Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 07:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Default 300+ Chat Thread: February, 2014

WELCOME!!

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support, inspiration, and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone (roosters as well as chicks!) to join us in our journey. We share laughter and tears, heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations. We also share what works for us and what doesn't.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group... we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us!
Old 02-01-2014, 07:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Late starting the thread today - let's get this month rolling.

POP day yesterday and finish today same way. Tomorrow holds a birthday cake challenge for my 86 year old mom. I can say NO and hug her.

Let's do this!
Old 02-01-2014, 10:07 PM   #3  
♥ Creative Writer ♥

S/C/G: 345/343/170

Height: 5'2

This is my first one joining I'm not sure what I'm doing uhm... but here's a crack at it!

Today has been a pretty good day! I did great with eating healthy and not falling to the temptations of sugars (other than a small square of 60% organic dark chocolate). Instead I had my tea, healthy cooked foods

Sadly I didn't get any exercising in but being a 345 pound woman walking around and up and down stairs (laundry & dryer are in the basement) I'd like to think is a feat in its own you know?

Tomorrow I plan on getting in some exercising maybe a 15-20 minutes dvd workout or a video on youtube or maybe some wall push ups or something along those lines I just want to get up and moving!!

((Also Side note: sorry for all the smileys xD I do them a lot))

Last edited by BloomingKiki; 02-01-2014 at 10:07 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:19 PM   #4  
~Erin~

S/C/G: see siggy :)

Height: 5'6

BloomingKiki: Welcome!! I know what you mean on the exercising! Just walking to do normal stuff is a task in its own for me.

Today I got myself outside and attempted to help with the snow. Key Word: ATTEMPT. lol But hey, at least I was there for moral support while the DH did it. I will be participating in a "walk for a cure" for PKU in May, so I have 91 days to get myself ready Super excited to do it. I have a 9 year old who was diagnosed at birth with this genetic disorder. Got my fundraiser all set up and ready to go! Weigh in tomorrow. Been under calories all month, but 1 day. Will see if those drinks and dinner last night affect me tomorrow.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:02 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 380/ticker/180

Height: 5"9

Hey all.... soo ummm, what happened to January? I am so not ready for this month... I know for the next 22 days my life is going to be painfully busy...

I kind of fell off the wagon (face of the earth) but I am back and want to be accountable.... I am weighing in later this week no matter what scary number the scale says.

I did spend this past weekend with migraines and nosebleeds.... so that kind of sucked.... but I am going to enjoy this new semester of classes... and on my feet a lot more as I teach in 3 different classrooms this semester, plus still have to find time to meet with my Humanities staff, and mentor my first year teacher... and still planning a play with my students from last semester doing lunch rehearsals (maybe, they have to show up)

*deep breath*.... I can do this.

Hope you all have a great day!
Old 02-02-2014, 10:17 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

Welcome BloomingKiki to the group. This is a very active thread with a lot of support and interesting people on it. Sounds like you're doing well with getting in the rhythm of eating healthy and exercising. And, yes, I count going up and down stairs to do laundry as exercise!

Edo -- Good for you for trying to help with the snow. We do what we can do and if it's not what we wanted it's still better than sitting in the recliner watching TV. I just googled PKU and so admire parents who deal with medical issues with their children on a daily basis. And I mean that in a very positive way -- there's something very special about parents who find that extra something to help their children with a medical issue. Ubee shows the same grace and dignity.......ok, maybe not dignity, Ubee, but certainly grace!

Time4me -- So glad to see you post again. I fell off the earth as well -- maybe that was you I waved to as I was floating around trying to figure out how to get back into a good orbit! Your schedule always wears me out -- you definitely always have a plateful of things to do.

I've finally been able to get back on plan and am being pretty successful at sticking to it. Both nephews and the little grand nephews were down yesterday to see my BIL before his surgery tomorrow. He's having hip replacement done, and I'll be his coach and caregiver since my sister passed away 5 years ago. My younger nephew is helping with getting the new computer set up at the Co-op, and of course, there's the Super Bowl game which I'll watch since the Seahawks are playing. I've got snacks planned for the game, but there's a lot of protein and very little in the chips and wasted calorie range. Probably won't post for a couple of days due to the surgery and needing to be at the hospital. Catch you all soon.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:22 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Good Afternoon!
Kiki! Yes any movement counts as exercise.
Erin, I also had to look up PKU... I also looked up the diet. We can and will do anything to help our kids! We follow Grain Brain and it is making such a difference for our daughter with autism. I bet next year you will be much better with the shovel.
Betsy, guess I will have to return your covered dish with something in it since you will be helping your BIL recover. Be patient some of us are not good patients. Thanks for caring. All went well and they did not find any cancer. This has left me more determined then ever to get and stay healthy. I hope you find a few minutes to check in. I look forward to your posts and we all know what happens when we take a break from here... for whatever reasons.
I need to get moving. Slow and steady, just keep at it.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:29 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 377/350/180

Height: 6'0"

Hey guys super lazy this weekend so no real updates. Hope everyone is well. The scale is being somewhat kind. So I'm doing my best to keep my eating on track today. We're already into february this is nuts!

Last edited by silentarctic; 02-02-2014 at 04:34 PM. Reason: lazy people..... lazy!!
Old 02-02-2014, 01:36 PM   #9  
~Erin~

S/C/G: see siggy :)

Height: 5'6

So frustrated this morning! I have stayed under calories all week but 1 day. And a gain of 4lbs! Not sure what my body is up to but very disappointed. I will keep chugging along though and hope for a great number next week! I know I up'ed my calories from 1500 to 2000 this week because I was told by many that they didnt feel I was eating enough. Think I need to go back down to what was working for me.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:51 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Silent, whoa! Was your last post TMI or a typo? That made Betsy and I sit up and take notice. (Sorry it is a slow day...)
Erin sorry about the frustrating weigh in. Been there. Good attitude about sticking with it!
Old 02-02-2014, 03:25 PM   #11  
♥ Creative Writer ♥

S/C/G: 345/343/170

Height: 5'2

@Edo: Thank you and yes I'm glad we agree. Well hey at least you tried That's what counts though right? 90+ days is plenty for you to try your best at doing what you can. Sorry to hear about your weigh in, perhaps your body was retaining water? Well I'm sure things will get better Good Luck!

@Time4Me: You may have fallen off the wagon, thats fine it happens to the best of us. Sorry hear about the migraines & nosebleeds I do hope things get better. It sounds like you're in for a very busy semester coming up. Good luck with that! You got this! You can do it!

@Betsy: Thank you for the welcome and yeah I'm trying my best! that's the most I can do! ^_^ It's good you've been able to keep on track! Just stick with it, you've got this! Sorry to hear about your BIL I hope everything goes well. and Ooh Superbowl. I forgot about that. I'm not much for sports but my dad is so I'll be watching that with him today.

@Ubee: thank you! and yes I agree whole heartedly Any movement counts as exercise!

@Silent: It's good to relax every so often right? All you can do is try your best, that's what counts! ^^
Old 02-02-2014, 04:36 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 377/350/180

Height: 6'0"

Ubee - I know we're just getting to know each other but seriously! I meant LAZY! ...
Old 02-02-2014, 05:18 PM   #13  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

Howdy folks, I'm getting off to a pretty good start with the Month of Letters challenge: posted 2 postcards (PCs) on Saturday, and I already have 2 more PCs plus a long letter in a handmade mail-art envelope ready to take to the P.O. tomorrow to be hand-cancelled. I'll probably have at least one more letter to add to those before I get in my car tomorrow.

It's a real relief to have that long letter written because not only was I way overdue in writing to that gal, she sent me a book for the winter holiday that I hadn't acknowledged yet! Nothing like other relationships to take my mind off the recent break-up with my Belgian buddy, right? And I already have five possibilities for people to correspond with in French, although I'm afraid a couple of 'em are just lookin' to practice their fledgling skills in the language. Whatever...it's all good.

Dietwise, I decided to start off February with the experiment of going back on strict Atkins induction level. In other words, no more muesli. As of a few months ago, I started charting my morning, afternoon & evening mood levels, so if the Big Bad Depression comes knockin' on my door again, at least I'll see it comin'.

I have to wait until the 25th to find out the results of my STRESSful test, so no serious cardio until then. But I'm keepin' up with my nightly leg exercises, and I have plenty to do with all these letters and PCs to write...

BloomingKiki— Nice to meet you! Say, if you don't want to fuss with the DVD or YouTube, you could always just go up and down those stairs for another 15-20 min. I think a square of dark chocolate now and then is what the doctor ordered: there are so many health benefits to dark chocolate, I'm losin' track of 'em all. Can I call you just Kiki? =smile=

Erin— Awww, you don't need to get bent out of shape over 4 pounds. You lost a mind-blowing amount of weight last month, and the human body always has a 4-lb range depending on how much water you have on board. Have you considered making a graph of your weight? I like doing that, because even if there's a blip upward now and then you can always admire how the general trend is downward. I'm really impressed you're going to get yourself ready for that "walk for the cure"! How long will the walk be? Have you got any kind of training program in mind?

silent— I agree with you: it's nuts that it's already February. But it's my birthday month, so it always puts a smile on my face. February is spring in my home town of Houston: it's the most flower-intensive month of the year. How's that for crazy? =grin=

Ubee— I'm SO glad to hear all went well with your surgery and your path results. I had you in my prayers. Have you got anything special in mind for your next challenge, or is keepin' the family on the Grain Brain diet plenty to do for right now?

Betsy— Sorry to hear you fell off plan for a bit...do you have any handle on what went wrong? That's such a truly wonderful thing you're doin' to be your bro-in-law's caregiver after his surgery. Do remember that men especially tend to regress emotionally when they're dependent on others for a while—which is a fancy way of saying they kind of act like babies and have a hard time dealing with the temporary loss of function. So if anything like that happens, be ready to reassure your BIL that it's totally normal and no big deal.

Melissa— Sorry to hear about your iffy January, but good for you that you're up for being accountable now. Migraines and nosebleeds combined sounds truly horrendous! I hope that's all over...

OK, well I'm off to try to compose a letter in French to a complete stranger... =laugh=
Old 02-02-2014, 06:15 PM   #14  
Master(de)bater

S/C/G: 308/259/215

Height: 6'4"

Hi all!

Sorry I haven't been around here for a few days. Was getting frustrated last week, and things have been pretty busy in general.

So first the good news 299 => 296.1

I ate fairly piggishly sat night (out with a friend) and was at a conference yesterday. I went hungry because they said there was breakfast, but only bagels... So I went to the hotel restaurant and ate piggishly for breakfast too. Never go into a restaurant too hungry! Ate well the rest of the day and today though.

Anyway I thought the scale would punish me, but I am happy, because last week I went up to 302 remember?

Didn't get much exercise this week, but just got back from 50 minutes on the stationary bike, keeping my heart rate at about 140-150, feel pretty good!

I am thinking of joining a dietbet challenge... Will decide tonight.

I hope everyone is well, will try to check in regularly this week
Old 02-02-2014, 09:02 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 340/268.8/160

Height: 5'4"

February already!?!?! Gee whiz!!

I was a bad girl and didn't check in much this weekend lol...But I did pretty well with staying on plan. I made my kale chips on Friday and they turned out great. DH didn't like them, but that's ok, they aren't for him :P and went to my friend's apartment across the hall and chit chatted for a bit.

Went over to my grandma's house for a visit on Saturday to finish up my stuff with my health insurance since the bill and paperwork came in the mail. Everything is all paid up so my coverage will start on 3/1 I can't wait because I really need to make an appointment with the OBGYN to look at my ovaries and see if my cysts have gotten any bigger since the last time they were looked at.

DH and I went to the gamer store here and picked out a new game today...I kinda had to bribe him to go shopping at the grocery store with me so that's why he got the game :P Got some really good stuff for food this week, only needed a few things and saw that the store I went to had coconut sugar. I didn't buy it but good to know its there. I'm a little hesitant about buying it. For those who have tried the coconut sugar what does it taste like in comparison to regular sugar? Right now I use pure stevia but I know if I want to bake or even have coffee it doesn't taste the best.

I've been doing a lot of research on my PCOS this weekend. I was able to find out that I am going in the right direction on the right diet for someone with the disease to lose weight. My problem right now is dairy. I have given up regular milk, which was no problem for me and switched to Diamond Almond Brand Coconut/Almond milk. Its really good. I read that I should give up all dairy because of the hormones and such, even the organic and hormone free milk has this certain hormone in it that makes women with PCOS have increased insulin levels and does not help with testosterone levels. I've been eating cheese and greek yogurt which may be safe, but I'm going to at least try to cut back on it to see how it affects my body, and if I notice no difference I'm not going to worry about eating cheese and yogurt every so often. I also will be having to make sure I eat grass fed, free range meats because of the hormones that are in non organic, free range meats. This is going to be a lot more money for me to eat that way, but I don't want to damage my body any more than I have and will hopefully help me lose the weight I need to. I'll just have to budget it out.

Tomorrow is my weigh in day and I'm hoping to at least be where I was. Earlier this week I ate pepperoni and cheese rolled up in a flour tortilla a few times as snacks so I'm hoping that doesn't hurt me.

No personals tonight but welcome Kiki to the group!!! I'm off to finish prepping my lunches for the week and head to bed. Hope everyone had an awesome weekend!
Closed Thread