Old 02-12-2014, 01:21 PM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #72

Good afternoon, ladies! 26 degrees and waiting for more sleet and snow tonight. I am so ready for warmer weather.

I'm having surgery on my foot again. This time to remove a bone from my big toe. It's OP so no big deal.

With boss on vacation, I'm working every day and tired. I'm thinking about retiring this year for sure. I'll have to tighten the budget, but I really don't need to be spending anymore on quilting as I have way too much fabric and notions already. That will save a bunch. LOL

Faye, I'm so thankful everything came out okay for you. What a relief!

Jean, I have a few toys I can't part with so that'll be left to some else to throw them out when I die. I'm doing a pretty good job of weeding other stuff out. I took a big trash bag full of quilting fabric and notions I no longer want to guild last night for the donation table and it was all gone by the end of the meeting.

Maggie, I know you can do this so just write what you bite! It always seems harder for me to stick with it in the winter.

Have a wonderful evening!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:51 PM   #2  

Good morning gals. I must have been dreaming as I thought I came in here, but guess I didn't. I sat at the PC and paid bills today so I could change my budget on my spreadsheet. I go to my budget and change the color from red, which means needs paying to purple, which means I paid whatever it was. On the paydays where I have both Navy retirement and City paycheck, but they are a couple days apart, then I used red and green for stuff that needs paying, ie my mortgage is paid always with the Navy retirement so it would be green, where utility bill or other stuff would be in red. It is one way this old lady doesn't forget to pay stuff.

I cleaned the downstairs today, shredded chicken and put it back in the ff chicken broth and will cook noodles in them for dinner tonight. I made cole slaw that has a nice asian dressing and I will have that with the chicken and noodles tonight.

I am feeling ok, but I have to wear this bra or standing up and walking really hurts. I figure it is the breast hanging causes pulling where the tissue was removed. It will get better evenutally and as long as I have a bra on, it doesn't hurt. I have a recheck appt next Tuesday.

Jean: Kelly had 8 Cabbage Patch dolls and they were her little family. I even bought a set of dolls that looked alike except one was a boy and one was a girl and she got them for Christmas as twins. I had sent away for a new birth certificates for them so their birthdays matched. My husband did a horrible thing and got in big trouble. He took a washable marker and gave one of the dolls the measles one year. Kelly wanted us to take Cassy to the dr and everything. Poor little thing actually thought she had the measles. I chewed Jack out but good for that stunt. I told Kelly I took her to the dr and the doctor gave me medicine for her. I had taken the doll and washed it thoroughly while she was at school then put calamine lotion all over her in little dabs. I left it a couple days then we gave Cassy a bath (well her face anyway since the rest of them is cloth) and she was well again from the medicine. Kelly was in kindergarten and never noticed only her face had the measles.

Susan: Hope your foot is better real soon. Sometimes we just have to give ourselves a break and retire. I too have tons of stuff for my knitting. I just love to see new colors and thinking about what I could make with whatever the yarn is. I have quit just buying yarn though and just get what I need for a project. I ordered a purple paisley sparkly dress for the cruise for formal night and want to make a shawl to go with it. I found this great yarn that has sparkle in it and think it would be perfect, but I have to get stuff I have started done first.

Well gals, need to check my yeast rolls and get my lunch dishes cleaned up. You all have a great day. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:08 PM   #3  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Thursday

GOOD AFTERNOON IN FEBRUARY MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

SUSAN Thanks so much for starting a new page for us Magnolias. I do know your boss will surely miss you if and when you do retire for you are definitely an asset to that company. It is fun to donate things and see that others will get good use out of the “stuff” isn’t it.

Not much out of the ordinary happening here in the ♥-Land except for the fact it is warming up somewhat each day. I just finished reading another book by Robert Crais. I like his books that have a private eye and his partner that is more action than talk in them.

I have been having fun cooking things out of our freezers to use what we have in them so we can sell them this summer. I may just get all the meat cooked before we need to. At least I will give it a good try to cook all that is in them including the veggies, etc. I date everything I freeze so if I don’t get it all cooked I can give it away to friends if the dates are still good. I won’t miss much that I need to sell or give away but will probably miss not having those freezers.

JEAN I hope you are having a lovely day and staying warm.

DONNA FAYE I love those Cabbage Patch Kids. I have one that a little girl gave to me for Christmas one year many years ago when we lived in the north woods of MN. Currently she lives on a shelf hear in my office. She is wearing a pair of glasses that the lenses are clear with sun glass circles that flip up to the side.

Have a good day my cyber friends.
Always remember ~ Never, never, never give up
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:35 PM   #4  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining, the wind is blowing, and it's a cold 12 degrees outside. We got another dusting of snow this morning. Bob washed my car last night but you'd never know it now. I had lab work done at 8 this morning and then went back to visit with the doctor at 9. All the numbers were pretty much the same as last time, so it was "see you in 6 months!" Then I braved the grocery store; gas has gone up $.23 in the last couple days and I got $.35 off a gallon of gas today for whenever Bob needs to fill his pickup. I have to return library books this afternoon and do the weekly gift shop report. Our banks are closed Monday so will make the deposit tomorrow morning.

Susan -- Sorry about your weather; seems like we all are having crazy weather this winter. I hope your foot surgery doesn't slow you down too much. When is it? Thanks for starting the new thread for us. I'm sure your boss will miss you when you retire. I still have a few toys that I want my kids to save for their grandchildren, so I will hang on to them. It seems like they don't have the sentimental attachment to "things" like I do.

"Gma" -- Does Jack understand your color coding on your budget spreadsheet? I pay all the household bills and I've told Bob if I die first, he will have to wait until all the checks clear to know how much money there is. I subtract money from the checkbook balance, each month, to pay taxes or big ticket items. It's too bad Thomas wouldn't have enjoyed Kelly's Cabbage Patch dolls. I think I still have the birth certificates around here somewhere. Beth changed both names though, after people that she knew and liked.

Maggie -- I always smile when you say you went grocery shopping in your freezer. Good idea to use up as much as you can before you leave. Hope your weather is warming up again. We are supposed to be in the 40s next week when we are gone.

I need to get to the library before the crazy drivers are coming out when school dismisses. Enjoy the rest of your day and evening!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:44 AM   #5  

Good morning to you all. It is chilly this morning, but it did warm up into the upper 40's yesterday even with the rain so it wasn't bad. Jack took me to dinner last night for Valentine's Day and it was lovely, but by the end of the meal, my breast was pretty sore so we didn't linger.

Kelly said Thomas only had half day yesterday and she called him and told him his gift from us was out on the front porch to go get it. She said she got home last night and he was munching on part of the stuff so I guess I did good. I got him a Cheryl's gift box of buttercream cookies, choc chip, brownines, choc covered pretzels, etc. Jackson didn't get his as they left for Mexico yesterday morning so I ask Jay to have one of their friends go get it and put it in the house as it showed being delivered and sitting on the porch. I hope they made it ok as he was supposed to text me and let me know, but he didn't.

Talked to my best friend of 47 years yesterday for 90 minutes to catch up. I think it was me talking mostly telling her about the breast thing as she had been concerned. I sure do miss her and wish she lived closer so we could do things together again, but I am sure not moving up there again.

Maggie: Kelly had some cute dolls. Her first one Cassy is had brown hair and she had one named Patience that had blond hair, but the rest of them, I can't remember. I read a couple series recently you might like the one. The other one is a bit raw with regards to language and such. I will have to look the one up. I like what they call hardboiled detective novels, which usually means set in the 30's and 40's like Micky Spillane stuff. I am reading a Sara Paretsky VI Warshawski novel at the moment and just finished a Robert B Parker novel he never finished and his wife allowed his agent to finish and publish. I thought she sweetened Spenser a bit too much and took away his sarcasm that Parker always put in his books but it was a good book. I have been knitting some, but frankly being a left handed knitter that arm rubs against where my breast was operated on and makes it sore so I don't do a whole lot.

Jean: Jack doesn't know the color coding, but I have a folder I drop all the envelopes of bills like utility, phone and such in that sits in the computer cabinet and I have two spreadsheets I have shown him. One says budget and is just that the budget for the year and the other one is expenses and lists everything that has to be paid, when and how often, like the phone bill is due by the 25th and paid monthly, but sirrius xm for the car is due quarterly and paid by the first of certain months so the spreadsheet says due by the first of, let's say Jan, April, July, etc, etc. So if I die he can continue to pay the bills and not forget anything. I don't have buy one bill auto pay as I have had bad experiences with that. His student loan is auto pay, but I have about 30 months left and it will be paid off. I think Jack's problem would definitely be house cleaning. He would never make the bed and I am afraid the toilets would get pretty ugly. He told me he would get fat because he would pick something up from takeout on his way home from work to eat instead of cooking, but he can cook some.

Well girls, better go. We are supposed to get the garment bag I ordered delievered FEDEX today, but they never updated so I have no clue where the darn thing is as per usual. Have a great Saturday all. Faye
Old 02-15-2014, 09:32 AM   #6  

Good morning, ladies. 44 degrees and rain right now.

Wednesday evening we had 2 inches of snow by the time I went to bed and when I got up in the morning, it was all gone! It changed to rain and sleet in the night. We have rain on tap all week but it'll be in the 60s and 70s. I hope to never see snow again this year.

I went to Trader Joe's yesterday and they had almost no bread or baked goods and produce was sparse. The manager said their warehouse is in Atlanta and the trucks were still not moving well on the way here.

I like to read scientific things and Thursday when I was at my research study appointment the doc talked about "Grain Brain." I went home and downloaded it and began reading. Basically, they are finding grains are causing brain problems like alzheimers and dementia, brain fog, Parkinson's, and many others. Diabetics are twice as likely to get alzheimers if they continue a high carb diet. I'm about half way through. The doctor who wrote it is the only board certified nuerologist who also is also board certified in nutrition in the US. He basically advocates low glycemic fruit, lots of vegetables, meat, fish, poultry, and good fat. It is interesting that in comparing DNA of the cave man and modern man, it hasn't changed but our eating style has since the agricultural revolution and we are now have many diseases and overweight because we are genetically not able to process sugar and sugar substitutes, dairy and grains well. He has many scientific studies cited in the bibliography for further study. I know it is pretty much what I eat (except I have dairy) and I am doing so much better since the study started. My lung function is now up to 61% of normal and all I have changed is the way I eat.

Faye, being along I have all my recurring bills set up for automatic payment a week before they are due to be paid. That way, if I am hospitalized or away for some reason, they are still paid on time. I hope you get back to feeling good soon!

Jean, my food surgery will be March 6. The big Mid Atlantic Quilt Show is the last weekend in February and I sure couldn't have my foot done until that is over. I'm really looking forward to it. As part of the research study, I have complete blood work every month. My numbers have always been great and they are hanging in there. My total chloresterol has gone up a little but I was trying for that as it was too low! Long live bacon and butter!

Maggie, once a month I go through the pantry and freezer and get together everything that will need to be used in the next month. It's fun planning meals with things I might not have though of putting together except for necessity. I found sliced goat cheese at Trader Joe's yesterday. It's the perfect size for a sandwich or grilled cheese. I have some high protein low carb tortillas so I'm going to make a Quesada for lunch with it and veggies.

Have a wonderful day.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:06 AM   #7  

Good Morning, Flowers! The wind is blowing and it has been spitting snow off and on all morning. Bob is out running errands and I have laundry going. Plan for the day is to vacuum, get rid of the clutter piles, and figure out what clothes to pack.

"Gma" -- We have all of our utilities on automatic payment at the bank, but each of us still have our own credit card bills. Bob gets all of our insurance automatically deducted from his business account. I keep telling him he should start changing his address to the house so it's right when he finally retires. I hope Jackson's Valentine package is safely with the neighbor. Beth's dog, Fred, ate all of Kolby's Valentine candy that he was going to take to school. Fortunately, they had enough time to replace it. I asked if he got sick and she said no, that it was more peanut butter than chocolate. He also polished off a box of Girl Scout cookies.

Susan -- I haven't heard about the "Grain Brain" study but will definitely check it out. Amanda's mom, being diabetic and a nurse, will find it interesting I'm sure. Will you have to wear one of those "funny" shoes after surgery? I had to chuckle at you planning around the quilt show and I don't blame you a bit! Sometime ago I read an article on Facebook about how margarine is almost like eating plastic. I always liked butter better anyhow!

I need to get moving and check the washer and dryer which both should be finished by now. Hope you all enjoy a relaxing weekend!
Old 02-16-2014, 10:24 AM   #8  

Good morning, ladies! The sun is out this morning but its still in the 30s.

After I posted yesterday, Sandy called and we did some shopping and then had dinner at IHOP. I get their talipia and double broccoli. While we were out and about we had rain, snow, and finally sun! In a space of 4 hours. The garden stores are starting to stock for spring so I have hope! After all, we'll be turning the clocks ahead March 9. I can't wait to complain about the heat and humidity.

Jean, I will have my "funny" shoe once again. I kept it after the first surgery and just keep using it over instead of getting another one each time. I'll also be using my cane for a couple of weeks as a precaution against falling although he did say I could do my yoga since it is low impact. I need to put my shoe on and try it at home!

Have a wonderful day.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:11 PM   #9  

Good Morning! I'm home to work on clothes packing, then will go back to church for the spaghetti dinner at noon. Bob's group is singing today. It's a cloudy day but NO wind for a nice change. I didn't think I would be counting since the banks are closed tomorrow. The gal who does the balancing part/bank run has to report for Federal Grand Jury, in Sioux City, on Tuesday, so we're counting tomorrow and the secretary will have to go to the bank.

Susan -- I had one of those funny shoes, but think I donated it to the Good Will when I was done with it. I'm glad you can still do your yoga. . I am ready for spring flowers! I did notice WM has flower seeds and starter plants on some of the leftover Christmas shelves. Their toy aisles were a disaster! I don't know if they are moving the whole department or down sizing after Christmas, but like things weren't together, opened packages, etc.

I need to keep moving but wishing you all a nice day!
Old 02-16-2014, 03:34 PM   #10  

Good afternoon ladies. We had commissary shopping to do today and then back home to put it all away, UGH! I do two weeks of shopping at a time so it is a lot of bags of groceries and we still have stuff we have to get at Krogers that the commissary didn't have.

It is lovely and sunny here today in the low 50's which is great IMO. Jack was reading out temps in the caribbean and in Florida and told him to quit torturing himself.

I got an email from the female friend we are cruising with and she always cracks me up. She is Mexican and I sometimes wonder if she realizes she doesn't finish her thoughts and such or gets mixed up or whatever. She does it to me constantly and so I can't respond to her properly because I am not sure what she is telling or asking me. It can be pretty funny sometimes. We sure are looking forward to a week of hot sunny days.

I have my recheck dr appt on Tuesday. I noticed spotting on my bra and I think it is from the bra rubbing the breast and possible rubbing off the scab and such as the incision is always dry so it isn't seeping or leaking blood, besides it is totally healed. The "glue" isn't coming off very quickly though. I haven't seen any of it peeling off at all. I know it is more debilitating for me than any of my abdomen surgeries though and they were much more invasive and such.

I got a picture and text from my son saying they got to Mexico fine and were enjoying the weather. I bet considering at home they have about 3 ft of snow, more in places the plows have piled it up. Here is Jackson in Guadalajara smelling the roses with all those teeth missing. I told him he was going to need dentures if they didn't grow back. He sure is growing up fast. I think he is going to be tall like his dad is.

Jean: Jay and Alicia's best friend came to the house and put the box in their house so it is safe and sound. Jackson will have a nice surprise when he gets home. How was the spaghetti lunch? WTG Fred! I feel bad for Kolby, but sounds like Fred had a great time. What kind of dog is it? Fortune got into a bag of Reeses Peanut Butter Cups several years ago and munched them down, aluminum foil and all and never did get sick.

Susan: Take care of that foot when you get it done. Glad you had a nice time with your friend.

Well, Jack needs to show me something so I have to skedaddle. Have a nice Sunday. Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jacksoninmexico.jpg (36.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 02-16-2014, 05:23 PM   #11  

"Gma" -- In case I don't get in here tomorrow, Fred is a basset hound. He looks just like the dog in the movie Smokey and the Bandit. I think it was Reese's peanut butter cups that he ate. The kids don't push their chairs up to the table and Fred is long enough that he puts his front paws on the chair and can reach pretty far across the table. I'm just glad he didn't get sick, or worse yet die! Jackson really looks like Thomas! Cute picture!

Last edited by Jean; 02-16-2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:02 PM   #12  

We are in Omaha, have eaten supper, and settled in for the night. I'm thinking 2:30 wake up, 4:00 breakfast, and leave for the airport at 4:30. Short night! I most likely won't get in here tomorrow so have a terrific Tuesday!
Old 02-18-2014, 11:13 AM   #13  

Sitting in the Phoenix airport people watching for a couple hours. My early morning is catching up with me and think a nap will be in order once we get underway again. When I was filling out the paper work for leaving the car, I realized I thought we were coming home on the wrong day! We won't be home until the 5th. Hope you all are enjoying your day!
Old 02-19-2014, 07:21 AM   #14  

Good morning to you gals. It is a beautiful 61 outside this morning. We got into the 70's yesterday and sunny so I opened the sunroof and rolled down the windows and cruised to the dr's and back.

My breast is doing fine. It is heavily scabbed and she said that is not common, but considering how heavy my breasts are it is not uncommon because when breast tissue is removed there is a build up of fluid. Ok, sooooo, I have to go in to see her in another 3 weeks and hopefully the scabbing will have fallen off, etc. She wants me to have a mammogram and sonogram done in November, which is my yearly anyway.

I am going upstairs to get the bedding on the spare bedroom bed and wash it and do the bathrooms and dusting. We gave the spare bedroom bed, the tv and dvd player to one of Kelly's friend who got divorced and doesn't much. The bed has only be slept on a couple times total and the dvd player has been used once along with the tv so basically everything is new. I want to make that room into a closet somewhere along the line in the next few years so am happy to give them to her. Jay's family always stays in a hotel and Thomas is old enough to stay by himself so he doesn't stay the night anymore either so there is no need for a bed in there.

I got the nicest compliment from my surgeon yesterday. I was sitting in the exam room waiting for her and she comes in and sits on her little stool and rolls it next to my chair and sees my shirt and jewelry on top of my handbag and tells me she thinks I have such wonderful style. I was flabbergasted to say the least. I only know I don't go out without hair and makeup and decent clothing on. She is probably used to fat people walking around in tshirts and sweats because frankly, that's what I see when I am out and about. Of course for some reason the black community here that is overweight goes with skin tight leggings and boob showing tight shirts. All I know is you want someone to talk about you behind your back, go out looking like crap.

Jean: Have a fun time in Hawaii!!!!! I know you will be glad to be away from the snow and cold.

Maggie: I have read about 6 of the Robert Crais books now since you made mention of them. I like the Elvis Cole character too.

Susan: Hope you are doing well. Are you doing the tax job this year??

Everyone have a great Wednesday. I am off to reading and doing some knitting then tackling the upstairs. Faye
Old 02-19-2014, 11:13 AM   #15  

Good morning, ladies! 62 degrees and sunshine but rain this evening.

4 of my friends and I started a new quilting bee. Last night was our first meeting. It sure was fun. This week I have my bee at the library tonight, tomorrow night is Ladies of the Evening and Friday is lock-in at Bella's. Next week is Mid-Atlantic Quilt Fest (I have 3 pieces hanging there) so I'll have plenty of good times!

I'm was thinking about retiring but today I had a CPA who used to rent office space where I work come in and he wants me to work just one day a week during tax season and after it is over take over the office manager position fulltime. It's tempting to do for a couple of years but then I don't know if I want to be tied down again. The extra money would be good because I'd save it and pay cash for a new car. I'll be praying over this for sure.

Faye, I'm glad everything is okay after your surgery and the healing process is progressing. It seems like it has been a very long, cold winter and I am so ready for spring. I did the same thing with our spare bedrooms. I use one for an office/fabric storage and the other for my sewing room. That was very nice of you to help that person out.

Jean, how wonderful to be in Hawaii! Enjoy the sun but don't get sunburnt.

Maggie, I hope things are good with you!

Have a wonderful day!