General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-15-2014, 10:57 PM   #1  

Unhappy Should I cancel this job interview?

Please any advice or opinions...

I have been job searching to go back to work after a year off.
I applied for a job advertised to be in my county and received a call back.
The interviewer talked to me a for a few minutes at which point she said I would need to travel at least once a week (this position is only a 2 day a week position) to XYZ hospital. I knew XYZ hospital was out of my area, and I do not mind the travel, so I said that would be fine.

I found out afterwards through my own google search that hospital XYZ is in the heart of the murder capital of the country...I thought it was further south, not in the city its in...

Now some of you will know which city I'm talking about, some won't, the point is, after some thought and google-ing the surrounding area and workers at that hospital...I do NOT want to go there. Am I being a baby? Maybe. I don't care. The point is I will not be traveling there.

The interview is scheduled for 9am Tuesday morning. I'm really upset because this is a great "get my foot in the door" position and I don't know why the office in our county wants to send me a hour away to this hospital when there are many more closer hospitals in our county.

I am torn about canceling, so I don't waste their time and going so they have a chance to meet me, but ultimately turning the job down, and of course not telling them that I knew I wasn't taking it before showing up. Then of course I still don't know the pay being offered. It might be really good...and would I be ok with going into one of the most dangerous cities in the country for it...???

I'm looking for the best decision career wise...if I don't go, there is no other reason for me to go in and at least market myself...

What should I do????
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:25 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Well Chicago is listed as the murder capital but I am going to say I think any high crime city would be similar advice.

I've been to Baltimore, which has a bad reputation and was probably listed as the murder capital at one point. I have also been to one of the major hospitals in Baltimore. The employees had a special parking garage and there was plenty security in and around the hospital. I never felt unsafe in the city itself but I also in areas where it wasn't too residential (and I even walked at night). I've also been to or lived around dangerous neighborhoods and I also grew up in a high crime neighborhood (although murder wasn't common). Wherever you see poverty, you will see crime especially in densely populated areas.

If I were you, would I do it? Totally. My husband and I seriously considered moving to Baltimore and I would've been working in the heart of the city. I kind of have a special love for it. Does it have a bad reputation? Sure but most murders aren't random, they are linked to other aspects of crime. I also looked at the list of cities that have the most murders per year and I've been to most of them. Many have bad areas but the normal person, unless you choose to live there won't be in the highest crime areas.

So my advice is that it sounds like a great opportunity and I wouldn't pass on it lightly. You can check out the hospital, ask about neighborhood crime, parking safety, etc.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/192/120

Height: 5'2

Congratulations on getting a call back. Having just been in the job searching boat myself, I know it can sometimes be a tiresome process. Just my two cents on this matter.

I think you should go for the interview. Job interviews aren't only for the company to ask questions and select their employees, they're also there for the applicants to get a feel of the company, the kind of work they'd be doing and see if it's a fit for them. I would suggest going for the interview and finding out what kind of salary you'd be getting and all, but also bring up your concerns about the location. It wouldn't hurt to ask about legitimate concerns you have regarding the job. Maybe while you're there you can take the opportunity to casually speak to other employees about it as well.

After the interview, the hospital can choose to extend an offer of employment to you. If your doubts aren't assuaged by your conversation with the interviewer and employees, you can always turn it down. No company takes it personally if someone turns down an offer, so don't worry about that.

So in a nutshell, I think you should go for the interview with an open mind, but if you're ultimately not comfortable with it, turn it down. No one will have any hard feelings.

Good luck.
ILoveVegetables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:44 PM   #4  

Thank you both. Nelie, I think this city was number 1 in 2011...followed by:
2. Detroit
3. Flint, Mich.
4. St. Louis, Mo.
5. Oakland, Calif.

I guess it has since been dethroned..

I guess I will go, as I am curious about the company and salary of course. The position itself sounded very interesting. I wonder if the going to hospital in bad city has been a deal breaker for many people since she basically laid that out for me on the phone right a way.

Its a good point that I should discuss my concerns with them. If I get the run around or the blow off on the issue, I will likely see that as red flag and I can always turn down the position if offered it.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:46 PM   #5  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

I think you should go to the interview and raise your concerns and discuss it fully. And ask for time to think about it if you are still unsure.

I think this is an issue that only you can make for yourself. But be as informed as possible. There maybe ways that you can feel and more importantly be safer.

the risks may not be as high as you believe. either way its important to feel good about what you are being asked to do for work.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:16 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'7"

I would go to the interview and raise the issue about safety in the surrounding area of the hospital. Either way doing the interview will be a good experience.
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:29 AM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

so GG, I know you don't want to spell it out but I looked it up and would've never guessed it would've been in the top for homicides but again it is a big city and many of the big cities flop around with crime rates. I've been there, my husband lived there, one of my BFFs lives there and it was another place we considered moving, although living there is a bit different because the city itself struggles and they had shut down a lot of city services, which was a huge drawback for me. I also think we probably decided that if we move, Baltimore is the furthest north we are willing to go due to cold weather.

And if it makes you feel better, you can look at something like this which lists top cities with violent crimes and it is no where near the top
http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/nei...p100dangerous/

And I also don't know if it makes you feel better but in terms of the worst cities in the US, they are no where near the most dangerous cities in the world. We are relatively cushioned.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:58 AM   #8  
Warrior Princess

I live in the "murder" capital. I would still go to the interview. I wish I knew which area because the heart of the city is the area not to be concerned about, it's the outskirts...if we're talking about the same place.

Good luck.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:49 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 222/Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

About 20 years ago I had a sales job that required regular visits to hospitals and the South Bronx was a big part of my territory. The South Bronx was MUCH worse back then than it is now. I never had any problems going to and from any of the hospitals. The people always treated me very well. During the several years I did this I didn't have any bad experiences. But I was always careful. I never wore gold jewelry (even fake gold jewelry), I always walked as if I knew where I was going. Usually I was able to park in the hospital garage and they always had good security. There was one hospital that didn't have a garage and I had to park on the street. My rule there was that I did not park in front of any abandoned buildings and I didn't park more than a few blocks away. If I couldn't find a parking space, I left. My boss was OK with this.

I'd definitely go for the interview.
annieway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:26 PM   #10  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

I thought Gary IN was the murder capital. At any rate I wouldn't let that stop me from taking a job. But you have to decide for you.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:15 PM   #11  

Update:

I called today and told them honestly that when I first spoke to them last week, that I hadn't realized hospital xyz was where it was. However I explained I researched the hospital and found out that it is where it is. They were very understanding. I must not be the only nurse with this concern. I said I willing to travel, just not there, apologized and canceled the interview. They called back bout the same position, different service area and ask me to come in next Monday for an interview for that position...its a week away so I'm nervous they can still with drawl the interview offer but excited that they still want to interview me!...so fingers crossed for next Monday.

I probably would be ok going into bad areas, because *usually* hospital workers are not targeted. Even hubby who has been to some rough places during clinicals/rotations said that hospital workers are usually liked and not bothered, BUT hubby is also 6'4" and (was) 340lbs...but he's since been working on weight loss and is now 290! As a female I am a bit more concerned.

Last edited by GlamourGirl827; 03-17-2014 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:28 AM   #12  
Cat Cuddler

S/C/G: 287/266/150

Height: 5'5"

I think it is great that you expressed your concerns.

I used to work in a dangerous area near Oakland, Ca. I stressed constantly about walking around the area and even driving to and from the freeway. Because of the crime rate, we were required to leave work before it got dark. A few nights on my way home from work, I could hear gunfire. There were drug deals, thefts, vandalism and prostitution all around the immediate area.

I tried to tell myself not to be such a big coward, that the job was a great opportunity etc. but the stress of working in this kind of area took a toll on me. I found a better opportunity in a better area and was able to perform even better because I wasn't worried about my safety.

For me, no job is worth being stressed about safety.

Best of luck to you. Please let us know how things are going.

Last edited by doingmybest; 03-18-2014 at 02:46 AM.
doingmybest is offline   Reply With Quote