Old 12-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 238.4/231.4/180

Height: 5'9"

Default Is there room for an almost 40-something...

Hi Ladies,
Is there room here for an almost 40-something with no support?

My name is Jenn, I'll be 40 in May. I weighed in on Black Friday at 248lbs. I have no support in my weight loss, plenty of sabatoge and I feel like I'm sliding into depression. It's been a rough few years for me with a lay off from my job, having to put my 15year old dog to sleep and losing my friends because when I was layed off, I didn't have extra money to go out and do things with them and they were not willing to compromise. And those are the highlights! I'm working now, but as temp for a company dragging out the decision to hire me. So I am also a stress eater!

My goal is, for now anyway, 180lbs. I'm tall at 5'9" and I don't want to get so thin that I will not be able to maintain it or look like a saggy mess. I will never be able to afford skin removal surgery.

I need help and support from people who are trying to achieve the same goals as I am and who want me to succeed as much as I want them to succeed.

Jenn
Jenn0507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #2  
Be Healthy...

S/C/G: 288/267/238

Height: 5'5"

Default Life is full of ups and downs....

and not just on the scale. I am comfortable replying because I suffer with depression and the copy of my diet paper just magically disappeared....pretty sure the husband trashed it. The skies are getting more and more gray and if you are like me the depression peaks at this time of year. You can do this. I think of struggles of the many women generations before us. Pull strength from the memories of the strongest women in your life. Concentrate on what brings out the positive in you. Go to your favorite store and spend $2.00 on some frivolous trinket that you can look at and smile. This site has been wonderful support for me. I leave and I always come back. I feel I am fighting for my life as I am older now. So you fight fight fight. Best of luck.

Fattiegirl
fattiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #3  
Struggling Member

S/C/G: 325/...../220

Height: 5' 11"

fg that was really inspirational and I felt better after reading your post. I just found out yesterday that I will be laid off my job starting in January. You gave some good advice.
Jenn best of luck to you.

Last edited by darius; 12-05-2013 at 10:08 PM.
darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #4  
Badass Brokeleg Bunny

S/C/G: 239.2/199.8/170

Welcome aboard!!!

If you are looking for support, you've come to the right place, "40 Somethings" is great (and they don't card at the door). so many of us can relate to what you are going through.

There are other sections you might enjoy too. If you need extra attention for the stress eating, you might check out the section on "Chicks in Control." And if you want to bond with other people in your same weight class you can look at "the 100 Pound Club" ... there are threads for each ten pounds and it can be really inspiring to work together.

And as for being a 'saggy mess' when you are done: there are no guarantees but I started at about your weight, I'm almost to your goal and though my skin is a little loose it actually looks fine and I expect it to firm up with no problems. The fact that you are younger and taller than me should work in your favor too.

So welcome and good luck!
tefrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #5  
Crusin' into a new me

S/C/G: 260/234/160 reboot

Height: 5'5"

Default Me too...almost 40

Jenn - This is a great place for you to be. I will be 40 in February. I am too a stress eater and have found these last 3 months pretty rough at times. I am blessed at home and have a good job but the STRESS with my job is crazy. I had gain approximately 40 lbs in the last 5 years there.

My advice is hang in there and give yourself grace. We will all have days that we blow it with our depression/stress over takes our eating. This best things I have learned are:

Failing to Plan = Planning to Fail * This huge for me and my food during the day and traveling.

Tomorrow is another day. * Why yes I am a Gone with the Wind lover; but the truth is we need to give ourselves grace as we begin each new day.

Hugs ~b
BuffieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:41 AM   #6  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

I like that image, carding at the door! Pretty soon I'll be carded at the other end of the range LOL
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #7  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Welcome Jenn, you are going through quite a rough time, I'm so sorry!

Great group of people here, I'm so glad you're joining us! (Plus all you almost-40s bring down our average age, I like it!)
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #8  

Height: 5' 8"

Welcome Jenn! This is a very supportive group of women and there is no carding coming or leaving.

I currently have a few goals going on. What I have on my ticker is my long term goal. On my fitbit my current goal is 177.8.

Last edited by envelope; 12-08-2013 at 05:16 PM.
envelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:08 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 206/172.4/130

Height: 5'6"

Default I'll be 40 in February

Hey there Jenn,

I can relate to what you are describing. I suffer from depression and pretty severe anxiety. I also lost my career and am now back in school slowly working towards something new. Also got a divorce, moved 3000 miles, lost my home, and most of my friends. All in one fell swoop!

I take things day by day. If, at the end of the day, I can say, hey, I did all I could do today, then that is a good day. If I backslide I jump back on the process the next day. I can relate to not having a lot of support!

Best tip I have is to try to get outside and take a walk. Even just a block. Then, if you want to go home, it is ok. Or continue on. I normally go on once I'm out.

Second tip is track what you eat. Even on bad days. Anyhow, I don't have any answers, I can only say what helps me. Just keep trying, and try not to beat yourself up too much.
Gwendolyn213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #10  
Hi!

Welcome, Jenn.

Sending you a big hug and positive thoughts. You can do this. :-)
mezmerelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:01 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 188/188/155

Height: 5'7

welcome aboard!! you can do it all....just take one day at a time.....and tell yourself....you will get out of all this!!!
hugs!
Katdekarachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:16 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 238.4/231.4/180

Height: 5'9"

Thanks for the welcome ladies! The holidays are the worst time of year for me, but thankfully I am starting to feel more positive. I can do this and keep the weight off. The junk that put the weight back on, now has no hold on me. I can have a 100 calorie pack and am satisfied with it.
Jenn0507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:19 PM   #13  
I'm on an Adventure!

S/C/G: 230.4/222.4/140

Hello all. 2014 hasn't been kind but I haven't broke yet just a few bending creases. I'll be 40 in July, married in June. I was laid off the week of Christmas and recovering from a roof collapse from all the snow. I joined ww a week ago thinking that this is the only thing that I can control. I'm hoping to find inspiration to keep going...
ChicaCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:59 PM   #14  
mossfootrunner!

S/C/G: 126kg/93kg/70kg

Height: 162cm(ish)

Awww, good luck, Chicacoy! Who the heck lays people off the week of Christmas? That's a bit harsh...

You can do this. Think small, positive changes! Even if it's just a walk around the block instead of a handfull of chips, every positive experience builds confidence
Magicsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:08 PM   #15  
I'm on an Adventure!

S/C/G: 230.4/222.4/140

Thank you magicsusan I've started walking since my bike recently broke. Yep, I broke my bike too lol
ChicaCoy is offline   Reply With Quote