Goal! Have you reached your goal? Share your success story and celebrate your victory!

Old 03-15-2014, 09:00 PM   #1  
Making it a lifestyle!

Height: 5'9.5"

Default 1 year, 60 lbs gone and truly healthy!

Hello everyone, I'm Chronostasis and I'm a college student.
I'm not at my TRUE goal weight yet, but I'm close and I want to write a quick post to celebrate an anniversary for me.

March 15, 2013, I accidentally stumbled upon the fact that eating gluten causes DRASTIC reactions in me. I'd been sick and miserable for years, with my main complaints being nearly daily debilitating headaches and chronic fatigue, for both of which doctors found no explanation. The full list of my gluten symptoms could be paragraphs long (sometime soon I'll write them out in my full goal post!) Starting that very day - March 15, 2013 - I started eating gluten-free and have not intentionally 'cheated' once since then (there have been some accidental glutenings, which are easy to recognize by the swift vengeance wreaked on my body).

Over the course of one year, I've lost approximately 60 lbs, ~202+ lbs -> 142/143 (scale needs new batteries, don't have an exact weight yet.)
This corresponds to a clothing size change of: size L/XL shirts -> size S shirts; size 14+ (US) pants -> size 4/6 (US) pants
A change in BMI of: ~29.8 (edging the line on "obese"!) -> 21.1 (in the middle of the "healthy" category)
And qualitatively, from: looking like a significantly overweight teen -> looking like a normal-weight teen.

Even more importantly, my fitness has improved by leaps and bounds. Last spring I probably couldn't run a quarter of a mile and passionately hated every second of it. A friend hit me up in early April, asking if I wanted to do a TRIATHLON with her that summer. Against my better judgement, I said yes! I trained hard and July 2013, I COMPLETED that triathlon with her - in fifth place for my age group, no less. I also found out that I actually really enjoy running.

Go me!

I'm definitely looking forward to another year of it! Especially this summer - good food, trying out new gluten-free recipes and old favorites in an actual kitchen (here at college I only have a microwave...), and most of all, getting out and improving my fitness again! I don't know yet what this year's summer fitness goal will be - another triathlon? Parkour/free-running? Something else? Whatever it is, it'll be FUN.

P.S. -
I have not been tested for celiac disease because it would require months of regularly eating gluten - a "gluten challenge," as it is called in the celiac community (as well as an expensive surgical procedure). I am unwilling to endure months of misery again for an 'official' recognition of my disease. I may simply be gluten-intolerant, but based on my individual symptoms/health history and talking with diagnosed celiacs vs. self-diagnosed gluten intolerant individuals, I believe that I do indeed have the autoimmune disorder rather than just an intolerance. In any case, a gluten-free diet spares me from daily ****.
Do I advocate gluten-free for everyone? No, not at all - I'd (metaphorically) kill to be able to eat a piece of naan or a slice of pizza without being sick for a week. But I encourage you to figure out what works best for you, because you CAN do it once you figure that out! I had tried before to lose weight, never with any success. Once I found my problem, it was amazing how easy weight loss could be at times (although I certainly will not deny it was also miserable at times).

You can see a rough graph of my weight loss here (sporadically updated): http://fatsecret.com/Default.aspx?pa=memh&id=9174794. Hardly strictly linear, as you can see. Generally, periods of weight loss followed by longer 'maintenance' periods - I haven't been in weight loss mode ALL year, and sometimes I simply plateaued for a month and then saw an overnight drop.

I would eventually like to lose a few more pounds (5-10 lbs), but right now I'm focusing on maintaining until it's easier for me to lose weight again. I already look pretty great at the weight I am now, y'know

Pics may come in my true goal post sometime soon!

Last edited by Chronostasis; 03-15-2014 at 09:01 PM.
Chronostasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 161/147/130

Height: 5'5.5"

Congratulations!!
kidjng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

Fantastic!
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/192/120

Height: 5'2

Awesome, congratulations
ILoveVegetables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:27 AM   #5  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronostasis View Post

P.S. -
I have not been tested for celiac disease because it would require months of regularly eating gluten - a "gluten challenge," as it is called in the celiac community (as well as an expensive surgical procedure). I am unwilling to endure months of misery again for an 'official' recognition of my disease. I may simply be gluten-intolerant, but based on my individual symptoms/health history and talking with diagnosed celiacs vs. self-diagnosed gluten intolerant individuals, I believe that I do indeed have the autoimmune disorder rather than just an intolerance. In any case, a gluten-free diet spares me from daily ****.
Do I advocate gluten-free for everyone? No, not at all - I'd (metaphorically) kill to be able to eat a piece of naan or a slice of pizza without being sick for a week. But I encourage you to figure out what works best for you, because you CAN do it once you figure that out! I had tried before to lose weight, never with any success. Once I found my problem, it was amazing how easy weight loss could be at times (although I certainly will not deny it was also miserable at times).
I feel your pain. Congrats on the weight loss and I'm glad you figured out what helps you.
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:47 AM   #6  
300+ Chick

Awesome!!
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:50 PM   #7  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

What a great story! Thanks for sharing about your marvelous accomplishment!
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:53 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Congratulations !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:23 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 246 / 246 / 180

Height: 5'6

Inspirational as I want to lose around 60lbs!!! Thanks for sharing
chunkyguacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:04 PM   #10  

Height: 5'9"

Congratulations!!!!
I would love for you to post some pics because you are a little taller than me and I would like to see what that weight looks like on you. I am not sure what I am actually "supposed" to weigh. It is impossible for me to weigh that little, I think. Maybe more like 150-160?
Your post really, really made me want some naan, too, by the way.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:45 PM   #11  

Height: 5'7"

Brandis,
Check out this site.
http://www.mybodygallery.com/index.html
Real women posted what their bodies look like at heights and weights.
Of course we all are shaped differently but it gives you an idea.
CalCounter1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:11 PM   #12  
www.EscapeFromFatCity.com

S/C/G: 190/184.5/???

Height: 5'7"

Congratulations! It's wonderful that you found an eating plan that works for you and improves your health so drastically. Your story is a great example of what we're all looking for here. Thanks for sharing!
EscapeKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:12 AM   #13  
Sunshine!

S/C/G: 315/246/180

Height: 6' 0"

That's truly amazing and gives me lots of hope. Good for you!
JeanniesPlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:11 AM   #14  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

Height: 5'1"

Yes Yes Yes Chrono! I am at the other end of the spectum age wise,(53+) but like you I finally said goodbye to a myriad of health related issues by ridding my life of gluten and hidden sugars. I have lost over 40 pounds, I do not feel deprived b/c I eat fresh fruits and veggies, abd like you I can now safely exercise.
lucindaarrowspark is offline   Reply With Quote