Old 03-04-2014, 09:04 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 360/289/220

Height: 6.0

Default Slow weight loss

Hi! I have been on Ideal Protein now since January 13, and have lost approximately 40 pounds. I am quite proud of this. The thing that I don't understand, is I have went strictly by the program. NO CHEATING WHATSOEVER. My weight loss is slow compared to others. I am a big guy. I started around 360 pound and I am now down to 318. The past few weeks, my weight loss as been 2-3 pounds or so a week, but I have friends who are also on the program and cheat continually, but lose more weight and inches than I do. When I say cheat, I don't mean a little something here or there, I mean really cheating. From burgers and fries to beer and liquor, but it makes no difference. They still lose. I am extremely glad for them, but it is a little discouraging for me when I am following the diet to a tee and losing so much slower than those others. Have anyone else experienced this problem. Is there anything else that you can do to increase your metabolic rate so that you can lose faster. I drink anywhere from 2-3 litres of water everyday (sometimes more), as I was told that this is very important. Any views or help!

Bear
beardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:33 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 297/IP start 270/201/160

Height: 5 foot 6

Oh, bear, I feel for you and many of us have been where you are. First, 2-3 pounds a week is OK and it fluctuates from week to week. Just hang in there.

Most important, though, is do not compare yourself to others in regards to weekly weight loss or cheating. Big cheating can collect its price sooner or later when these people drop off the program because they think a little cheating is OK and it spreads to more and more.

As far as weight loss goes, you inhabit only your one body - it will react to things differently than others no matter how 100% OP you are. For those who sometimes hit slow spots, it can feel frustrating to read of those losing bigger or faster. Sometimes I would get very depressed about that.

Yet that depression or stress will only create more problems both physically and mentally. However trite or clichéd, take each day as you face it, stay 100%OP, read these boards religiously for support and hints and recipes. The weight will come off and you will learn a lot in the process of why we get here and how to survive this challenge for the rest of life.
schenectady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:00 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 236.5/224/160

Height: 5'

Well said schenectady!

This is my second full week on IP so I don't know yet how it is going to go... I have my second WI tonight... however, I expect that type of situation will happen as well, as I've never been an 'easy' loser... it's good to know that others go through that as well, but mostly, that we need to keep strong and keep going...

Good luck Bear!
Chicnana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 242/242/165

Height: 5'9"

Congrats on a 40 pound loss!
I am not going to give you advice....because you can only decide for yourself what is best.

That being said, I think the strict IP protocol has too few calories for some people. If you compare to other low carb diets, IP has VERY little fat and calories. I am doing a modified version of IP. It's IP but with added protein/fat/calories.

The first time I tried IP, I was super strict, no cheats whatsoever and by week six I was exhausted, foggy headed, weak, hormonal and only losing 1 pound per week. Because I felt so bad and because of the cost, I quit.

I restarted last week, but have made some modifications. Instead of having a packet, some mornings I will have scrambled eggs with veggies. A few nights I have eaten a handful of almonds. I use regular salad dressing, but only a little bit. I try to stick to under 1500 calories, and NO carbs. I plan on eating strictly IP, but if I get hungry, I need an option. This first week of reboot I have lost 4 pounds. Could it have been more with no cheats? Maybe....but if I can't stick with IP and can stick to this, which has a better chance for success?

At your weight and being a male, your body might have adjusted to the shock of starting the diet. Like I said, I don't want to encourage you to cheat or change what you are doing, but if I were you, I would try something different as an experiment. Eat extra protien one day, or have a "fast" day where you eat dinner one night and then don't eat again until the following dinner (keep it around 800 calories). The day after that eat your recommended intake, I am guessing it's around 3000 calories - but keep it all IP packets/protein/veggies/eggs. This shakes your body up again and keeps it guessing to what's coming next.

Good luck and keep going no matter what!
kcandponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 153/134.5/130 (first goal)

Height: 5'0

perhaps you're not eating enough
I've heard of some need extra carbs to lose, perhaps consider shaking things up and doing Phase III for a week, that has helped some. Or the alternative plan where you're allowed a little fruit,dairy and bread.
Hang in there.
Sunflower40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

HA HA HA You don't understand what SLOW is! I had no cheats for 8 weeks and lost 9 pounds. So BE HAPPY, you are a FAST loser compared to so many.
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:54 PM   #7  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

How many packets are you eating per day? I believe men are supposed to have 3 non-restricted & one restricted item per day. Also some clinics recommend having an extra packet if you are starting over 300 lbs.

Are you doing this through a clinic? You might want to ask your coach about those things.

If you are on your own, you might want to ask your question in the men on IP thread.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...ol-6-a-21.html
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:59 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 156/148/111

Height: 5'0"

Default Trying IP without the IP packets

I'm encouraged to hear that some of you are doing the IP diet without the cost of the food. I went to an informational session and the coach told me she lost 70lbs (quite a few years ago)by following a similar approach as IP. So I thought I would try it also as I didn't want to put out all that money for the program. I have lost 8lbs in one month, 7 inches. I'm only 5' and have 45lbs to lose. I have seen others lose more in a month so I totally understand the frustration when you don't lose as much. Last week I didn't lose anything - I was feeling a little deflated about that. Anyone else struggling with losing on a low/no carb plan?
Runner68girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:35 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Just to clarify something several of the above comments have said...

IP is NOT a "no carb" plan. It is a low carb (low daft, moderate protein plan). Your body MUST have carbs in order to function. They are in most (all) veggies as well as most every IP product.

I imagine the comments really meant "low carb" not NO carb but want to be sure new IPers and future IPers know what is meant.
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:47 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 156/148/111

Height: 5'0"

Yes, I realize it is not a NO carb plan!! My typing/thinking got away with me - when I think carbs, i'm meaning breads, cereals, hi GI index foods, etc, etc.....
Runner68girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:47 PM   #11  
Started IP Feb. '04

S/C/G: 316.8/303.8/180

Height: 5'6''

Bear, congrats on a 40 lb loss. I think that is awesome but can also see where it can be discouraging. If you are going to an actual clinic, have you talked to your coach about increasing the packets or adding a little more protein? Maybe an adjustment for a week or two may help! Keep up doing what you are doing. Even if it is slow, its working!!!!!
rmcjaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:58 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardude View Post
Hi! I have been on Ideal Protein now since January 13, and have lost approximately 40 pounds. I am quite proud of this. The thing that I don't understand, is I have went strictly by the program. NO CHEATING WHATSOEVER. My weight loss is slow compared to others. I am a big guy. I started around 360 pound and I am now down to 318. The past few weeks, my weight loss as been 2-3 pounds or so a week, but I have friends who are also on the program and cheat continually, but lose more weight and inches than I do. When I say cheat, I don't mean a little something here or there, I mean really cheating. From burgers and fries to beer and liquor, but it makes no difference. They still lose. I am extremely glad for them, but it is a little discouraging for me when I am following the diet to a tee and losing so much slower than those others. Have anyone else experienced this problem. Is there anything else that you can do to increase your metabolic rate so that you can lose faster. I drink anywhere from 2-3 litres of water everyday (sometimes more), as I was told that this is very important. Any views or help!
OMG. Attitude adjustment!
You have lost 40 lbs in 7 weeks? 5+ lbs/week average.
explain to me how this is slow?

Here are some other thoughts:
  • You are comparing yourself to others. And it is only what others "report" to you so you don't know what is really happening there.
  • We all have individual metabolisms and individual weight loss speeds. I am not you, you are not me, we won't lose the same. Comparing is only a source of frustration.
  • Are you doing measurements as well? The scale is only one measure of success
  • How many packets are you consuming per day? The IP coaches' manual says this for weights over 200
    • 201-240 pounds = 4 packets/day
    • 241-280 pounds = 5 packets/day
    • 281-320 pounds = 6 packets/day. It is true you just may not be eating enough at this point.
  • This plan is hard enough without thoughts of cheating. Cheating just leads to more cheating and causes many people to fail. If this is the plan you have decided to do, then give it your all!!!

Last edited by lisa32989; 03-04-2014 at 04:09 PM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:10 PM   #13  
maintaining since 9/2013

Your weight loss, as Lisa pointed out, is anything but slow. Your friends who are cheating with things like alcohol and fries will most likely regain their weight.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:22 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner68girl View Post
Yes, I realize it is not a NO carb plan!! My typing/thinking got away with me - when I think carbs, i'm meaning breads, cereals, hi GI index foods, etc, etc.....
I figured that was what you were thinking/meant... I just wanted to clarify for those who might be new to it or not yet on IP!

Last edited by JLUS; 03-04-2014 at 11:23 PM.
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:50 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 297/IP start 270/201/160

Height: 5 foot 6

Just to add my thoughts in regards to IP and men specifically...my son in law started IP and ran with it for 8 month lost nearly 90 pounds with no problems, no challenges. He followed the plan exactly as IP designs it for men his size starting at close to 300).

He works 60 hours a week, chases his 2 year old, very active. He found huge success on the program and I have seen how it can work. He is a real supporter of the program.

His father also joined after seeing his son's success. Nearly 60 and on every blood pressure medication known to man, also in the 300 pound range. He took off nearly 100 pounds off all meds except water pill, looks 20 years younger, going to the gym and playing racket ball with his son. Also followed the program to the letter of the "law". No modifications, no cheating.

This does NOT mean that the success they experienced or the rate at which they lost is the same for anyone else but them. I mention it because they followed the IP program as designed and as supported by their clinics. They lost the weight, are healthy.
schenectady is offline   Reply With Quote