Old 03-03-2014, 10:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 243/217/170?

Height: 5'3

Default Elevated Liver Enzymes while on IP

I have been on IP since Oct 2013. I am down about 46lbs. I am a diabetic and take thyroid medicine.

I had some blood work done 2/6/14 and then 2/27/14 and my liver enzymes are SUPER high. Before I started the diet they were fine. Just got off the phone with my Endocronolgist and he had me get off some drugs to see if it was that. Has anyone else had this since starting IP? I have never had liver issues before.

I will get tested to rule out hepatitis but we dont think it is that. He said if I have a fatty liver I will most likely have to stop IP because the high protein could be aggravating it. Little stressed but being proactive about it. Have to see my other Drs too to see what could be going on.

Did some searches on here and internet but nothing major. My coach did tell me they can be elevated but since Feb 2, 2014 they have more then tripled!!!!

I will also start to eat more chicken and fish. I was having red meat about 5xs a week

If you had this issue because of IP any feedback would be great. Thanks in advance.
LUCCILOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:58 AM   #2  

ugh...I had a whole answer typed (with references) and my ipad lost it...grrr

Anyway, typically low carb diets and losing weight will cause a decrease in elevated liver enzymes, especially in people with fatty liver. However, typically they also cause a decrease in blood lipid levels but a handful of people find the opposite.

So, basically this means that we are all different and our bodies react differently. Luckily, you're doctor is "on it" and it seems is looking at possible medication interference as the culprit. I'd stick with medical supervision, rather than an internet support group for something as serious as liver function.

I read a few places that a PSMF diet, which IP is, can cause liver stress in some people. Again, sorry my references were lost.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:33 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolo70 View Post
I am sure your endo will tell you what to do. You could also consider eating 150g of carbs/day for two weeks or so and check liver enzymes again. Then you would know whether it is IP. I know, this will result in horror, but IMO health comes first.
Basically, phase off for 2 weeks (phase 3, 4) then check again. No horror involved
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:59 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

So many things can cause Liver enzymes to be high.
Recent infection, esp. viral
Tylenol
Anti- Inflammatories
Anti- depressents
etc.
When I had surgery my liver enzymes were high and I had to repeat the test the next week before they would do surgery & they were fine. I had just gotten over an ear infection.
Don't know what drugs you take, but they are a very common cause, so work with your doctor and try not to worry too much. Good Luck
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:08 PM   #5  
Started IP 12/26/13

S/C/G: 205.6/171.2/145

Height: 5'6"

This post makes me a little nervous. Can I ask what your liver enzyme count is?? Mine have been slightly elevated for some time, but just in the 80s, which really isn't that high. But my doctors were all freaking out (this all started over a year ago.) I was sent to many different doctors and lots of tests were done. Ultrasound showed everything looked fine (no signs of fatty liver disease), blood tests ruled out hepatits and all sorts of other possible diseases. Liver function tests were normal. They told me to stop taking ibuprofen and glucosamine (I have two horrible knees that were causing me a lot of pain and I was also getting headaches pretty regularly) and absolutely no alcohol (I very, very, very rarely drank as it was). This past year, I dealt with gallbladder attacks (ER visit, almost had it removed then they decided to wait), hormone tests and worried that I was pre-diabetic, the knee pain, and then the liver enzyme scare. So many tests and doctor visits but nothing conclusive. I mentioned to my sister about the elevated liver enzymes (she is a pharmacist) and she said hers are also and that she had tests done and it's just something that seems to run in our family...and that there is no reason for it or cause to worry. So I stopped worrying.

Then I decided to try Ideal Protein after seeing success from a friend. She is a pharmacist and VERY knowledgeable. She has guided me through my medical tests as well. Since starting IP, no more gallstone pain, my knees don't hurt, I don't get headaches at all, and I just feel better. I'm doing IP for my health...too many scares this past year.

Well...I was supposed to go in last week and have a 3 month check on my liver enzymes and decide what to do next. I didn't go to the appointment. I didn't have my bloodwork redone. I was not worrying about it all. I'm hoping by losing weight, the liver count will come down, as will any other elevated number (cholesterol, etc) and my next regular physical will show my doctor that I have lost significant weight. I have to admit, I am worried if I go in now, something will look "off" on the bloodwork and they'll tell me that I need to stop IP...and it's working for me, so I don't want to stop. Know what I mean? I had mentioned to the liver doc that I was going to start IP and she had never heard of it and tried to give me the whole talk of just eating healthy and exercising. Doesn't work for me.

Sorry to be so lengthy...your post just got me thinking. So, I'm curious as to how high your count is. The two pharmacists in my life told me that mine is barely elevated and my liver is functioning okay so not to worry...but I know they aren't doctors. I'll be watching to see how this goes for you.
jendilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:41 PM   #6  

Thanks to everyone for listening and giving me input.

So from 2009-1/2013 I had my liver enzymes checked yearly as part of a complete blood work up. Never had a problem all info was totally normal.

I started IP Oct 2013. Had my annual blood work that happened to include the liver and my results came up high

On 2/6/14 - My ALT was 76 normal range for this test was 6-29 (U/L) rechecked it

On 2/17/17-because I had to have other tests done and ALT was 278 normal range was 0-32 IU/L
---

2/6/14- My AST was 30 normal range was 10-30 (U/L) rechecked it

On 2/17/14- My AST was 111 normal range was 0-40 (IU/L)

I am going to get tested to rule out hepatitis on Wed. Also maybe checked for a fatty liver.

My endo told me to stop taking my Victozia shot for diabetes (since being on the IP diet my A1c is now 5.8 almost normal!) and stop my lisinopril 5 mg. I stopped taking Tylenol PM at night and will limit my red meat. I will eat more fish and chicken.
I have been on birth control since college. I am 41 and have PCOS since high school. That is why I am on it. Also going to see my primary dr and my cardiologist who I do the IP diet at his office. I do have thyroid problems and I am on thyroixde I think 50mg and it is all normal just had it done 2/17/14

Since being on the IP diet my cholesterol has gone up a bit before the diet it was pretty normal. I have not exercised at all while on IP diet. We are trying to eliminate stuff before we start messing the IP diet. I am trying to be proactive but I am stressing about this.

Hope this info helps.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:43 PM   #7  

Quick update. Numbers came down alot in my latest lab but not on the normal side yet. Went to 2 Drs. The one that I am on IP with said I will go for more blood work in 10 days to see if it was the medicine I was on or IP. If it is IP they might have to modify for me or take me off and give me a break. They called IP and said higher liver enzymes can happen.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:39 PM   #8  

Just stopping Tylenol, will usually lower liver enzymes. If I were you, I would have your Thyroid checked, it can cause elevated cholestrol. we are such complicated creatures.
very happy they have come down some for you
Old 03-07-2014, 07:42 PM   #9  

Thx for checking in. I am on thyroid medicine and just got it tested and it is all normal. I am trying to cut down on red meat. Use to eat it 5xs a week while being on IP. I will keep u posted. Have a good weekend.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:57 PM   #10  

Glad that you had it checked, Good Luck & don't worry