Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 02-24-2014, 06:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW 152 / CW 143.4 / GW 125

Height: 5"2

Default Bad Habits and the solutions that have worked for you.

Hi there,

I just thought it would be interesting for people to list their worst dieting or health habit and then to write down the solution they have found to either break the habit/ get around it. I'd love to hear of people's creative ideas and solutions in case they help me with mine!

My worst habit:

Using food as a 'treat' or a 'reward'. Because it's a cheap, quick, satisfying gratification. Fine if it was once a week but I give myself far too many rewards and treats for nothing in particular!

My solution:

Delay gratification. $5 in a jar for every pound lost. Helps me keep my mind focused and avoid constantly treating myself. I know I can look forward to spending that money on new clothes or going out.

Please add your habits and solutions, no matter how creative/bizzare!
marthamay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

I suppose my worst habit by current standards is having days when I eat practically nothing but carbs: a bagel or two for breakfast, tortilla pizza for lunch, popcorn snack, and carb-laden dinner. This happens every couple of weeks or so. I'm still not sure whether I consider those days "bad" because they don't have any ill effects and I don't gain weight from them as long as I don't overeat.

Other than that, I'm an inveterate nibbler. I'm sure it works against me at times, but I'm not willing to give it up!

Freelance
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:27 PM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

This is a great idea!

Bad habit (I have so many):
Overeating at night

Solution:
Save calories for the night and stick with those if possible.

Bad habit:
Preventative eating. I will eat because I think that there will be no heatlhy food later on and that I'll end up eating something off plan.

Solution:
Take a healthy snack with me and not eat until I"m actually hungry. Or just have a tiny snack if I'm going to be in a place where eating is not acceptable.

Bad habit:
I eat something off plan and get completely derailed.

Solution:
I try to make sure that if I am having something off plan, it's not only within my caloric budget, but that it is also at the end of the day, so less time to feel guilty.

Mainly, I still really struggle with my binge eating disorder so even the above solutions don't always work. There are times when I just can't stay on plan and can gain weight very rapidly. I look forward to hearing other people's responses.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:34 AM   #4  

Thanks luckymommyandfreelancemomma.
FLMomma, is your solution to a carb-laden day just to cut yourself some slack and remain calm about it? Doesn't seem that bad to me!
I definitely think that trying to minimise the amount of guilt that you attach to food is important.

Here is another
BAD HABIT:

If I slip up and eat something rubbishy in the early part of the day, I have a tendency to think 'oh well, I've blown it anyway' and then proceed to eat loads of stuff, as if that's not going to make any difference.

SOLUTION:

The long term solution for this one is to keep a food diary/count cal. Then, if I lose it early, I still have the motivation to keep on track for the rest of the day.
The other thing I'm finding helps is that I'm currently doing IF using the 5"2 so I leave a lot of my eating until after noon so it leaves less time for less calories to be consumed.

not particularly good solutions I know! If anyone has a way to stop themselves in that particular moment, I'd love to know.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:30 PM   #5  

Good idea for a thread! (Keep in mind that these solutions do not work 100% of the time).

Bad Habit: Eating sweets after dinner

Solution: Don't buy sweets, so there's nothing in the house to tempt me. Also, if I can avoid eating sweets after dinner for at least three days, it's much easier after that. Finally, I let loose 2-3 nights a week (weekends), and knowing that I can do that makes it easier to resist on the other days.

Bad Habit: Bites, licks, nibbles

Solution: Have people serve themselves rather than me serving them (eliminating at least one source of the temptation)
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:54 PM   #6  

lin43 thanks for your bad habit! I also find that allowing myself to have a few treats on the weekend really helps me NOT have sweets after dinner. If i do an ALL OR NOTHING form of dieting I an much more likely to fall off the wagon and eat rubbish through the week. Learning to be moderate is so hard!!
Old 02-27-2014, 10:53 AM   #7  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

hmmm- this morning "feedbackers" did the same in a thread I belong to, quoted what I said but did not indicate it as a quote and added nothing...?

Anyway...great ideas to share. I also have so many bad habits it will be hard to address them all.

Too big portions at dinner - All I can do is try to mange a decent portion of protein, then add lots of veggies/salad, and hope it fills me.

Eating dinner too quickly! I tend to INHALE and will try to learn to take a breath once in a while, lol. That means put my fork down, maybe fold my hands in lap, ask DH or son how their day was. And maybe a big glass of water with dinner to help fill the void.

Eating after dinner...if I can fit calorically or carb-wise, a small roll or piece of bread with dinner, i don't eat it during dinner; I save it for after the dishes are done and kitchen is cleaned up; then I toast it and have it with a cup of coffee. By this time it should be around 7:30 or 8 pm and then tell myself 'The kitchen is closed'.

Feeling that when I experience hunger, it's the end of the world - I don't know why this is so hard for me, if I start to feel hungry, I get angry if I can't satisfy that right away. I was not starved as a child, lol. I need to try to assign a number from 1 to 10 to my hunger and classify it that way.

I do have a temporary problem (till mid April) that I'm at a job that they do not let me step away for 5 minutes to eat lunch..yes they suck but that is the reality and I have to deal with it. So I stand in a corner and eat something that I've brought from home..it has to be squishy and soft so it doesn't require much chewing sad but true. So I keep greek yogurt at work (plus my own spoon; plus a packet of sugar free Lemon Jello which I sprinkle over it , so good) and a one cup container of something like chili or stew or such. I still have to put it down even after one friggin bite sometimes (there's that anger, lol) but eventually I get it all down inside me .

Moments of wanting to give up because something looks delicious, or someone else in the room is snacking on Goldfish or Chex Mix or ice cream...well the obvious solution would be not to have it in the house, but if someone else buys it, it's there. So I have to stay strong in my resolve, that I will not get to my goals unless I stick to plan. I try to visualise what I want to wear, how I want to look, how much better I will feel.

Upcoming events I want to feel good at - our son is getting married in mid-September, and it will be very casual, I don't have to worry about a 'mother of the groom' dress per say, but I want to feel confident and not worry about my looks, when all focus should be on 'the kids' Also I'm sure there will be pre-wedding get togethers with the young lady's family, and none of them have weight problems.

During winter I research baking recipes to add to my repetoire at my summer/fall job, which is pastry baking in a lodge. Yeah It is very hard for me to read about pastries and such, my stomach starts growling, I don't start drooling but it's close, lol. I just have to consider it part of my job and not think about jumping up and baking a half batch of cupcakes just because I can.

I successfully lost weight a few years ago and maintained at around 145 for a couple years; so I cling to the hope that i can do it again! (and with all the above problems)
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:24 AM   #8  
Battling Binge Eating

S/C/G: 228/179/150

Height: 5'5 1/2

Quote:
Too big portions at dinner - All I can do is try to mange a decent portion of protein, then add lots of veggies/salad, and hope it fills me.

Eating dinner too quickly! I tend to INHALE and will try to learn to take a breath once in a while, lol. That means put my fork down, maybe fold my hands in lap, ask DH or son how their day was. And maybe a big glass of water with dinner to help fill the void.

Eating after dinner...if I can fit calorically or carb-wise, a small roll or piece of bread with dinner, i don't eat it during dinner; I save it for after the dishes are done and kitchen is cleaned up; then I toast it and have it with a cup of coffee. By this time it should be around 7:30 or 8 pm and then tell myself 'The kitchen is closed'.
I have all three of these issues. I also have another, I tend to "snack" on what I am preparing for dinner BEFORE it is dinner. If I am cutting up veggies, cheese, or any item that can be eat before it becomes dinner, I do it
I noticed this a while ago, I honestly can say there are sometimes I snack so much while I am cooking that I'm no longer hungry when dinner is ready. To help with that I try to make sure I have had something to eat and am not famished when its time to prepare dinner.

I am horrible at skipping meals and then I inhale things when I get home because I'm "starving". I had that problem earlier this week when I hadn't eaten anything all day and got home from work hungry.

This week I have tried to eat a small snack of veggies and dip before I cook, and also take my vitamins before I cook dinner with a large glass of water.
mainecyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:56 PM   #9  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainecyn View Post

This week I have tried to eat a small snack of veggies and dip before I cook, and also take my vitamins before I cook dinner with a large glass of water.
WTG on identifying and then addressing the problems!
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:40 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 229/216/180

Height: 5'4"

When drinking diet soda or iced tea I will eat about 4 Tostito chips because they are salty and I know that will make me enjoy my drink even more..sounds crazy doesn't it?

Eating a little something in the middle of the night because I wake up.
Solution: Though I feel hungry, I don't think I'm hungry enough to actually take a bite of anything.

Eating too much bread because I love it.
Solution: Currently working on eating more protein.
Waterbunny77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:43 PM   #11  

Oh boy, waterbunny
I LOVE bread!

My solution to this is that I only make my own. Therefore having a slice of buttery toast (hmmmm) requires LOADS of effort! We only buy bread occasionally as a treat for toast or sandwiches on the weekend and sometimes I get bread for the kids but keep it in the freezer.

Bread is amazing....
Old 03-04-2014, 05:24 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 105kg/103kg/60kg

Height: 1.60m

Quote:
Originally Posted by marthamay View Post
Oh boy, waterbunny
I LOVE bread!

My solution to this is that I only make my own. Therefore having a slice of buttery toast (hmmmm) requires LOADS of effort! We only buy bread occasionally as a treat for toast or sandwiches on the weekend and sometimes I get bread for the kids but keep it in the freezer.

Bread is amazing....
Add a little Vegemite and I'm in heaven
JamieToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:49 PM   #13  

Oh yes Vegemite on buttery toast...another reason never to have bread in the house!