Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-21-2014, 01:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 150 / 147 / 135

Height: 5'2"

Default Alternatives to eggs for breakfast?

I love eggs. I would and have eaten them pretty much every day of my life so far. I have recently developed an egg allergy (nooooooooooooooooooo!! ) and get debilitating pain anytime I eat them..

What do you chicks eat for breakfast? cuz I've got no idea what to do anymore!
Naaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:59 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Smoothies
Tofu scramble (bell peppers and asparagus are really good additions)
Hummus/veggie wrap
oatmeal (or similar hot cereal) with almond butter
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:33 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 217.6/153.2/140

Height: 5'5

Le sigh. I feel your pain. I'm trying to wean myself off too. It's a sad state of affairs.
xRiotGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:36 PM   #4  
diamondgeog

That stinks. Eggs are so healthy. I'd see if there was anyway you could overcome the allergy? Ironically I've found I am slightly allergic to soy.

It is amazing the past few months having now eaten whole foods for awhile, if I add anything back it impacts me so much more than before. I went for chicken wings last week at a place I've gone to hundreds of times the last 8 years.

Their wings gave me a massive headache. I could not figure it out until I asked the oil they fried it in, soy. Before I eat so many processed foods and out more often my body kind of muted reactions.

Our daughter had a slight egg allergy. We would give her eggs in small doses and carefully monitor her and she is now fine.

I am bummed for you for eggs. Oh almost forgot. There is something called Amazing Grass I get on Amazon. So HEALTHY. You can mix it with Nutiva organic protein hemp. Or you can get Healthy Skoop, google it. A little more expensive.

Or heck google Bulletproof coffee. A bulletproof coffee and an Amazing Grass meal and you will be on cloud 9 till way past lunch. Amazing Grass comes in lots of different flavors. The meal packets are around 100 calories, the big canisters have about a third of that per serving. So when pricing it on Amazon realize the meals are not three times as much per serving. Each meal packet is essentially three scoops of the big canisters.

Maybe also try organic eggs before you give them up?

Last edited by diamondgeog; 02-21-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:39 PM   #5  
diamondgeog

And if you are having allergies of any kind I highly suggest going grain free. Grains lead to inflammation for many people. I used to have massive allergies as Austin is the allergy capital of the country.

After going grain free no more allergies, no more Claritin, and no more back pain. Inflammation in my body massively down. If you get rid of that inflammation you may find your body can handle eggs.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:46 AM   #6  
maintaining since 9/2013

Can you tell if it's the yolk or the white? Maybe there is one part of the egg that you're ok with. If you can find them, you might try eggs from local pasteur-raised chickens.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:22 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I agree that having an egg allergy would be a real bummer and I do hope you can find a way to mitigate it.

In regards to your original question, you should eat whatever you want for breakfast... anything that is in line with your way of eating (breakfast itself isn't included in my current WOE, but most folks do choose to eat breakfast).

There's no reason you can eat leftovers from dinner or lunch food for breakfast. For something that seems "eggy" you might try soft/silken tofu with curry (makes it yellow and adds some flavor) along with other add-ins to make it a dish you like. You might try any other source of low-fat protein, like chicken meat if you want a similar food profile. You might also try looking into vegan products that are used as egg substitutes. For example, there's something called Vegg. I haven't tried it (no egg allergy here) and it's processed so it's up to you if you want to go that route.

Good luck with finding some substitutes and I hope the egg allergy resolves itself.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:22 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I've recently started having full fat greek yogurt (I buy it in the big tubs) with frozen berries and honey. I was trying to move away from breads at breakfast, and this is nice because it is easily portable if I want to bring it to work and cheaper than buying the small containers.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 150 / 147 / 135

Height: 5'2"

Thank you everyone!! Great suggestions. <3

I haven't tried to see if it's the white or yolk that makes me sick.. and honestly it's a little bit scary to even think about. It really does hurt and nothing makes it go away except time.. and sometimes it lasts upwards of three hours.

And it might make sense to try organic eggs again. When I was living on my own all I had were organic, cage/free/range eggs ($6 for 12!! ouch!).. but now that I'm back at my mom's house it's the crappy, caged, non-organic ($5 for 32 or something like that..).. and this is where the allergy started.
Naaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:34 PM   #10  
fluffy

S/C/G: 204/201/174

Height: 5'6''

Naaria, are you sure, that it's an egg allergy? Gallbladder stones can also be the reason for severe pain close to your stomach after eating eggs – especially if it appears more than an hour after eating them.

If you are really sure and you got yourself tested, I'm sorry. When baking, chia seeds can be a really good egg suplement.
Velvet bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:30 PM   #11  

My dinners are packed with protein and loaded with veggies, so I take some leftovers, add a piece of fruit and call it breakfast the next morning.
icantbelieveit is offline   Reply With Quote