Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-22-2014, 12:42 PM   #1  
Never Giving Up

S/C/G: Going from chubby to not

Talking Those Pesty Girl Scouts

It's Girl Scout Cookie season in these parts, and I have been avoiding those Girl Scouts like land mines. Thin Mints is my crack. Here they have them at the exit of malls, banks and supermarkets with their cute little faces.

Last week, some little Daisy Scouts got to me, so I bought only one box and then promptly gave them to hubby and said "hide these". He promptly ate the entire box and didn't gain an ounce.

So today, leaving the store, I was just out the door, and then one of the moms happened to be my hairdresser, called my name. Now of course I bought the thin mints again. Why? I should have bought a flavor I don't care for. So those are in hiding now too.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited by Serenity100; 02-22-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Serenity100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 178/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I feel your pain! Thankfully, my very thin family members with the high metabolism have made the cookies disappear really quickly in my house.

Last edited by Moving Forward; 02-22-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:00 PM   #3  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Oh boy, I feel your pain also! However, currently they are in plain view on top of the fridge. I had a few last night from each box, jeez. So far, so good today. /sigh
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:30 PM   #4  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

I share your pain.

I, too, fear those bright, expectant faces that delight in me walking away with a deadly box of Thin Mint Cookies.

I can only offer the word that describes it:
Parthenophobia - Fear of young girls [selling Girl Scout cookies].
Perhaps, armed with the proper word, you can find resistance.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 270/248/150

Height: 5'3

The girls scouts have a program where you can buy some cookies for the troops over seas. That's what I did.
Zigzagzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

LOL it's funny because I like their cookies alright, but then when I see how many calories are in those dry little suckers I think it's totally not worth it!

Just a suggestion, once when I just "had" to have a cookie, I made a little concoction....plain greek yogurt, artificial sweetener, and crumbled one cookie on top. The yogurt filled me up and the one cookie was enough to satisfy my craving.

Another suggestion, if they are just too much temptation is there a neighbor or friend you could give them to? Consider it a gift to give away.
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:56 PM   #7  
Slow and Steady

S/C/G: 176/176/145

Height: 5'3"

Oh man, I was thinking about coming here to have a grumble if someone hadn't already started a thread, so thanks Serenity100!

At lunch yesterday my husband came into my office all excited and presented 3 boxes of girl scout cookies he had bought, like I was supposed to be thrilled to see them. Nope, nope, nope. I told him they better stay hidden in his office and don't you dare bring them home. They're too tempting!

This and a friend's kid is selling candy bars to raise money for an academic achievement conference he's attending with his school. I already told his mother that I'd be happy to donate money, but I don't want to see a single candy bar- she can keep them! I know sweets are a popular item for fundraisers, but I'd much rather buy something non-food related, to be perfectly honest. Or just donate the money period.
LovesToTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:16 PM   #8  
High Fat/Low Carb=Happy!

Height: 5'9" Age: 50

Personally I think it should be illegal for anybody to solicit at the entrance/exit of any store. It's a massive guilt tactic.

I actually have gluten intolerance so I get to look at little children and say, "No". Makes me feel like Cruella DeVille.
ReNew Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:29 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/133/140

Height: 5'2"

I bought one box from both young neighbors selling them; thin mints and the coconut ones. I planned to bring them to the YMCA and leave them in the lounge where the seniors have coffee an' every morning - - - I ended up EATING one entire sleeve from each box and somehow managing to bring one entire sleeve of each kind to the Y. I am still surprised I did not eat all!
EasySpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:43 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReNew Me View Post
Personally I think it should be illegal for anybody to solicit at the entrance/exit of any store. It's a massive guilt tactic.

I actually have gluten intolerance so I get to look at little children and say, "No". Makes me feel like Cruella DeVille.
I have blood sugar issues so I hear what you are saying. It's the same when we have parties at work. People insist I need cake. For some reason No isn't enough. I either have to explain (for the umpteenth time) that I have issues with my blood sugar or I take it and pitch it in the garbage (which makes it hard to resist!)
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:01 PM   #11  
losing it for good

S/C/G: 219.2/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

There were three separate tables of them set up today at the strip mall where my grocery store is located. One of them was actually in front of a dentist office. Really?!?

I have no problem resisting them. I like a few of the varieties but not enough to give in. Plus I find it irritating that they hassle every single person that goes in AND out of the store. And I rarely have cash, so that seals the deal for me.
forkeeps2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:37 PM   #12  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

I work at a school and I get any number of little girl scouts bugging me to buy cookies from each one *sigh* I developed a rule a long time ago....I will ONLY buy from the first girl who asks me and no one else and I NEVER buy the samoas....I could eat BOXES of those things all the others I can pass up fairly well....I especially don't like the peanut butter flavored/filled ones, which my DH loves, so when I buy some it's always the peanut butter ones and they go to DH and the kids and i'm not tempted because those taste horrible to me

so those are my rules: 1) I only buy from one girl scout and 2) only order/buy the kind I can't stand LOL...it's worked pretty well for a long time now
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:22 AM   #13  
Cat Cuddler

S/C/G: 287/266/150

Just like what LovesToTravel mentioned, what I do when I want to support an organization is give them some money, but I don't take the cookies. They usually are surprised but very happy to get the donation. They understand when I tell them that I can't eat the cookies.

Last edited by doingmybest; 02-23-2014 at 04:25 AM.
doingmybest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:37 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 207/174/125

Earlier this month I bought 5 boxes The cute little girl wrote out how much it would mean to her and what local organizations her troop helps and that her goal was 250 boxes and left it with the ordering sheet & her picture in my jobs break room. Day after day I'd see the empty ordering sheet and felt so bad that I caved and bought 5 boxes. Oh man when she showed up at my house I though she was so cute but then after she left and I was standing there with my arm fills of cookies I thought "WTF did I do???" I gave my a box each to my mom and dad but now I still have 3 boxes on my bedrooms floor just staring at me....waiting.....

Last edited by Misa66; 02-23-2014 at 07:38 AM.
Misa66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:31 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by vealcalf2000 View Post
I have blood sugar issues so I hear what you are saying. It's the same when we have parties at work. People insist I need cake. For some reason No isn't enough. I either have to explain (for the umpteenth time) that I have issues with my blood sugar or I take it and pitch it in the garbage (which makes it hard to resist!)
Food pushers are the WORST!! I too have had high blood sugar, as does my father. I am just really prone to it if I don't watch out, and it is really irritating when people at my old job got "fake concerned" if I didn't scarf down junk food. My new workplace so far doesn't seem to be like that, so its sort of comforting to know that sometimes, we just happen to work with irritating pushers, but it doesn't have to be that way.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote