Old 02-25-2014, 09:43 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 224/220/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Does induction HAVE to be EXACTLY 20 carbs?

Hi everyone...on Day 3 of induction. Lost 4 lbs already (and I'm glad because I was afraid I was going to be metabolically resisitant) but my question is....I thought I saw somewhere to aim for 20 net carbs during induction (not sure if it was the Atkins Revolution book, I know that one was the last "good" one or the current Atkins website) but that anywhere between 18 and 22 was ok. There are some days this week that will be 21, 21.5ish and I just wanted to make sure it's ok. I plan to pick up some ketosis test strips today after work as well. I know they are not the end all be all and to go by the scale and clothes fitting but the OCD side of me NEEDS to know....and since we are "one and done" it will satisfy my need to pee on a stick, LOL!
cattwoman222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:17 AM   #2  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

Hello Cattwoman and to answer your question the net carbs should be Around 20.. so as long as you are close that is fine... Just don't go too far over or under! That is the whole miracle of induction as it gets your body to reset and getting used to the foods Atkins indicates. I hope you have a chance to read Dr Atkins book(s) from 2002 or before as the newer versions allow for their bars and shakes, which Dr. Atkins did not have nor allow in his version. Lets see your ticker (when you get it) go down down down!
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:24 AM   #3  

Thanks! Yep I've read the 2002 book and I'm not using any of the bars, shakes or frozen meals. Ok phew, just wanted to make sure 21 or 22 carbs was ok. How do I create a ticker? I have one on another site (a pregnancy/baby site) so I knew how to do it at one time or another, LOL.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:44 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Catwoman, you will be able to create a ticker when you have been her over 20 days and have 20 posts. Your join date was February 16.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:49 AM   #5  

Oh ok, thanks!
Old 02-28-2014, 05:18 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

Hi & welcome

20 grams of carbs is the target - if you're a little above just remember it's a learning process. I remember early on having a serving of cabbage and being upset because it had far more carbs than I was expecting. But keep it in perspective, I wasn't almost 250 pounds from too many veggies!

These days I have clear targets of carbs (and calories) but my target is an average I aim for - the day to day varies a bit. I know if I have a higher day one day I should try for a lower day the next one.
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:22 AM   #7  

Yeah well, scratch that. I think I may be metabolically resistant after all. I went UP 1.5 yesterday and stayed the same today. 3.5 lbs lost from Sunday to Friday on week 1. I know it's still a loss but the book says if it's only a slight loss that I'm probably metabolically resistant. WONDERFUL. I know, I know....still going in the right direction.....and I still have two more days AND another week on induction. Looks like I'll be of those who stays in induction for a while.....too bad for my hubby, he's down 9 but will have to stay in induction if I do since I'M the cook! LOL....he has 50 total to lose so staying in a little longer won't kill him.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:26 AM   #8  

The ONLY other thing I can think of is I know the beginning is just mostly water weight and you lose that faster than when burning fat in ketosis. My strips are purple (and my breath is lovely, NOT) so I know I'm in ketosis. So maybe that's why I slowed down. I didn't have a lot of water weight to lose because I'm in the pre-diabetic range and had been peeing non-stop since my body was trying to rid itself of excess insulin. I'm actually NOT running to the bathroom as often now on Atkins like hubby is. I always drank 64oz of water so my body was used to it. Hubby....not so much. Poor thing has been getting up two or three times in the night to pee. Welcome to my world baby!