Old 02-19-2014, 02:17 AM   #1  

Default Phase off OR try IP Phase 1 Alternative?

So, I've been struggling a lot and I'm just not sticking to plan well enough to lose at the rate I did in the beginning. I'm down 50 pounds but not yet to "goal" which will require another 25-30 lbs. loss. However, after 6 months mostly "on plan", I am out of mojo for Phase 1.

Added to this is the fact that we're coming into our "busy season" at work which means the next 4 months of my life will be insanely busy. I would like to lose the additional 25-30 lbs. BUT I'd 10x rather phase off and MAINTAIN what I've already lost than risk burning myself out to the point that I just freaking don't care anymore. It also became clear to me that I need my stamina back to get through the next couple of months at home and work and a very low calorie diet isn't going to provide what I need in that respect. I was sore for 3 days after doing yard work this weekend and that's just not going to work for me as I NEED to be active, both for work and for everything else I have going on.

So, what would be the best thing to do at this point? Should I see if Alternative Phase 1 will work for me and accept the slower losses as the consequence for better energy OR do I phase off and try and learn to maintain this change in a healthy way then pick it up a Phase 1 again to get the final weight off when busy season is over? The MOST important thing to me is not to regain. Is there another option I may have overlooked?
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:13 AM   #2  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Do you have a coach and have you discussed this with him/her?

The answer could be as simple as you sticking to the plan and adding an extra packet or protein to account for increased activity. When you say you haven't been following the plan closely do you mean you've added carbs? Sugar? If you're regularly eating enough carbs to take you out of ketosis and then lowering trying to get back in that could make you feel pretty bad.

It's worth a chat with your coach about either switching to the alternative plan or maybe phasing off for your busy season. Have you thought about doing a P2/P3 combo during that time? You'd still be getting more calories but it would still be low cal enough that you should be able to continue to lose.

Just a few thoughts.
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:33 AM   #3  
IP started 12/17/2013

S/C/G: 195/163/155

Height: 5'4"

Default Bindersbee- out of mojo

[QUOTE=bindersbee;4946707]...I am out of mojo for Phase 1. QUOTE]

Out of mojo-- that says it all.But just hang it there, you'll make it happen.
One extra packet sounds like a start.
ssubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:00 AM   #4  
maintaining since 9/2013

Huge congratulations on your success so far, and also for recognizing your current mind/body state of motivation! I second Ruth Ann's suggestions, and your as well. On P1, I just didn't have that much mental let alone physical energy to meet any extra challenges. It sounds like you're motivated to keep to a structure, just one that provides more energy and variety for now. Sticking to a plan, imho, is key to long term success, even if you maintain rather than lose.

There's a something to be said for "occupying the the territory"" of your lower weight for a while and then moving down from there when you're ready. There is a thread in the Living Maintenance (hosted by Pattience) forum that asks how maintainers have gotten their weight off and kept it off. A number of maintainers reported that they achieved an initial big drop, 50 or more lbs, and then took a year or two or three more to lose the rest.

Last edited by mars735; 02-19-2014 at 10:01 AM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:27 AM   #5  

I would also second a huge congratulations to you for your success! That is amazing! Way to go. I do understand the needing a break and wanting to maintain before moving forward with the last 30lbs. I think taking some time off is a good idea if you are feeling burned out as well. With spring and summer around the corner, there is always lots to do and setting into your losses is something I would probably to do. No dount that being OP is a challenge and taking a break to celebrate before jumping back on is a fine idea IMO.
eandc2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:16 PM   #6  

My suggestion would be to phase off. Pay particular attention to how you feel and stay on p2 for a full week, two weeks if going OK then two weeks of p3. If at some point you think "hey, this is liveable!" then stay on that phase longer. If not, continue on to p4. Consider doing p4 "lite", maybe without a fun day or just a 1x or 2x a month fun day, plus maybe continuing to limit the vegetable choices to similar to phase 1 rather than unlimited vegetables. My thought is that might give you a tiny bit less than enough calories, so you could see no gain or maybe a quarter to a half pound a week weight loss. I would keep the protein on the high side, meaning 6 to 8 oz at lunch and dinner rather than the "half your body weight" suggestion.
Other than the need for the additional calories (a great sign that your body is functioning better than when you started!), is there some other problem you think this will solve, like a need to snack or a need to be able to have more restaurant choices or something along those lines? I ask because you will no longer have the ketosis to keep the hunger at bay and it MIGHT be easier for you to overeat. Basically, is it "I'm just sick of this" or is it "I'm hungry and if I just had a little more food..."? Alt phase 1 gives you a choice at each meal from a select fruit, dairy and carb group--it's one of each per day, not per meal. It's kind of a p4 very lite, but it may be the extra fat that you need to feel satisfied rather than the carbs. So it really depends on what is driving not wanting to stay p1. Too many choices?
infoplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:38 PM   #7  
maintaining since 9/2013

infoplease, you would be a great coach.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:08 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars735 View Post
infoplease, you would be a great coach.
I agree!
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:29 PM   #9  

aw, thanks, mars735 and djs06!
infoplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:52 AM   #10  

Lots of great advice here! I initially thought that I would do a "hard push" until mid-March then phase off. However, I totally fell off the wagon on Valentines Day. I am simply burned out with the total lack of carbs. 6 months is a long time to go with very little carbs. I've been losing 4 lbs. then gaining 3 then losing again for the last 6 weeks which means too many little cheats. If I'm not going to REALLY do Phase 1 to the max, then I SHOULD do something else. I don't want to keep spending the money and kidding myself about my commitment level until I am so burned out I quit without phasing and maintaining.

I have talked to my coach and she's supportive of whatever route I take. I have given her mixed messages because I wasn't sure which way to go. My big concern is simply that I won't have the time to do things right yet Phase 1 is the least time intensive for meal prep so that's part of the indecision.

I think I will go with infoplease's suggestion: "If at some point you think "hey, this is liveable!" then stay on that phase longer. If not, continue on to p4." That seems like a reasonable direction and maybe a bit of a "break" without phasing all the way off will work?
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:08 AM   #11  
knm

S/C/G: 146/146/125

Height: 5'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindersbee View Post
I think I will go with infoplease's suggestion: "If at some point you think "hey, this is liveable!" then stay on that phase longer. If not, continue on to p4." That seems like a reasonable direction and maybe a bit of a "break" without phasing all the way off will work?
I think this is a great idea. Last year I went on vacation and decided to follow phase 3 during that time. I worked out every morning and the big breakfast satisfied all of my cravings. When I returned from vacation I was ready to get back into the swing of Phase 1 and committed to that for a few more weeks to lose the last few lbs. During Phase 3 I didn't lose any weight, but being on vacation we ate out quite frequently so although I did my best to follow plan, it seemed like something would always sneak on my plate that probably wasn't 100% OP (too much oil, too much salt, etc). Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide and how it goes!
knm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:22 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 292/278.9/170

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

What did you ended up doing? I'm thinking about switching too!
Cath138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:40 PM   #13  
Started IP on 3/1/2014

S/C/G: 237.5/207.5/140

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Lots of great advice here! I initially thought that I would do a "hard push" until mid-March then phase off. However, I totally fell off the wagon on Valentines Day. I am simply burned out with the total lack of carbs. 6 months is a long time to go with very little carbs. I've been losing 4 lbs. then gaining 3 then losing again for the last 6 weeks which means too many little cheats. If I'm not going to REALLY do Phase 1 to the max, then I SHOULD do something else. I don't want to keep spending the money and kidding myself about my commitment level until I am so burned out I quit without phasing and maintaining.

I have talked to my coach and she's supportive of whatever route I take. I have given her mixed messages because I wasn't sure which way to go. My big concern is simply that I won't have the time to do things right yet Phase 1 is the least time intensive for meal prep so that's part of the indecision.

I switched from the regular IP plan to the IP Alternative plan because I did not have enough energy after being on the regular plan for a month & a half. Now that I have added 1 serving of good carbs and 1 serving of fruit (I typically don't add the 1 serving of dairy), I have felt soooo much better and I have a lot more energy! I did yard work for 3 hours straight this past weekend, and it felt great!

I'm still losing weight, but I feel better and have more energy... it's a win-win!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
karkrazy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:20 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 265/154/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
I went to Phase 2 in December after a very long stall on P1. Then I went to P3 in March... and it's been GREAT!

I am still losing weight after two months on P3, but I have also increased the intensity and/or duration of my workouts. (I love exercise!)
My plan is to stay here until I lose a few more pounds and then I'll be at my goal.

Everyone's different, but it sounds like work will keep you active and that an extended P3 may work well for you. Good luck and let us know how you're doing!
JenJen444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:00 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 292/278.9/170

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

Thanks karkrazy13 and JenJen444! I'm switching to alternative phase 2 so i'll learn to eat balanced meal and still lose weight and be able to do bar method 5 to 6 days a week :-)
Cath138 is offline   Reply With Quote