Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 03-10-2014, 05:17 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat March 10 - March 16

Our first week out of February was without snow. Makes me believe in spring.

I did work the exercise class issue by trying two different classes. Both convinced me that I'm in need of catch up work on a zillion different muscles. I'm not discouraged, but I am chagrined that the slightest pause in any exercise causes that muscle to take a vacation. I wish I didn't so clearly remember high school football where we'd start practice in mid-August and be in full shape by the first of September.

Congrats to Alison's Bogey for responding to the Dog Whisperer.

Ouch for Andrea's Loki for remembering to be a tad neurotic.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:34 AM   #2  
Chuggin' along...

Morning all,

I had a rocky weekend. I ended up going home early Thursday getting sick and stayed home Friday. It was one of those "I could make it through a workday but my coworkers will not thank me for coming in" nasty colds. I sat on the couch and watched TV all day, which I haven't done in... well, a long time. Saturday I was still sick but tired of sitting on my rear, so I did a lot of house cleaning. I did take the dog for a long walk all 3 days and actually the fresh air was the best part of my weekend. I'm on the mend today.

I found out the project I submitted for my class online 1.5 weeks ago somehow didn't make it through tech world to the rest of the class to see. I spent the weekend being frustrated by tech issues. Now the system we used to submit projects won't even let me log on. Of course not only was it the weekend but it was spring break, too. Hopefully tech support is in it today. It's frustrating bc I try to do my school stuff during non-work hours, but this can't be avoided.

Allison, if your hummingbird is still alive (which I'm wondering at this point - unless it's been downing sugar water constantly) I would call google animal/bird rehabbers in your area or call any local Audubon chapter or vet, or any wildlife or nature-type place might be able to recommend a rehabber. Often injured birds have injuries or diseases that aren't visible to the naked eye. A broken wing can be fixed. We get tons of calls at my office and end up transporting lots of injured birds to our local rehabber. Hummingbirds in particular have very great energy needs.

Andrea, sounds like you need to find a dog trainer, too.

Bill, being young was great. Scratches healed on the walk home. Sports were easy. Those were the days... ah well. We do the best with what we have now.

Have a great week everyone.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:00 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Sadly the bird did not survive. I really didn't think it would. It was pretty mangled. I feel bad though.

Andrea~there are dog trainers everywhere. I found this guy by a Google search. And then I read reviews on him on Yelp. I've found that usually people only complain about service on Yelp rather than give praise but this guy (and his partner in San Diego) had nothing but praise. I had originally planned on taking Bogey to a different place (who had great reviews on their site) but had a nagging worry about leaving him for up to 4 weeks at boot camp. I decided to check Yelp on them and it was nothing but complaints.

Anyway, Google dog trainers and really read what they can do. There is obedience which all dogs need, but it sounds like Loki has some aggression that needs to be ironed out. Be sure to see if they can work with aggression. I'm sure you can find someone. Good luck.

Sorry you were sick Megan. What a way to ruin a weekend. Feel better!

Bill~we're no spring chickens, are we?
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:24 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Good Morning! I rejoin the land of the living today. My alarm clock said 5:10 a.m. when I woke up. For me daylight savings "springing" forward is a real bonus. I think most of you are the other way and feel tired and cranky without that extra hour of sleep?

I am quite happy this morning as the dog sit will end tonite and I will have internet and can go about getting the tobacco smell out of all of my clothes, my hair, etc. Amazing that I'm still so sensitive to the smell after 30+ years of being a non-smoker. I have been gagging all week.

I am not going to weigh myself this week but will stay OP all week. DH is now quite confident that he has a permanent job and he's going to give weight loss a real shot. I will do what I can to support him while losing my own 6-7 lbs. that have piled on this winter.

Good week all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:03 AM   #5  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Good morning! Thanks for the advice about flicking the baby's hand. I will try it out tonight. As for which is more interesting, babies, or Carter . . . I have to say, the babies are more interesting, but Carter was much less work! He is due for his annual vaccines and his nails are enormous again. I'm wondering if they can knock him out, clean his teeth, trim his nails, and give him his vaccines all at once. He can't have his nails done without being knocked out so it seems like we might as well do his teeth at the same time. OTOH just getting him out for the nails requires less anesthesia than getting his teeth done. Hmmm....

Andrea, sorry about the dog. I would definitely recommend hiring a pro ASAP to help you out. Your local human society can probably give you a referral (as can your vet).

Megan, that sucks about the project submitting tech problems. Hopefully you can get it sorted out soon! Glad you are feeling better.

We had a messy weekend. I was home from work Friday for a meeting with our lawyer to review our estate planning stuff. It's finally warmed up enough to go outside so we took the girls to the park and they enjoyed going in the swings (the bucket style). Then sometime in the middle of the night Friday night, baby A started refusing her pacifier. Since usually nighttime wakings consist of us going in there and popping a pacifier in her mouth, this was pretty tough! In the morning she ate her breakfast bottle okay, but then started refusing all her bottles. We got her to eat a little by sippy cup but ended up mixing most of her milk into solids to get her to eat. I'm pretty sure she's teething.

In any case Saturday and Sunday were a big giant pain because of her bottle refusal, pacifier refusal, and fussiness, but she seems to have gotten over the worst of it and is eating again as of yesterday afternoon. Unfortunately refusing so much of her milk the previous day left her with less hydration and now she's really constipated. Sigh. DH made their oatmeal with prune juice instead of milk this morning to help things along so hopefully it will clear up soon. At least C has been eating fine the whole time and sleeping well too.

We decided to not change their schedule at all because of DST -- instead of going to bed at 6pm and getting up at 5:30am they would just switch to going to bed at 7pm and getting up at 6:30am. Of course last night they were overtired somehow and went to sleep at 6:45 instead of 7, then got up at 6 instead of 6:30. They are doing well with being switched to scheduled naps though so now their naptimes are 9am and 1pm regardless of everything else.

The only other new development is that A has decided she hates going to sleep, and will now cry as soon as we take her into the nursery. I want her to associate the nursery with sleep, so I don't want it to be a play room, but I don't want her to cry every time she goes in! Just babies being babies.

Sorry to ramble so much about babies, those guys have pretty much taken over my life.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Jessica-- if Carter needs his teeth cleaned, definitely do it all at the same time. Dogs do well with anesthesia normally and he won't be under long. Sorry you are dealing with fussy babies-- sounds like you handled the time change well with them though.

Megan--- sorry you are having tech issues! Hope they resolve soon. I all of a sudden can't get my emails on my phone or iPad because my "user name or password is incorrect". Huh? I can get them at work though. Weird.

Dagmar-- fingers crossed this new job works well for dh and you can stress less about his stressors. I hear you on the tobacco smell. Everything in my parents' home reeked after they passed. We have some of their things in my garage and they still smell years later.

Hi to Bill, Allison and everyone else!

I had a nice weekend as dh came home from China. I was happy to have him home as he was flying when the news broke about the missing plane in China. I knew it wasn't his plane but I still wanted him home. I have my book fair next week so this week is a busy one planning/preparing for it. Dh and i are going to Napa for the weekend too so I'm trying to be extra good food wise so I can splurge on the weekend. I found out they are having "Taste of Yountville" while we're there which sounds amazing. You walk around sampling foods from some of the restaurants. The restaurants in that area are pretty amazing for the most part so I'm excited to see what is represented. The weather looks like it will be sunny and warm!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:42 PM   #7  

Height: 5'7"

Allison, I'm sure your son won't have trouble finding a job with a CS degree after graduation but it is important to try to get jobs doing anything IT in the summers. And if he can't find such a thing he needs to work on his own - perhaps learning Objective C (learning to write an ios app) or Java (writing an android app). He can learn it with the many tools online. Then get a github and publish there!

Dagmar - gosh no Internet AND cigarette smell too! I wouldn't have survived!

Jessica, I don't know how you do it with twins! My DD was such a difficult baby from 0-4.5 years -- if I had two of her, oh boy! But she turned out wonderful, after her exorcism at 4.5. Joking of course, but I always say that's what happened because she completely changed at 4 1/2.

Megan - sorry about your tech issues. As a professor, I hear so many excuses but if someone can prove that they did submit it, I would take it. However, I have to admit, I am more lenient than most. Probably because I teach HS also, so I have to give some leniency there and it carries over to my college classes I teach. Hope you are feeling better!

So ... my DD has had several interviews for a summer internship and she was hoping to stay in NYC for the summer. So far the only offer she has in Monterey, CA. So she took it! After consulting us, of course. I found a great deal on an apartment, in fact it's so good, I'm a little worried. Like is he going to kidnap her? (I know... but I must worry about these things!) Anyway, I am going to go out and stay with her - she has the apartment for 10 weeks (for the whole internship) and since I don't work summers I am going to go 4-5 weeks. I know you are thinking -- what? Let her be! Well, she wants me to. Since she left for college 3 years ago to go to NYC, I have barely visited. Last summer, she had an internship in London and she wanted me to go and I couldn't because I had a college class. This year I told the college - I am not teaching in the summer! And the plan was to visit her where ever she ended up. So CA it is! I've never been to CA, so I am quite excited! And I am going to maintain my weight loss while there! I am not sure if I can do my normal exercises because they are on DVDs and it looks like this is on the second floor, so while she is at work, I will walk and walk and walk and do whatever exercise I can. Also, I'm working on an App so I'll be doing that too! I am actually just going to get a one way ticket to visit and if it turns out she is super busy with work all the time or with people she meets there I will leave early. We won't do a lot during the week but on the weekends we will travel around!
CalCounter1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:03 PM   #8  
Workin' It

I've always wanted to go to Monterey! It always sounds so pretty.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:14 AM   #9  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

I'm so ready to spend a summer in Monterey! (California that is. There is a Monterey Massachusetts out near the New York border in the Berkshires - so that would be neat also.)

So many thing to do in Monterey, CA. Be sure to include at least one visit to the Giant Redwoods. Closest might be Muir Woods just 12 miles north of San Francisco which is always crowded but beautiful anyway. Paying to cross the Golden Gate bridge is a challenge since they photograph your license plate to collect tolls. Once you know that, it's easy to go online and figure out how. If you take your Easy Pass (or equivalent) with you the problem is solved.

I'm up early celebrating that my body is confused about this Daylight Savings Time. I have some tax work to do so the time won't be wasted.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 03-11-2014 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Typo
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:50 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

I'ts going to be above 0 degrees all days today.

Followed by snow all day tomorrow.

I definitely think March is the "cruelest month" for Canadians. We keep getting these little hints of spring, and then winter dumps on us again.

But spring is definitely coming.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:16 AM   #11  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Dagmar, I am right there with you! Yesterday was in the 50's (F), and today will be too, and tomorrow we have a low of 7F and 2-4 inches of snow expected. Sigh. At least this time the snow that was already there is pretty much gone!

CalCounter - Monterey is lovely! Actually most of CA is lovely. Full disclosure, I grew up in LA. In any case the central coast is a beautiful place and there is plenty of outdoor stuff to do which helps with exercise. You're also only a couple hours from San Fransisco up there (but I would not recommend driving into SF, rather drive to the end of the BART line and take a train in). Now I'm homesick thinking about CA. Actually I always get homesick in March thanks to the crappy weather here!

Last edited by paperclippy; 03-11-2014 at 08:21 AM.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:53 AM   #12  
Chuggin' along...

Morning all,

We're getting teased by spring, too, but are also expecting more cold weather tomorrow. I jogged in a tank top yesterday for the first time this season. My poor BF is once again being hurt and stressed out by his family's drama. Last night he kept calling people - his dad, his mom, his BIL - and I knew he wouldn't get any resolution. I wish I could just shield him from it and make him not care.

I think I figured out what my tech problem is. I was added to the group for Spring 2013 in our online project submission forum, and I'm assuming this year's group is Spring 2014. I don't think I can add myself, someone with power must change my group. So I just submitted my project to the wrong group. My messages to our online support staff went unanswered yesterday but when I emailed her earlier this semester she was very responsive, so I sent a second email first thing this morning and hopefully will get switched into the right group. I'm glad this project is only worth 5 points of our final grade and I've done well on all the quizzes and tests I've taken so far.

CalCounter, I've heard great things about Monterey Bay! What kind of internship? Florida, NY, CA, your daughter is quite the country-wide traveler.

Bill, shouldn't the time change be making you sleep in instead of get up early? Glad you were able to find something productive to do.

Michele, GL prepping for book fair. I always loved it as a kid! Your weekend plans sound so fun!

Jessica, did A cut any teeth yet? Poor baby.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:49 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

It's nice here today and I think I am actually going to be able to get outside to run at noon today BUT we have a winter storm warning for tomorrow where the temps will be dropping to 14 degrees and we are predicted to get 12-20 inches of snow. I may just completely lose my mind if that happens - so don't be concerned if I disappear.

I have a job interview in 1 hour. It's an advancement within the state system, but I would go from being a counselor to more of a supervisor and wouldn't be working with clients any more. I don't know if I can do that, but it would be a raise of at least $30,000 per year!

I might have a very tough decision to make depending on how this interview goes and I still don't know where I stand mentally on it!
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:55 AM   #14  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryPie99 View Post

I have a job interview in 1 hour. It's an advancement within the state system, but I would go from being a counselor to more of a supervisor and wouldn't be working with clients any more. I don't know if I can do that, but it would be a raise of at least $30,000 per year!

I might have a very tough decision to make depending on how this interview goes and I still don't know where I stand mentally on it!
Good luck, Jen! Remember that you are interviewing them as well as the other way around. And you won't have to make a decision on the spot, will you? Even if they want you to ask you to decide immediately, you can ask for time to think it over.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:11 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Cal,I used to work in Monterey.It is a little bit touristy but you will soon learn the right places to go.Dont miss the aquarium
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote