Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-08-2014, 02:45 PM   #1  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Default New Rules of Weight Lifting! (2014)

I did see a few old threads, but I thought I could start a new one for the new year

Last year I bought the book and had such good intentions of actually doing it.

Well that didn't happen.

I still am not sure how to even begin. I am intimidated by the free weight area (although there was a lil ol' blue haired lady in there the other day that was kicking ***, I should have jumped at the chance to join her!)

I have no idea what I am doing for the most part... I am sure that I will make a fool of myself, and I go to the cheap gym so there are no trainers

Has anyone finished this and have any tips and advice?

Is anyone starting this out and need a place to keep accountable, coz that's what I plan to do here!

I have been considering getting up at the ungodly hour of 4 am one day just to go the gym in hopes that I'll have the place to myself to experiment and make a fool of myself when no one is looking!
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:02 PM   #2  
Level 5 Vegan

S/C/G: 289/171/140

Height: 5'4"

I just put the book in my Amazon cart! I am also very intimidated by the free weight area of my gym, so I'll either go late or early (when it's empty) until I get comfortable.
PUPMOM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

I did about a month last year and really want to get back into it, I just wasn't pleased with my weight loss during the time. I'm hoping to start in the summer.

I don't know if either of you have facebook but there are 2 facebook groups dedicated to all the different New Rules books and there's a ton of information there. Those ladies know what they are talking about and are always willing to answer questions. They also have videos on how to properly do a lot of the more complicated moves which I found helpful.
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 183/ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Silverfire I feel like we both have similar exercise plans (I also posted in your C25k thread). I bought New Rules of Weightlifting for women last year and plan to complete the first work out tomorrow morning. I have never lifted weights before so I will see how it goes as I am going to read the workout over tonight. I have weights in my basement so luckily I don't have to worry about other people while I am learning.

And ugh 4am!whatever it takes but wow that is early
Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:07 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

I lovethe book! And the weight lifting. You won't lose weight, not really, but will get insane results if you stick with it. If free weights intimidate you, look up Body By You. I only lift heavy now, and am still increasing on a regular basis. And FWIW....I am currently eating 2500 calories, more or less maintaining with very small loses ( like half pound a week after a huge gain when I first started) weigh 225.... But fit in loose size 14's. Not many people my weight and height can claim that. Program works...heck, it rocks!

Last edited by zoesmom; 01-08-2014 at 09:09 PM.
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:36 AM   #6  

Height: 5'8"

I started New Rules of Lifting for Women couple of years ago, but unfortunately injured myself whilst squatting and so I had to stop. Then I was told that perhaps the New Rules of Lifting for Abs was better, as it was aimed at strengthening the core. I started that one and injured myself deadlifting. This time it was a bit worse and I had to go see a doctor. It wasn't serious, but it did make me realize that I need to do things a bit differently.

Now, it wasn't the books' fault. It's my personality. In my mind, it was more important to add more weights and move the weights from point A to B rather than focus on my form and move in a controlled manner.

I kind of liked the books and there were couple of exercises I really liked and doing the supersets was really effective. I just don't think I'll go back to doing them and have now moved onto Bret Contreras' books. But that's just me, and I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy the workouts! Just don't be like me and keep it safe :-) Oh, and there are a lot of videos and animations on the web on how to perform each exercise, in case the illustrations in the book aren't enough. No need to be scared of the free weights.
SparklyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:11 AM   #7  

I think I am more intimidated by all the beefy boys in the free weight area more than the weights themselves lol. There are so many of them, and they are all so BEEFY!!! And of course because it is the start of the year there are twice as many people in there as usual....

Sparklybunny - Sounds like something I would do... go to hard to fast and hurt myself (kinda like I already did a little! lol, I got a little crazy on the rowing machine and pulled something in my arm! It's already much better today) I think I saw some of those videos and animations the last time I was preparing for this. I will have to bookmark those again.

I have found online a much easier (for me anyway) to follow log spreadsheet that I am trying to compact and print into a pocket sized booklet And started by taking photos of the each exercise page on my phone so I don't need to bring the whole book to the gym with me.

zoesmom I am glad you are happy and have had such good results! I really am looking forward to being stronger! My BF and I tried to move a couch and I got about 5 feet before I nearly dropped it on myself (It then sat in the kitchen for a few days until someone stronger could be found to help lol!!!) I will have to be more focused on measurements and how my clothes fit rather than the scale for sure!

Rated I think we have pretty similar plan in mind too, I sure hope its a good plan Lucky you to have the stuff at home to get you started, totally jealous lol! And yeah, 4am is no pick-nick but to have the whole gym to myself for a couple hours may be worth it to give me enough confidence to strut my stuff when there are other people around!!!

Changergirl I didn't know that and I am checking them out RIGHT NOW. Coz to be honest, this program is kinda confusing or is it just me??? Good luck when you decided to get back into it!

PUPMOM5 I hope it arrives quick!!!
Old 01-10-2014, 02:57 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 212.6/Ticker/137

Height: 5'5"

I did the first two parts, and have taken a break over the holidays (my gym is at the university so not reliably open). I really really love it, and the only reason I haven't started back is figuring out how to fit the longer workouts (stage 1 is short, easy to fit in) with my teaching schedule. Heavy weights feel awesome.

I also track my weights etc on an app (jefit) rather than the sheets. You can add new rules as a routine and log everything right there. I also found an app for calculating weights to load on my bars super helpful (barcalc is what i use).
dehtripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:50 PM   #9  

Changergirl- thanks for pointing out the facebook group. it looks like a good resource.

dehtripper- I am going to have to find that app because I always have my ipod at the gym and pens are hard to keep track of.

I just finished the second workout in stage 1. My body is already feeling the results I AM SORE. But the best kind of sore where I feel that I have worked hard and accomplished something.

I am okay with not losing weight as fast if my body is changing. I took some before photos in case I am discouraged in 4-8 weeks hopefully I will be able to see changes even if they are not showing up on the scale.

This time around I am really trying to limit the scales power over me.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:22 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 178/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I'm so happy to see another New Rules thread! I finished the New Rules of Lifting for Women book several months ago and am now working through The New Rules of Lifting for Life. Both programs can be initially confusing until you get into a routine of using the logs and learn the exercises. After that, you will find there is repetition in the program which makes it easier. After doing both of these programs, I feel there is an advantage to the program for women because the workouts are laid out more for you (less thinking-ha!). The other program has a nice advantage in that you design your own workouts around your own needs.

I have gotten really nice results through strength training, even if in inches and not in pounds. I'll take more muscle any day! I also work out in my garage so I don't have to worry about the intimidation factor. At this point, if I had time for the gym, I might give it a whirl simply because all of the equipment is there and I'm a social person who us getting bored out in my garage by myself.

To those of you starting, go for it!
Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:31 AM   #11  

Glad to hear that it worked well for you Moving Forward!! I'm have my log compacted and ready and I think I have a pretty good handle on how to do all the things... I am planning on doing C25K and this today, we will see how that goes
Old 01-13-2014, 11:33 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

YOU BRAVE SOUL! I've been doing heavy lifting and running for a while now and I don't do both on the same day....mostly due to time restraints though. But if I could...I dunno. I'm usually pretty wiped after one or the other. Good luck!!!!
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:01 PM   #13  

This is defiantly a trial run!! LOL I expect to sleep really well tonight!
Old 01-13-2014, 10:13 PM   #14  

Silverfire- I agree you are brave doing both weight lifting and C25K in the same day. I briefly thought about it and then decided it was better to alternate days and have one rest day per week. Let me know how it goes for you though... since I would love 2 rest days per week if it was possible.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:16 AM   #15  

LOL I totally chickened out. FAIL The gym was PACKED yesterday. Dozens of people lined up for new memberships, not a single treadmill free, iron area oozing with beefy dudes. *sigh* New Years...

C25K went great though! and I spent an extra few minutes rowing instead of the weights.

Last edited by Silverfire; 01-14-2014 at 08:17 AM.