Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-04-2014, 07:59 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 125kg/108kg/90kg

Height: 158cm

Default Exercise as a mood enhancer?

So today has been a pretty below par day, and I have been feeling really down about everything from my relationships to my journey. Just having a few doubts about things I guess. It also doesnt help I am PMS'ing like crazy I didnt even want to do my exercise for the day, but my friend pushed me into it. We had a few laughs and after I have finished, I am feeling slightly better. I am still down, but not as much as I was? Has anyone else experienced an exercise "high" or has anyone used exercise to enhance their mood? I am new to this whole thing, so just thought I would ask.
caldawg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:38 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 175 / ticker / 125

Height: 5'2"

I don't get what I would describe as a "high," but it definitely helps my mood. It relaxes me a lot and lets off stress, and when I'm done I feel a lot more positive and productive.
BigChiefHoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:49 AM   #3  

I dont really know how to describe it. I kind of hoped that if I exercised hard enough it would tire me out so I could go to sleep and wake up to what would hopefully be a better day, but that hasnt happend yet. All day I have been plagued with these crushing self doubts about everything, and it has got me really upset! And for the first time in 5 weeks, I am seriously craving fast food, so so badly! I dont know.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:57 AM   #4  

Default Post workout good feeling

I was under the impression that exercising generates "good feelings" hormones. That's why some people get hooked on exercise, get out of bed at dawn to exercise, and get a rep for being a fitness freak.
simalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:25 PM   #5  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Yessssss. The main reason I exercise is as a mood elevator, I definitely have a better outlook about everything when I exercise. When I'm down (as I have been recently), working out consistently is a real lifeline.

And occasionally I get a true runner's "high" when I run. Not always. Some times I just get the regular feeling of satisfaction (the "there, that's done, good for me" feeling). But sometimes I get a real sense of euphoria towards the end of a good run, I wish I could order up those feelings on demand!

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 03-05-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:38 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 273/196/163

Height: 5'8

I always feel so much better after I exercise, it is definitely makes me feel less stressed and I am generally happy for the rest of the day. I think it is also the fact that I feel free proud that I finished an intense workout, especially if I didn't want to do it in the first place. That makes me very happy!
madelinerose94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:23 PM   #7  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I feel so much better when I exercise. In fact, today was my first day back in the pool after a long stretch, and I can't believe the difference in my mood and my outlook. I wish I had known how good it felt years ago, it would have helped so much.

Every time I tell myself I don't have the time to work out, I have to remind myself that I NEED it.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:31 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 143/120/120

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Snark View Post
And occasionally I get a true runner's "high" when I run. Not always. Some times I just get the regular feeling of satisfaction (the "there, that's done, good for me" feeling). But sometimes I get a real sense of euphoria towards the end of a good run, I wish I could order up those feelings on demand!
Ah yes, the elusive runner's zone. I also wish I could order up these feelings on demand.

The more I try to get it, the harder it is to achieve the high. Like you, sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't. But if I DO get it, it's the best feeling in the world.
magical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:34 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/133/140

Height: 5'2"

I feel exercise is the only reason I am on no meds, my blood pressure and cholesterol are normal, and I have no joint issues.
EasySpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:15 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 105kg/103kg/60kg

Height: 1.60m

I've read a bit of the science behind it...and have totally forgotten all of the fancy names for the feel-good chemicals released when you exercise! But they definitely do get released, no doubt about it.
JamieToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:56 AM   #11  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

Absolutely!!

Especially during my menstrual cycle. I feel like total crap, but I actually have better workouts.

And I love the stress releasing aspect of exercise. If I am overwhelmed, angry, anxious....it really helps to sweat it out!
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:35 PM   #12  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

I guess I have been exercising regularly for over a year, now. I just don't feel right if I miss too many days in a row. I know for a fact that I would be one angry stressed-out person if I didn't exercise. I have a high stress job pleasing clients and face weekly publication/production deadlines... not to mention experiencing my fair share of office drama. I fear I would bite someone's head off if I couldn't relieve stress.

Before, I suffered with TMJ (subconsciously clenching my jaw and teeth) that caused serious pain and even dental problems. I anxiously overate sweets, etc. (alongside everyone else in the office) on particularly stressful days. In order to keep my job, I kept all my stress and frustration inside and took it out on myself in ways that were only harmful. I had heard that exercise relieves stress, but now I know it's true.

I'll not say I have had an exercise high, but I do feel accomplishment and pride when I'm finished working out. It's really become more than something I have to tell myself to do, but something I just need to do every day -- like brushing my teeth or bathing.

Keep it up. When I was more sporadic in exercising, I didn't really notice the good emotional effects. I think it's regular exercise that is the secret.

PS You said you're PMSing. Hormones bring on their own set of problems, and I think it would take a lot to overcome mother nature influenced mood swings. It can't hurt to exercise through it, but don't base your evaluation on what's happening at this time of the month. You're particularly vulnerable to bad moods right now. Girl power!

Last edited by AwShucks; 03-06-2014 at 10:45 PM.
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:00 PM   #13  
Fight To Succeed !

S/C/G: 221/210/160

Height: 5'8

Hey, Caldawg89. I find it really neat that this was the first thread that I seen after being away from the 3FC website for over three months. I hadn't been quite staying on track. The last few days I have gotten back on the saddle(= Corny as that sounds, lol. I finally picked back up on my workout routine (been going to the gym here at our apartment complex for an hour everyday) and I have put down soda. I had quit drinking soda for over a year and started again August of last year =P I'm working on keeping a healthier diet. I have noticed, in just short of a week, that my energy level seems to have raised and I do notice a positive change in my mood(= I already feel more confident.
Kara2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:52 AM   #14  

Hi Kara2013, thankyou and welcome back! Everyone slips up once in a while, but at least you are getting back into it! I have had a couple of days off the exercise due to a temporary change in shedule, and being in a world of pain from m monthly cycle, but I think its made me feel even worse! Exercising 6 days a week, I have never felt better! My skin is clear, I have lost weight, I feel more confident and happy, and I am fitter too, I can walk up most hills without puffing! Well done for coming back, making the decision to change is the hard bit, its all down hill from here! Well thats what I tell myself
Old 03-07-2014, 06:57 AM   #15  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

I'm not sure if you are still struggling with doubts or if you have recovered?

Anyway i've definiltey had runners high. And i also feel good if i can get out for a walk. The gym would not make me feel particularly good i think. Its that horrible inspiring indoor atmosphere. I like walking along streets with gardens. Or in nature but if i'm depressed, I don't really succeed in making myself do exercise. If its just a day or two dip in mood that's different. Still it think take it easy on yourself.

If you have period pain, try swimming. I have a vague memory that i used to notice some relief from swimming when i had cramps. There was something else that used to bring relief but i can't remember what it was. I know i wouldn't want to be going to work on a day with that sort of pain. I don't get them anymore but when i was young i used to have pain.

If you are feeling slightly off, maybe just find other ways apart from food to nurture yourself.

What about paracetamol and sleep even ?
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote