Old 03-16-2014, 10:03 AM   #1  
Started IP Feb. '04

S/C/G: 316.8/303.8/180

Height: 5'6''

Default Cauliflower Rice - toppings?

I am excited about trying the Cauliflower rice. I have to admit I was always more of a pasta fan than rice fan. One of the dishes I loved with rice was Red Beans which I cannot have on p1. What are some ways that you top your rice?
rmcjaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:30 AM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcjaug View Post
I am excited about trying the Cauliflower rice. I have to admit I was always more of a pasta fan than rice fan. One of the dishes I loved with rice was Red Beans which I cannot have on p1. What are some ways that you top your rice?
Stir fried veggies
Buffalo chicken breast strips
I also make Spanish caulirice (using spices) and serve with carnitas
Roast beef & juices
Get creative!
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:39 AM   #3  
Started IP Feb. '04

Mmmmm...buffalo chicken. Great idea. That is one of my faves. Thanks!
Old 03-16-2014, 12:22 PM   #4  
Started IP 12/26/13

S/C/G: 205.6/171.2/145

Height: 5'6"

I've pinned a fabulous "shrimp fried rice" recipe on Pinterest that so good. Not "fried" and not "rice", of course, but it tastes just like it. My kids love it. It's super basic...sautee garlic and red bell peppers. Add in the cauliflower. Cook it until it's a light brown. Add in the prawns (I just precook them). Add a little bit of soy sauce (I use reduced sodium) to taste. I also add some garlic powder for extra seasoning. Then you push it all to one side of your pan and cook up an egg in the same pan (scramble), then combine it all together. We make it often. You can also use chicken if you'd rather.

I've experimented a lot with the cauliflower rice, since it's so easy to make. I've used chicken broth and chicken pieces with different veggies (mushroom, peppers, etc) and various seasonings. My family always eats it up. My son doesn't like cauliflower cooked normally, but loves it as rice.
jendilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:40 PM   #5  
Started IP on 3/1/2014

S/C/G: 237.5/207.5/140

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jendilly View Post
I've pinned a fabulous "shrimp fried rice" recipe on Pinterest that so good. Not "fried" and not "rice", of course, but it tastes just like it. My kids love it. It's super basic...sautee garlic and red bell peppers. Add in the cauliflower. Cook it until it's a light brown. Add in the prawns (I just precook them). Add a little bit of soy sauce (I use reduced sodium) to taste. I also add some garlic powder for extra seasoning. Then you push it all to one side of your pan and cook up an egg in the same pan (scramble), then combine it all together. We make it often. You can also use chicken if you'd rather.

I've experimented a lot with the cauliflower rice, since it's so easy to make. I've used chicken broth and chicken pieces with different veggies (mushroom, peppers, etc) and various seasonings. My family always eats it up. My son doesn't like cauliflower cooked normally, but loves it as rice.
How do you measure your "rice"? Do you measure out the raw florets first and then put it into the food processor to make "rice", or do you measure it after it's made into "rice" in the food processor?

The reason I ask is because I just threw the cauliflower into the food processor first (without measuring) and then filled 2 actual measuring cups of "rice" and it was sooooo much!
karkrazy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:34 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

You really have to measure the flowerets out first. 2 cups of tiny shredded cauliflower would be WAYYYY too much!

I measure out all the cups that come from the cauliflower and then after I shred, I divide into that many servings (I usually have a one cup equivalent of "rice" and then another cup of veggies along with it, so I make my serving sizes for one cup equivelents.)
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:33 PM   #7  
Started IP on 3/1/2014

S/C/G: 237.5/207.5/140

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUS View Post
You really have to measure the flowerets out first. 2 cups of tiny shredded cauliflower would be WAYYYY too much!

I measure out all the cups that come from the cauliflower and then after I shred, I divide into that many servings (I usually have a one cup equivalent of "rice" and then another cup of veggies along with it, so I make my serving sizes for one cup equivelents.)
That makes so much more sense than the way I did it! Thanks!
karkrazy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:54 PM   #8  
AmberLS

S/C/G: High 298, IP-250/182/165

Height: 5ft 5in

Wow how did I not discover this alternative sooner. I made cauliflower rice for lunch with peppers and a little cabbage added soy sauce and I felt like I was eating Chinese! Besides all the great support I find here the new ideas are fantastic. Next weekend I'm trying the muffins.
AmberLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:15 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 185/180/135

Height: 5'2

Are you into curry?
My husband and I sometimes make chicken curry to top our Cauli rice.
We've experimented with various brands of curry that are also low carb, the "Kitchens of India Paste for Butter Chicken Curry" is by far the best one.
TofuSprinkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:01 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 321/291/215

Height: 5'8"

I made chicken fajitas and served it over the rice. I also make a chicken fried rice with soy sauce and ginger.
CarbLover443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:27 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 170/163/135

Height: 5'4"

Sometimes if I am just having the cauliflower rice on its own I use franks red hot buffalo sauce as a topper... that is my absolute FAVORITE way to eat it! Another condiment option is soy sauce, I use Braggs liquid aminos. You could also make some honey mustard sauce to put on top of it. Sometimes I use popcorn seasonings to flavor the "rice" they come in a whole bunch of flavors! If I make orange chicken I will put the chicken on top. Another great topper is seasoned ground beef. Hope you find something that is tasty for you
jojobananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:32 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 259.2/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

The other night I stir fried some extra firm tofu with peppers. It was delish. I actually took about 2 ounces of extra soft tofu and blended it into the caulirice. It made it even more like mashed potatoes because it acted as a glue and held the rice all together!
ems70508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:36 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 236/236/170

Height: 5'9"

Last night I made Cauliflower rice with asparagus and chicken with soy sauce. I felt like I was eating a rice bowl. Yummy. I was barely able to get my 2 cups because the family loves cauli rice. Go figure, they usually won't touch rice, but now they are hooked. IP is making healthier kids that's for sure.
Staceyhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:15 PM   #14  
Started IP Alt 1/29/14

S/C/G: 234/145/145

Height: 5'4"

I too have made the Shrimp "fried" rice from pinterest but, opted to use diced ham instead since we eat alot of chicken and my 14 month old is allergic to shrimp. It was soooo good. It felt like eatting "real" food.
Johnsdeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:07 PM   #15  
Started IP Feb. '04

Loving these ideas. I did the buffalo chicken over it and liked it, although it was a bit salty. Looking forward to a Chinese version next! Thanks so much for the ideas!