Old 02-23-2014, 08:37 PM   #1  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

Default Exercise advice

Okay, so I am getting married in May. My wedding dress fits okay, but I would like to lose between 5-10 lbs and maintain until the wedding. I'm thinking that a little cycling of walking and running will be good. I would also like to tone my arms a little.

Any suggestions? I will still be doing weight watchers.
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:10 AM   #2  
Less of a Better Me

About 10 weeks until the wedding? If so, then 5 to 10 pounds seems reasonable just through regular following of the program. I do a lot of walking and find that helps me a lot. If you can run that burns calories faster (I have bad knees so it is out for me). For toning arms, then maybe get some dumbbells and do a little weight lifting.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:51 AM   #3  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Pick a distance you want to be able to run or walk and start a training program to do it. What about being able to run 5km.

You could probably walk 5km right now if you make the time. There are training programs on the net to help work up gradually to this goal. Don't push yourself too hard the first week. I find going every second day good. Its gives your body time to heal and rest if you are not used to it. Overtraining causes injuries so never to push too far beyond what you've been doing. Increase gradually.

Make sure you wear very good shoes, especially for walking to avoid blisters. To help avoid blisters, you can put tape on your toes as well. Though you might not get them for 5km. I tend to start out walking about 8km and then i get them on my inner back heel. I guess it will depend on your shoes. You can also wear an extra pair of socks.

For running you want shoes with lots of cushioning to avoid getting shin splints. And you want them lightweight. My favourite shoe brand is ascis. new balance is also good. And it seems to depend on the shape of your feet.

Get them fitted up in a shop and see if you can find them cheaper on the net afterwards.

To get much benefit from cycling, you need to do it for long periods or go uphill. Too much uphill work when you are not strong in the knees could cause injury though so you need to pace yourself if you take that option. I do a lot of cycling at times. I ride all day when i go travelling. But if you have knee issues, cycling is not a bad idea.

Swimming is also a good exercise as is yoga, though there are different types so its worth looking around for a class you really like. My favourite is iyengar which is good for strength and flexibility. Ashtanga is good for cardio as i recall. Its the one that does fast sequences. It will vary from teacher to teacher.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:18 AM   #4  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattience View Post
Get them fitted up in a shop and see if you can find them cheaper on the net afterwards.
I don't feel good about doing this. At least consider buying the first pair in the shop!
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:11 PM   #5  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Mars, if you don't feel ok with it, don't do it. But when money is limited, you have to do what you have to do. If money is not an issue, buy them in the shop.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:09 PM   #6  
Loving Simply Filling

S/C/G: 195/161.4/164

Swimming is great for the arms, really tightens everything up. If you can take a spinning/cycle fit class that is better then just biking outside, as they will really push you.
Dixiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:42 PM   #7  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Thanks everyone for advice. Tonight won't be the night for going to gym, Just got home and cooked dinner. So sleepy!
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:25 PM   #8  
Never Giving Up

S/C/G: Going from chubby to not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattience View Post
Mars, if you don't feel ok with it, don't do it. But when money is limited, you have to do what you have to do. If money is not an issue, buy them in the shop.
My hubby and daughter are both runners, they order their shoes online all the time. Order from a place with free returns and you will have no problems.

But one time, we did go into Nordstroms for some walking shoes and then felt bad for the salesman because he works on commission so we just let him have the sale.
Serenity100 is offline   Reply With Quote