Old 03-01-2014, 10:47 AM   #1  
AmberLS

S/C/G: High 298, IP-250/182/165

Height: 5ft 5in

Thumbs down IP, ending week two and I gained weight

Help!!! I'm not sure what just happened.. Monday I ended my first week on IP down 8.8lbs, with 6 lbs of fat loss, by Wednesday I was down another 3.2lbs and then this morning I'm up 2 lbs from that, so sometime between Wednesday and today I gained 2 lbs... I am sticking to protocol and having no problems doing so. I weigh myself at the same time on the same scale when I weigh. I can't go in Monday having only lost 1.2lbs
AmberLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:56 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 193/162/162

Height: 5' 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberLS View Post
Help!!! I'm not sure what just happened.. Monday I ended my first week on IP down 8.8lbs, with 6 lbs of fat loss, by Wednesday I was down another 3.2lbs and then this morning I'm up 2 lbs from that, so sometime between Wednesday and today I gained 2 lbs... I am sticking to protocol and having no problems doing so. I weigh myself at the same time on the same scale when I weigh. I can't go in Monday having only lost 1.2lbs
Wow, congratulations on your loss! Everyone is different but with such a big loss in the first week, your second week will be less and every week will be different. From reading about everyone's losses on here including my own, you can have small to big losses to nothing each week but the main thing is that you stay on plan and all those losses add up quickly and the most important benefit is that you feel better. Sometimes we focus too much on those numbers, I know I do and should appreciate that we are heading in the right direction, less weight and better health! Measuring ourselves is so important as even if we feel the loss is small, we can lose those inches and see our body changing. Keep up the great job!
Hawaii69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:58 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Your "weight" changes multiple times per day based on food and water intake, hormones, going to the bathroom, eating salty foods, the way the sun is shining, how many cars are on the road, etc.

I'm joking about the last two but this is why many people should only weigh once per week if they can't handle the fluctuations.
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:59 AM   #4  
AmberLS

I'm just nervous as to why I'm gaining weight. I shouldn't gain weight back. I take my vitamins, I drink more than the recommended water. The only thing I can think of is that the last 3 nights I went to water aerobics so I ended up eating late, around 7pm instead of 5.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:59 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 297/IP start 270/201/160

Height: 5 foot 6

First, congratulations on you nice losses and your adherence to the IP program! You are off to a great start.

Some general thoughts....the first rule that I have read on here and a principle to which I hold, absolutely do not weigh daily if the result of it is distress over the results. The daily weight fluctuates tremendously and it is not an even or logical pattern. It is not a reflection of what you have eaten. It can be due to the kind of food, the amount of salt, the time of month, exercise, etc.

Secondly, the week to week amount changed as well and is not a regular pattern. A really large loss is often followed by smaller losses.

In regards to the weight "gain", if you are 100% OP you did not really gain 2 pounds in three days - body weight fluctuates all the time and you may be looking at a low day with dehydration against a normal day with normal water retention or whatever.

Lastly, many of us have had weeks with "only" 1.2 pounds. It will happen again to most of us, too. That is just how it goes. You might wish to use non scale markers to validate your progress. How does the waistband of your clothes feel? How do you feel? What better levels of energy do you have?

Please do not get wrapped up in gauging success from the scale or you are looking for a real roller coaster of a ride on this program. It DOES work, but it works in its own way and time.

And last - STAY OFF THE SCALE except at weigh in.

Last edited by schenectady; 03-01-2014 at 12:36 PM.
schenectady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:03 AM   #6  
AmberLS

Well I'm used to the regular changes of my weight through out the day, that's why I only weigh first thing in the morning. I just am terrified that I've accidentally done something wrong. I ate lettuce roll ups with cucumber and roast beef or turkey for dinner last night and I had a restricted food, the bbq wafers, but I didn't finish them and I almost never eat restricted foods, it's only my second one. I though maybe the water aerobics was a problem, but that doesn't make sense.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

Luncheon meats are higher in sodium and so are the BBQ crisps, which can cause water retention. I was a daily weigh-er until it became an emotional distraction. Stress is not good for the IP process. Also,have you spoken to your coach about adding another packet because you are exercising? Less is not better on IP, it just sends the body into starvation mode.

You are doing fine, if you are following the protocol sheet. I know it is overwhelming at first and you want a pay off for the work. It will come, I promise. Hope you can relax and have a great OP day.
Slipfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:22 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 187.7/158.2/150

Height: 5'6''

Amber, you seem to be doing great. My second week I "only" lost 1.7lbs, and then the week after I had a 3.7 lbs loss. I also weigh myself daily, first thing in the morning, but yes, there are fluctuations day to day even though you do it at the same time. I am personally refraining from exercise for the first month, I am actually waiting for spring to arrive so I can go for a walk, and I have a restricted bar first thing in the morning, every morning since I started. I refrain from the chips, crips, and such. I just don't want to eat the food that reminds me of junk food, but that is just me.

Make sure that you go for you weigh in on Monday, I am sure that there will be a inch loss that will make you feel great!
kontesanera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:38 AM   #9  
maintaining since 9/2013

Adding to the chorus: don't weigh everyday if fluctuations distress you. If you stick to the program, you will lose fat and weight. it isn't a linear process. If you have a gain at the weekly weigh-in, that's a great time to analyze what you ate. In between is chasing your tail. Idealproteinnewbie & Schnectady's posts are worth re-reading every time you feel like weighing!
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:42 AM   #10  

What everyone is telling you is you haven't gained fat.
Even if the scale stayed the same or bumps up a little, know you're losing fat.
The scale is only ONE measure of fat loss and when we step on the scale we measure water retention, which fluctuates big time though the week & month. Where are you in your cycle?

Did your coach tell you exercise could cause temporary scale gains (not fat gains) due to water retention? We retain water when we build muscle.

Lots of things affect the scale. Let go of what it says day-to-day or stay off it between WIs
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:20 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 206/145/145

Height: 5'2"

I weigh myself every morning- longstanding habit. I know there are pros and cons to doing so. I write my weight down every day. Though I have only been on IP a few weeks, I too have seen that the day to day fluctuations don't seem to be related to what type of food I ate the day before (I have been 100% OP). It is frustrating on days I am up, but I am teaching myself to accept the fluctuations and learn that the daily number on the scale isn't a direct reflection of how I did the previous 24 hours. Hearing about the NSVs from other members has been helpful.
smallerin2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:25 PM   #12  
AmberLS

Thanks ladies, I've calmed down a little sense this morning. I really think my late eating the last two days is probably the culprit. I don't usually weigh every day, but I do weigh frequently, for me it's a motivator as long as it doesn't go up that is! LOL plus I think the lunch meat/crisps combo might be a problem. I'm trying to use some of the foods I bough week one before I realized that I really just like the shakes! I don't want to be stuck with the choices I made before I knew what I liked too much longer so I am trying to throw one or two of them in a day.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:31 PM   #13  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberLS View Post
Thanks ladies, I've calmed down a little sense this morning. I really think my late eating the last two days is probably the culprit. I don't usually weigh every day, but I do weigh frequently, for me it's a motivator as long as it doesn't go up that is! LOL plus I think the lunch meat/crisps combo might be a problem. I'm trying to use some of the foods I bough week one before I realized that I really just like the shakes! I don't want to be stuck with the choices I made before I knew what I liked too much longer so I am trying to throw one or two of them in a day.
Give yourself a gift and get rid of the ones you don't want. Just for the time you are in P1, give yourself permission to do just what makes it easier to follow IP. Maybe you can exchange the rest of the packets you aren't crazy about? Give them to someone else? Save them for a rainy day, out of sight/

If necessary, TRASH THEM and whatever else creates struggles. It's funny how this 'gotta use them up' mentality kicks in for things we don't much like, especially when we are on a diet. I drive myself crazy doing this, and it always leads to overeating of what I don't even like. For P1, I gave myself permission to do whatever was needed to succeed. I'm realizing in P4 that it applies as well. Sounds like you are figuring out what works --way to go!

Last edited by mars735; 03-01-2014 at 12:32 PM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote