cut into my arm in a car accident about 25 years ago.

Ironically it's the scarred arm that bothers me the most. The rest is "just fat," and I'm ok with that. Even though no one else would probably be able to tell the difference between the scar lump and the fat lumps, I know the difference. Body image is a weird thing.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:14 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2lose View Post
I have not been in water since my teenage years. A couple of years ago, I found myself yearning to get in the water with my grandkids at a water park. I always felt like I was too big to be in public in a bathing suit. Now, I am embarrassed to show all my hanging bits.

Even though it will be expensive, I am considering buying swim capris or shorts with a 3/4 length swim shirt.

http://hydrochic.com/chlorine-proof-...nt-piping.html or
http://hydrochic.com/land-sea-swim-capris.html

with

http://hydrochic.com/wrap-swim-shirt.html

I found a cheaper swim shirt too - http://www.koshercasual.com/Swim-Shirt-1246_1246_p.html

I love hidrochic suits.

Sanctuarie is another neat brand. It's a very small custom-clothing company, but they have a cool website (sanctuarie-net.stores.yahoo.net) also has nice suits and you can customize the length of bottoms.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:31 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Some ideas: swimsuitsforall.com
theswimmall.com I like the aquafitness unitard and when I used to teach aquafit I just wore spandex sport shorts mid thigh under my regular swim suit which is a cheaper version of the unitard. I also wore a little lycra swim shirt (like surfers use) if I didn't feel there was enough coverage up top. Not that I was ever really big, but we had a dress code for instructors so there wouldn't be any 'wardrobe malfunctions' or 'sneak peeks.'
I sew my own spandex/lycra shorts for cheap and they don't have to be lined if worn with your 1 piece swimsuit.
Liana

canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote