Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 07-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #1  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Question Wen Cleansing Conditioner Knock-Off's

I've tried Wen but just can't justify spending that outrageous amount of cash!!
I color treat my hair ( I do it myself at home ) and recently cut my long (passed my waist ) length hair to a short, Kris Jenner cut ( I LOVE it!! ). I want to help the color last longer. I've tried all the "color safe" shampoo's & conditioner's....expensive salon brands & cheap drugstore brands. They don't extend the life of the color.
I am very curious about the Wen knock-off's. I have tried L'oreal's Evercreme cleansing conditioner but, was not impressed. It made my hair feel greasy & heavy and I didn't care for the scent. I am curious about Hair One ( I believe this is available at Sally's ) and Lisa Rachael. Anyone tried these and gotten good results?
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

Post a pic of your new hair cut/style, I bet it looks great! Haven't tried any of these yet. I've been using suave's shea butter shampoo (the green suave professionals bottle), and the suave argan oil oil treatment, and my hair has never felt better. I love the smell of the argan oil.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

Would love to see the new haircut. My hairdresser is the only one who washes my hair so can't help on the other thing.
fitbyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

The new hair cut. An early birthday gift to me, I'll be 52 in a couple weeks, thought it was time for a change!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 07-21-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Very flattering !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:03 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

Nice!!!
fitbyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:10 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 257/ticker/154

Height: 5'5.5"

I don't know about the wen knock-offs, but I use Neutrogena Triple Moisture products. I have used just the triple moisture deep recovery hair mask instead of shampoo every once in a while and I'm very happy with the results. Not too expensive; I buy on drugstore.com, which is usually less than at the local store.
fadedbluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I haven't shampooed for over ten years. I co-wash (conditioner) and use apple cider vinegar as a clarifying rinse. My hair has been amazing since I cut the shampoo.

BTW, your cut looks great!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #9  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Love your new style! You wear it well!
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

You look beautiful. Your new hair really suits you.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #11  
Larry's Angel

Thank you all for your kind comments
I went and bought a bottle of Lisa Rachael cleansing conditioner & a bottle of Salon Graffix. The Lisa Rachael was $7.99 and the Salon Graffix was $5.99....so, neither broke the bank (unlike Wen, which is $20 for 6 oz ). I am going to try these and hopefully one of them will work for me. I don't have a Sally's real close to me so, haven't bought the Hair One. If these 2 don't work out, I'll order it online to try. There is also one called Ren made by Renpure, it was $9.99...so, there are several options.
I've used the Suave Professionals Almond & Shea Butter and LOVE it (smells heavenly!). Unfortunately Neutrogena Triple Moisture did nothing for my hair. My concentration is extending the life of my color. I have literally watched my color run right down the shower drain using shampoo which is why I wanted to give the cleansing conditioners a try. I'll give it a month or so and let you know how it goes

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 07-23-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #12  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

I used to dye my hair bi-weekly in high school. I had some crazy colors too. During that time, I've learned some tricks to make hairdye last.

After you dye it, condition your hair with Garnier color-safe conditioner (or similar) overnight. Do not use hot water to wash your hair because this will fade the dye. Try to use warm water only. When you wash your hair, use a color-safe shampoo on the scalp only. The less shampoo in the main body of your hair, the less it will fade.

Also, henna dyes last longer than most permanent dyes. You can find black, browns, and red.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #13  
Medifast 6/18/13

S/C/G: 255.6/see ticker/155

Height: 5'6"

I have tried the Hair One, it is good but not good as the Wen. I have been using Wen for over a year now and I buy it on EBay, always go for the 32oz size which lasts me about a month and I have very long hair. Now that you have cut yours a bottle will last you a long time. Before I started using Wen, I would get Keratin treatments about every 3 months because my hair is quite frizzy due to the humidity where I live, I have not had a keratin treatment in over a year. It is so worth the money !
becksdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:44 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 192/192/130

Height: 5'3

Hello,
I just registered because I seen this post. Great job on the weight loss Jersey Girl and love the cut.
I just tried the small trial package of Hair One this morning. My hair is short so in total I only used half of this package. I did not use any other product, which I usually do. My hair maybe a little more bouncy but, I have heard it takes more than one time before you see the full effect. Like everyone I can't afford the WEN product. (Becksdog, wish I knew who you were purchasing yours from on ebay) I am 52 and my hair has been just dead for the last year. I have a bit of natural curl but it has disappeared. No life in my hair at all. It has always been baby fine hair and not thick at all.
Thanks for great post I will be watching
pookiekaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:09 PM   #15  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

There is nothing special about WEN, it's just a silicone based conditioner. With your shorter hair you may find that silicone is too heavy now.

(My hair is past my rear)

I like these products:

http://www.amazon.com/Shea-Moisture-...G9YFFMGHFM2968

http://www.amazon.com/Shea-Moisture-...isture+shampoo

http://www.amazon.com/Shea-Moisture-...09YDFQAG92VS6K

Alternatively I would suggest you clarify your hair first, to remove all traces of silicone, then buy a .90 cent bottle of VO5 conditioner and try that. Many people have reported the same good results as they've gotten with more expensive conditioners. I'm told the kiwi clarifying conditioner is good although I prefer the strawberry champagne kiss as it has protein in it and my hair likes a little protein from time to time. I've also heard good things about this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Therapy-Blackb...VT9TK5JBGYKM1M

ETA: One more thing to remember. If you are used to silicone based conditioners, you will find that non-silicone conditioners will seem runny. This is ok, good even. Silicone DOES have it's place in hair care, but it can also be very dangerous to your hair. (Reason being that silicone can coat and seal the hair shafts so well that no moisture gets in to the hair where it needs to be, and so the hairs get brittle and dry. Silicone is good at masking this issue because it puts a shiny, plastic-y coating over the hair that gives it a false appearance of health. Then, when you clarify your hair and no longer use silicones you'll find dry, frizzy, straw hair. If you are going to use silicones it is best to use only water soluble silicones.

Last edited by MauiKai; 03-17-2014 at 03:17 PM.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote