Old 03-04-2014, 06:47 PM   #1  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

Default "Cabbage soup diet" incorporated into WW?

So apparently, my mother did the whole "cabbage soup" diet thing back in the 70s and lost nearly 30 pounds in a month. Now mind you, she only did this because she wanted to lose a fair bit of weight quickly for a special event.

Anyway. Yesterday she cooked up a big ol' pot of cabbage soup. She's not planning to do the strict cabbage diet (well, mostly because I lectured her on how ridiculously unhealthy that would be, especially since she's a Type II diabetic) but she figures the soup would be a good "filler" food, since it's basically just chicken broth, spices, and a load of vegetables.

Just out of curiosity I tried a bit (I'm not a fan of soup, and I'm *definitely* not a fan of cabbage. EW.)

You guys....it is the BEST SOUP EVER IN LIFE. Seriously. And all that's in it is fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth, cabbage, celery, carrots, onions, tomatoes, ground black pepper, and oregano.

So now *I'm* wondering: could I possibly work this into my plan? I don't see why not, personally; it would be a fantastic way for me to get in my veggies (I calculated the points using Mom's recipe and it's 0 points). Plus, I usually don't eat lunch simply because I find it close to impossible to find low-point options, and this could be the answer!

What do you all think? Has anyone else ever done this (taken the "cabbage soup" part of the cabbage soup diet and just worked it into WW)? Any input would be great!
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/133/140

Height: 5'2"

I enjoy any and all soups with cabbage - - adds a great flavor, even for those, like me, that don't like cabbage unless it is in coleslaw or served hot, drenched in butter.

I add cabbage or leftover coleslaw mix to all my homemade soups.

I am not sure this answers your question, but I do encourage you to try it..
EasySpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:18 PM   #3  
Never Giving Up

S/C/G: Going from chubby to not

I use a WW Veggie soup all the time. It is one point, there are no point zero soups. It really doesn't make a difference unless you eat the entire pot. lol

Soups are great because besides being healthy, they fill you up and satisfy you. Plus it takes a while to finish the bowl. I like to use the soup as an "appetizer" before dinner is ready, I'll eat the soup. And I won't indulge in something not on plan because I'm starving. I make mine in the crockpot and divide into individual tupperware type bowls. Then I just zap it in the micro when I want some.

I also eat the soup with a sandwich and it is a very filling lunch.

The only downside of eating all that cabbage it might interfere with your digestion.
Serenity100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 187.4/176.8/155

Height: 5'7.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity100 View Post
I like to use the soup as an "appetizer" before dinner is ready, I'll eat the soup. And I won't indulge in something not on plan because I'm starving. I make mine in the crockpot and divide into individual tupperware type bowls. Then I just zap it in the micro when I want some.
This is such a wonderful idea! I hesitate to make soups because I'm basically the only one who eats them at home. Thanks for posting this!
Becky Quilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:14 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 245/signature/135

Height: 5'5"

On my day off I make a big pot of kale soup (onions, garlic, vegetable broth, 2 cans of fire roasted tomatoes, and kale). Once the soup is done I just leave it on the stove on low all the time, so there is always hot soup available. Anytime I'm hungry, I grab a bowl of soup. It's perfect when I first get home from work, and takes the edge off my appetite.
Donna34747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:44 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky Quilts View Post
This is such a wonderful idea! I hesitate to make soups because I'm basically the only one who eats them at home. Thanks for posting this!
I am too, but I tend to eat soup for breakfast and lunch daily. I just cook big pots of soup on weekends and freeze it in 1-cup containers. I take two of them to work with me everyday and eat one for breakfast, and one for lunch. All of them are between 100-175 calories per cup and they're very filling.

My favorites are: spicy tomato/blue cheese, carrot/peanut, curry lentil, split pea, cheesy broccoli white bean, vegetable white bean, roasted red pepper soup, corn chowder.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:40 AM   #7  
Excavation in Progress

S/C/G: 215/*ticker*/135

Height: 5' nothing

My stars, Snoofie, I just made a delectable WW Kielbasa and Cabbage soup the other day from the WW Simply Delicious cookbook. Why not incorporate it with or without the protein. It's all veg and water = nothing wrong with that. Great go-to between meals.

A trick with cabbage is not to cook it too long. When it is just tender and still verdant green it is de-lish! When cooking in a soup I like to saute it first, cook the broth part without it, then add it back in to simmer a few minutes. This will keep it tasting fresh and not sulfur-like.
archychick is offline   Reply With Quote