General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:28 PM   #1  
300+ Chick

Thumbs up Fiber Counting?

Hello....I had started to keep a food journal and tracking only fiber. ...Which it keep hunger at bay.

My food staples are
wheat pastas
wheat bagels
fruit jams w fiber
plain air popcorn
Peanut butter

My non fiber
Dannon greek yogurt...(Hooked on it)

Beverages
iced coffee w sugar and milk,water, diet coke.

I was wondering if anyone else track only fiber? and seeing results...Maybe we can share our daily fiber count for accountable.

Friday...Total fiber... 52

Thanks for reading and Good luck to all.
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:14 PM   #2  
300+ Chick

Saturday Total Fiber.. 68
Old 03-01-2014, 10:23 PM   #3  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

Hi Liliann!

I, too, am counting fiber grams. I started in February, and have lost steadily since then. My doctors are ecstatic because I've lost 20 pounds since October, most of which came off in February.

I'm going to subscribe to this thread, and I will try and join you daily in the count, although, some days, I just eat high fiber but don't necessarily know exactly how much a day I take in- usually from 30-50 grams.

I have to say, I feel so much better on this way of life than I ever have on any diet. I am eating much healthier, like I did when I was younger and thin. Took me long enough to just do what I did before, and ignore all the crazy diets I've subjected myself to in the past.

Good luck, and keep up the great work. This is our year, Liliann! We're going to do it and get this weight off for good.

Last edited by Steelslady; 03-01-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:49 PM   #4  
300+ Chick

SteelsLady.....Thanks for your kind comment and glad that you also doing Fiber counting...Bravo on your current losses!!! Its nature way and simple!! Keep it up!!

Updated my count..had a evening snack..So for Saturday Total Fiber = 82.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:54 AM   #5  

Hi! May I join you? Are you just counting fiber grams or are you also counting calories? A few years ago there was a diet book out called, "Full Plate Diet". If you do a search for Full Plate Living, you can click on their website. I think they are on Facebook under Full Plate Living. I have to do something to lose weight and this sounds good.
aleka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:27 PM   #6  
Going down, my way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleka View Post
Hi! May I join you? Are you just counting fiber grams or are you also counting calories? A few years ago there was a diet book out called, "Full Plate Diet". If you do a search for Full Plate Living, you can click on their website. I think they are on Facebook under Full Plate Living. I have to do something to lose weight and this sounds good.
The more the merrier! Would love to have another buddy joining us!

I'll give you a sample of my day, so you can see what I do, and perhaps Liliann can do the same:

Breakfast-

2 high fiber (Thomas' brand) English muffins
2 slices of low sodium bacon
2 eggs, fried
1 slice Kraft 2% American cheese
1 tablespoon Light Hellman's mayonaise
as much popcorn as I want, to feel pleasantly full

Lunch or Dinner some nights, when in a rush- too full for lunch most days, but if I do have it, I get have:

high fiber wrap (Joseph's brand around here)
light mayo
load that sucker up with any and all vegetables you enjoy (lettuce, tomato, pickles, olives, onions (can't eat the skins, allergic to them, but you can have them if you want!) baby spinach, beet greens, peppers- just fill it, baby!!!!!
any deli meat (3-4 ounces), can of tuna, etc that you want.
I also enjoy Kashi black bean chips- delish! or okra pieces they sell in a container at Walmart- six grams of fiber per serving
any piece of fruit
1 pack of high fiber almonds, 100 calorie pack

dinner-

high fiber salad- load it up again- I need to feel full, so I have a HUGE salad. Usually, I put in mine about 3-4 cups lettuce (you can have a mixture of greens- makes it taste different every night), half of a cucumber, 1 carrot, peeled and cut into rounds, 1/4 of a large red bell pepper, 2 ounces of cheddar cheese from a block, cut into bite size pieces, grape tomatoes, handful of dried cranberries, olives of the day (love those things, lol), oh and I enjoy CROUTONS- garlic and butter flavor, and Fat Free Catalina dressing. Make it so that YOU love and enjoy it, and change it up daily. Add some chicken or what I call "meat rolls"- slice of ham, bologna, turkey, and American cheese- roll em up, slice into rounds. Or add cottage cheese.

After I eat my salad, I just enjoy whatever I want with it- your pleasantly full by the time you eat your meal- make sure you eat enough vegetables and fruits to feel on the somewhat full side- you'll want less of whatever else you're having, I promise. I've eaten a variety of foods for dinner- if it is a highly fattening meal, I just make sure I am near stuffed before I have it with salad- then I get my "treat food" without the guilt. Most days, I have just a meat and more veggies, but some days, we want lasagna or something like it for dinner.

Things I eat on other days:
lots of popcorn- I cook mine in the microwave with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray- about 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of ICBINBS to 3-4 tablespoons of popcorn kernels. I have a microwave popcorn bowl I bought on Amazon.com to make it.

fruits and veggies- the more, the better!

High fiber breads- English muffins, bread, wraps- all high fiber, though not necessarily the wheat kind- it bothers my tummy some days, I usually get whole grain kind

high fiber pasta

100 calorie pack of almonds or any nuts

oh, and I sneak in a snack size Snicker's Bar or two daily, or something with nuts in it, for a sweet treat

If you notice- I eat a high fiber meal twice a day, with HIGH PROTEIN, too! Both of these will keep you full and happy. Some days, I splurge and while I still eat healthy, I've gone out to dinner with family and friends- buffets are my family's favorite- so I load up on salad first, then grab veggies and meat. The Chinese buffet we go to has this awesome Broccoli and Chicken- I load up on that dish- so good!

Ok, so some days I sneak in a crab rangoon or two , but usually, though, we don't eat out all the time, so it's just a "treat" meal I allow perhaps every week or two. Although, I must be honest, this diet, it's a great way of life, and honestly, I feel so good and healthy, and because I am full all the time, I am content.

I try to exercise every day, too. I have a recumbent bike that I ride 3-4 days a week. My kids gave me an awesome tablet for my birthday, so I put a bunch of sons from You Tube into a playlist called "exercise music", play that while peddling, and sometimes will play games on Facebook while I am peddling, because I am such a multi tasker, lol!

I also do stretching, toning, some yoga poses on the other days- relaxing stuff, not kill myself wrapping myself into a pretzel stuff and end up in traction.

I also try to swim at the hotel 1/2 away from us- they have a hot tub there, so we swim for about an hour and a half, and end up in the hot tub once or twice for about 15-20 minutes each time.

I also have an Ipod- I shut my bedroom door and either walk/jog in place or dance away- whatever I feel like it.

Try to do some kind of exercise in your day- but make it what YOU enjoy. If you love to jump rope or hula hoop- just do it, and have fun. Keep it enjoyable, and you're more likely to stick to it. I can't do Elliptical machines or tread mills- killer on my knee, which I have problems with because of two old injuries.

I hope this has helped give you an idea as to what I do and how it works. I am proud to say, I am now under 300 pounds- this morning, woke up at 297.4 pounds. I might need to change my ticker now.

Have a great day, and perhaps Liliann will share a daily menu with you as well. Just be creative, and eat what you love for high fiber and protein. I don't fuss about sauces on my meat- I enjoy BBQ, chinese sauces, etc- it tastes good and I feel satisfied and full. How can you beat that?
Old 03-02-2014, 01:48 PM   #7  
Going down, my way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liliann View Post
SteelsLady.....Thanks for your kind comment and glad that you also doing Fiber counting...Bravo on your current losses!!! Its nature way and simple!! Keep it up!!

Updated my count..had a evening snack..So for Saturday Total Fiber = 82.
Awe, you deserve kindness, Liliann! I am so happy you made this thread- I've been wanting to find others, too, who are doing this- nice to share ideas, recipes, as well as cheer each other on as our scales go down!

I thought of you today, as I found a jar of Polaner "Sugar Free" Seedless Blackberry Preserves. I didn't realize it was sugar free- I only use Stevia Sweet Drops and don't touch other artificial sweeteners, but I tried it anyway. Very flavorless, I must say, even for sugar free. I had it on my high fiber English Muffins- at least I got in another 6 grams of fiber anyway. I am going to go to the store today and get a regular Polaner High Fiber preserves- I am so glad you mentioned it, as I forgot I had this, but fool me got sugar free- ugh! No one else in the house will eat it, either- they hate how sugar free stuff tastes, so looks like I am ditching it.

Speaking of Polaner, I have a funny story to share with you ladies. One year for Easter, my husband went shopping for me, and I needed cherry preserves for a ham glaze. At that time, I didn't know about Polaner being high fiber, so I made my glaze, and I have to say, it was delicious- TOO delicious, as everyone filled up on the ham, saying it was the best they had ever had. Well, good thing I have two bathrooms, as you can guess, family and friends hit the bathroom several times, puzzled as I was. I mean, I always serve lots of veggies with our meals and on holidays, so at first it didn't faze me until my best friend made several trips, which never happens. The jars were still on the counter, I hadn't recycled them yet, and when I took a close look, I realized what had happened. Can you say holy *bleep*, literally? We laugh to this day over my "high fiber" ham sauce!

Also, meant to add to my above post- I vary what I eat on my high fiber English muffins. Some things I make:

English muffin Margharita pizzas- oven 350. I divide a tablespoon of olive oil amongst four high fiber English muffins (8 grams of fiber per muffin, 16 grams total right there!)- I spread the oil on the muffins, bake for about 8-10 minutes- I don't like my muffins soggy. I take one Roma tomato, slice it thin, and place on top of the muffins. I add mozzarella cheese, bake for another 8-10 minutes,or until my cheese is melted to my liking. Immediately after they come out of the oven, I add fresh basil leaves on top, let sit for two minutes. I usually eat these with a serving of Kashi Black Bean chips, another four grams of fiber, plus the tomato I think adds another gram of fiber or two- so that's around 21-22 grams of fiber in one meal.

Ham and cheese melts- same thing, coat with olive oil, cook like above, if you like it more firm and crunchy. If not, just coat anyway with oil, add ham and 2 slices of Kraft 2% American cheese divided amongst the four muffin halves. I sometimes add some Light Hellman's mayo and make it into a sandwich, sometimes adding some lettuce to it.

Bacon, egg, and cheese muffins- fry bacon, drain of grease. toast muffins (I like them sprayed with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray and cooked in the frying pan, sprayed with Pam. I usually put a plate with a heavy cup on top of them to get an even "toasting". Fry eggs to your liking, or scramble them, microwave the cheese on the muffin, add bacon and eggs. I like a little light mayo on them- delish! I usually have popcorn or Kashi Black Bean chips or fried okra (6 grams of fiber per serving, sold at Walmart- called "Nature's Harvest Okra Sea Salt").

If you're in a sweet tooth mood- toast the muffins, spread two tablespoons of crunchy (my preference) or creamy peanut butter (2 grams of fiber) amongst the four muffins, add either two tablespoons of your favorite Polaner Fruit Preserves (3 grams of fiber per tablespoon, 6 grams total). This gives you a total of 24 grams of fiber. Enjoy with fruit or any high fiber snack- sometimes, I'll eat smoked almonds, other days, whatever high fiber snack suits me.

These are just some of the things I do to eat high fiber and protein at my meals. I forgot to add in my above post- I don't count calories, just fiber, and try to get at least 40 grams per day, though some days I get around 35. Experiment with different protein and spices, being creative keeps you from getting bored. some days, I'll just have bacon, eggs, muffins, and jelly on one of the muffins. Others, I make it into a breakfast sandwich. Play around with condiments, too, and as I said before, spices. Cream cheese with some chopped up veggies is also a nice change, also butter and parmesan cheese tastes great.

Later on tonight, if I have the time, I will post my "high fiber" cookie recipes, if you're interested. I cannot believe how fast these damn cookies disappear in my house- my husband, two of my three kids, and even sister loves them. The best part is they are high in fiber (made from Quaker's High Fiber Maple Flavored or Cinnamon flavored Oatmeal and chia seeds). I can't keep them in the house................so much for my diet food, I should I say, way of life food, lol. I don't consider myself on a diet!

Oh, and when starting out on a high fiber diet, it is best to build up to it. Don't eat 50 grams tomorrow, unless you know your body can tolerate it. Some folks can go right into it without any problems, others need to slowly build up the grams so that their digestion system doesn't rebel. I'll tell you this much, you're be pretty regular in the beginning of this diet, no constipation issues over here.

Also, one more piece of advice before I end this book, lol- drink PLENTY of water. You do need it on a high fiber diet. that's a good thing, keeps us hydrated. Well, I am off to ride my recumbent bike for another hour (hopefully), and hubby wants to go swimming tonight. Fun and relaxing day, listening to music while I peddle away and play Pet Saga or Candy Crush on Facebook.

Have a great day, everyone!!!!!!
Old 03-02-2014, 04:20 PM   #8  

Thank you so much Steelslady for your welcome and posting a sample menu. Your salads sound a lot like what I make. I always put Craisins in my salads and a sprinkle of walnuts. In the summer I add about 1/2 cup of blueberries and they give it a little sweetness.

I bought a pkg. of Joseph's wraps last week and just looked at them and there are 6 g. of fiber in the ones I bought. I got them at Market Basket (I see you are also from NH). I find Market Basket has more of a selection of Joseph's products than Shaw's or Hannaford's.

Before they had the points system, WW had a Fat & Fiber Plan, where you aimed for at least 20-25g. of fiber. I plan on aiming for those numbers and increasing the amount slowly. I have an issue with my stomach where some foods don't agree with me and leave me feeling bloated and uncomfortable.

My DH & I are retired and for exercise we go to the mall and walk. We try to go Mon.-Fri., but these past couple of weeks with the snow storms and various appointments, we've only managed 1 or 2 days.

That was a funny story about the high fiber Polaner S/F jelly. I can just picture everyone running to the bathroom. I'll have to look for some. I used to love their apricot high fiber jelly and was known to eat it out of the jar. But, I can't find it anymore.

Liliann, I too am glad you started this thread, and thank you. It sounds like you're doing great. Hope you're having a good weekend.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:50 PM   #9  
300+ Chick

Aleka...Welcome.Glad that you join us....I only count fiber...I used to track calories, but was very frusrated for me..Fiber is much easy for me. You doing well ...

Steelslady...You are doing wonderful.

I had a busy day and today...Sunday Total fiber = 37.

My foods daily is pretty easy, which eating same things everyday..But I will share my menu starting on Monday night.

Have a nice night and a High Fiber Monday...
Old 03-03-2014, 01:32 PM   #10  
Going down, my way!

It was too late last night to post my menu from yesterday, as we didn't get home from swimming until 10 PM. Finished my huge salad around 11 PM, then had the rest after I cooked it. Late dinner, lol, but really strange thing about this high fiber/high protein diet- I ate my breakfast/lunch around noon time. Rode my recumbent bike for over an hour, spent time talking to hubby, went shopping at Walmart for an hour with hubby and kids, then went swimming. Shockingly, I was not hungry at all, until after swimming. Even then, it was a mild hunger- enough that I could make it home and make my salad and other food for dinner without grabbing some kind of snack. This has happened three times now since I started this diet and went swimming- usually, we are famished afterwards and have some popcorn, almonds/peanuts, or fruit for the ride home. Wow!

Also, another strange thing- usually, after I workout like I did yesterday for over two hours total, I gain anywhere between 2-4 pounds of water the next day from sore muscles. I woke up sore this morning (added five more laps up and back in the pool to my normal count), and instead of gaining anything, I lost four ounces! I know that isn't a lot of weight to lose, but usually, the scale goes the other way, not down, lol! I was happy about the loss.

Anyhow, here is my menu from yesterday:

Breakfast/Lunch:
2 High Fiber English Muffins
2 Fried Eggs
2 slices low sodium bacon
A few sprays of ICBINB (I Can't Believe it's not Butter spray) on my muffins
2 tablespoons of Polaner Sugar Free Seedless Blackberry Preserves- picked this up by mistake- bought regular Strawberry last night, as I don't do sugar free additives except for Stevia. Tossing the Blackberry, tasted really blah anyway.

Dinner-

Huge Salad- lots of lettuce, 2 oz brick cheddar cheese in bite sized pieces, red delicious apple, dried cranberries, olives, red pepper, cucumbers, croutons, with Fat Free Catalina Dressing
2 beef hot dogs
2 hot dog rolls, grilled with ICBINBS
serving of Kashi Chili Lime Black Bean Crisps- tried this for the first time last night- I prefer the Southwest BBQ flavor. I'll finish this bag off but won't buy it again. Thank goodness I picked up a few of the Southwest BBQ kind- those are yummy and take care of my chip craving.

I haven't eat anything yet today, just haven't been hungry. Doing some housework and maybe some stretching, tonight, and yoga today for exercise- not sure yet. It is freezing up here in NH- another week of this, then we'll get a break, hopefully?
Old 03-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #11  
Going down, my way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleka View Post
Thank you so much Steelslady for your welcome and posting a sample menu. Your salads sound a lot like what I make. I always put Craisins in my salads and a sprinkle of walnuts. In the summer I add about 1/2 cup of blueberries and they give it a little sweetness.

I bought a pkg. of Joseph's wraps last week and just looked at them and there are 6 g. of fiber in the ones I bought. I got them at Market Basket (I see you are also from NH). I find Market Basket has more of a selection of Joseph's products than Shaw's or Hannaford's.

Before they had the points system, WW had a Fat & Fiber Plan, where you aimed for at least 20-25g. of fiber. I plan on aiming for those numbers and increasing the amount slowly. I have an issue with my stomach where some foods don't agree with me and leave me feeling bloated and uncomfortable.

My DH & I are retired and for exercise we go to the mall and walk. We try to go Mon.-Fri., but these past couple of weeks with the snow storms and various appointments, we've only managed 1 or 2 days.

That was a funny story about the high fiber Polaner S/F jelly. I can just picture everyone running to the bathroom. I'll have to look for some. I used to love their apricot high fiber jelly and was known to eat it out of the jar. But, I can't find it anymore.
Aleka- Glad to have you aboard! I hope you have great success. So far, so good for me.

I love Market Basket- not only is their food cheaper, but I find it has more variety for dieters than Hannaford. I don't go to Shaws, way too expensive for me, lol. I like the Rochester Market Basket better than the Concord one, though- Concord's MB is way too small and doesn't have as much items there due to lack of space. It's always busy there, too- go figure!

I don't know where you live in NH, but I shop at the Concord Walmart Super Center, which has your Apricot Polaner High Fiber preserves. I got my strawberry flavor, will pick up apricot next week. I don't know if this helps you or not, but maybe a Walmart Super Center near you might have it?

Oh, and foolish me couldn't wait to order PB2 and try it. I am hearing great reviews about it online (here and other places), so I see Walden Farms has a no calorie peanut butter. I knew better than to buy it- while Walden Farms regular salad dressings and stuff is superb in taste, their "no calorie" foods leave something to be desired. Brought it home, tried a taste of it, and all I can say is, it don't taste like peanut butter to me, not even close. I might try to mix a tablespoon of it with a tablespoon of regular peanut butter to see if it tastes ok, enough so I don't waste the $4.00 I spent on that little jar. If not, another product to ditch *sigh*.

That's awesome that you and your hubby go mall walking! I've been trying to get my sister to go mall walking with me, she could benefit from the exercise (she doesn't do any at all, and is thin- go figure!). I would think she would love to go because it is comfortable at the mall- not too hot, not too cold, and there's bathrooms available, as we both have bladder issues and are both on medicine for it. So, I do my own thing, while she stays in her room downstairs, hardly moving at all during the day. She lives with my family and has lots of medical issues. I try to help her, but I have to take care of myself, know what I mean? She has three kids, and neither one will take her in or help her...............ugh! I already took care of my mother after my Dad died, not sure how I got this responsibility (as well as my family), but if she doesn't start taking better care of herself, she'll end up having a big stroke the doctor told her, instead of the mini strokes she's had in the past. She's stubborn, that one!

Anyhow, glad you're with Liliann and I on this, can't wait to hear both of you ladies' progress! Have a great day!
Old 03-03-2014, 02:45 PM   #12  

Lilliann, thank you for the welcome. It looks like you had a nice high fiber day yesterday.

Steelslady, Congratulations on your 20 lb. weight loss. That's fantastic. Did you lose all of it by counting fiber? I live right outside of Concord and that's the same Walmart where I shop. What a small world. I'll have to check out the apricot jam the next time I'm there. The Market Basket where I shop is on Ft Eddy Rd. and it's a zoo in there. I like the MB in Hooksett better than the one where we shop. I mostly use Shaw's as a convenience store as it's closer to where I live. We eat "When Pigs Fly" bread and Shaw's carries more of it.

For breakfast I had
1 slice low carb toast 2g.
peanut butter
banana

Lunch:
1 c. Progresso Black Bean Soup 12g.
6 Triscuits 3g.
2 slices cracker cut cheese

Supper will be chicken and whatever frozen veggies I have on hand and maybe rice.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:06 PM   #13  
300+ Chick

Hiya Fiber buddies...

Here is what I had so far today..I notice when am home, my fiber count is high and when am busy, its low. Today is not so busy, and aiming high.

AM
2 wheat bagels...14
4 tbsp peanut butter...4
4 tbsp Polner strawberry jam w fiber...12
3 snack size choco pudding..0

PM
1 wheat bagel...7
2 tbsp reg mayo...0
1/2c ,chopped onion...1
4 oz.canned tuna...0

Snack
5 c. air popcorn...5

Total Fiber so far...43

Not sure what I will have for dinner..Maybe a repeat that I had for lunch..and snack on air popcorn.,,,Beverages..coffee and water...Later...
Old 03-03-2014, 04:39 PM   #14  
300+ Chick

I am a daily weigher..and so far am down 14 Lbs!!!..I have a long way to go and so fiber counting is for me and enjoying this journey!!

Enjoy your evening ladies...Go High Fiber!!
Old 03-03-2014, 05:20 PM   #15  
Going down, my way!

WOOHOO LILIANN!!!!!! You go, girl!!!!! That is phenomenal!

I finally ate today- made the family their dinner, with adjustments to mine. Actually, this is my "breakfast/lunch because I wasn't hungry earlier today- no sense in forcing myself to eat when I'm not hungry (boy, THAT'S a switch).

Breakfast/Lunch:

1 large carrot, raw 2 grams
1/3 large cucumber, skin on
huge salad with lettuce, 1/4 red pepper, cut up Swiss cheese, cranberries, olives, garlic and butter croutons, and Fat Free Catalina dressing 2 grams
3 BBQ chicken drumsticks
Spring Vegetables,steamed in microwave 2 grams
1 cup Greek plain yogurt with 4 tbsp of Polaner Strawberry high fiber preserves 12 grams
1 serving of Okra chips- 6 grams

about 25 grams for breakfast/lunch

Dinner-

2 high fiber english muffins with ham and cheese and light mayo- 16 grams
1 serving Kashi southwest BBQ Black Bean chips- 4 grams
4 High Fiber cookies 15.2 grams
glass of milk

total dinner- 35.2
total for the day- 60.2

- shared some of the spring veggies (Green Giant steamables- they're ok, I guess) with hubby, trying to get rid of some stuff out of the pantry/freezer, so these were a side for me today.

I saw someone post on here somewhere that they eat Greek yogurt with preserves, so I decided to try it with the Polaner strawberry- it needed four tablespoons for me, but I have to say, it is absolutely DELICIOUS! I love it this way instead of adding just fruit to it- so good!

I'll edit this post later on after I eat my dinner, which will be much later tonight, as I am full.

Exercise- will add later when I figure out what I want to do tonight

Last edited by Steelslady; 03-04-2014 at 02:31 AM.