General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-08-2014, 04:41 PM   #1  
JazziBelle

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'4"

Smile Any Crafty People Here?

I like to do all kinds of handwork--knitting, sewing, beading, embroidery etc. I rarely sit in front of the television without something in my hands.
Being creative and working with pretty colors somehow calms me, plus it is a great way to keep me out of the refrigerator in the evenings, since I don't want to get food on my project!

Right now I'm working on a counted canvas project called "Calypso Squares" that has over 20 colors in it!

I'm also making a knitted lace scarf--except I keep goofing it up and having to rip it out to fix it!

What are you working on?
JzBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 257/ticker/154

Height: 5'5.5"

I knit and do lots of other crafty things. I usually have more than one project going, something portable and something else. My current portable project is hexipuffs for a beekeeper's quilt. The other is a crochet christening gown that a friend's grandmother started but never finished. The pattern was so old I couldn't make it all out, but I tracked down a clean copy from Australia (thanks internet!)
fadedbluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:35 PM   #3  

I have over the years done many things, knitting, crochet, embroidery, painting. I retired at the end of last year and am getting ready to pick them up again, I think knitting is first. It always was immensely satisfying to me. I think I may start with cute socks, do a shawl or cardigan, maybe a throw or pillows. I'm ready!
CindySunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:17 PM   #4  
JazziBelle

CindySunshine--I stopped knitting for many years and just picked it up again. My sister who lives miles away from me is really into it and inspired me. There are so many really lovely blends and colors now that weren't around before!

faded--I had to google hexipuffs--they look like such fun!
Old 03-08-2014, 08:05 PM   #5  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

I knit using a Knifty Knitter Loom. I mainly make hats and scarves, but I will be making a blanket soon.

I'm going to be making a long tulle skirt and fairy wings for a costume soon.

I enjoy origami.

I also do random projects when I see something that catches my eye.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:22 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

I crochet, mostly blankets. I have in the past done cross stitch, and some creative painting of wooden boxes. I have also made bath bombs, and messed around with aromatherapy. My next project (once some of my store bought lotions are used up) is to make body butter. I have a package of shea butter, and some jojoba oil that I am looking forward to using.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:30 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 273.5/269.9/160

Height: 5 ft 3

I enjoy making cards and scrapbooking- especially if it is with some friends.
Headie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:47 PM   #8  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

I'm not really a crafty person but iw ould love to be. I went to art school. For a while i had a business as a felt maker and now i've just started a business sewing women's clothing.

Its really too hot here for wool crafts.

But i'd like to say for knitters, there's a really good program out there now where little jumpers are needed for penguins who get caught in oil spills and other things like that. If you google it i am sure you will find the website.

I think its great to make things for the unfortunate members of our planet who will suffer with the cold, like the poor in northern india during winter months. They generally need blankets. I am sure a lot of people need blankets but these people also probably need cardigans or ponchos or shawls. But i don't know if cheap acrylic yarns will cut it.

Just in case this inspires anyone. Maybe something can be done with recycling wool clothes and fabrics.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 320/298/280

Height: ~6'3

I'm a knitter. I have a regular knitting get-together and one of the other ladies is also trying to lose some weight. We've been very supportive of each other.
CJinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:52 PM   #10  
Starting Over Again

If anyone knits and loves penguins, you may want to check this out. They're looking for people to knit "shirts" for penguins that were in oil spills. Their natural oils were destroyed, so they need help keeping warm. I'm not talented enough.

Knit For Penguins

Pattern
Old 03-10-2014, 12:01 AM   #11  
Irish dance addict

S/C/G: 145/145.4/125

Height: 5' 3"

My main craft is crochet. I can make scarves, hats, mittens, gloves, little stuffed animals, doilies, slippers, and my favorite thing: afghans. I just finished a big queen-sized afghan project. I'm also picking up knitting. Just on scarves now as I get familiar with it, I'm much more comfortable with crochet. That's the extent of my craftiness.

Last edited by atmos; 03-10-2014 at 12:03 AM.
atmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:50 PM   #12  
JazziBelle

OMG the pictures of the penguins in sweaters was toooo cute! I called my sister and talked to her about making up some sweaters for the poor birdies!

but then I did some more web-searching, mostly looking for other penguin sweater patterns. And found this article in an oregon newspaper.
They say that the sweaters that are being donated do NOT actually go on live birds. They go on stuffed toy penguins that are sold in gift shops in Nature Preserves and other places--the money from the toy penguins in their little handmade sweaters does go to the Penguin Foundation.

my attempt at a link to the article (I'm still a junior member so this may not work) http://www.oregonlive.com/knitting/i...theyre_re.html

Last edited by JzBelle; 03-10-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:51 PM   #13  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

jibelle, thank you for taking the trouble to find that out. I saw a picture that looked like stuffed penguins but left it without investigation.

Still its great they are looking after the penguins.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:47 PM   #14  
Slow and Steady

S/C/G: 176/176/145

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychic View Post
If anyone knits and loves penguins, you may want to check this out. They're looking for people to knit "shirts" for penguins that were in oil spills. Their natural oils were destroyed, so they need help keeping warm. I'm not talented enough.
I don't knit (I just quilt, badly), but I wanted to thank you for sharing that link. Those pictures made my day! I sent it on to some knitters I know.
LovesToTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:05 AM   #15  
Starting Over Again

I looked into the penguin sweaters a bit more as well. Seems like they do use the sweaters for real penguins, but only after an oil spill. Otherwise, it seems like they use them on the stuffed penguins. Either way, it still helps penguins and they're adorable.