Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-14-2014, 11:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/182/155

Height: 5'8

Default Have you ever been laughed at while working out?

Hi everyone,

Today I was working out, minding my own business, walking down the side of a highway… and a couple guys in a pickup truck slowed down beside me, I noticed they were filming me with an iphone in one hand and both were laughing at me, before driving away. I look in the mirror everyday and today was no different, I didn't have anything on my back...I don't think there is any logical explanation other than them making fun of me...

I considered ending my workout early but I kept on walking and finished anyway. Although this incident is insignificant, it was also humiliating, and hurtful I was wondering if anyone else has experienced something like this? What do you tell yourself to feel better?

Thank you. Have a good day/evening.
df180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/130

Height: 5'2

Omg

People can be so rude. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt and think they weren't doing something so mean, but some people are really that rude sometimes.

I started a thread awhile ago about this guy who approached me at Target when I was browsing their weights section. He looked at a cart next to me, that was not mine (it had lots of junk food in it), and then looked at me said " you know that's not going to help with your obesity right?" I felt so humiliated I just walked away.

It still stings a little now that I type it out, but people who do these things must not be good people if they feel the need to say things to people who are trying to better themselves. I have family members that make comments too, but now I just tune them out.

I'm also really glad you didn't stop your workout!!! I used to take things so badly, like run to the store and binge, now I know better. I also always remember that karma comes around!

Hope you don't have to experience that ever again, you're doing amazing, keep it up!
hhm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:07 AM   #3  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by df180 View Post
Hi everyone,

Today I was working out, minding my own business, walking down the side of a highway… and a couple guys in a pickup truck slowed down beside me, I noticed they were filming me with an iphone in one hand and both were laughing at me, before driving away. I look in the mirror everyday and today was no different, I didn't have anything on my back...I don't think there is any logical explanation other than them making fun of me...

I considered ending my workout early but I kept on walking and finished anyway. Although this incident is insignificant, it was also humiliating, and hurtful I was wondering if anyone else has experienced something like this? What do you tell yourself to feel better?

Thank you. Have a good day/evening.
Honestly, I am more worried about your safety than the hurt that these jerks caused you. To get that close to you to film you kind of frightens me. Did you get their license plate number? I would have called the cops, told them what happened, that they video taped you without your permission. To me, that's rather creepy, what they did, and is not normal. Do you know how old these guys were?

Don't let fools like this upset you. You have done fantastic with your weight loss, and ignorant idiots are out there everywhere. If it isn't people's weight, it's the color of their hair, their glasses, their teeth, etc. Even celebrities get it from fools- take a look at some comments on TMZ or Twitter- even the most beautiful actresses or handsomest men get nasty things said and done to them. There are just immature fools everywhere, though rare that something like this happens, but it does sometimes, and you just have to shrug it off. Again, I am much more concerned about your safety than anything else- you know how hard you've worked and how good you look and feel, you don't need their approval, but please please, if you see them again, get their license plate and call the cops........
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:47 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 297/182/155

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelslady View Post
Honestly, I am more worried about your safety than the hurt that these jerks caused you. To get that close to you to film you kind of frightens me. Did you get their license plate number? I would have called the cops, told them what happened, that they video taped you without your permission. To me, that's rather creepy, what they did, and is not normal. Do you know how old these guys were?

Don't let fools like this upset you. You have done fantastic with your weight loss, and ignorant idiots are out there everywhere. If it isn't people's weight, it's the color of their hair, their glasses, their teeth, etc. Even celebrities get it from fools- take a look at some comments on TMZ or Twitter- even the most beautiful actresses or handsomest men get nasty things said and done to them. There are just immature fools everywhere, though rare that something like this happens, but it does sometimes, and you just have to shrug it off. Again, I am much more concerned about your safety than anything else- you know how hard you've worked and how good you look and feel, you don't need their approval, but please please, if you see them again, get their license plate and call the cops........
Thank you, both of you.
No I didn't think of looking the license plate at the time, I sure I'm safe though. They were both in their mid 20's I would guess.
df180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:51 AM   #5  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Yes i had something similar but it was nothing to do with my weight but the colour of my bike - it was an old model and quite psychellic but i loved it anyway. These people are just image conscious and shallow. The thing is guys are more cruel than women. Guys just love to laugh at women. It boosts their weak egos and makes them feel strong and powerful.

So ignore the f*ckers. They are simply not worth a second thought from you.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:42 AM   #6  
Never Giving Up

S/C/G: Going from chubby to not

By your ticker it looks like you have lost 80 lbs. That's fantastic!

Let those two clowns laugh. Those who laugh LAST laugh BEST. Did Shakespeare say that? Whomever, it is my favorite saying.

Or like we say in NY, EFF them.
Serenity100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:06 AM   #7  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

Their actions speak to THEIR issues, not yours.

Last edited by MauiKai; 03-15-2014 at 08:30 AM.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:10 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

First of all,

This says a lot about those guys and their culture and nothing about you.

When I lived in the city, which was before lots of people had cell phones, I sometimes had young guys slow down to yell some insult at me out the car window (I specifically remember one time it was a lengthy "Mooooooo!"). And I was just walking, not power walking or anything and I never wear shorts or short skirts so I doubt there was much to attract attention. I think things like that happen a lot more often when there is more than one of them together. Like I said, it speaks volumes about them and nothing about us.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:50 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

It's unfortunate that happened, and it sucks big time. There you are minding your own business and someone puts you down for no other reason than to just be a jerk. Think of those guys, someone had to raise them to be like that, think how awful their parents are, think how small their lives must be to treat someone like that.

As women we get the brunt of abuse and at times it's harsh like this but other times it's deceiving too. Like do you ever get told by strange men on the corner to "smile honey!" I find that so annoying and belittling. As if I'm put on this earth to grace your eyesight or something. We are objectified so much in the media, airbrushed away in magazines, that men get the impression that we enjoy being scrutinized. Well, let them curl up with a magazine then because guys like that wouldn't understand real beauty if it hit them over the head.

I remember a similar instance that was very hurtful to me. I must have been much thinner back than, I'd guess around 175lbs or so. I was on vacation on a beautiful beach and I had just gone for a long swim in the ocean. When I came out of the water I lay face down in the sand just enjoying its warmth and catching my breath. To this day I can remember how good it felt and how happy I was. The beach was not very crowded and although I had some body hangups I was enjoying myself and not feeling too self conscious in a bathing suit those days, especially that moment. As I lay there basking in the sun a group of young guys walked by me and said "EWWWWW, why is that fattie showing us her a$$??? Like we wanna see that???!!!! Gross!" I pretended no to hear them but there it is, 15yrs later and I still remember it word for word.

Yea yea, sticks and stones blah blah. The truth is when someone tells you they are disgusted by you it's hard to brush it off. But we must! and it's true that it says more about their character than it says about us!
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:16 AM   #10  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattience View Post
Yes i had something similar but it was nothing to do with my weight but the colour of my bike -
Thank you- you made my point perfectly! Like I said above in my post- if it isn't weight, it's hair, teeth, glasses, clothes, bikes, good grief, people will find anything to insult, whether it's deserved or not, just to be jerks.

I've also seen women snicker behind guys backs- it's not just guys who are mean and immature. As others have already said, it reflects on them, not you. Personally, if one of my kids ever did this to someone, I would be ashamed of them, and I would read them the riot act if I caught them. Sadly, though, as the old saying goes, "the apple don't fall far from the tree"- so true, in very many cases.
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:34 AM   #11  
Warrior Princess

I never had anyone laugh but I had an ex employer that would tell me I was "too fat" all the time. He would go as far as to pinch my under arm and say "see"? I eventually lost it and told him off. I'm shocked I didn't get fired. I actually went and apologized fearing losing my job but told him why I was so pissed. You'd think a 45 year old, college educated man would know better? They obviously don't teach tact and moral decency in Dental school.

Reason #893 I don't miss being a dental assistant.

I'd be pissed if anyone filmed me for malicious purpose.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:41 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 173/133/140

Height: 5'2"

Years ago, at my highest weight of 200+, I was walking across my college campus. I had on a new outfit and thought my hair looked great. Suddenly, this hippie-type guy said, "Hi, FAT GIRL," I was crushed. I just kept walking. That was 40+ years ago, and I still remember the outfit I had on, how good I was feeling that day until that creep said that. I wished many times I had said something - "Hi, ugly a** hole!" or something. But, I do think I handled it the best way. It is hard to believe that has stayed with me for so long. I hope he has had a miserable life.
EasySpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:29 PM   #13  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Height: 5'3"

Default I am so sorry that happened to you.

I am so sorry that you had to meet such jerks. I am glad you kept on going. People can have such hardened hearts. You hold you head up and don't let anybody bring you down. As far as the jerks go-God don't sleep (as my moma used to say)! God bless you with success.
TamTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:39 PM   #14  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

if someone filmed me like that I would be calling the cops immediately....that in and of itself is super creepy and goes beyond a simple "making fun" comment....i'll bet you anything that you're not the only one they've done that too

I've never had anyone make fun of me while working out but I can imagine that would be hard to brush off and definitely reflects on them and has nothing to do with you
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:49 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 270/260s/120

Height: 5'1"

Once, a few years ago at a gym. I was working on an elliptical and there was a trainer right in front of me helping a slim, fit, petite girl on the stair climbing machine. He kept looking at me and chuckling silently and when the girl was done, he whispered something in her ear, she turned to look at me and both of them burst out laughing.

I was embarrassed but I finished my workout. The next day I walked into the main office and quit, telling them about my experience with the trainer and that I didn't feel comfortable working in a place where the trainer himself is judgemental and condescending instead of helpful and encouraging.

I'm sure they don't care, losing business from one person. But it hurt enough for me to never want to go back there again.
LadyPetite is offline   Reply With Quote