Old 03-23-2014, 07:02 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 214/163/150

Height: 5'6" (a little less)

Question How do you describe how you're losing to nosy people?

It's not a secret that I've lost a lot of weight quickly to others when they haven't seen me in a few months (or more). I really want to avoid the talk of "how" I'm losing with most people, because as you all know, the perception of IP tends to be controversial (low calorie, low carb, buying the food, losing "too fast" etc.). BUT, they will ask, and I am *not* a liar by nature, so wonder if anyone has come up with a creative way of describing the "how" to the nosy people who want to know what you're doing to lose.

For now all I've come up with is, "I'm just being very strict and healthy with what I eat". Any other suggestions?
Sheriously is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:30 AM   #2  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

You could say, if i thought you needed to know i would tell you. With a smile.

Last edited by Pattience; 03-23-2014 at 07:30 AM.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:37 AM   #3  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Sheriously - I like your answer, and it should shut people up.

The other one I use is "I'm following my doctor's recommendations to lose weight." Although I have been tempted to say "Meth and Cheetos." But I'm evil!

You have to figure out how much you are willing to share and to whom. Some people I've talked to are truly interested and listen to what I'm doing and ask questions. Other people just assume once they hear "low carb" that it's an Atkins type diet.

I've found for the people I see only occasionally and who I know are just asking so they can be critical of whatever I'm doing that just saying "I'm watching what I eat" and then changing the subject works. If they persist, I tell them "you are really making me uncomfortable, can we talk about something else?"
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:13 AM   #4  

Now that it is obvious to so many how good I look and also how evident it is that I feel much better, I am more honest about it. It has taken me over a year to get to this point, and when I was losing the fastest I don't think it was quite as dramatic, so there never seems to be concerns about how fast I lost. I get more reactions now that they want to learn more about it.
goldilocksinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:14 AM   #5  

I actually get more concern that folks think I should not lose any more weight. I try to be very vague on what my goal is, because to a person (even others I know on IP) they feel I am good now. My doctor is okay with my goal, but does not want me to go lower.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:15 AM   #6  
Started IP 04/22/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilocksinct View Post
Now that it is obvious to so many how good I look and also how evident it is that I feel much better, I am more honest about it. It has taken me over a year to get to this point, and when I was losing the fastest I don't think it was quite as dramatic, so there never seems to be concerns about how fast I lost. I get more reactions now that they want to learn more about it.
Wow - you are doing great! Very impressive losses!
Old 03-23-2014, 08:29 AM   #7  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

It worked for me to tell folks, "After my last doctor's visit, I joined a gym," with a telling laugh as if I'd answered their question.

It was true - although the statement contained no information of real value. I found that people didn't want to probe into what I did at the gym; they were quite ready to probe into my eating habits and current or future weight.
BillBlueEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:37 AM   #8  
Started IP 04/22/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
It worked for me to tell folks, "After my last doctor's visit, I joined a gym," with a telling laugh as if I'd answered their question.

It was true - although the statement contained no information of real value. I found that people didn't want to probe into what I did at the gym; they were quite ready to probe into my eating habits and current or future weight.
I like it Bill! I may add that to my cycle of answers.

I actually had someone ask me "wouldn't it have been easier to have a gastric bypass?" WTF??? I just said no, it wouldn't have been easier. That type of question makes me crazy(ier).
Old 03-23-2014, 08:40 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/137.5/140

Height: 5-4

I say lots of vegetables and lean meats.
drd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:55 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by drd1961 View Post
I say lots of vegetables and lean meats.
I also describe the diet that way, and people are much more receptive that is "legitimate".
Old 03-23-2014, 09:00 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

I say, average protein, low fat, and low carb.
Slipfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:29 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 190/137.5/140

Height: 5-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilocksinct View Post
I also describe the diet that way, and people are much more receptive that is "legitimate".
Yes, and then they say, you don't get anything else? No treats, to which I tell them how toxic sugar is and how addictive it is. I have slowly won my husband over. It was unbelievable how disciplined he was on our trip.
drd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:47 AM   #13  
Me back on the list!

S/C/G: 220/177/135

Height: 5'5"

Default I'm Choosing to Eat Healthy!

I go into a brief explanation that I have eliminated processed foods, sugar, etc. I have increased my lean, healthy proteins and eat lots, and lots of vegetables.

For the ones that are truly willing to change their habits, I will continue, but for most, when they hear "healthy lifestyle", that seems to satifsfy them.

I think ultimately everyone knows what they are supposed to be eating, whether they are ready to trade in the "Meth and Cheetos" is another story.
bluegingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:50 AM   #14  
Me back on the list!

S/C/G: 220/177/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
I actually had someone ask me "wouldn't it have been easier to have a gastric bypass?" WTF??? I just said no, it wouldn't have been easier. That type of question makes me crazy(ier).
I find it so interesting what people feel they are allowed to say! How dare someone imply that it would be easier to have major surgery than to introduce healthy eating habits!
bluegingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:59 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 282/166/170

Height: 5.6

Ruthann - lol on "meth and Cheetos"

I'm a social worker, and do therapy with teens, children and families. I have had parent's ask, mostly mother's, or comment that I have lost weight. Last week a mom said that she was part of a group I lead last fall and it has "really bugging" her and wanted to ask about my weigh loss and what I have been doing. I just briefly explained I found a program that worked for me and exercise. My coach gave me some brochures I can just give if people want more. I just redirect them to look up on line. In my area coaches have been charging fees to join so I just warn people to be careful and that the clinic in use doesn't.

I don't focus on the number and when people who are not close ask I ignore or just say I don't focus on that.
Jenny38 is offline   Reply With Quote